User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #31
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
This is my very first black powder revolver. I know it sounds weird but I used to have a pretty big trapline at a very young age. A fur buyer would come to the store at the end of the season. I was a sucker really as he would have a few guns and things laid on the trading table and I was only about 13.

He bought my pelts and traded me this pistol for my best grey fox pelt about $40.00 at the time in about 1980. Now it would be about $10.00 if you are lucky.

It is a cheap .44 Italian reproduction and the last time I fired it about 20 years ago it chain fired on the first shot. I still cannot believe how all the balls got out without blowing the gun apart. It is just a wall hanger now.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #32
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
I've been thinking of getting a BP gun, choice is between flintlock or percussion. From reading some of the BP forums, it appears you can buy a cheap percussion rifle, but you really need to spend $800 or more for a functioning flinty. They seemed down on the Pedersoli rifles, preferred US made stuff. I think one of the rifles on the first page of this thread was one that was mentioned as a keeper.

What's it like to shoot a flinty, with the spark and pan flash and the glacial lock time? Flinch city?
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #33
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

For a first bp rifle I would say percussion. Espesially if you are going to hunt with it. Flints are cool and I will say my most memorable hunt was with a flint double 10 ga. The flinch thing depense on the peron. I guess you could compare it to golf as in follow through.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 01-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #34
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post

What's it like to shoot a flinty, with the spark and pan flash and the glacial lock time? Flinch city?
It was for me so I gave it to my hunting buddy. He still has it. I can't shoot it without flinching really bad. I've killed a couple deer with it, but I like my T/C Pennsylvania Hunter much more. It has a slow twist barrel perfect for shooting ball. Traditional style, too.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Anyone have any experience with the Navy style revolvers sold at Cabelas and Bass Pro?

I've been eyeing them for years because theyre so cheap, but I figure there's a reason why.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #36
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
I've been thinking of getting a BP gun, choice is between flintlock or percussion. From reading some of the BP forums, it appears you can buy a cheap percussion rifle, but you really need to spend $800 or more for a functioning flinty. They seemed down on the Pedersoli rifles, preferred US made stuff. I think one of the rifles on the first page of this thread was one that was mentioned as a keeper.

With a flintlock, it's all about the lock. A cheap lock will sour you forever on shooting flintlocks. A good one is fast, and the frizzen is properly hardened and set up to throw a shower of sparks into the pan. I bought one of those Hawken-type rifles from Cabelas, and ended up replacing the poor Italian lock with a replacement US-made L&R lock.
The flash can be distracting. For me, I have to wear wrap-around shooting glasses,and concentrate on the sight picture. Really, the pan ignition is just a puff of white smoke off to your side,with an almost instantaneous firing of the rifle.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #37
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Navy style revolvers sold at Cabelas and Bass Pro?

I've been eyeing them for years because theyre so cheap, but I figure there's a reason why.

Honestly, They are probably built better than the original. But originals took at least 10 times the work to build.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #38
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
Honestly, They are probably built better than the original. But originals took at least 10 times the work to build.
I'd really like to get my hands on one because I think they're beautiful and I like the methodology of measuring out the powder, pressing in the wad, setting the ball, etc.

But I also understand that the residue of spent shots is highly corrosive so you have to clean them thoroughly after each outing. I'm paranoid I'd miss an area and screw something up.

Also, I don't know how most ranges view the use of BP firearms.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #39
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
I'd really like to get my hands on one because I think they're beautiful and I like the methodology of measuring out the powder, pressing in the wad, setting the ball, etc.

But I also understand that the residue of spent shots is highly corrosive so you have to clean them thoroughly after each outing. I'm paranoid I'd miss an area and screw something up.

Also, I don't know how most ranges view the use of BP firearms.
The cylinders are easy to remove-then you unscrew the 6 cap nipples, and wash them and the cylinder in hot soapy water, and dry it. Then you run hot water down the barrel (on a colt, it's a separate piece), a patch or two down the barrel on a cleaning rod, and then lightly oil everything up, and reassemble. After a little practice, it goes very quick.
Most indoor ranges will not allow BP pistols-too smoky.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #40
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
The cylinders are easy to remove-then you unscrew the 6 cap nipples, and wash them and the cylinder in hot soapy water, and dry it. Then you run hot water down the barrel (on a colt, it's a separate piece), a patch or two down the barrel on a cleaning rod, and then lightly oil everything up, and reassemble. After a little practice, it goes very quick.
Most indoor ranges will not allow BP pistols-too smoky.
Cool.

I figured as much with the indoor ranges.

I figured most ranges would restrict them because of that and also obstructing the view of shooters next you. The range I shoot the most at is outdoor though.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #41
Stromdog OP
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:

I bought my 1858 Remington .44 cal. revolver from Cabelas. I was, quite frankly, surprised at the fit and finish. It was made by Pietta of Italy. It is quite accurate at 25 yds. using Pyrodex P (FFFG equivalent). The trigger on mine is nice and crisp and the action is smooth and sure. It's not a Colt Python or slicked up, K frame Smith, but it ain't a bad piece of iron, all things considered. I like mine a lot.

I don't know whether or not these pics are any better than what you can get from their (Cabela's), website, but here are pics of mine.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #42
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,021

I think this is my .50 cal hawkins flint.

have several flint and several caps.

also percussion pistols. My favorite is a .44 colt army pocket model. It has a really nice balance.

Also have several peacemaker replicas. Been meaning to start reloading them with blackpowder just for the show!

1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.

mfp4073 screwed with this post 01-22-2011 at 09:54 PM
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #43
nessy357
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
All of my family are shooters.
nessy357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:35 AM   #44
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 350
'49er farkled with an extra cylinder in 32 S&W has been a recent passion.

Not practical. Just Crazy Cool!
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #45
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessy357 View Post
All of my family are shooters.
I see atleast two left handers in that picture. What are they?
I have a TC Renegade Lefty that I bought as a kit. It was the only lefthanded kit I've ever found.

TC Renegade

TC Encore

I like the Rengade more. The Encore will be turned into a .308 rifle.

http://abuddyforlife.org/

Will LC8 screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 06:04 PM
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: