ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 06:45 AM   #511
8gv
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: North central CT
Oddometer: 2,347
Just like....

Fishing licenses. Sporting goods stores often sell them. If the law isn't going to change then more points of distribution will aid in compliance. The bike retailers have an interest here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
I'd like to see it too, but the perfect is the enemy of the good. We got a freebie for years and now it's over. You can't ride on the road with just an ORV sticker (used to be plate not sticker). And now you can't ride on the State Forest trails with just a street plate. Oh well.

Practicality of obtaining the stickers is a bigger issue, especially for out of state visitors. The offices where you can get them (not the usual Motor Vehicle offices but the DEP) are few and typically have weekday-only hours. They are the government, they have a monopoly, they can go honey badger on ya and they still get their pay.

If they are going to require stickers, they should be widely available through moto shops and clubs, similar to how snowmobile trail stickers are sold. I don't think it is inherently "wrong" to require a trail sticker to ride trails. Those of us who dualsprt were spoiled since we got in for free for so long.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #512
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Fishing licenses. Sporting goods stores often sell them. If the law isn't going to change then more points of distribution will aid in compliance. The bike retailers have an interest here.

Much like when you buy a street bike, the dealer should go to motor vehicle dept to register for offroad also!
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #513
Bigred460
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Foothills of the Berkshires
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
If they are going to require stickers, they should be widely available through moto shops and clubs, similar to how snowmobile trail stickers are sold. I don't think it is inherently "wrong" to require a trail sticker to ride trails. Those of us who dualsprt were spoiled since we got in for free for so long.
I would have no problem buying a trail pass. This is not, it's a second registration. It's an effort to re-define my motorcycle as a "recreation vehicle", and to confiscate my earnings to be used in enforcement to ban me from state property.
Bigred460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #514
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scottbed's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington, MA
Oddometer: 453
Question GPS track file for 200?

Anyone have one? Thanks.
__________________
Happy to be here...
'02 DR650
'00 DR650
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #515
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer
 
fizzerfz1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Woosta county, MA
Oddometer: 756
There were two public hearings on this issue in the last month (one in Boston and one in Worcester). I was in one of them. All the problems that the out of state riders would face were brought up in these meetings. It was also mentioned that there will be a loss of 'tourist' income if these new laws were enforced on out of state riders.

Netra is working out something to relax these rules at-least for racing and organized events and there are some active threads covering these in the NEDB forums...

Not sure if there will be any positive outcome, but the best thing is to do your part.

Laws are made by people, elected by the people and the people have the power to change the laws, but we just need to get our act together and approach this issue in an organized manner.

Contact your state representatives and tell them that you are a voter and you are not happy with these new laws.
__________________
DR650 - FZ1 - 200 EXC (plated - Not inspected yet)
fizzerfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #516
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbed View Post
Anyone have one? Thanks.
We have asked numerous times that this route, and the 100 also, not be distributed. This has been honored (as far as we know) every year since inception. It's a charity fund raiser and some areas aren't open for use except with special permission.

Thanks to all for keeping this to themselves.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #517
Bigred460
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Foothills of the Berkshires
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1 View Post
Not sure if there will be any positive outcome, but the best thing is to do your part.
Amendment #36 was rejected, back to square one.
A new bill is being worked on now.
Bigred460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #518
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scottbed's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington, MA
Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
We have asked numerous times that this route, and the 100 also, not be distributed. This has been honored (as far as we know) every year since inception. It's a charity fund raiser and some areas aren't open for use except with special permission.

Thanks to all for keeping this to themselves.
Excellent, thanks for the clarification. I won't ask anymore. I was bummed I missed it due to a mechanical issue I had on Saturday and just not enough time to fix it. Oh well, hopefully I can hit the 2 day.
__________________
Happy to be here...
'02 DR650
'00 DR650
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #519
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1 View Post
There were two public hearings on this issue

Netra is working out something to relax these rules at-least for racing and organized events
Not sure if there will be any positive outcome, but the best thing is to do your part.

Laws are made by people, elected by the people and the people have the power to change the laws, but we just need to get our act together and approach this issue in an organized manner.

Contact your state representatives and tell them that you are a voter and you are not happy with these new laws.
It was denied. Budget amendment #36 was not allowed to be even voted on by Senate president Therese Murray. She authored the original piece of crap law and wasn't a big enough person to think that it may have flaws.

MA residents could still try calling her office and express outrage and explain the loss of touist monies as well as the charities that many clubs fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbed View Post
Oh well, hopefully I can hit the 2 day.
It's in jeopardy of being cancelled because of the new MA laws.

Call Sen. Murrays office and complain.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #520
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 6,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
It was denied. Budget amendment #36 was not allowed to be even voted on by Senate president Therese Murray. She authored the original piece of crap law and wasn't a big enough person to think that it may have flaws.

MA residents could still try calling her office and express outrage and explain the loss of touist monies as well as the charities that many clubs fund.



It's in jeopardy of being cancelled because of the new MA laws.

Call Sen. Murrays office and complain.
It doesn't have the same effect but out of staters can write as well. Letting them know we want to spend money their and can't since it is prohibitive to get a license on a weekday in Springfield when you live in NYC.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #521
viverrid
not dead yet
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Western Mass
Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred460 View Post
Amendment #36 was rejected, back to square one.
Well ya got your wish, the Amendment that didn't go far enough has failed. So now we have the original law that sucks even worse and could outlaw Pee Wee events and decimate Juniors.

Aside from extra fees for dualsporting, there were OTHER aspects of the law that NETRA was understandably concerned about; paying 30 bucks for a second Chapter 90B registration ("street" is Chapter 90) wasn't the highest priority.

The suburban and urban districts in Eastern MA don't care about legal trail riding, they are more concerned with trying to get a numbered sticker on the side of the outlaw punks riding illegally and trespassing on land in their neighborhoods.
__________________
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:51 AM   #522
ktmjohn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ktmjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Wrong Island, NY
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrivermaz View Post
Everywhere that isn't a public way.

So, that means:

every state forest trail and every piece of private property that is used for recreational riding.

Just about everywhere other than the street!

You can call the EPO at:http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/contactus.htm
Missed the ride but it was lots of fun last year?
... just stumbled across this Mass trail law stuff whawha what ?!

Where is the other thread to get people aware of this.
What enviro-mental group is pressuring, lobbying and paying off legislators this time? or is this just some other abuse of power? or another example of legislators unable to be financially responsible forcing themselves to make more bad decisions?

__________________
It doesn't have to be fun, to be fun.

www.lirtc.org | www.occr.net


ktmjohn screwed with this post 05-30-2011 at 04:56 AM
ktmjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #523
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,543
Thumbs down MA trail law stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmjohn View Post
Missed the ride but it was lots of fun last year?
... just stumbled across this Mass trail law stuff whawha what ?!

Where is the other thread to get people aware of this.
What enviro-mental group is pressuring, lobbying and paying off legislators this time? or is this just some other abuse of power? or another example of legislators unable to be financially responsible forcing themselves to make more bad decisions?


Some information here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691595

Quite a bit more is available on NEDB, not sure that linking to another site (although I consider them complimentary rather than competitors) is kosher so you will have to search a bit.

Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #524
Bigred460
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Foothills of the Berkshires
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Well ya got your wish, the Amendment that didn't go far enough has failed. So now we have the original law that sucks even worse and could outlaw Pee Wee events and decimate Juniors.

Aside from extra fees for dualsporting, there were OTHER aspects of the law that NETRA was understandably concerned about; paying 30 bucks for a second Chapter 90B registration ("street" is Chapter 90) wasn't the highest priority.

The suburban and urban districts in Eastern MA don't care about legal trail riding, they are more concerned with trying to get a numbered sticker on the side of the outlaw punks riding illegally and trespassing on land in their neighborhoods.

I didn't want the amendment to fail. My wish was for NETRA not to take a passive approach to the issue. With our side willing to compromise at every juncture, it's makes it to easy for the state to shut us out.
Bigred460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #525
Gargoyle
Trail Jester
 
Gargoyle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: upstate NY, USA
Oddometer: 1,176
The next BTR club meeting is this coming Thursday (June 2) at 8:00pm.


Location is The Log House Restaurant, 110 New Hartford Road (Route 44), Barkhamsted, CT.

Many members arrive early and have a bite to eat before the meeting starts.

We always welcome new members. Come get involved in YOUR sport.
__________________
'11 Husaberg FE570S
'12 KTM 990
'13 Husaberg FE350
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014