User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,571
Track days

Who actually does these? Car or bike? Where? How much?

When I read the specs on new sporty/sports cars/bikes, they have electronics for track modes. I thought to myself, who actually does them? What percentage of buyers go to the track that would warrant such a feature? I thought it was just an ego button on the dash, i.e., hey, my car can go fast on the track and yours can't

A few years ago my buddy who goes out to Willow Springs to do track days on his CBR, wanted to throw my Hawk in his pickup and take me with him. IIRC, it was about $300 for the day, and he said I would need new tires afterwards. His track bike was a dedicated machine, he also had another street bike. Since my bike was my only transportation at the time, I declined.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,214
I never have, but would love to. I think it'd really improve my riding and my confidence on my machine.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,903
It's like explaining sex to a virgin. Ya gotta try it man.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,647
There are usually vehicle/equipment restrictions for track use, wire tied fasteners, taped glass or safety glass only, no glycol coolant, full leathers, 4 or 5 point harnesses, hans device, etc. It all depends on the track and who is running it.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,141
Never did a real wide open track day, but did take CLASS a few times. Once with a Harley, once a 750 Nighthawk, once with a VFR800. I'm not a hot shoe type guy so that was plenty of experience for me - and it's pretty educational - you really learn to trust your tires if you do it right, and Reg is a real big guy on smooth riding - easy inputs, etc. - no diving into corner chopping throttle and hammering brakes....

I think that a course like that does improve your street riding skill, and yes, it's a pain to have to buy new tires before the class.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,775
I did track days hardcore for 4 years on a 600. First time, the bike had 500 miles on it and was street legal with street plastics and I rode it there and back. After that, race plastics and a trailer.

You think you can ride? Ha. Not until you've done track days. And even after 4 years, there was ALWAYS folks faster.

It got the Ricky out of me for the most part. Now I ride a Geezer Harley.

And a Ducati.

I loved track days. Loved passing guys on liter bikes.

But the boat is what I do on weekends now.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Who actually does these? Car or bike? Where? How much?

When I read the specs on new sporty/sports cars/bikes, they have electronics for track modes. I thought to myself, who actually does them? What percentage of buyers go to the track that would warrant such a feature? I thought it was just an ego button on the dash, i.e., hey, my car can go fast on the track and yours can't

A few years ago my buddy who goes out to Willow Springs to do track days on his CBR, wanted to throw my Hawk in his pickup and take me with him. IIRC, it was about $300 for the day, and he said I would need new tires afterwards. His track bike was a dedicated machine, he also had another street bike. Since my bike was my only transportation at the time, I declined.

...and how much varies buy club, around here they do premiums one club does buy three get one, of if you run X days one season they throw more at you later.

Another way to do it cheap is corner working a lot will let you work the morning and ride the afternoon.

In these parts you don't have to safety wire or get funky with the coolant until advanced, which takes a lot of the prep work out. You don't really chew tires unless you have sport touring rubber, I got 5,000 miles and I think 4 (or 6 don't remember) out of the stock Super Corsa SPs that came on my 675.

Lethers are a must, FF helmet, gauntlet gloves and armored riding boots.

After that a lot of the time you can basically painter's tape all of the glass on your bike, check the pads and take it to tech....where I ALWAYS get nailed for chain tension, its always either too lose or too tight, sometimes both in the same day lol

Prices range from $125 (with memberships) to $220 a day, with multi-day discounts being pretty common, just depends on where and with whom you are riding.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
It's like explaining sex to a virgin. Ya gotta try it man.

I've done it once (track day guys, get your heads out of the gutter!) two years ago and I would love to go back. And that was in a Honda Civic Si

If I had a Miata or BRZ or... Yeah, I would go again. The track day I did was $125 at Eagles Canyon Raceway outside of Fort Worth. Price for bikes is the same, except I would need leathers, new tires, etc.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 AM   #9
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,135
Not sure if I would want to....years ago I raced, (SCCA F-Production...that is where the name comes from FPGT72...F-prod opel GT #72)...while I know I can't race anymore, just not sure if the juice would be there for a lapping day.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
I did many on two wheels. As others said. Very educational. Of all of them, my favorite track day was on my husqvarna 610 SM at mid ohio. Woefully under equipped for the big straight, it topped out at 107 indicated. Then I would scream by everyone who had passed me on the straight once we hit the twisty parts. A pair of douches on liter bikes said my lines were making them nervous. Translation - they couldnt stand getting passed by 53 horsepower on their 180 hp technological marvels. I reminded everyone we were in the advanced sessions, and if someone didn't know how to deal with a person taking a less conventional line and experimenting a bit perhaps they should step back to the intermediate group. That was the end of that discussion. Which brings up a good point - there are dickheads everywhere, and yes, you will find people who are actually trying to "win" the track day. Some will even complain after you pass them and try to get you removed from the group or the track all together.

Typically you'll find true skill to be in relatively short supply, while bravado, ego, and stupidity is plentiful. Still, for the years I was doing it I was absolutely at my best as a rider. A day at the track is better at sharpening skills than thousands of miles of road riding.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
I have done both bike and car track days... as a spectator. I've really enjoyed them. The ones I've went to have been free to watch, bring a lawn chair and a cooler type of thing. They made for pretty relaxing days.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
A pair of douches on liter bikes said my lines were making them nervous. Translation - they couldnt stand getting passed by 53 horsepower on their 180 hp technological marvels.
No really, SMs run totally different lines than bigger bikes, I've seen that one more than once, They are usually way closer inside on sweepers and and way further out on transitions, so they cut across the lines of the SS bikes at odd places, its pretty disconcerting.

I brake early and them go zinging by so I don't have to deal with it.

Hell on of the orgs around here was talking about not letting them on lightening at NJMP because that track is really REALLY fast (there are basically two places you are under a ton at advanced pace) and the SMs were causing issues in every class with people having to check up because of the difference in lines and closing speeds.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
I've done maybe a couple dozen track days in the past few years on my Daytona 675, on five different tracks. As stated earlier, it's just like sex - once you do it, you know why everyone loves it. It's a great way to really learn what your bike is capable of, and to take chances in a safe environment. I leaned that 675 over far more than I ever thought I could, and I probably still had more. I finally learned how much throttle will make the rear wheel spin a little in corners, but without risking getting run over by an SUV. I found out how quickly I can scrub off speed without losing control, and how to find the best line through curves. It's just a great way to learn more about motorcycling.

Many track day organizations have a "try the track" thing that they run during lunchtime. Give that a shot, or go for the full introductory day. I've ridden with four different track day organizations, and they were all low pressure, and a decent group of people to hang out with.

I bought my wife a 370Z last summer - I'm waiting until she goes to visit her mom or something, so I can take it to the track too...
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
No really, SMs run totally different lines than bigger bikes, I've seen that one more than once, They are usually way closer inside on sweepers and and way further out on transitions, so they cut across the lines of the SS bikes at odd places, its pretty disconcerting.

I brake early and them go zinging by so I don't have to deal with it.

Hell on of the orgs around here was talking about not letting them on lightening at NJMP because that track is really REALLY fast (there are basically two places you are under a ton at advanced pace) and the SMs were causing issues in every class with people having to check up because of the difference in lines and closing speeds.
Great, but if the organizers allow it and if you are in an advanced session the motto is "adapt and overcome".

I spent lots more time on an R6, a Buell XB12 Firebolt, and even an FZ-1 than I did on a sumo, and at multiple tracks. I was out there with many sumos, and like you I adjusted without complaint. What's significantly more disconcerting to me are the idiots who talk their way into a class that is way over their heads on bikes that are way beyond their control and capabilities, and the track coaches allow them to stay there.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Great, but if the organizers allow it and if you are in an advanced session the motto is "adapt and overcome".

I spent lots more time on an R6, a Buell XB12 Firebolt, and even an FZ-1 than I did on a sumo, and at multiple tracks. I was out there with many sumos, and like you I adjusted without complaint. What's significantly more disconcerting to me are the idiots who talk their way into a class that is way over their heads on bikes that are way beyond their control and capabilities, and the track coaches allow them to stay there.
Not to thread-jack.... But how did the FZ1 do? I have recently bought a first generation FZ1 and am contemplating a track day.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: