huh what???

Oddometer: 768
Roku

who's got one? Pro's, con's?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,153
Roku Roku is more than 100 y/o manufacturer of high speed mlling machines and their speciality is graphite electrodes machining.

One of the best machines in the world.
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
kimel
I hit what?

Oddometer: 210
I think he means the internet entertainment streaming device. Although the milling machine would be more fun.

Got a Roku a few months ago. It works very well for streaming Netflix, internet radio (e.g. Pandora) and so on. More and more channels are coming online and there are a lot of "private" channels you can add for some other content.

A lot of what is coming available now is pay-per-view or subscription based.

I got the newest, HD model and was glad I did. Netflix isn't streaming HD yet but Amazon and others are. My bandwidth isn't high enough for HD anyway but does a great job at Netflix. Usually 3 or 4 out of 4 quality.
kimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,349
Got the XDS for christmas and mostly like it. My only complaint is the freezing digitized picture that sometimes makes motion less than good.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
bradleyd
dummy on two wheels

Oddometer: 77
I'm waiting for the Netgear NeoTV 550 to hit the US. Good reviews for it. The Roku is next on the list. The WD TV Live is way down the list.

'12 Triumph Street Triple R
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050 (sold)
'08 Triumph Daytona SE (sold)
bradleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Lovin' it Strom
Now low fat!

Oddometer: 2,792
I got a Roku player about three years ago. The first one I got was a lemon, but they replaced it within 24 hours with no complaints. The once I am using now is still running strong.

There is a rumor that netflix is going to do away with mail DVD's entirely and put everything on netflix.

Picture quality is really good. We get the occasional blur or audio not fully synched with video, but those are pretty rare for how much time we spend watching it.

I would recommend to a friend.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
muddymopar OP
huh what???

Oddometer: 768
ya the milling machine is cool but I am thinking about getting the streaming device seems like a good deal for a hundred bucks
Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
USMCG_Spyder
RPOC pilot

Oddometer: 5,124
Love mine to death. I have a solid wireless connection so I don't have any problems at all with picture quality.

Finding that damned thing saved me a lot of money and work and I had it set up in about 5 mikes after already being well into my cups.

I don't often recommend products but I have no problem backing this one 100%.

USMCG_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
I got the newest, HD model and was glad I did. Netflix isn't streaming HD yet but Amazon and others are. My bandwidth isn't high enough for HD anyway but does a great job at Netflix. Usually 3 or 4 out of 4 quality.
Netflix does stream some hd content. I use it with a wd tv live hub w/ powerline network and it works great. I would guess they are in the process of updating their content to hd.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
I have one of the original Roku boxes and it is great. I all you want to view is Netflix that you may want to get a Blue-Ray player that has an Internet connection for Netlfix and other stuff. I recently have ordered a Boxee Box which has more capabilities than the Roku. They don't have Netflix yet but it is coming and they do have Vudu and all the other things including the ability of playing /viewing all the stuff on your computer including mp3/video/etc...

Jon

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSJon View Post
I have one of the original Roku boxes and it is great. I all you want to view is Netflix that you may want to get a Blue-Ray player that has an Internet connection for Netlfix and other stuff. I recently have ordered a Boxee Box which has more capabilities than the Roku. They don't have Netflix yet but it is coming and they do have Vudu and all the other things including the ability of playing /viewing all the stuff on your computer including mp3/video/etc...

Jon
I'd be interested in hearing about this. I almost pushed the button on an AppleTV yesterday, but decided to wait, as the "only" non-Apple content available for it is Netflix.

A key feature for me is the ability to play video's I have on my iMac's external hard drive on my TV, streamed wirelessly.

Your description of the Boxee implies it will do this. So I'm all
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
I'd be interested in hearing about this. I almost pushed the button on an AppleTV yesterday, but decided to wait, as the "only" non-Apple content available for it is Netflix.

A key feature for me is the ability to play video's I have on my iMac's external hard drive on my TV, streamed wirelessly.

Your description of the Boxee implies it will do this. So I'm all
You gots enough bandwidth now to handle streaming video? If so, there are tons of options. I still don't stream it from the outside, I rip it, store it in house for playback locally.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
I just got one this week. LOVE IT. I am using it on my wireless DSL connection that bounces between 2.5 and 5 Mbs download times with no problems. No pixelation or blurs. But then again, I am not watching anything in HD.

Watched "The men who stare at goats" tonight. Goofy movie, but it was great to watch it. Tons of older movies that I want to watch again, but too cheap to buy or rent.

Just discovered that I can "rent" movies from Amazon as well. Tons of titles and most are around $4 to rent (or PPV, actually). Pretty nice system. I am very pleased, especially since we already had a Netflix subscription.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
padiii
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I have one of their original models. It has worked great. I run it wireless and use it for Netflix, Amazon and Pandora. As already stated, most of the other "channels" offered are pay services. Just today I changed the Netflix account to streaming only as we have found that the dvd's just stay near the TV and never even get viewed since we are now in the habit of just watching the steamed content. Video quality is great. However, last night my son was playing xbox online, I was watching Vimeo and my wife was watching Netflix. Her video quality was about as poor as I've seen from Netflix. I'm sure it was because we were using our DSL so heavily. I'd buy another Roku in a heartbeat.
padiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Netflix does stream some hd content. I use it with a wd tv live hub w/ powerline network and it works great. I would guess they are in the process of updating their content to hd.
I really wish Netflix would allow YOU to choose the quality level. My internet connection sometimes slows for a few seconds and if Netflix starts downloading at that point, it will switch to SD and you cannot get it to go to HD.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: