Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #61
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,460
I was actually all set to get a Roku last night, but then a little more research revealed that it won't play AVI files. While I would like it for the channels and such, not being able to replace my WD TV Live means yet another device hooked up. Screw it. I'll look at them again down the road. From the forum posts I've read, I'm not the only one feeling that way.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #62
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I was actually all set to get a Roku last night, but then a little more research revealed that it won't play AVI files. While I would like it for the channels and such, not being able to replace my WD TV Live means yet another device hooked up. Screw it. I'll look at them again down the road. From the forum posts I've read, I'm not the only one feeling that way.
mmmm that may well answer my question. Well that kinda sucks - like you I just want one box to do all the streaming, from WHATEVER source (local or internet). My Asus does a great job of the local stuff but it doesn't do the internet streaming (either 'well' or 'at all' - I cannot figure out which)
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #63
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Look at the Boxee Box. I'm pretty sure I have played some of the on it.

I have an original Roku and a Boxee.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #64
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,574
I was wondering when the Boxee would get mentioned.

I have an Apple TV. It's good. But some of the things ya'll are mentioning are options I'd love to have, that I don't.

Maybe I'll consider jailbreaking it...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #65
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post

I have an Apple TV. It's good. But some of the things ya'll are mentioning are options I'd love to have, that I don't.

That is what truly sucks about Apple

They are the biggest uber control freaks in the business....but shit, their marketing is second to none
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #66
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,746
Quote:

Boxee is good. I haven't used the appliance as it works a treat on my Macbook Pro.

Free is key!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #67
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

I really believe it's only a matter of time before the content providers (TV networks, HBO, ESPN, etc) "sell" their programming directly to the consumer and bypass the cable companies.

A huge shakeout that will be.

Time to unload Time Warner and Comcast stock.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #68
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,662
Quote:
I really believe it's only a matter of time before the content providers (TV networks, HBO, ESPN, etc) "sell" their programming directly to the consumer and bypass the cable companies.

ESPN has already talked about this. Pro sports leagues have already done this in various places around the world. I've got my Roku, and I'm waiting for my NFL package!

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #69
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,746
Quote:

Not so fast....this is already happening in certain areas and has been in a beta format for a while now. If you have TW cable with a set top box you're already running Cisco's IPTV software. Whether the data comes in on coax, fiber, copper doesn't matter...the companies you're dealing with today also control the infrastructure that the data rides on. They're not going anywhere.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #70
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

No doubt.

That's why all the cable companies have been investing in the new broadband technology (like 4G): to make sure they're still in the value chain.

But biz has no scruples. If the content providers think they can make more $ going directly to the consumer, they'll find a way, I believe.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #71
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
Got the XDS for christmas and mostly like it. My only complaint is the freezing digitized picture that sometimes makes motion less than good.
That's either your internet connection (most likely) or the content providers servers, not the Roku.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
I have been looking into getting one of these boxes.

Where exactly does the content come from, besides services like nexflix that you have to pay for?

Do they allow you to browse the internet or check email, etc from your tv over the wireless network?
You can stream a slide show from your SmugMug account!

My new favorite:
MotoSportWorldTV, formerly race fans TV. Slowly working through the collection of "Legends of Formula One" and Isle of Man coverage.

Carroll Shelby at LeMans in his TX overalls, from "Legends of the 60's"

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #72
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
ESPN has already talked about this. Pro sports leagues have already done this in various places around the world. I've got my Roku, and I'm waiting for my NFL package!

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Hopefully Formula1 will do this. What a treat to be able to watch the BBC feed with David Coultard instead of those morans from Speed. (Well, with any luck, they'll wait until Bernie dies, or it will cost $1999.00/season)

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #73
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
Hopefully Formula1 will do this. What a treat to be able to watch the BBC feed with David Coultard instead of those morans from Speed. (Well, with any luck, they'll wait until Bernie dies, or it will cost $1999.00/season)
There IS a way to do this already....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #74
_vortex_
snow snow snow :(

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:

Are you kidding? Those backwards goofballs are going the otherway.

I just read an article where they are trying to force Hulu to only stream to consumers who have validated that they are subscribing to cable.

Edit - version of the article: http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/30/rum...-subscription/
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #75
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,460
The cable companies are getting around the content providers going directly to you by imposing data caps on the broadband you're locked into via their monopoly. In some areas, you already can't watch a movie a day on Netflix or you would hit your data cap. I expect it to get worse over time.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: