Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #226
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
It's better than a stock 990. Dumb luck or attention to detail, the bike has no quirks or bad habits. I had a couple of guys ride it and the reviews were positive. The bike feels very balanced, stable. I'm running a TKC front tire and the front end feels just a little vague entering a decomposed granite turn real aggressively, I don't know if it's the tire or something in the geometry? The relocated pegs and the Versys tank being shorter made the ergos feel right.
My son bought a Ninja 650 this spring, for a sport bike, not for mutating. This past weekend we went on a 600 mile ride (all paved) and we switched bikes for a while, I did not have my ninja, was riding my Cross Roads. This was the first chance I had to really put some miles on the stock ninja set up. All I can say is building a dirt ninja without doing something with the stock peg location and stock rear shock is a big mistake. The ergos are way wrong for an off road bike with the stock peg location and that stock rear shock is, well, it is a joke.

Good job 4play, the bike looks great.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #227
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,278
Thanks, the seat to peg on mine is still a little tight for long trips, a taller seat would help, but it would be too tall for my legs for the off road stuff.

I trimmed some versys side panels for the tank, makes me wish I had them before I reshaped the seat, it's still better than the exposed brackets.

I'm an engine guy so I went ahead & tested the Versys intake cam in the Ninja motor, it's 12 degrees less intake duration & is a direct swap. I had the valve cover off anyway to check the valves. These are the cam specs

Ninja 650R/ER6:
Inlet- open 31 BTDC................Exhaust- open 50 BBDC
close 61 ABDC........................close 30 ATDC
duration 272..........................duration 260
cam height 36.6 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm

Versys:
Inlet- open 25 BTDC................Exhaust- open 47 BBDC
close 54 ABDC........................close 25 ATDC
duration 260..........................duration 252
cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.4 +/- 0.057 mm

I had talked to & read post from the guru's that had done a lot of testing/developing 650R's on road courses. The intake swap was a very popular inexpensive mod for boosting torque off the corners. The peak HP figures were very close to the same, but the torque curve was broader & came in a little sooner. It was a cheap ebay item & I can swap it back easily. I installed it & rode the bike with my wideband O2 sensor before & after. All of the readings were very safe acceptable numbers. I like what it did for my type of trail riding. The torque improvement is noticable & I don't sense any loss of top end.
My 115 mile trail ride Sunday yeilded only 41mpg, but I was carring the front end anytime I had a rise in the trail & playing out of every corner to see what the bike was capable of. We slabbed it back at 75 to 80, had one hilarious stop light grandprix (guys on big dirtbikes experiencing more traction than they thought).
I won't be reinstalling the Ninja intake cam.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #228
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Thanks, the seat to peg on mine is still a little tight for long trips, a taller seat would help, but it would be too tall for my legs for the off road stuff.

I trimmed some versys side panels for the tank, makes me wish I had them before I reshaped the seat, it's still better than the exposed brackets.

I'm an engine guy so I went ahead & tested the Versys intake cam in the Ninja motor, it's 12 degrees less intake duration & is a direct swap. I had the valve cover off anyway to check the valves. These are the cam specs

Ninja 650R/ER6:
Inlet- open 31 BTDC................Exhaust- open 50 BBDC
close 61 ABDC........................close 30 ATDC
duration 272..........................duration 260
cam height 36.6 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm

Versys:
Inlet- open 25 BTDC................Exhaust- open 47 BBDC
close 54 ABDC........................close 25 ATDC
duration 260..........................duration 252
cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.4 +/- 0.057 mm

I had talked to & read post from the guru's that had done a lot of testing/developing 650R's on road courses. The intake swap was a very popular inexpensive mod for boosting torque off the corners. The peak HP figures were very close to the same, but the torque curve was broader & came in a little sooner. It was a cheap ebay item & I can swap it back easily. I installed it & rode the bike with my wideband O2 sensor before & after. All of the readings were very safe acceptable numbers. I like what it did for my type of trail riding. The torque improvement is noticable & I don't sense any loss of top end.
My 115 mile trail ride Sunday yeilded only 41mpg, but I was carring the front end anytime I had a rise in the trail & playing out of every corner to see what the bike was capable of. We slabbed it back at 75 to 80, had one hilarious stop light grandprix (guys on big dirtbikes experiencing more traction than they thought).
I won't be reinstalling the Ninja intake cam.
Very interesting, I would be willing to trade some 10,000 rpm torque for low RPM torque. From what I understand, but have done very little research, is that the Versys engine has less torque every where than the Ninja. But changing the intake cam to a Versys cam, improves the bottom end on the Ninja motor? Can you direct me to the road racing post u mention?
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #229
4play
Next?

The Versys has less compression & smaller cams so yes the torque & horsepower are lower. I don't want a Versys motor, but like you said, I'd be happy to trade a couple of 10k HP to have the torque come in a little sooner. You don't want the Versys exhaust cam, just the intake.

I'm still running the stock muffler, thought about changing, but it's not in my way, it's tough, I'm really enjoying the quiet, it's free & Forest service legal.

This is one of the sources

http://www.brp650forum.com/phpbb3/vi...php?f=4&t=2240
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #230
4play
Next?

Really having fun with the Ninja, rode over 300 miles yesterday mostly offroad, with some 80mph highway thrown in connecting the trails.

The landing (baby jump)

Swimming lessons

The improved suspension, the sewing machine like engine, the quiet stock exhaust make this kind of outing so relaxing, a real change of pace from my KTM animal (I love it for what it's for), NOST revalve of the rear shock was worth every penny, very plush, but much improved ability to handle rain ruts etc.

The Versys intake cam did exactly what I was hoping it would, the torque comes in a little sooner & it still revs like a Ninja. If I lost any HP, I don't feel it. My fuel mileage was a bit better this outing, 4.04 gallons for 202 miles.

4play screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 07:27 PM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #231
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 955
Damnit, stop temping me... this is local for $400

and I'm so on the fence right now... just trying to decide how much I like having a butt to sit on, or if I can sacrifice some to the chewing out I'll get from the wife.

Glad there are several of you guys who've done this already though, I've got zero machining experience or tools...

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #232
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post

and I'm so on the fence right now... just trying to decide how much I like having a butt to sit on, or if I can sacrifice some to the chewing out I'll get from the wife.

Glad there are several of you guys who've done this already though, I've got zero machining experience or tools...
If nothing else,you can part it out and double your money.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #233
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 668
No brainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post

Ass chewing for great project bike fodder ? d d d done !
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #234
4play
Next?

If that were here, I'd be all over it myself

I think a street tracker Ninja would be very cool
Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #235
4play
Next?

1500 mile Report

I thought I would give some feedback on how the Thinja is doing.
Overall I am very pleased with what the bike can do. It behaves very much like a 990 adventure, very stable, capable but is lighter & gets better fuel economy. I'm averaging 42mpg spirited trail riding. Lots of on & off the throttle, elevation changes & AZ sand washes. I'm still geared 6% below stock effective gearing between my 150/18" rear tire & 15/52 gearing. A 49T rear or a 16T front would put it right on the money for the odometer.The way it's currently geared works well offroad.
The suspension works very well, all I did to the front was change to 52 springs & the forks work very well, The rear works almost as well condsidering the stroke ratio & the relatively small piston in the R1 shock.
The revalve that Pete Russel did was the key.

The bike is fairly tall for a 30" inseamed rider, partially because of the width. I might seriously look at a 17" rear wheel. The swingarm extension, although the bike is very stable and the weight distribution is 49/51 front to rear, I might consider only adding an inch to the swingarm with a 17" wheel. With the stock swingarm it wheelied over obstacles a bit easier than it does with the 2.5" extension. The seat to footpeg distance is still a bit tight, but with the rocks I ride in I don't think I'd lower the pegs any farther. A taller seat for road trips would be a good idea.

The engine is awesome, staying with the stock exhaust is definately the way to go. I will admit at times I'd like a bit more sound, but I'm actually enjoying the quieter little sewing machine, The air filter is a bit small, you really need to hang back out of the dust or lead.

The street manners are very good, nothing that as done by me or Dave seems to have taken much of the Ninja out of it. I'm running a Mefo Super Explorer rear tire & a TKC front. They make very little noise & the rear is very good offroad, the TKC front pushes a bit on decomposed granite, but it is predictable & does very ell on pavementl

If something happens to this one, I like it well enough I would build another
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #236
4play
Next?

I've put 2000 miles on it now, zero issues. It's packed for a 700+ mile mostly offroad weekend. Is it Saturday yet?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #237
4play
Next?

I'm pretty sure I'm the only Ninja that has been through this area

Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #238
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I'm the only Ninja that has been through this area
Come on now, we all know ninjas love rocks

Northern AL creek bed
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #239
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,827
I regret selling mine

I think I need to start looking for another donor bike.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #240
4play
Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
I regret selling mine

I think I need to start looking for another donor bike.
Since you already have the DL650, have you seen this thread?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913007