User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Coho911 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
KTM 640 A - "Other bike stuff that will fit mine" Thread

I am curious as to all the other parts off bikes that will fit KTM 640 Adventures from the simple to the unbelievable.

I am starting this thread because the bike has been discontinued and sometimes parts are harder to find & there are things I am curious if they will go on the bike with next to NO modification, such as : will KTM 950 /990 rims fit a 640A ?

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 26,007
I hear the 950 front end will swap easily onto the 640 frame. Plug and play.

You should try that mod.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Coho911 OP
Beastly Adventurer

WILL FIT : Wolfman Denali Tank bag - (similar to the Explorer), designed specifically to fit a BMW 650 GS.

**Same footprint as the Explorer**

(photo courtesy of Sherpa)
--------------------

WILL FIT : KTM Right Mirror mount - relocates Right mirror OFF the master brake cylinder & onto the bar (to prevent snapping a mirror & draining your brake fluid all at once) - Designed to fit a KTM 950 / 990.

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU

Coho911 screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 11:34 AM
Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911
I am curious as to all the other parts off bikes that will fit KTM 640 Adventures from the simple to the unbelievable.

I am starting this thread because the bike has been discontinued and sometimes parts are harder to find & there are things I am curious if they will go on the bike with next to NO modification, such as : will KTM 950 /990 rims fit a 640A ?
The rear wheels from the RFS bikes will also fit. I know this because guys with EXCs looking for cush hub wheels use 640 Adventure ones. We just reverse them. Brake rotors and sprockets are interchangeable as well.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,505
KTM = Keeping Things Modular.

Id spend all day typing up a list of shit that will fit. Quite honestly, there are more parts that WILL fit from other bikes than won't.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Coho911 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe this thread should grow as a HUGE list and be linked to the LC4 Index Thread.

(It sounds like it is knowledge that should be archived and shared)

Old 08-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
The rear wheels from the RFS bikes will also fit. I know this because guys with EXCs looking for cush hub wheels use 640 Adventure ones. We just reverse them. Brake rotors and sprockets are interchangeable as well.

Sean
I am lead to believe that the suzuki drz rear wheel will also fit.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
I hear the 950 front end will swap easily onto the 640 frame. Plug and play.

You should try that mod.

Front end including the triple tree.
The forks are a larger diameter.

On that same not the steerheads are all the same, triple clamps, forks etc. are the only variation.

Wheels from 99-'08 are all the same on 125cc to the 625.
08 690 is the dividing line

Any KTM front fender will work on any KTM, with no mods only difference the mounting studs are either on the fender or on the mask. You can swap both

Front and rear wheel/hubs/spokes/rotors/brakes from a 99-07 125-640 are all the same

Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
Front and rear wheel/hubs/spokes/rotors/brakes from a 99-07 125-640 are all the same

I have to disagree about front wheel . Good luck finding front hub for 2000 640 adv with standard forks. I ended up buying Eagle hub.

And rear hubs don't have cush drive on 125-525.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

You guys are actually gonna make me do this huh? I'm gonna start this, then come back and add pics for explanation afterwards. It's a work in progress.
I am excluding the 690 from this list as I do not have one and have not spent any time working with it. That said; the front ends should still swap based on my limited knowledge.

Ok, so everything I know is basically interchangeable from 1993-2010 everything wont' fit ALL bikes, but here's a good rule of thumb.

There are basically 3 front ends, you've got Conventional forks (WP or Marzocchi), 43mm WP's, and 48mm WP's.
The conventionals have a 19mm axle
43's have a 21mm axle
48's have a 26mm axle

With me so far? They all use the same steering stem and bearings, therefore you can put a set of 2009 closed chamber SX forks onto your 1993 250exc if you have the right triple clamps. Now: the triples are available in several different configurations. The older ones <99/00 do not have adjustable bar positions and will hold a 7/8" bar, this is the case on the dirt bikes, I'm pretty sure it's the same with the LC4 models. The 2000-2006 models are the "Cast clamps" and have different bar mounting flanges than the 2007(SX)-2010 "Machined clamps". The little pads are a different width, I don't know why, but they are. It's pretty obvious when you look at the finish of the material what clamps they are.

Next is OFFSET. There is a great article about offset at www.emigracing.com . Take the time to read it if you have not. The ~2001 125 SX came with a 14mm offset, almost all EXC models of 250 and 300 came with 22mm offset. The new "Machined Clamps" have adjustable offset by reversing the steering stem (18mm - 20mm), and the SXS special clamps from KTM hard parts also have this feature (17.5mm- 20.5mm I think, it's listed in the Hard Parts catalog). My 525 has a set of 14mm clamps from TOPAR that came on it when I bought the bike. I'm not sure if they're helping me or not, I'd like to try some 18's. Gaspipe also liked the 18's on his 640adv, just for reference. Not everybody would be able to tell the difference, but I'd stick with 18-20mm if you have the choice.
One thing to remember is that the conventional forks have the same diameter top and bottom clamp (45mm for WP, 50mm for Marzocchi Extreme forks). The 43 and 48mm WP's have the same top clamp. The lower clamp is the difference. The only way to tell is by measuring them, I don't have the diameters for reference.

So, back to forks and wheels. All KTM's dualsport and offroad models since 1993 have the same brake rotor mounting dimensions. The diameter, and styles have changed over the years/models, but the 6 little bolts haven't. The 310mm "Supermoto" caliper bracket and rotor in the hardparts book, is an OE rotor and hanger for the 640 Adventure. The Galfer front rotor for a 950 ADV will fit on your 125 SX (you'll flip yourself over the bars, but it'll fit ).
Rear rotor mounting is the same deal, diameters are all pretty much the same from what I've seen (Except the 990/950 adventure models). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
As stated above: Conventionals get the the 19mm axle and the associated wheel. That will cover from 1993-1999 plus a few other models.
43mm forks get the 22mm axle and it's associated wheel. 2000-2004 (2003 SX models). This axle will accept the 26mm wheels with the proper spacers, there used to be a KTM# for them, but it's been disco'd.
48mm forks get the 26mm axle and wheel. 22mm axle and wheel can be used with proper spacers in the fork lowers. Also a KTM# for this part, but I haven't looked it up in a while. It was in the 07 hardparts catalog I know for sure.

FRAMES:
Things get a little muddy here at times, but if you break it down it's comprehensible. In regards to the DIRT BIKES( I don't know about the LC4's if somebody could chime in) 1993-1997 are the "old" frames, 1998-2004 are the "round tube" frames, 2005-2007 are the "oval tube" frames, and 2007(SX)-2010 are what I'd call the "NEW" frames. These obviously arent' official terms, but for our purposes that's what I got.
Frame fitment is based on motor, 125 and 200's share an engine configuration and cases so you need a 125/200 frame for your bike. These motors have been essentially unchanged since 1998, so there are plenty of options out there for you.
250/300 got a new engine in 2004 with the "oval" frame, it's a few lbs lighter than the older motor, and they did the same again in 2007 with the "NEW" SX and e-start models in 08. Confused yet?
RFS models have the same cases from 250-560cc. They are a crank/piston/cylinder swap away from whatever displacement you could ever want. This is from it's release in 1999 to the 2010 Beta RR models (KTM dropped the RFS in the bikes in 2007 with the road legal EXC models). This includes "Round" and "Oval" frames. For example, I've got a 2006 "Oval" frame swapped into my 2004 525. The difference in handling is dramatic.
There have been several changes to the frames over the years, steering tube location, and rake, etc... The 2004 RFS frame is (IMHO) the worst of them. The 04's wouldn't turn for shit. For 2005 KTM went with the "Oval" frame in the RFS and 2-stroke models.

SUBFRAMES. There are three styles: 2 bolt seats with the 3pc rear plastics, the 1 bolt seats with the 1pc rear plastics, and the "NEW" 07(SX)/2008+ style, also 1 bolt. Between these two options they are interchangeable among only the 2-stroke series and 4 stroke series, not between them.
LC4 models have different frames but yet again with the same engine layout and subframe attachment points. The airboxes are different within the different models so be sure to get the airbox that matches your new subframe. Member Beaney has swapped a SXC tail section onto his Adventure model. I plan to do the same with mine.

SWINGARMS: Several different models that correspond with the different frames as listed above. Just remember that 2-stroke swingers and 4-stroke swingers do not interchange easily. I'm not sure on the LC4 models, but I am fairly certian that they're pretty much all interchangeable.

REAR WHEELS: 1993-2010, will fit all 2T, 4T, and LC4 Models. LC4 has the cush drive and the wheel swaps the other way 'round. Yes, Virginia, you can put supermoto wheels on your 450, 125, and your LC4ADV.

FOOT PEGS: In 2004 KTM introduced the newer, WIDER footpegs on the offroad models. The LC4 got them too, however the 640 adventure had some funky inverted left side on. So, with the application of the SXC left side aluminum footpeg hanger you can use ANY aftermarket KTM pegs. Including IMS, Fastway, etc... These footpegs are the same from 1993-2010 (in my experience). None of the aftermarket mfg's list a peg for the older bikes. However if you'll compare a newer stock part to your original piece, you'll notice the similarities and the diameters of the pins are the same. THEY WILL WORK. I put a set of fastways on my 1996 360 back in 05. I contacted them about it, and it's still not listed in their catalog.

Any questions?

CodyY screwed with this post 08-14-2009 at 10:52 AM
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Coho911 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh

Thats what I'm talking about !!

Link this thread to the KTM LC4 knowledge base as :"CodyY KTM 640A parts compatibility list" !!

(helps a TON for replacement / repair / upgrades on my 640 as they arise...)

Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

It only took me 45 mins of straight typing.

Oh, all that is off the top of my head, so LMK if something needs editing or if you guys have better LC4 info.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Great info, thanks CodyY. I just printed this out and stuck it in my toolbox.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
Pokey66C23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
engines/frames/LC4s

The 95, RXC 620 motor will bolt right into a 99 LC4e frame, (oil in the frame type). Everything from a 96, 620 SX will go right on a 99 LC4e frame. The 96 SX had no oil in the frame, kick start only motor. A 99, 640 LC4e motor will bolt right into a 97, 620 Adventure frame. These are two project bikes I have been working on. I need advice on a wiring plan for the SX/LC4e/RXC bike. I have a 2001 Adventure electrical system and a spare instrument cluster off of a 01 Adventure, just need headlight plan and tail light. I may build a carbon fiber dual headlight/fairing/insturment cluster unit. Any suggestions? Going through all this just to legally put a plate on a 620 SX.

The 97 Adventure is a rebuild of the Cycle World long term test bike I kept from being parted out.

To stay sane I have a 03 640 Adv that keeps me from getting too stressed about my project bikes..........
Pokey66C23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Is it pretty safe to say that ANY (older) LC4 will physically swap into any other LC4 frame? I know the oil in frame vs not will be different.