User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,138
Pissed KLR Won't Start....

So, my buddy has my old KLR. 92, about 22k miles. New battery. Removed the side stand and clutch lock-outs long, long ago. Petcock changed over to Raptor type long ago.

He drove the bike to work today....started/ran fine.

Came out to work 8 hrs later. It cranks great but no start. Choke on, Choke off. WO throttle....nothing. Not even a hint of firing.

Kill switch in run. Lights come on, horn/turn signals/brake lights work.

Good fuel flow out the carb drain.

Bike cranks great but not even a hint of trying to start.

We left the bike in the parking lot.

What do I need to check in the am???

I'm guessing spark 1st.

Are any particular fuses going to cause a non-start issue???

Let me know what you think as I'm out of ideas.

Oh, BTW....We were leaving on a ride up the coast in the am.....
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,650
diagram...

http://www.buttonhome.org/gallery2/m...2_itemId=25297

if it turns it should start... all the interlocks that kill ignition also kill the starter

maybe check the Bk/W wire that comes from the CDI & magneto.... it goes to the key switch and kill switch. if it goes to ground it turns the bike off. in fact, check the wires real close by the countershaft. sometimes they get rubbed.

any other symptoms leading up to this? spark or no?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Thanks for the info. Spark status unknown. Will be checking that this am. We did just change the chain and sprockets though the wires down there looked fine. Will re-check them. We also moved the R switch/throttle cluster about an inch (and then back) while adding Barkbusters. I realize these are potential smoking guns but can't get my head around the fact it started/ran fine after we did the work. Kill switch does sound suspicious. What's the best way to trouble shoot this?
Thanks for your help!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
if it turns it should start...
+ 1.

Ignition circuitry is totally separate from charging circuitry on Generation 1s (pre-2008).

Check for spark.

RED and BLACK/WHITE wires from magneto to CDI carry AC for ignition power; grounding BLACK/WHITE wire is kill mechanism for both ignition switch and engine stop switch.

Two wires from the pickup coil near the rotor/flywheel (their colors change along their route) must reach the CDI unit to trigger the spark.

With all connections sound (including spark plug wire), you'll need an operational alternator exciter coil assembly, CDI unit (resistance matrix in service manuals), pickup coil, ignition coil and spark plug to run the engine.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Kill switch does sound suspicious. What's the best way to trouble shoot this?
In STOP position, BLACK/WHITE is grounded; in RUN position, ground is lifted (ignition switch must be in ON position for this test).

BLACK/WHITE is grounded also when ignition switch is in OFF position.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Check for spark first. Check for fuel to the cylinder. Check for compression. All three can be checked after the plug is removed. That's the three things you need for it to run, (and they have to be timed right of course). Find which one you are missing before you look for the cause, it cuts the looking part to one third the time then.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Will be doing that in about 1 hr. Was just trying to back track as to what has been recently changed. My confusion, as noted, is the running fine, then not. Cranks fine. All lights, etc., working. Points to spark. Gas smell from pipe last night while cranking, good fuel flow to carb. Will be pulling the tank, checking the plug/spark. If none, suspect something in the kill switch though (as usual) I could be completely full of poo.... Valves were done less than 5k ago and bike was running/starting fine. Will update when we get her pulled apart.

Unfortunately, my shop manuals are all up at the Orygun place and I'm down in California....

Thoughts- CDI sudden death??
Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
I just read a ride report where a guy on a KLR had some wires rub through behind the instrument panel. If you don't have spark it might be worth looking back there.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Good thought. We're going to check the spark 1st then start pulling everything apart for testing.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

No spark. Going to try a new plug 1st before I start tearing everything else down...
Old 01-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,418
Try flicking the kill switch on and off a few times.

I'd also double check the side stand bypass.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Try flicking the kill switch on and off a few times.

Did it....

I'd also double check the side stand bypass.
Bike won't turn over at all if this is a problem.

Kill switch not the issue.

Now wondering about coil vs CDI.

Looking up testing procedures though, as I understand it, the only way to check the CDI is put another one in.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
I just read a ride report where a guy on a KLR had some wires rub through behind the instrument panel. If you don't have spark it might be worth looking back there.
All wires behind the instrument panel intact. Pulled everything apart, contact cleaner, then dielectric grease and re-attached...

Still no spark when cranking.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #14
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,120
If it's cranking over, I wouldn't think electrical short. I had the short behind the dash deal, in my case it tripped the main fuse causing "All dead". Of course, could be a different wire shorting.

Hoping it's the plug, that's the easy fix (Short of putting gas in tank).

Try KLR650.NET for more betterer help.

Good luck DaFoole.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #15
MtnRubi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
My 05 did this last July, was running down the highway and just stopped.

Turned out to be the CDI, even though my old unit passed the resistance matrix.
MtnRubi is offline   Reply With Quote