ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #16
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,968
agreed. i have a 5g ims tank and a sargent seat and the dr goes all over the place. sure it will show it's limits on knarly singletrack, but it's not a dirtbike. on everything else it's awesome, especially the miles and miles of dirt roads we have out west. what i like most is the simplicity and reliabilty of the bike when i'm way out there and need to get home. the dr doesn't have rolling down the road issues like alot of other bikes can have.

here's mine:



[QUOTE=Greg@RME;15023304]Cool! I dig living here, the DR seems like a great bike for the Western Slope and beyond! I know the older DR's are heavier than the newer ones, but from what I understand they're both fairly similar.




QUOTE]
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #17
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Are you running the RMZ or DR front caliper on your DR. I'm using the DR caliper and master cylinder with my DRZ400 forks on my 650 and was surprised how good it is even with the small rotor. The DR master cylinder has a 1/2" piston compared to the DRZ's 11mm. this may make a difference. Im not sure about the piston sizes in the caliper. I was expecting the brake to be rubbish with the small rotor and altough I will change it, its not an urgent priority. I'm not sure what they make for the RMZ, but for the DRZ you can get a 280mm EBC and 320mm conversions. I think the 280mm will be big enough
I'm using the DR caliper, I really need more time in the seat to determine if the front rotor is worth upgrading. So far it seems fine, just a decent increase in lever pressure for the same braking. The DR and RMZ share the same caliper.

I may have to look into larger RMZ rotors just for my own knowledge. Thanks for the DRZ rotor info!



Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
agreed. i have a 5g ims tank and a sargent seat and the dr goes all over the place. sure it will show it's limits on knarly singletrack, but it's not a dirtbike. on everything else it's awesome, especially the miles and miles of dirt roads we have out west. what i like most is the simplicity and reliabilty of the bike when i'm way out there and need to get home. the dr doesn't have rolling down the road issues like alot of other bikes can have.

here's mine:

Nice Bill! I like the white, looks like the good twin to my evil black DR!

Greg@RME screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 08:34 PM
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #18
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,187
DR650 to RMZ fork swap

Ok, on the RMZ fork swap.... I just want to say that I did this my way and I'm happy with it, there are many other ways to make this work. This isn't the ONLY way.

I followed in the footsteps of others that have documented their DR/RMZ fork swaps online. I read & re-read their swaps to get a complete idea of all the details.

Here's a great one- http://hawkeye.ualr.edu/~ltjones/showa-install/rmzforkinstall.html

Snowy's thread on here really got me excited, but he seems to have deleted all the good info from his DR/RMZ Hybrid thread.

I used RMZ forks from an '07 Suzuki RMZ 450, the RMZ hub, caliper, wheel, steering stem and steering bearings. I picked up my forks, the wheel, axle and triple clamp all on Ebay, in separate auctions. It probably wasn't any cheaper than buying someones complete front-end, but buying them one part at a time allowed me to gather parts over a few months and not spend a bundle of money up front. I also picked up the RMZ fork guards on Ebay. The DR caliper will bolt on to the RMZ caliper bracket and both bikes use the same caliper, so you can keep the DR caliper and save a little cash. The RMZ rotor is smaller, as discussed earlier in this thread.

I ordered Suzuki DRZ400SM head light brackets from the local Suzuki dealer. You'll need a left and a right, plus 4 of the 'dampers' or isolators. The 2 brackets cost me $38/each and the dampers were $6.50/each.

The steering stem bearings for the RMZ and DR both measure 30X52X16mm and look to be identical. The lower RMZ bearing fit into the DR race perfectly, so I ran with it. Part number for the bearing is CR-0643L. I think this is also the same bearing that the DRZ uses.


Here's how it progressed...

The RMZ forks next to the DR front end.-




The controls, before the RMZ fork swap.-





All gone! I know, you LOVE the cinder block. My lovely wife bought me a motorcycle lift/stand for Christmas, so no more scary cinder blocks while tearing apart bikes!




Side by side comparison, RMZ forks on the right.




RMZ forks on the DR650! The steering bearings are the same between the RMZ and the DR, making the fork swap nearly a bolt-on mod. Now that the fork is in place, the real fun starts. Honestly, for me getting to this point was 20% of the work, the reassembly was the other 80%.




With the RMZ forks on and me waiting on parts before I can button this up, I went ahead with bolting on the front fender and fork guards.




I've had the bike together as a roller for a couple weeks, but between waiting for parts and the recent holiday, I haven't made a ton of progress. I finally got some of the parts I needed and went back to work. I ended up using the RMZ upper triple clamp, with a pair of 2" Rox risers, then the Highway Dirt Bikes handguards and their threaded Protaper Woods High bend bars.

I've also decided to make some major electrical/switch changes, that I'm hoping won't bite me in the ass in the future. I've decided to get rid of the stock ignition key switch, and if I can make it work, I will instead be using a series of push-button switches with LED's, from Highway Dirt Bikes.

In addition to all that, I'm adding a TrailTech Vapor and will gain a Tachometer, engine temperature gauge and many other nice features. The Vapor will be mounted in a Highway Dirt Bikes billet mount. Hopefully the Vapor will hold up over time to the water and dirt it will be subject to.

There's plenty of wiring to be done... and I hate wiring. It's a little more effort than I wanted to get into, but I think it will make a clean, neat setup once it's done.

First thing I had to do was to build some stops for the forks, since the DR forks has larger stops built into the triple clamp and the RMZ has short ones. I used some extra parts I had from some hand guard clamps, drilled and tapped the holes and bolted them to the frame.






I put the tank on, the Rox risers and bolted on my old handlebars to test fit the new forks. The forks ended up hitting the fuel tank just before hitting the new steering stops, so I took a heat gun to the tank, hoping to re-form the plastic tank around the forks. Unfortunately, all that happened was that the plastic blistered and didn't re-form very well. I'm just going to have to run it as is, it should be fine and I'm not worried about it.






While I was fitting the tank & forks, my order from Highway Dirt Bikes arrived, as did the TrailTech Vapor that came from ProCycle. The handguards from Highway Dirt Bikes are phenomenally well made, they are honestly some of the finest motorcycle parts I have ever seen, Paul is amazing with his machining skills! They are a bit more money than other handguards, but are far better than any other handguard option out there and are obviously built to last.




My wife is great... she was OK with letting me bring the DR into the house to work on the tedious wiring. Wiring the switches and the Vapor will be difficult, it will be nice to be inside where it's warm.











The RMZ lower triple clamp did not have a bolt hole for the fairing, so I had to get creative. Some 2 part JB Weld secured a nut into place and it was easier than welding to the aluminum. It may be ghetto, but it works and with the 2 other factory bolt holes on the DR400SM headlight brackets, it should be plenty strong. Plus, the JB weld will be out of sight, to that's a huge plus!






Next up are the Highway Dirt Bikes handguards with folding mirrors, along with their push-button switches, LED's and the Trail Tech Vapor.














At this point, it was just a matter of tucking away the wiring, running the brake line and putting the tank, seat & side panels back on. I didn't take too many pics of that, mostly because I was getting too excited to ride the damn thing!

Finally!! All buttoned up, ready for the first ride!


Greg@RME screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 10:54 AM
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #19
vicster
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
I added some 2" Rox bar risers and it's a noticeable difference, my bars are Woods bend (high & narrow), so combined with the Rox Risers, the bars sit pretty high. Riding around while sitting down it's a change, but not a bad thing. Offroad while standing up is where the added height really shines, I can actually stand close to straight up and down, yet have my elbows bent to absorb the bumps. Pretty decent for a guy that's 6' 4"!
Thanks for this thread. Lots to think about.
When you added these risers and higher bars, did you have to buy longer cables, etc? I'm tall also and need higher bars to go with the lowered pegs.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #20
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Thanks for this thread. Lots to think about.
When you added these risers and higher bars, did you have to buy longer cables, etc? I'm tall also and need higher bars to go with the lowered pegs.
Glad to help!

I didn't need any longer cables, everything seems to fit even with the Rox risers and tall Woods bars.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #21
dongie
Brraaap
 
dongie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 326
Did you use the 17"wheel spokes on the brake or chain side? I'm about to lace up an 18" rim I had sitting around as a leftover from my DRZ supermoto conversion. I hope the DRZ spokes are not too long or short..
dongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #22
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongie View Post
Did you use the 17"wheel spokes on the brake or chain side? I'm about to lace up an 18" rim I had sitting around as a leftover from my DRZ supermoto conversion. I hope the DRZ spokes are not too long or short..
I wish I remembered, I had to switch between the 17" & 18" spokes a few times on both sides, until I finally got the right combo. The length difference wasn't that much between the different spokes and I couldn't tell what was going to work until it was laced up. Not much help, sorry!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #23
dongie
Brraaap
 
dongie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 326
I guess I'll just have to find out then. Thanks though.

How does the bike feel with 2" of added travel up front? I'm putting a set of '03 RM125 forks on my DR and they getting revalved, resprung and shortened 1" as we speak. When I get to the shock, I think I'll have Rick at Cogent make it either height adjustable or extend the clevis about .5"
With the combination of adding the 18" rear wheel, the chassis should be pretty balanced..

A few years back, I put the same forks on my DRZ400K-SM and the stock fork length turned the bike into a plow. Those got shortened 2" during the revalving process.
dongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #24
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongie View Post
I guess I'll just have to find out then. Thanks though.

How does the bike feel with 2" of added travel up front? I'm putting a set of '03 RM125 forks on my DR and they getting revalved, resprung and shortened 1" as we speak. When I get to the shock, I think I'll have Rick at Cogent make it either height adjustable or extend the clevis about .5"
With the combination of adding the 18" rear wheel, the chassis should be pretty balanced..

A few years back, I put the same forks on my DRZ400K-SM and the stock fork length turned the bike into a plow. Those got shortened 2" during the revalving process.

It's hard to say how different the RMZ forks are, since it's January in Colorado. I just wrapped up the fork swap, the ground is still frozen and there's plenty of snow in the desert. I won't really have a chance to ride the bike hard and test out the new forks until the ground thaws and dries out.

I like the added height, I'm sure the additional travel will be handy. I bottomed out the DR forks with heavy springs way too often. I may eventually have to add heavier springs to the RMZ forks and possibly re-valve, but I want to see how they do as-is first.

I hope the RMZ forks don't make the DR plow any more than it already did... in sand it wasn't much fun.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer
 
K_N_Fodder's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Ten Sleep, WY
Oddometer: 948
Wow great build thread man, and I have to agree that the HDB + Vapor dash is the cleanest I've ever seen for the DR.

Quick question re: the Woods bars... did you have plenty of "straight" real estate to mount all your switch gear on these? I'm in a quest to find a bar that actually has room to mount stuff....

Love Fruita, BTW, in the early 2000s I hit 4 or 5 Fat Tire Festivals there.

Justin

Edit: Here's a dumb question. I've seen a few references to the Protaper "Woods" bars being narrower than others for the, duh... woods :) But on Protaper's site, it's an 800mm bar just like everything else (except for the Pastrana FMX, 775 mm, and the giant ATV bars). Is the "Woods" bar actually referring to somebody named "Woods"?

K_N_Fodder screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 10:50 PM
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #26
Ron Seida
Adventman
 
Ron Seida's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Motor City... For now.
Oddometer: 1,252
Hey Greg, i have been drooling over the really trick HDB accesories you have, In particular the billet hand guards with integral mirrors, very sleek and practical. When you have a chance, could you please enlighten us with a review of said guards and mirrors in regards to strength, mirror usability, hardware and value, thanks.
__________________
"¿Qué sería de la vida si no tuviéramos el valor de intentar algo nuevo?"
Van Gogh...
"Your the only guy i've met driving a BMW who isn't an asshole."
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #27
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com
 
DocAxeYarYar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 781
Greg's DR650 Rebuild

Thanks for the excellent posting on the rebuild and new suspension! It's nice you did your own thread so it did not get broken up too much in the general DR thread. The front fork is awesome for those thinking about the same your thread is a great help. When you get to ride the bike more I am wondering:

- Spring rates in the front fork: will you have to change springs/oil to get the right sag for you?

- Handling of the bike, does the front fork rake out the bike a bit and change the handling?

- Plans for the rear suspension?

Thanks!


__________________
My XR650R Build:
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2748.0
DocAxeYarYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #28
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Wow great build thread man, and I have to agree that the HDB + Vapor dash is the cleanest I've ever seen for the DR.

Quick question re: the Woods bars... did you have plenty of "straight" real estate to mount all your switch gear on these? I'm in a quest to find a bar that actually has room to mount stuff....

Love Fruita, BTW, in the early 2000s I hit 4 or 5 Fat Tire Festivals there.

Justin

Edit: Here's a dumb question. I've seen a few references to the Protaper "Woods" bars being narrower than others for the, duh... woods :) But on Protaper's site, it's an 800mm bar just like everything else (except for the Pastrana FMX, 775 mm, and the giant ATV bars). Is the "Woods" bar actually referring to somebody named "Woods"?
Just read your edit... I may be an idiot!! I've always thought that Woods bars were slightly more narrow than standard bar, for riding in tight Woods. Either way, I've used that bend on many bikes and I like it. So who's Woods?

To answer your question, though it may not apply anymore, there's enough room for all the stock switches and more.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seida View Post
Hey Greg, i have been drooling over the really trick HDB accesories you have, In particular the billet hand guards with integral mirrors, very sleek and practical. When you have a chance, could you please enlighten us with a review of said guards and mirrors in regards to strength, mirror usability, hardware and value, thanks.
Sure Ron! Let me get some more seat time on the bike so I can give you an accurate review. I'm sure I'll end up crashing a few times, so that will be a great strength test.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell78753 View Post
Thanks for the excellent posting on the rebuild and new suspension! It's nice you did your own thread so it did not get broken up too much in the general DR thread. The front fork is awesome for those thinking about the same your thread is a great help. When you get to ride the bike more I am wondering:

- Spring rates in the front fork: will you have to change springs/oil to get the right sag for you?

- Handling of the bike, does the front fork rake out the bike a bit and change the handling?

- Plans for the rear suspension?

Thanks!


I can & will do that, I'm pretty sure the forks will need some tweaking to work on the heavy DR versus a moto-x RMZ.

I'm very interested to find out about any handling changes, the bike handled well enough before, my hangup was that it was just way too easy to bottom out.

And the rear suspension, I'm sure it will need some work as well, to help keep up with the RMZ forks. At the least some valving tweaks, at the most the shock may get replaced.

I'll keep you posted!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #29
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,318
Hey Greg,
Looking awesome man...
__________________
andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com
Grand Staircase Escalante Road Reports

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #30
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Hey Greg,
Looking awesome man...
Thanks Andre! Hopefully we can see how the DR compares to a certain XRR this year.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014