Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #31
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Thanks Andre! Hopefully we can see how the DR compares to a certain XRR this year.

Totally... I am actually planning a trip next month as we speak! I'll PM you as I need your email address, I'll shoot you the info if you'd like.. :)
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #32
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Just read your edit... I may be an idiot!! I've always thought that Woods bars were slightly more narrow than standard bar, for riding in tight Woods. Either way, I've used that bend on many bikes and I like it. So who's Woods?
This was probably who the bars are named after :(
http://www.nathanwoodsoffroad.com/
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #33
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Sweet, another excellent DR650 build. Thanks for the info, they are a great bike to develop, the fundamentals are there, just gotta finish it off. Ergos and suspension.

Enjoy
Steve
Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #34
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,403
Thanks for the ignition wiring info... saved me a pile of work.

I'm in the middle of a very similar project (RMZ forks, Vapor, Highway Dirtbikes clamps and guards).

Quote:
Over the last couple months, I've been working on the next step in building my ideal bike. My biggest issue with the DR650 was the front forks, even with the heaviest springs, I would still bottom out the forks on rough riding. One of the last rides had me bottoming out the forks way too many times and it didn't feel good! I had a pair of Intiminators, but decided to skip them and go for the big upgrade!

I swapped on a set of RMZ450 forks, a TrailTech Vapor and Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards with push-button ignition, LED lights, fold-out mirrors and Vapor Aluminum dash. I've gotta say thanks to the business that helped out, ProCycle and Highway Dirt Bikes. Paul at HDB makes the best set of hand guards in the world, hands down. He really put some time and thought into his parts and it shows!

I decided to pass up the factory ignition switch since the fork lock would no longer work with the RMZ forks. The fact that I disassembled the ignition switch too far, when taking it off the DR650 upper triple clamp, and couldn't put it back together was another reason for something different. After getting rid of the ignition switch and wired up the push-button ignition, I had issues getting spark and I couldn't figure it out. The bike turned over and everything else had power like it should, just no spark while being turned over.

After asking on ThumperTalk, a couple of guys mentioned that there is a needed resistor if you're going to replace the key switch with a push-button ignition switch. With a little tinkering, I found I needed one resistor... a 20 cent part at Radio Shack.

This is the wiring that goes to the ignition switch, the plug sits under the tank and over the engine. The needed resistor is a 100 ohm watt 5% resistor between the Orange/Yellow and the Black/White. I tied the Brown & Gray together, then put a switch between the Red & Orange, which go to the main power switch. I soldered all the connections, then covered them with heat shrink tubing and put the stock wiring sleeve back over everything. The ignition now works like it should!

Here's some pics of what I did.-

And first ride out, with new RMZ forks, Highway Dirt Bike guards and TrailTech Vapor!

Everything went well, until the cheesy zip ties securing the front brake line to the fork guard broke! The zip ties were temporary, but in the excitement to ride, I forgot about them. The brake line was dragging the knobs on the front tire, so I limped it back home. I've already purchased the proper brake line clamp, hope to have it by the end of the week.

Even though the ride was short, I was impressed with the change to the RMZ forks. Seems like they held my weight better (220 lbs) and were much more predictable on bumps, seemed like the forks didn't move nearly as much as the factory DR forks with heavy springs. I can't wait until the desert dries up and I can really try out the upgraded suspension!

I'm still running the RMZ wheel and tire, so eventually I'll need to swap the Tubliss setup and the Dunlop from the old DR650 wheel to the RMZ wheel. I added some 2" Rox bar risers and it's a noticeable difference, my bars are Woods bend (high & narrow), so combined with the Rox Risers, the bars sit pretty high. Riding around while sitting down it's a change, but not a bad thing. Offroad while standing up is where the added height really shines, I can actually stand close to straight up and down, yet have my elbows bent to absorb the bumps. Pretty decent for a guy that's 6' 4"!

There is still some final tweaking to do, but I'm very happy with the RMZ forks and the other parts that were involved.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #35
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Very nice job Greg!

As always, some day we'll have to get out for a ride!

C9
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #36
sasha_j
full time RV'er

Oddometer: 88
The force is strong with this one named Greg. Congrats on your customization.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #37
sasha_j
full time RV'er

Question: When you went with the replacement RMZ wheel, did you also swap out your Tubliss setup up front? And I assume no issues with running Tubliss on the new wheel?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #38
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha_j View Post
Question: When you went with the replacement RMZ wheel, did you also swap out your Tubliss setup up front? And I assume no issues with running Tubliss on the new wheel?
I hate to say it, but I'm still running the tire & tube that came on the RMZ rim. I haven't swapped on the Tubliss setup or the front TKC 80. I've been having too much fun on the Wee-Strom and the WR450, while the DR has been sitting in the garage, needing some maintenance. The DR is in the garage now, getting the needed work and I will be swapping the TKC 80 and Tubliss setup onto the RMZ wheel and don't expect any issues.

Since this was bumped up, I suppose I should update it a little... It's been awhile since I posted any updates and with this incredible weather, you know I've been out riding...

Before I went out, I really wanted to lower the pegs. It took about 2 hours, a sawzall and the welder. Honestly, I should have done this long, LONG ago! One of top mods I've done to the DR! I dropped them just over 1", probably about 1.25" total. Doesn't sound like much, but my center of gravity feels much better while standing, the angle on my knees is much better while sitting and my ability to transition from feet on the pegs, to feet out for a turn is much easier. I didn't have any idea how much of a difference cutting over 1" out of the pegs would make! Here's a few pics of the process.

After bolting the pegs back on, I dropped the shifter one tooth, then adjusted the rear brake lever down to where it was level with the lowered peg. After getting that done, it was time to ride! I geared up and rode out to Rabbit Valley for the first real test of the RMZ forks. I was excited, but not totally sure what to expect.

Once in Rabbit Valley, I hopped onto the ATV track, which has several jumps and water bars, along the way. I didn't take it easy and had the piggy DR650 off the ground several times... the RMZ forks soaked up all the hits with complete CONFIDENCE! They felt so much better than the factory DR forks! The big DR almost felt like a motocross bike! I had to remind myself not to get too crazy, but continued to push the bike harder on the jumps, washes and ledges.

I need to get some pic/videos of this massive bike getting airborne! The RMZ forks changed the bike, it feels so much more confident in whoops and deep washes! I'm very happy with the end result, I hit one real deep wash pretty hard, thinking I'd bottom out the forks and... nope! The rear suspension bottomed out, but it's within my expectations.

Eventually I rode part of the Kokopelli trail that is very rocky and tested out the RMZ forks there. Again, they handled it well! Here's a few pics from the ride.... loving the DR with the new front end!

Greg@RME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #39
sasha_j
full time RV'er

Nice work on the pegs and fork.

I'm thinking of a Tubliss setup for my DR. The website says "offroad use only"

I know you previously posted as long as you check it daily and keep 110 PSI in the seat tube that you're good to go for dual sport use. Still feel this way?

And what pump do you carry on your overnights? I assume it must be some kind of high capacity bicycle pump......or a CO2 setup, like PowerTank?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #40
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha_j View Post
Nice work on the pegs and fork.

I'm thinking of a Tubliss setup for my DR. The website says "offroad use only"

I know you previously posted as long as you check it daily and keep 110 PSI in the seat tube that you're good to go for dual sport use. Still feel this way?

And what pump do you carry on your overnights? I assume it must be some kind of high capacity bicycle pump......or a CO2 setup, like PowerTank?
IMO, the 'offroad use only' is just a clause to release them from any liability that may come from someone running it on the road and getting into legal trouble, then trying to sue Neutech. From my limited understanding about DOT regulations, DOT approval requires a lot of legal expense & time... stamping 'for offroad use only' bypasses that, for the time being.

I do still feel that the Tubliss setup is good... it has it trade-offs and quirks, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. I like being able to plug a tire on the trail, then continuing on 5 min later.

I do carry a high-pressure bicycle pump, one that is capable of up to 120 PSI and pumps air in on both strokes.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #41
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,599
Great job Greg!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #42
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Does Highway Dirt Bikes sell some sort of housing for the Vapor that you're using with the top clamp? Or is it the Vapor Dash you have?
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #43
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
Does Highway Dirt Bikes sell some sort of housing for the Vapor that you're using with the top clamp? Or is it the Vapor Dash you have?
That is a HDB Vapor with Dash, Billet Protector - http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...&ref=BDP_VAP_D
Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #44
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
That is a HDB Vapor with Dash, Billet Protector - http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...&ref=BDP_VAP_D
I see. Adding to my to do list...
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #45
willmeyer
Geek

Oddometer: 32
HDB LEDs?

Love that dash -- I may have missed it, but what are LEDs hooked up to in the HDB LED bar thing? and what type of LEDs did you use?

I am looking at the exact same setup -- vapor, vapor dash, billet guard, and hdb top clamp with powerlets and switches. I'm debating a little bit the LED bar from HDB, and the vapor indicator dash, which I've heard can be too dim. How exactly do you have it set up and whould you change anything?

Thanks!
willmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote