Oddometer: 733
woods wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #137
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth! View Post
wow that is a load for that 4.0, even with it being a pop up camper. I have drive a few v6 DCs and they were dogs pulling any kind of hill or load, especially with oversized tires and stock gears.

I pulled a loaded to the gills 6x12 uhaul trailer with a ton of heavy stuff plus the bed filled up all the way from San Diego to Seattle through all the passes with my Tacoma and it was a champ. No issues at all. I've driven it cross-country a few times and loved it in the passes especially going up to Vegas from San Diego.....I'm stock at 265/70r16's but they are a lot heavier with the BFG AT's I went with.

Only thing I don't like is with a canopy and then towing the back sags a little more than I'd like. I'm going to do a 2" front lift and put on an add-a-leaf once I get an ARB bumper and winch on it....

My only other issue that I've had is the temp/direction sensor went out but its an easy fix and should take 15 minutes once I find my soldering tool.

I've been very impressed with my 2006 Tacoma at 75k miles.....it cost me $2k more than a comparable mid-size truck but the resale is so awesome that I've never been underwater on it compared to the other trucks.

For all the complaints about how big it is and how it's not like the old simple ones.....I've had enough 4cyl small trucks. I want a crew cab that can seat 4 adults and has a little more room.....I also want to be able to tow a little and have some power.....without being stuck driving around a full size truck
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #138
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,382
Not as heavy as that sweet camper but.......

I run Old Man Emu 3in HD rear springs and airbags. No problems hauling my KTM and all my gear. If the bike did not block the rear window I would forget it was there.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #139
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshanex View Post

For all the complaints about how big it is and how it's not like the old simple ones.....I've had enough 4cyl small trucks. I want a crew cab that can seat 4 adults and has a little more room.....I also want to be able to tow a little and have some power.....without being stuck driving around a full size truck
Guess what: you ARE driving a full size truck.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #140
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
I have an '04 SR5 Xtracab, 2.4L 5spd. Only has 107k on it, drives like brand new. From what I read, the 2RZ engine is pretty bullet proof.

Here's a pic on how tough these Toyota's really are:

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #141
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
I really wish Toyota hadn't increased the size of the Tacoma. IMHO, the whole point of the Tacoma is that it wasn't a full sized truck, it was a small truck for those of us who don't need or want a big truck.

This is my '04. 214,000 trouble free miles at 26 mpg.

This is our '87 Tercel wagon. We bought this for $400 six years ago with 45000 miles on it. It was our daily family car until recently when the heater fan stopped working. Once it warms up, I'll stick a new fan in it and keep driving it.

CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #142
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Guess what: you ARE driving a full size truck.

Maybe like 3/4 of a full size truck! Dimensions are close but a lot of the little stuff thats downsized for the Tacomas just works for me and it feels smaller than it is. After driving all the full size trucks I realized that I didn't need a 7 or 8 foot bed, or seats for someone who weighs 300lbs, or 3 across seating, or every single electronic luxury item, or 10k lbs towing capacity, or 12-15mpg, or having to park outside since it won't fit in a normal garage.

For all the small truck people.....I do actually see more of the 4 cyl single cab tacos running around than I thought I would
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #143
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,609
Yeah, I hear ya. Those are all reasons why I don't have a full size either.

I've had lots of them over the years starting with an '82 and now own an '04. It's not half the truck the old ones were, however, at least in my eyes.
I think they actually died when they went to the rack and pinion steering.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #144
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,159
I think the perceived size difference is based mostly on the fact that most of the new ones you see around are crew cabs and such. If you compare regular cab to regular cab a 2010 is about 5.5 inches wider, and 6 inches longer than the previous body style. Hardly a huge difference.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #145
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesdad View Post
Im buying a 2000 tacoma reg cag 4x4 this weekend. were there any issues with this year truck? Frame issues? I also have a 2010 tacoma double cab 4x4 and really like it. I get about 17 mpg on average .
I've got an '05 double cab long bed 4x4 and get about the same milage. I'll probably just get a Tundra next for the increased towing capacity since they're not really any harder on fuel.
I have added some Firestone Ride-rite air bags since this photo was taken and no more saggy rear end even when hauling my travel trailer.

Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #146
chasesdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I ended up buying a 96 reg cab 4cyl 4x4 this past weekend , this will be my fuel mileage vehicle, those air bags sound like a good idea for the 2010 , ,il have to check into that.
chasesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #147
Mleaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesdad View Post
I ended up buying a 96 reg cab 4cyl 4x4 this past weekend , this will be my fuel mileage vehicle, those air bags sound like a good idea for the 2010 , ,il have to check into that.
I'm installing the Firestone Ride-Rite bags on my 2003 DBL Cab in the next week or so. I'll post an update here when I'm finished.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #148
bigskyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I like toys

Couple shots of the Land CRUSHer. Pretty much the perfect rig IMHO. Sleeps two in the back, room for five and two dogs, with bikes on the hitch rack. And pretty much goes anywhere a vehicle needs to. Only wish they'd bring the deisel versions to the states cause the mpg isn't all that good. My dad had a prado (the deisel version) while living in S.A. and said he got 23mpg. It's no wonder they (the big three) don't want toyota deisels coming to the states.

the other toy is a 05 tacoma dbl cab, long bed, mostly stock except for a 1.75" front end level kit and some bigger sneekers. Most of the wheeling is left up to the cruiser on account of the lockers and better weight dist.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #149
MineMapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Do want!

in this

Linky
Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 AM   #150
chasesdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
anyone got a good source for a toyota manual for a 96 4x4. Also a source for parts? All I have is the supplemental manual.
chasesdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: