Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #166
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,884
'96, Supercharger, Flip Pac camper,
Crappy radio, roll down windows, and 166,000 beautiful miles on it.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #167
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
My '06 is pretty stock.

In the cold...

Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #168
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,502
Love 'em

First one 1997 3.4L V-6 5spd 4x4
This one was a bit of a money pit for me, blew 2 front wheel bearings $800 & A/C System $1200 tires and timing belt was another $1000+ but I did put 30K on it in 2years and got good money for it when I sold it (I think I bought it for $10K and sold it for $8K 2 years later) I probably lost more money on this than I would have a Domestic with the repairs, but it's a much better driving truck than a Ranger or S-10.

#2 was a 2000 2.7L 4cyl AT PreRunner
When Gas had hit $4.20/gal I dumped the 4x4 and picked this up with 90K on it for $3500! I think I put $600 worth of tires on it and drove it for a year and half and sold it for $4500. It was a damn good truck just not enough power for me.

I wanted the 05.5 Tacoma but ended up with a 4Runner instead (the cheapest Tacoma club cab I could find was $3K more than the 4runner), by far this was the best truck I've ever driven or owned. Great Power and rock solid, I hauled my dirt bike on a hitch carrier all over CA, plus bicycles, boats and all other types of gear all over the country. The runner was only 2wd so I had to sell it in CA before moving to CO.

Sonoma Coast

New England woods

Dukeryder screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 02:36 PM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #169
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,069
I've had a couple of small Toyota trucks, an '89 4wd 4cyl that was truly a great truck, and an '08 regular cab Tacoma 4x4 4cyl that was definitely decent, but after driving it for four years I determined that I wanted more interior room, and a little more in the way of power and comfort, so I traded for this:

An '11 Tundra 5.7L 4x4. I've been driving it for almost three months and am really happy with it thusfar. Mileage is not all that much worse than it was with the Taco, but comfort, power, and overall utility vastly surpasses the smaller truck.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #170
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
For me the current Tacoma is about the right size - it definitely doesn't need to be bigger. They could do something with the arrangement of the interior dimensions to make it more comfortable but the overall size is fine, imho.

p.s. I'm tempted to trade in for an FJ as my daily driver and pick up a base four banger for my truck duties. Those FJ's can get expensive something fierce once you start loading them up with options though. Or maybe trade in for a new Tacoma access cab. I don't think I've ever had more than two people in my current ride, why do I need four doors (Abridged by responder for space and context/content purposes)
I am old enough to remember when almost all pickups were "standard cab", no significant space behind the front seat(s), so basically two or possibly three passenger vehicles at best. I am a single guy, my kids are grown and moved to other parts of the country, and when all of that happened about 4-5 years ago I decided I'd be well served by two vehicles, a Prius for a daily driver (except during bad winter weather), and a truck. I did not think I'd "need" passenger hauling capability most of the time and not much when I needed a truck to haul stuff, and that I could use the car when I did want to haul people as opposed to junk/stuff/cargo. Plus I just liked the looks of standard cab trucks, still do.

But.....I found myself more and more wishing I had more passenger hauling capability in the truck, and also more "inside" room for stuff like luggage, groceries, hunting gear, etc. Thus, while in ways I miss the compact, intimate 'feel' and vibe of the Taco regular cab, the massive Tundra has been a total revelation to me in terms of comfort, convenience and overall utility.

They do make the Tundra in regular cab configuration. I almost never see them, however, they must sell very few of them. I did see one just the other day and stopped and stared at it. Very cool looking IMHO. But having that back seat and inside storage is sure nice.....

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #171
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post

They do make the Tundra in regular cab configuration. I almost never see them, however, they must sell very few of them. I did see one just the other day and stopped and stared at it. Very cool looking IMHO. But having that back seat and inside storage is sure nice.....
I have an '07 regular cab, 4X4, and roll-down windows. I was actually very glad to get the roll-down windows. It has enough room behind the seats to carry most of the stuff I want or need to carry inside.
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #172
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
I have an '07 regular cab, 4X4, and roll-down windows. I was actually very glad to get the roll-down windows. It has enough room behind the seats to carry most of the stuff I want or need to carry inside.

I liked having the roll-down windows too. I generally consider simple to be better in most things, and the fewer electronics and motors to go haywire on a guy, the better IMHO. It is true that you can stash some stuff behind the seat, but I'm pretty tall (6'2") so the seat is run most or all of the way back. I kept some tools back there, a few odds-and-ends, and it was okay to stash a rifle or shotgun in a case back there too, but that was about it.

On my '89 I had a topper, and could lock it, so that helped with hauling gear, but for a number of reasons I decided I did not want a topper on my current trucks. I did, however, get a folding tonneau cover on the Tundra. It is about a 30 second job to fold it up and expose 2/3 of the bed, or about a 2 minute job to remove it altogether if I'm hauling larger loads or lots of debris (it only weighs about 40-50 pounds). And when the tail-gate is locked it's pretty secure. One of those on the Taco would have helped, but the tail-gate of the Taco didn't have a lock. I'm sure that could have been remedied for a lot less $ than the cost of a new, bigger truck, but I did also find that my life is such that the extra passenger room is useful more often than I thought I would like when I bought the Tacoma in '08.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #173
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Here is my 1988 Toyota pickup. It has 56,426 miles on it, I paid $1050 about three years ago, and another $150 to hvae it towed to my house. The PO was an 18 year old kid who kind of destroyed it and wanted to sell it to buy...a ford probe. I know, I tried to talk him out of selling it to me, but he would not listen and insisted. So since both front wheel bearings were blown and the inner races were "welded" to the spindles I had to have it towed to my condo.

New exhaust, wheel bearings, one spindle, one hub, front brakes, rear brakes, two tranny cooling lines (hard and soft), thermostat, water temp sensor, rear brake lines, speakers, cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires and it was ready to go. I bought the truck with 48,000 miles on it, so I have put on about 12,000 miles since I have had it. O yeah, tires too.

I love this truck, it starts every time, and has not yet let me down (fingers crossed!). It is bare bones as it gets, no A/C or cruise control, manual windows, one door mirror. But that is the beauty about it, its simplicity.

Here are some pics from today:

I had the spare tire cut away from the mount under the bed becuase it was rusted into place, when I got new tires I had them install the best old tire onto the spare and now I just keep it in the bed.

When I bought the truck, I took a small ball peen hammer and tapped on the frame on both sides of where the leaf springs mount, supposedly this is where the frame likes to rust though. When I did this I did not hear or see any suspicious areas.

Here is my rebuild/refurbish thread here on ADV: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537640

O yeah, those are $20 ebay hubcaps, I sandblasted and painted the wheels with rust-oleum black and "dressed" them up with some quality Chinese hubcaps!
jgrady1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #174
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 759
My bro

Is the mechanical one in the family and built this little thing a while back.

86 pickup
Set up as sleeper drag race truck,12 inch supra front disk conversion
Narrowed rear frame, 3 link rear, narrowed 8.8 ford rear diff,11 inch rear disk conversion, Ford LSD.
R154 turbo supra trans with custom adaptor to fuel injected H.O 5.0 With custom Intercooled twin garret turbocharger setup.
42 pound injectors, large high pressure fuel pump, sumped and baffled custom fuel cell, brand new 315 BFG drag radials and matching 255 front on Fr500 knock off 10.5 inch wide wheels. tubed box, awaiting paint and final tuning. There is tons more including a Wideband O2 included and hardwired, as well as a Tweecer standalone computor for tuning and data collection.
Pics

tattewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #175
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,662
Schweet!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #176
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
'96, Supercharger, Flip Pac camper,
Crappy radio, roll down windows, and 166,000 beautiful miles on it.

Nice T100! I miss mine
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #177
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
Photobucket

In front: 1987 xtra cab long bed 5 speed pickup. -still driving it today-

Behind: 1985 4runner mild trail rig. sold last year

Two of many toyotas I have owned.

hmmwv15 screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 09:50 PM
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #178
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I've had a couple of small Toyota trucks, an '89 4wd 4cyl that was truly a great truck, and an '08 regular cab Tacoma 4x4 4cyl that was definitely decent, but after driving it for four years I determined that I wanted more interior room, and a little more in the way of power and comfort, so I traded for this:

Both very cool trucks... amazing how many badges are on the Tundra vs the Tacoma...

Tundra would be my choice for a Full Size truck... the only one made in Texas too!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #179
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I posted on page 2 but have done a little work since then. I finished the 4 wheel disc brake conversion and laced up a set of OEM 15" welded steel wheels. This last winter I pulled the 'three on the tree' and installed an H42 4 speed transmission.

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #180
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)