User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #181
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
I don't know why I was so stupid to sell this thing. Miss it pretty badly now. '92 v6 sr5 5 speed 4x4.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #182
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Drive it every day.

Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #183
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Both very cool trucks... amazing how many badges are on the Tundra vs the Tacoma...

Tundra would be my choice for a Full Size truck... the only one made in Texas too!
I am probably going to partially debadge mine next spring/summer.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #184
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King View Post
Nice, Canadian? (I ask because of the square bezel)

I daily drive my 73 series cruiser.. rusty but trusty!
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #185
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
I don't know why I was so stupid to sell this thing. Miss it pretty badly now. '92 v6 sr5 5 speed 4x4.

I had that same truck. Put 300,000 miles on it with not many problems...well, till the end when a whole slew of parts needed to be thrown at it. I was getting sick of the 3Slo, too.

Sold it and bought a new Taco 4x4, 4 banger regular cab and haven't missed the old truck, except through nostalgia one bit.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #186
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Nice, Canadian? (I ask because of the square bezel)

I daily drive my 73 series cruiser.. rusty but trusty!
No, they had square bezels in 79 & 80 and this is an 80. This truck is actually from Colombia South America.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #187
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
'91 Extra Cab Deluxe 4X2 4 cylinder 5 speed was the best vehicle I have ever owned.
Made in Japan.

Quote:
'86 Tercel I had before it was a close second.
Also made in Japan.

Quote:
'00 Tundra Access Cab SR5 V8 4X4 has been the WORST.

My driveway has rust stains from the huge chunks flaking off of the frame

Made proudly in the USA.

Quote:
Brakes are fucked up, always have been. Toyota regional service manager refused to accomplish Toyota Technical Service Bulletins in 2003 even though I was still under warranty. I just live with the warped rotors now.

At least they fixed the cracked exhaust manifold and multiple bad O2 sensors.

Last year I went over a speed bump at walking speed and the left anti sway bar link broke - rusted through. Part was like 200 bucks.

Everything under the truck is a rusty mess. I have snapped off both of the rear mounting bolts on the skid pan and a brake line retainer bolt, just to name a few.

Quote:
My wife's '02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport (not a great vehicle) looks brand new underneath compared to my Tundra.
What's the first number or letter of the VIN?

Quote:
I've had shitty '70s - '80s GM vehicles that didn't rust like this POS.

Fuck Toyota, never again...
Dude, do you know how much Toyota contributes to this economy?

To my knowledge, the 4Runners (now Fortuner) and Landcruisers are now, and have always been made in Japan.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 11:22 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #188
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
'96, Supercharger, Flip Pac camper,
Crappy radio, roll down windows, and 166,000 beautiful miles on it.

Same exact suspension as the 86-95 Hi-Lux or, "Mini" Toyota's that made them a household name.

So all the "old tricks" like manual locking hubs, rolling the T-bars up, ball joint spacers, you name it, will work on this truck...

Toyota made the frame 6" wider, 3" on each side. The suspension and control arms are even the same. Toyota just made the difference up in making each "half shaft" 3" longer... The source for Total Chaos's longer axles needed for their extreme travel kits.

Word of advice: The rear diff, tho 8" is NOT the same as the more common and cheaper "Mini" trucks. (had to sell mine due to that fact )

If you're ever looking for a replacement, or want selectable lockers, you might wanna look and see if a Tacoma***TRD*** axle HOUSING is wide enough. They used the super common 8" "Mini" axle. And the TRD lockers ARE the 8" diff and are very easily adaptable to fit in non-TRD, but 8" "Mini" housings.

PS, not only will adding manual hubs get you slightly better MPG, they are also a safety feature in that you can un-lock the axle if a joint breaks and continue on. And if you have lockers, you still have 3WD.

NOT being able to unlock the axle, and joint breaks, can cause bind and will result in even MORE damage.

Plus, if you keep the ADD, you have BOTH! Lock the hubs in the winter for "shift on demand" and unlock them when you're daily driving for better MPG... And if there's a pin hole in the CVboots, the grease won't be constantly slinging out of them.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 11:49 AM
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #189
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
I had that same truck. Put 300,000 miles on it with not many problems...well, till the end when a whole slew of parts needed to be thrown at it. I was getting sick of the 3Slo, too.
Typical amercian thinking: "Dang, you mean I've gone 300,000 miles and now it needs work!?"

Quote:
Sold it and bought a new Taco 4x4, 4 banger regular cab and haven't missed the old truck, except through nostalgia one bit.

Hind sight's always 20/20... The 3.4L 190hp 5vz is a bolt-in.

Tons of the better built 89-95 4Runners and trucks have changed hands for $500 because of that motor. Sadly most are no longer with us due to export, scrap steel, salvage and Obama's cash for clunkers.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 01:34 PM
Old 01-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #190
Tupperware
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
I was getting sick of the 3Slo, too.
I had a 1990 with the same engine.
It had all the power of the 4cyl with the economy of a V8. Best of both worlds.
Sold it a few years ago with around 250,000 miles and there was still NO rust, clean interior and everything was working properly. The paint was not looking too good on the horizontal surfaces, though. The clear coat had failed and the paint in those areas was turning pink.
I do not miss it. It was way too small for me to drive comfortably and I was not happy letting my kids ride in it because it had neither airbags nor side impact protection. For most of the time I had it, I ran with nerf bars installed to give some additional protection. Three sets of nerf bars and two rear bumpers rusted right off the truck but not a single OEM part ever rusted. (not counting exhaust)

Tupperware screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 01:08 PM Reason: bad grammar ;)
Tupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #191
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperware View Post
I had a 1990 with the same engine.
It had all the power of the 4cyl with the economy of a V8. Best of both worlds.
Sold it a few years ago with around 250,000 miles and there was still NO rust, clean interior and everything was working properly. The paint was not looking too good on the horizontal surfaces, though. The clear coat had failed and the paint in those areas was turning pink.
I do not miss it. It was way too small for me to drive comfortably and I was not happy letting my kids ride in it because it had neither airbags nor side impact protection. For most of the time I had it, I ran with nerf bars installed to give some additional protection. Three sets of nerf bars and two rear bumpers rusted right off the truck but not a single OEM part ever rusted. (not counting exhaust)
I had an '89 yota, 4x4 4cyl but otherwise real basic, regular cab. It sure was sluggish going up hills. I did, however, keep it for a number of years and put over 100K miles on it before selling it. I used to see it around town until just a couple of years ago.

Nerf bars. I became a huge believer in them when I owned that truck. I put on a set, real sturdy ones, Smittybuilt IIRC, and soon thereafter got T-boned by a woman driving some little pip-squeak econo-box in an intersection. My total damages came to $90. The crash was not real high speed, but without the nerfs I know the damages would have been thousands. I like the idea of bolt-on armor. I notice, however, that the newer nerf bars rust less, but also seem less sturdy in the event of an accident, slamming a big rock or stump, etc.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #192
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Same exact suspension as the 86-95 Hi-Lux or, "Mini" Toyota's that made them a household name.

So all the "old tricks" like manual locking hubs, rolling the T-bars up, ball joint spacers, you name it, will work on this truck...

Toyota made the frame 6" wider, 3" on each side. The suspension and control arms are even the same. Toyota just made the difference up in making each "half shaft" 3" longer... The source for Total Chaos's longer axles needed for their extreme travel kits.

Word of advice: The rear diff, tho 8" is NOT the same as the more common and cheaper "Mini" trucks. (had to sell mine due to that fact )

If you're ever looking for a replacement, or want selectable lockers, you might wanna look and see if a Tacoma***TRD*** axle HOUSING is wide enough. They used the super common 8" "Mini" axle. And the TRD lockers ARE the 8" diff and are very easily adaptable to fit in non-TRD, but 8" "Mini" housings.

PS, not only will adding manual hubs get you slightly better MPG, they are also a safety feature in that you can un-lock the axle if a joint breaks and continue on. And if you have lockers, you still have 3WD.

NOT being able to unlock the axle, and joint breaks, can cause bind and will result in even MORE damage.

Plus, if you keep the ADD, you have BOTH! Lock the hubs in the winter for "shift on demand" and unlock them when you're daily driving for better MPG... And if there's a pin hole in the CVboots, the grease won't be constantly slinging out of them.
I think the T100 is best truck they ever made, some small issues not withstanding.

Mine was on its second rear axle when I had it. I'm pretty sure the Tacoma axle is not wide enough. I have read that the first generation Tundra axle will fit, but I don't know if that's true. You could get one of these made:

http://www.diamondaxle.com/rear_nonsteering.htm

swap in your center section and axle shafts, and never have to worry about it again.

From what I've read, you can gain 1-2mpg at best with manual hubs. Having the ability to totally disconnect the front axles if a shaft or CV fails is a nice plus, though.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #193
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,685
What would you pay for 98 Tacoma 4x4 with 99k miles, 5speed, 2.7L?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #194
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
What would you pay for 98 Tacoma 4x4 with 99k miles, 5speed, 2.7L?

Has the frame been replaced? If I understand correctly, the "new" frames were built just like the old ones... (possible conjecture)

What "Kelly" says,

And, google? Hello, (tap tap tap) is this thing on?

I'd much rather have a 94 and older model truck. Put a Tacoma seat in it and if it's a V6, swap in a 5VZ.

If it's a 22RE, just be happy with low power, high MPG and with proper PM infinite miles.

Those old 4Runners are built impeccable and I'd say VERY on-par with a Landcruiser of similar vintage. The "H" transfer cases suck, but the f is an easy bolt in as well, and yields better MPG.

Very very very nice and extremely high quality compact SUV.

Not a fan of the new flange-less CV axles only held in by c-clips.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 09:32 PM
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #195
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,685
hhhahah.. are they still replacing frames for free?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: