Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #241
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaterToyota View Post
Gadget's a cool dude with some good products. I've known him and have been wheeling with him for years since he's just on the other side of the Washington DC beltway from me. Seen his (now sold) supercharged Runner break it's share of CV joints on the trails.
This one?

http://youtu.be/9tRoFOm7KHQ

I met Gadget at Takeover in Farmington NM 2007. Another guy (Brian) and took I him to Moab afterwards. It was a great trip.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #242
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Just a general observation, but old Camry V6's had MORE power than the trucks!
Still do. The 3.5 V6 in the 2012 Camry is rated at 268 hp/248 lb. ft., the 4.0 V6 in the 2012 Tacoma is 236 hp/266 lb.ft. Interestingly, the same engine is rated at 270/278 in the 2012 Tundra and 4Runner, and 260/271 in the 2012 FJ Cruiser.

Anybody know why the broad variation in the 4.0's rating across different (but similar) truck and SUV applications? Seems like it would be easy for Toyota to improve the Tacoma's competitive position by uprating the engine; as it stands now it's well behind every competitive V6.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #243
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,450
According to the Toyota guys doing the demos at the Auto show last year in San Jose, the 4runner (new for 2010) had an all new 4.0 V-6. (It was easy to drive the 4runner and Tundra, everyone else was waiting to drive Priuses) I think it has something to do with a new VVT-I system. I doubt the engine is all new but changing to a new Variable Valve timing system, heads and cams can make a lot more power.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #244
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,382
My 04 Runner has the 4.0. Solid motor - can only guess the new one is better. Oversized tires and still get 20mpg and pulls strong.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #245
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I love Toyota vehicles. My FJ mall crawler is an '07 4x4 that I've put about 90,000 miles on so far. It just keeps going when other vehicles I've owned had already gone through radiators and fuel pumps. No fender issues or rear diff failures yet. *Knock on wood*

Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #246
Lemon G
Banned

Oddometer: 190
Quote:

Here's me

What model Land Cruiser is this? Is this a custom job??
Lemon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #247
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
I love Toyota vehicles. My FJ mall crawler is an '07 4x4 that I've put about 90,000 miles on so far. It just keeps going when other vehicles I've owned had already gone through radiators and fuel pumps. No fender issues or rear diff failures yet. *Knock on wood*

Sweet. But that hi-lift jack looks pretty new and unused!! What is that curved black thing on the passenger side, it looks like a snorkel!!!

I looked closely at those a couple of years ago, not for myself but for/with a woman I was dating at the time who was looking for a utilitarian SUV. She ended up buying a used 4Runner as she didn't think the back of the FJ had enough room for her stuff, she has a disabled daughter and needs to haul a wheel-chair with her wherever she goes. I liked the FJ. If I were in the market for that type of vehicle, I'd look real hard at those. I also like Wrangler Unlimiteds, similar type, but I owned a standard Wrangler for a number of years and am not sure I want to walk that walk again.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #248
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon G View Post
What model Land Cruiser is this? Is this a custom job??
Bj70. Anything with that front end is a 70 Series. They had LWB utes (Outback commercial/ Crocodile Hunter), trucks, and this guy.

They even had a Lj Series that shared the Hilux drivetrain. 22R/E, 2L-T and 3L's and 8" axles.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #249
Lemon G
Banned

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Bj70. Anything with that front end is a 70 Series. They had LWB utes (Outback commercial/ Crocodile Hunter), trucks, and this guy.

They even had a Lj Series that shared the Hilux drivetrain. 22R/E, 2L-T and 3L's and 8" axles.
Never seen one before, super badass! I found this! $$$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BJ70-...#ht_500wt_1069
Lemon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #250
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Sweet. But that hi-lift jack looks pretty new and unused!! What is that curved black thing on the passenger side, it looks like a snorkel!!!

I looked closely at those a couple of years ago, not for myself but for/with a woman I was dating at the time who was looking for a utilitarian SUV. She ended up buying a used 4Runner as she didn't think the back of the FJ had enough room for her stuff, she has a disabled daughter and needs to haul a wheel-chair with her wherever she goes. I liked the FJ. If I were in the market for that type of vehicle, I'd look real hard at those. I also like Wrangler Unlimiteds, similar type, but I owned a standard Wrangler for a number of years and am not sure I want to walk that walk again.
HiLift is new, was an Xmas gift, as was the safari snorkel. The FJ is roomy inside, but not wheel chair roomy. Also the back seat is a beast to get into for normal people.

I like the 4 door jeeps, but I really wish they would make a modern version of the 4.0 I6 engine or a diesel or pretty much anything else! Something about a 3.# liter V6 that just doesn't seem very 'cool'. Something that ought to be in a minivan rather than a 4x4 imo. Not that the FJ's 4.0 V6 is much better, Toyota used to make some cool inline 6s but there's not a chance in hell of them coming back. What I'da really like to see is a V8 in the Wrangler, now that would be interesting.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #251
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
HiLift is new, was an Xmas gift, as was the safari snorkel. The FJ is roomy inside, but not wheel chair roomy. Also the back seat is a beast to get into for normal people.

I like the 4 door jeeps, but I really wish they would make a modern version of the 4.0 I6 engine or a diesel or pretty much anything else! Something about a 3.# liter V6 that just doesn't seem very 'cool'. Something that ought to be in a minivan rather than a 4x4 imo. Not that the FJ's 4.0 V6 is much better, Toyota used to make some cool inline 6s but there's not a chance in hell of them coming back. What I'da really like to see is a V8 in the Wrangler, now that would be interesting.
What is the snorkel for?? Fording rivers?

I agree, think that the V6 powerplants that they've been putting in Wranglers in the past few years are somehow lacking, although I've read that the newest ones (I'm thinking '11 and forward) are better. I remember back in the 70s or maybe early 80s that Jeep put a small V8 in some Wrangler predecessors, CJs I think. Yeah, I'd love to see something like that. And I also think it'd be mighty cool if Toyota would consider putting the iForce V8 in the FJ, 4Runner and even the Tacoma! Zoom zoom.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #252
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesdad View Post
yes I agree, 17 mpg is not anything to brag about, I just heard that the tundra's were horrible on gas, something like 10mpg. just what i was hearing.
I realize that this is an old post, but I didn't have a Tundra at the time and now do. Mine is an '11 DC 4x4 5.7L with a small lift and big meat tires. I've had it three months and put 6K miles on it, so think I can now comment on mileage. Half of my mileage came from one trip over the week of New Year. On the outbound leg I got 17.1mpg. This was all highway miles, and I was going the speed limit which was 75 and 70. On the return leg, again cruising at similar speeds, but this time into a stiff headwind, I averaged less, 14.0mpg. My overall mileage was 15.7. I believe that on secondary roads doing 65mph or thereabouts, a guy could easily average 17 with a Tundra. Around town I get 14mpg. I've never gotten only 10.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #253
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
What is the snorkel for?? Fording rivers?

I agree, think that the V6 powerplants that they've been putting in Wranglers in the past few years are somehow lacking, although I've read that the newest ones (I'm thinking '11 and forward) are better. I remember back in the 70s or maybe early 80s that Jeep put a small V8 in some Wrangler predecessors, CJs I think. Yeah, I'd love to see something like that. And I also think it'd be mighty cool if Toyota would consider putting the iForce V8 in the FJ, 4Runner and even the Tacoma! Zoom zoom.
The snorkel is just for Houston driving.

The stock air intake for the FJ is inside the passenger wheel well. Just 6 days ago or so all the roads the road to my house were flooded. Just driving in a few inches of water can cause water to get into the stock intake.

I think Toyota USED to put the 4.7L in the 4runner, back when they made the less bloated Tundra. I wish they made smaller sportier V8 vehicles. I wish they made more sporty vehicles PERIOD. Maybe the GT/FT 86 or whatever they are creating will fill that need. It's a Subaru powered 4 banger though.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #254
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
It also acts like a cold air intake...

Ambient temps are lower than under hood temps.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #255
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
I think Toyota USED to put the 4.7L in the 4runner, back when they made the less bloated Tundra. I wish they made smaller sportier V8 vehicles. I wish they made more sporty vehicles PERIOD. Maybe the GT/FT 86 or whatever they are creating will fill that need. It's a Subaru powered 4 banger though.
Yeah, they really don't have anything that is terribly "sporty" in the car realm, did away with the Celica a number of years ago and have nothing in the way of a sport coupe at present. I think that their trucks and SUVs are sporty to a point, but think they could do a lot better without having to re-tool a whole bunch. The 4.6L V8 that goes in some present day (bloated) Tundras is a pretty good engine, and would probably work in the 4Runner and Taco.

Re bloated Tundras, it's true that they are damned big. But the 5.7s scream, and with a supercharger they scream louder and go damned near as fast as anything on the market that doesn't cost multiple times as much, including the likes of the Mustang Boss 302, Raptor, etc. Put decent tires on a Tundra, maybe an anti-sway bar, and a supercharger, and you'll become a believer!

Hard cases make bad law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: