User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #286
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454

Rolled it out and washed it this weekend. Gotta love that hi-tec engine.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #287
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyr View Post
Rolled it out and washed it this weekend. Gotta love that hi-tec engine.
Perhaps this isn't the right place for this question, and I confess that I feel like quite a bonehead even asking it, but here goes: What is the best way to wash an engine? I've heard various and sometimes conflicting suggestions. I'm not interested in making one so clean that I can enter it in a car-show, that's not my bag, just getting the major grunge off of it.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #288
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Perhaps this isn't the right place for this question, and I confess that I feel like quite a bonehead even asking it, but here goes: What is the best way to wash an engine? I've heard various and sometimes conflicting suggestions. I'm not interested in making one so clean that I can enter it in a car-show, that's not my bag, just getting the major grunge off of it.
Spray down with a hose. dont spray directly into/onto the air box/ air intake, or any electrical components. Don't use a pressure washer. Wipe clean if you wish.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #289
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Toyota did replace the frame on my '00 Tundra in July '11.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=187

They came up with $1100 of stuff that needed to be done that wasn't covered. Legit items that I knew needed to be done, I just wasn't planning on paying for it all at once Muffler, rear shocks, timing belt, right parking brake actuator (rusted solid). I had to take it back for a clunk in the front end which they said was the right anti-sway bar connecting link ( I had already replaced the left one). Charged me $140 for the part and no labor - I think it should have been covered but didn't need any more aggravation so I just paid it. Also a clamp was off of the right CV boot, which they fixed.

Yeah, I'm glad they did this for "free" but it never should have happened in the first place. I now have rusty old shit bolted to nice new shit. I don't know if I will ever fully trust this truck again.

Some before pics

http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 01:44 PM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #290
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Look at it this way, at least you don't have rusty old shit bolted to even rustler old shit. :-)
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #291
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
Very Nice Flyer!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #292
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,548
No drama or sensation here.

03 Tacoma, one wheel drive, 2.4, auto, air, no power nothing, I added the Audiovox cruise control. ( got tired of using a stick wedged on the footfeet on long Montana trips)

$12000 new in March of 03 put tires, brakes, and a sensor on the exhaust in 83000 miles

Dealer blasted the sticky shit on the frame about 3 years ago on the recall

it just runs and runs and runs- 25 -28 mpg on the interstate

will buy another one when this one falls apart

might be awhile

hope they still make em small enough
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #293
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
hope they still make em small enough
One of my retired co-workers just bought a brand new Tacoma 2.4 single cab with a manual trans and 4wd. Manual windows, locks, no toys (other than the 4wd I guess.)

I didn't know you could still buy trucks that small and it is heartening I tells ya. It's tall, yes, but it's short. I think list is about 20K for the 4wd version. If I were looking for a small truck, that would be the one.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #294
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
One of my retired co-workers just bought a brand new Tacoma 2.4 single cab with a manual trans and 4wd. Manual windows, locks, no toys (other than the 4wd I guess.)

I didn't know you could still buy trucks that small and it is heartening I tells ya. It's tall, yes, but it's short. I think list is about 20K for the 4wd version. If I were looking for a small truck, that would be the one.
Yup, that's exactly what mine was.....'08 regular cab 4x4, 4cyl (actually a 2.7L)5speed, no electronic windows, roll 'em up & down. Mine was the most basic model except for 4wd. Had AC and a single CD player. Very decent little truck, although they are somewhat bigger than they used to be back before circa '03. You don't very often see the regular cab trucks, and, at least around here, almost never see them in 2wd version. My experience with the 4wd is that mileage is not that great, 20-21 on the highway, considerably less than that in the city. My ginormous 4x4 5.7L Supercharged Tundra is only about 2-3 mpg less. The big benefit to the Taco is that they are smaller/handier if you don't need a big truck, and quite a bit less $.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #295
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Spray down with a hose. dont spray directly into/onto the air box/ air intake, or any electrical components. Don't use a pressure washer. Wipe clean if you wish.
That goes along with what I've read, but it doesn't seem to me that spraying with a low-pressure hose is going to accomplish a whole lot. I've seen some products in auto-parts stores for cleaning engines, but have no experience with those.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #296
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
That goes along with what I've read, but it doesn't seem to me that spraying with a low-pressure hose is going to accomplish a whole lot. I've seen some products in auto-parts stores for cleaning engines, but have no experience with those.

dont bother they are a waste of money. use a little elbow grease...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #297
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,548
Simple Green. I have read all the warnings about it also. Here's how I clean my engine compartments:

Do this when the engine is cold. Use the "gentle shower" setting on a garden hose nozzle. Spray the whole engine compartment with hot water from the hose. Rinse everything down real good. Spray Simple Green full strength from a pump sprayer. Turn the nozzle so it kinda mists if you can. Close the hood for 10 minutes. Let everything soak. Rinse off again with hot water.

Close the hood and drive around the block let the engine get warm.

Done. Makes it look new again. Been doing this for several years on all our trucks at work also with no probs whatsoever
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #298
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
I use Sea Foam Deep Creep. Love that stuff.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #299
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post

Dealer blasted the sticky shit on the frame about 3 years ago on the recall
In, or on?

Hint: They are boxed frames.

And it's my understanding the problems arose from manufacturing processes that were omitted on the INSIDE of the frame.

I.e, on or outside is fruitless.

I've seen with my own two eyes frames that looked brand-new on the outside, corroded and broke in half from corrosion on the inside.

Put a locker in the rear and with driver skill you can embarrass most open diff'd 4WD's.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #300
Kris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Which model years had the recall for frame rust problems?
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: