User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #301
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
As posted earlier, I have a 5 lug 2004 Xtracab, 2.4l. Just got the news last week that I'm going back to the oilfield with a truck allowance. Unlike the first time, I'm not going to be stupid and buy a $45k behemoth when I already have a paid off reliable truck.
Mine is a work in progress, I have sturdy pipe bumpers front/rear and a new sturdy pipe tailgate (original was stolen while I was out trucking 3 years ago). I need to do the following and am looking for input:

Small lift to accommodate larger more off road worthy tires.
A locker for added traction for the stock 7.5 rear end.
Air shocks or whatever would increase the load capacity to carry a small camper.

I'm going to use my truck allowance to fund all of these upgrades and then bank it after that.

Here are a few pics of where my truck is headed:

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #302
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,129
Sweet Taco, Scootertrash. It should serve you well, and doing the mods will be fun and a whole lot less $ than buying a new truck.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #303
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Which model years had the recall for frame rust problems?
Every one of the "Tacoma" trucks. Not 4Runners because they were made in Japan.

PS, Tacoma doesn't mean every compact Toyota truck either... A lot of ppl call the pre-95 trucks Tacoma's but they are not.

The Tacoma was the next generation or "body style" of trucks after the Japanese made Mini trucks that ended in in 95.

Tacoma

Not a Tacoma

for further details, google is a great resource...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 08:31 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #304
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
A locker for added traction for the stock 7.5 rear end.

I would advise against that...

If you're gonna lift it and put a bigger tire on you're gonna need gears too. You lose .10th of the ratio for every 1" you go up.

retrofitting a TRD locker will net you three things.

1: Comes with lower gears. 4:11, 4:3?, and there might be a lower 4:5? one.

2: Comes with a locker. Selectable, is even better. ZERO bind, clicking, popping, ratcheting, over/under-steer etc issues on road, 100% locked, full-spool off.

3: Is larger, and thus stronger.

Here ya go: This: http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...products_id=36 and this: http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...products_id=51

Here:

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/index.php?cPath=25_62
Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #305
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Every one of the "Tacoma" trucks. Not 4Runners because they were made in Japan.

PS, Tacoma doesn't mean every compact Toyota truck either... A lot of ppl call the pre-95 trucks Tacoma's but they are not.

the Hilux were built in Fremont Ca from 1991 until the Tacoma was introduced. The rusty frame issue was blamed on manufacturing defects at the Supplier (Dana corp). Anyone that lives in the Northeast can certainly attest that ALL yotas were pretty much rot boxes before the 90s due to lack of galvanized steel. both Tacomas that I've owned we're recalled but they were Louisiana trucks so I didn't have any rust, but back in Mass I knew a few guys that got the buy back because their trucks got blasted with Salt.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #306
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
Some of the Hiluxs were built in the US from 91 until the Tacoma was introduced, but not all. I found that out when I ordered a stereo for my Japan made 93 (which I bought new). A different install kit was required for the US and Japanese built models. You can tell by the VIN#.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
the Hilux were built in Fremont Ca from 1991 until the Tacoma was introduced. The rusty frame issue was blamed on manufacturing defects at the Supplier (Dana corp). Anyone that lives in the Northeast can certainly attest that ALL yotas were pretty much rot boxes before the 90s due to lack of galvanized steel. both Tacomas that I've owned we're recalled but they were Louisiana trucks so I didn't have any rust, but back in Mass I knew a few guys that got the buy back because their trucks got blasted with Salt.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #307
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I have owned the following a yotas over the past 19 years, almost all purchased used except as indicated. I sold the 90 4Runner with 190,000 on her and she was still running strong. The 94 was sold with only 4 cylinders working and it was V6 (177000 miles) and it still could manage 65-70 mph on the freeway as long as it was not uphill.

1989 Extended Cab 4x4 PU
2001 Tacoma PreRunner (New)
1990 4Runner
1994 4Runner
2003 4Runner
2007 FJR (New)

Currently w/o a Toyota but love em and will most likely have another eventually.

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #308
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
I'm the original owner of an '06 Tacoma - I've never been notified of a recall for the frame???
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #309
Dukeryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
I'm the original owner of an '06 Tacoma - I've never been notified of a recall for the frame???
It's only the 1995.5-2004 models

Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #310
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
My opinion on a couple of things, fwiw.

On cleaning toyota (or any) engines: The reason you don't use high pressure water is because it can penetrate gaskets, wiring harness seals, firewall grommets, tear up hoses, and more. SOME of that engine cleaner stuff DOES work. Example: degreasers like engine brite are great if your engine had shat it self, or is coated with road gunk that has blown up. Make sure if you use cleaners that they are plastic safe. I do believe that Simple Green is water-based and fine on plastics but I would try to avoid getting it on painted surfaces. If you have a lot of mud, use plenty of water and a soft automotive brush to break it loose. Most of the time, when you see a shiny clean engine bay, it has been hit with WD-40 or armorall. That's all well and good at the stealership, but that dust and dirt sticks to that stuff, meaning it'll get dirtier: faster. Stick to wiping everything that is wet down with a soft cloth to keep the minerals from the water from spotting up your clean engine.

On gears and lockers: I have the stock toyota e-locker on my FJ, it's great in a lot of situations, but I would if I had to choose between my winch and my locker, I would go with the winch and a something like a "Portable Rescue Tree Ground Anchor". Sometimes even your locker can't save you from whatever horrible soup-like substance masquerading as land that you've wandered into.

Unless you are putting a 6" lift and 35" tires on your 4 banger taco, which you probably aren't if you say you want to get "small lift". Spending ~1000$+ (usually 500$ for gears, 500$ for labor) per axle regearing for a small lift to fit some slightly more aggressive tires seems kind of like a waste of money if you don't 'have' to do it. Depending on the tire size you get, a 4.## gear range could make your taco more annoying to drive on the highway, not less. I know my FJ has a slightly bigger 8" rear, but it has stock ~3.72 gears with 35" tires. I hate my 35's and I want to go back to 33's, but it still fine on the road and off the road. Off the road there is no noticeable difference at the lower speeds especially in low range. I do agree though, that you'll want your locker to be selectable if you get one, and if that requires you to get new gears as part of installation, make sure it's a ratio you can live with. If you have four wheel drive, make sure you get around to matching that front axle up with your rear to avoid breaking things.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #311
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

I've NEVER heard ANYONE have to justify lockers... Or paint a picture where they weren't a useful tool...

If you think the "horrible soup-like substance masquerading as land that you've wandered into" is bad, then try it without a locker.. And no, I don't mean turned "off". I mean try that hole without even having one. Then you could justify needing a locker.

Lockers are something you learn 4 wheeling, like technique. And it doesn't sound like you've mastered it yet... Telling ppl you rather have a land anchor instead of lockers... Not a good call IMO.

How bout; lockers, a winch AND a land anchor?

And try off roading more. Then you'll (hopefully) learn where and how you're supposed to use them, instead of as it sounds you use them, after the fact.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 01:16 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #312
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,482
Anyone know if the 4.0 v6 is still available with the 6 speed stick in a 4x4 tacoma? I see it listed on the website but it is not an option in the "build your tacoma" thing. Obviously I've never seen one on a lot because us lazy americans cant be bothered to use our left foot for driving.

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #313
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
Anyone know if the 4.0 v6 is still available with the 6 speed stick in a 4x4 tacoma? I see it listed on the website but it is not an option in the "build your tacoma" thing. Obviously I've never seen one on a lot because us lazy americans cant be bothered to use our left foot for driving.
I think it is.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #314
Dukeryder

Quote:
Yup! Well except in a single cab. Good luck finding one though. I only found 2 manuals (one 2011 at Stevens Creek Toyota and one in a 2012 in LA) when I was shopping around for a 4x4 back in the fall and they were 5speeds mated to the 2.7 4cyl.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #315
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:

I think it has to be in the sport trd model or one of the lower models. I tried it and didn't like the 6 speed and the auto is one of the best that I've ever driven so it was an easy decision before realizing better mpg with the auto
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: