Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #316
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshanex View Post
I think it has to be in the sport trd model or one of the lower models. I tried it and didn't like the 6 speed and the auto is one of the best that I've ever driven so it was an easy decision before realizing better mpg with the auto
<--- never owned auto, not starting now.

seems the fuel mileage hit between a 4 and a 6 in the 4x4 models is pretty insignificant, so I'm thinking the extra power would be nice for hauling, especially because this will be an access cab - a little heavier than the regular cab. I'm all about that spruce green mica color

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #317
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
I've NEVER heard ANYONE have to justify lockers... Or paint a picture where they weren't a useful tool...

If you think the "horrible soup-like substance masquerading as land that you've wandered into" is bad, then try it without a locker.. And no, I don't mean turned "off". I mean try that hole without even having one. Then you could justify needing a locker.

Lockers are something you learn 4 wheeling, like technique. And it doesn't sound like you've mastered it yet... Telling ppl you rather have a land anchor instead of lockers... Not a good call IMO.

How bout; lockers, a winch AND a land anchor?

And try off roading more. Then you'll (hopefully) learn where and how you're supposed to use them, instead of as it sounds you use them, after the fact.

The point of a locker, is to allow you to spin one of your two wheels that might still have traction, after the other losing traction on the other one. On open diffs, the wheel with the lack of traction would just spin while the other wheel would do nothing. If you have 4 wheel drive, the chances are, if you have 2 wheels with no traction split between the two axles, you're probably means you're in a pretty bad spot.

I stated the post was that in my opinion, not trying to put down lockers, I just said I'da rather have my winch with a solid anchor, than my locker if I had to choose between one or the other. Frankly, maybe you're right, maybe I do need more offroading experience. I don't usually go out to tear my daily driver up. I was thinking back to a point where I was on a river bank after fishing, probably in an area that I shouldn't have been, and I accidentally hit some soft wetlands type soil, lost traction in all four wheels on a slope and the locker just caused me to slide more downhill. I used the winch to get myself out of the situation no problem.

I try to use my truck as a tool to get me to places that I want to be, not like a tool trying to tear it up. If it was going to be my commuter at rugged place, and I was going to deal with the mud and gunk associated with that type of environment then, yeah I would want all of the above. If cost was a problem, I'da take the winch first, the locker second, then probably go for sand ladders, and hey if cost is no problem after that: a bulldozer to follow me around and build roads. However, for winch vs lockers I guess it would all depend on how bad the roads were and the type of soil in the area. But that was just my opinion, and I can tell anybody my opinion if I want. I fail to see how expressing my opinion 'NOT A GOOD CALL' in your opinion, but it's your's so have at it.

You have an opinion too, and I respect that. You should learn how to respect other people, not just their opinions.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #318
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

Oddometer: 174
Not a very good pic:

My wife's 87 with a fiberglass box on it. 124k on it. I pretty sure she'll be buried in it. I've offered to buy her something newer, but she's says no.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #319
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo 1 View Post
Not a very good pic:

My wife's 87 with a fiberglass box on it. 124k on it. I pretty sure she'll be buried in it. I've offered to buy her something newer, but she's says no.

A street legal 4wheeler. (Park a big 4wheeler next to it and see what I mean) With an enclosed cab, all-weather capability, and capable of speeds up to 100mph and 20mpg...

And with equal-length (near zero degree camber when cycled) control arms, VERY precise handling... If you know how to extract it.

THAT'S why I'm a Toyota Mini Truck snob...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 08:56 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #320
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
The point of a locker, is to allow you to spin one of your two wheels that might still have traction, after the other losing traction on the other one. On open diffs, the wheel with the lack of traction would just spin while the other wheel would do nothing. If you have 4 wheel drive, the chances are, if you have 2 wheels with no traction split between the two axles, you're probably means you're in a pretty bad spot.

Open diffs are just like a black hole (in the universe). The closer you get to it, the more you get sucked in.

Open diff law says; The wheel with the LEAST amount of grip, gets the power... And no amount of power can magically make that spinning tire regain and have MORE traction than the one that IS NOT spinning so it can overcome its friction block and pull you out of the hole you're in.

This is where modern technology comes in with traction control.. Independent wheel speed sensors trip the computer and it automatically hits the brake on the spinning wheel (only) and forces power to the wheel that has no speed. Only thing is, now since we have two competing amounts of friction, we now have drag from the wheel that just a second ago didnt have ANY traction...

(POS locker, and nevermind the grade. If you put one side of an open diffed 4WD on rollers, it wouldn't pull a stop sign over)

Be thinking of that next time you pull off a gravel road and in front of a tractor trailer...

Just like weak limited slips that take a lot to actuate, you'll prolly be buried too deep before the other wheel gets the signal to spin and subsequently free you.

Lockers are just like 4wheeling and require technique... And since they are mechanical they require ZERO interaction with your brakes and computers to work.

And yes. There are places that having one or both axles locked are NOT a good idea... Ice and shale are two GREAT examples.

Sometimes it's good to have one wheel hold you to something while the other acts like a safety feature in that if it gets too much power, it'll just spin out.

In some places if you're locked too much power will make both spin, or initiate a loss of traction because both tires can NOT take the same path in a turn, and you will be worse off than before.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 09:20 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #321
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
<--- never owned auto, not starting now.

seems the fuel mileage hit between a 4 and a 6 in the 4x4 models is pretty insignificant, so I'm thinking the extra power would be nice for hauling, especially because this will be an access cab - a little heavier than the regular cab. I'm all about that spruce green mica color
Just to throw in my experience on the MPG issue FWIW, I had an '06 X-cab 4X4 with the 4cyl and an '08 Double cab 4X4 with the V6. The MPG difference was pretty significant though. In mixed use, mostly light load commuting: 21 - 23 MPG on the 4 cyl compared to 15 - 18 on the V6. That is, at least for me, the 4cyl did better than the EPA sticker and the V6 commonly did worse than the EPA sticker.

Not completely apples to apples beacause the V6 was the double cab, but still a big difference. Honestly, if I had to do it again, and I didn't think the 4 banger would meet my needs, I would not buy another V6 Tacoma. It was a very nice truck, but the MPG was not acceptable for a truck with the limited towing and hauling capacity that it had. I'd go back to a full size, and get the same MPG in a bigger and more powerful Silverado or F-150 (just MHO). Good luck with whatever you choose!

jeffs900s screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 10:03 AM
jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #322
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Yeah, I'm a child.

Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #323
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,504
Let me say this about that...

The mica green colored taco is very nice.

On another note; I've had previous 5sp manual 4cyl's and was very happy with them mileage wise and otherwise.

I've got a double cab 6cyl auto taco now and that dude is thirsty. I'll be looking for another taco in the next few months and I can tell you it won't be their 6 cylinder and it won't be an auto. Won't be a double cab, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs900s View Post
Just to throw in my experience on the MPG issue FWIW, I had an '06 X-cab 4X4 with the 4cyl and an '08 Double cab 4X4 with the V6. The MPG difference was pretty significant though. In mixed use, mostly light load commuting: 21 - 23 MPG on the 4 cyl compared to 15 - 18 on the V6. That is, at least for me, the 4cyl did better than the EPA sticker and the V6 commonly did worse than the EPA sticker.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #324
airheadpilot
Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
Yeah, I'm a child.

I recently had those Hi-Lift bull-bar mounts and used them to mount my trophy jack to the front of the ARB bumber on my Tundra just like in this picture. Worked great until I got off pavement. But maybe it's because I don't lights in my wheels.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #325
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,423
Laugh my two toyotas 87 4 runner and FJ.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #326
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
The saga continues

As stated quite a few posts back, my taco has become my work truck in a new oilfield job. This is my second time back and I won't be making the same mistake of running out and buying a $45k beast like I did before. My concern is that my truck lacks 4wd and I'm hoping I can get by with my truck as is, as I want to pocket the $675 pm truck allowance.
There are guys going out to rigs in regular cars. I know from the past that I hardly ever needed 4wd so I plan to do the following to my truck. Mild lift (done 1.5" in the front, 2" Add a leaf in the rear), Detroit TruTrac LSD in the 7.5" rear end, New shocks (done). Bushwhacker EGR street flares, larger off road tires and a Softopper camper shell.

Before the lift:

After the mild lift and new shocks. Truck handles way better, with additional firmness:

EDIT: pic below inserted for comparison purposes, 235/75 R15 tires were purchased on 3/13/12 to replace the 205/75 R15 tires.

The mild flares I want to buy after the larger tires:

The Trutrac limited slip diff I want to install to help on those bad rig roads..

The Softopper bed cover for camping and protection of my less value items such as clothes. Higher value goods are in the truck.

If this plan fails, I'll probably buy a used FJ Cruiser. I only have to haul myself out to the rigs, no tools this time or trailer.
What do you think of my plan?

Here's the front and rear again:

Fog lights have been replaced with 7" Hella spot lights.

Original tailgate was stolen, so I had the builder of my bumpers build me this stout heavy wall tubed tailgate. If I need to close it in, I'll buy a precut piece of diamond plate and bolt it to the outside of the gate.

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 07:18 PM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #327
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Let me say this about that...

The mica green colored taco is very nice.

On another note; I've had previous 5sp manual 4cyl's and was very happy with them mileage wise and otherwise.

I've got a double cab 6cyl auto taco now and that dude is thirsty. I'll be looking for another taco in the next few months and I can tell you it won't be their 6 cylinder and it won't be an auto. Won't be a double cab, either.
Spoke to my dealer last weekend, and after a rather tense exchange ("what part of "I want a manual transmission" do you not fucking understand?") he got in a barcelona red 2012 4x4 4cyl 5spd SR5 access cab for me. I'll go look at it saturday, and will be buying it if I like the stick trans, or buying the Spruce Mica auto twin of the truck if I dont. My previous test drive of the auto model left me reasonably impressed, so I figure things can only improve with the manual.

Should everything continue to work out, I'm looking forward to my first brand new vehicle

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #328
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
Spoke to my dealer last weekend, and after a rather tense exchange ("what part of "I want a manual transmission" do you not fucking understand?") he got in a barcelona red 2012 4x4 4cyl 5spd SR5 access cab for me. I'll go look at it saturday, and will be buying it if I like the stick trans, or buying the Spruce Mica auto twin of the truck if I dont. My previous test drive of the auto model left me reasonably impressed, so I figure things can only improve with the manual.

Should everything continue to work out, I'm looking forward to my first brand new vehicle
As you pointed out in your earlier post where you showed the gorgeous green access cab truck, the difference in mileage between the 4cyl and the 6 is not that great, and the extra power is advantageous at times. I am not sure it's even possible to get a 6 with a manual tranny, is it? I had a regular cab '08 with the 4cyl/manual and it wasn't too bad, but there were times when I wished it had a little more get-up-and-go. A close friend bought an '09 access cab with the 4cyl/manual setup too, and is happy with it. But if I were in the market for one now I think I'd be inclined to go with the 6cyl/automatic, for towing and a bit of extra zip on the road when needed. I don't know what the cost differential is between the two, however, and imagine it might not be insignificant. Either way, enjoy your first new truck!!!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #329
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,660
Went from this '98 Taco

To this '11 Tundra

and couldn't be more satisfied.

I miss the Tacoma's mpg, size, and maneuverability, but not the lack of space, power, and creature comforts...even with the supercharger it was a dog for towing compared to the Tundra. MPG is no concern since it's never going to be a daily driver. I average anywhere from 11 to 16mpg depending on conditions & whether or not I'm towing.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #330
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,019
I traded my 1991 Ext cab, V6 4wd Toyota in when it had 240,000 miles on it, for my 2000 Tundra ext cab, Limited TRD. I wanted something bigger. Other than basic stuff, both have been pretty reliable....oil every 5,000 miles, tires every 60,000 miles, timing belts every 110,000 or so, etc. My Tundra now has 170,000 miles on it. It's not pretty, and the door hinges are junk, have been from day one. But otherwise I'm happy with it. Would love to get a new Crew Cab but don't see me being able to swing $45,000 anytime soon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: