Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #331
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
As you pointed out in your earlier post where you showed the gorgeous green access cab truck, the difference in mileage between the 4cyl and the 6 is not that great, and the extra power is advantageous at times. I am not sure it's even possible to get a 6 with a manual tranny, is it? I had a regular cab '08 with the 4cyl/manual and it wasn't too bad, but there were times when I wished it had a little more get-up-and-go. A close friend bought an '09 access cab with the 4cyl/manual setup too, and is happy with it. But if I were in the market for one now I think I'd be inclined to go with the 6cyl/automatic, for towing and a bit of extra zip on the road when needed. I don't know what the cost differential is between the two, however, and imagine it might not be insignificant. Either way, enjoy your first new truck!!!
you can get the V6 with a stick, a six speed, but by all accounts it is awful. Weak synchros, weak third gear, all but useless first gear, and the six rev hangs badly for emissions purposes. Toyota six speed synchos have been revised three or four times since 05 trying to remedy the problem. I dont feel like taking that risk.

If I wanted a double cab, I would go with a 6, but I want the full size bed. It is available with a double cab, but makes the truck a mile long. As I said in my post, I was pleasantly surprised by the 4 cylinder with an auto, and most accounts say the 5 speed hasn't had the issues of the 6 speed.

I've been driving a rental 2011 Silverado Double Cab for the last two weeks at work (best rental I've ever had, p.s.) and have grown to like the four full doors alot, but it is a lot of vehicle. Tough to park, makes me nervous driving in busy towns with on street parking, complete hell in a parking garage. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who always drove rangers and a saab.

As far as a cost difference, on sticker its probably 4-5k difference between 4/M and 6/A - not a deal breaker, but as it stands I do not tow enough to justify it.

I look at this as a long term investment, and dont feel the need for speed with a truck. Thats what the motorcycles are for

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S

Crocodile Tears screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 05:47 PM
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #332
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Went from this '98 Taco

To this '11 Tundra

and couldn't be more satisfied.

I miss the Tacoma's mpg, size, and maneuverability, but not the lack of space, power, and creature comforts...even with the supercharger it was a dog for towing compared to the Tundra. MPG is no concern since it's never going to be a daily driver. I average anywhere from 11 to 16mpg depending on conditions & whether or not I'm towing.
What topper is that? Ive got an '11 Tundra as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #333
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,066
Not the best lighting, but I just got a set of 235/75 R 15 tires on this evening. These Goodyear Wranglers are 6% larger in diameter. I haven't had a chance to drive it too far to see the effects, but seat of pants is not feeling the difference too much. I'm under reading 3mph at 50mph, but with the 5 spd, I stay in a lower gear longer.

TV-free for 5 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #334
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
What topper is that? Ive got an '11 Tundra as well.
Topper on my Tundra is an A.R.E. MX series with rails on top for a rack, if I ever wanted to add one.

Got a riser top so I'm less apt to hit my head when moving gear around, and it ensures I don't have to lower the seatposts on my bikes when I haul them.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #335
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Topper on my Tundra is an A.R.E. MX series with rails on top for a rack, if I ever wanted to add one.

Got a riser top so I'm less apt to hit my head when moving gear around, and it ensures I don't have to lower the seatposts on my bikes when I haul them.
I like. Im running a softopper right now. I really like it but I think its killing my gas mileage.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #336
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
you can get the V6 with a stick, a six speed, but by all accounts it is awful. Weak synchros, weak third gear, all but useless first gear, and the six rev hangs badly for emissions purposes. Toyota six speed synchos have been revised three or four times since 05 trying to remedy the problem. I dont feel like taking that risk.

If I wanted a double cab, I would go with a 6, but I want the full size bed. It is available with a double cab, but makes the truck a mile long. As I said in my post, I was pleasantly surprised by the 4 cylinder with an auto, and most accounts say the 5 speed hasn't had the issues of the 6 speed.

I've been driving a rental 2011 Silverado Double Cab for the last two weeks at work (best rental I've ever had, p.s.) and have grown to like the four full doors alot, but it is a lot of vehicle. Tough to park, makes me nervous driving in busy towns with on street parking, complete hell in a parking garage. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who always drove rangers and a saab.

As far as a cost difference, on sticker its probably 4-5k difference between 4/M and 6/A - not a deal breaker, but as it stands I do not tow enough to justify it.

I look at this as a long term investment, and dont feel the need for speed with a truck. Thats what the motorcycles are for
I hadn't heard that about the Taco 6 speed manuals. One thing I'm noticing these days is that automatics have gotten sooooooo much better than they used to be. I remember that automatics always got poorer mileage than a stick, and then in the last 10 or 15 years that switched.

One of the things that concerned me when I went from my '08 Taco to the '11 Tundra was that, I'd be giving up a stick. But I've come to love the automatic in the Tundra. It has that "manual" shift option, but I don't use it, just put it in drive and go. And I have this hunch that I'd burn more gas if I had a stick.

I have never driven a 6 cyl Taco. I'd like to. I know that if I were looking at buying another one I'd go with the 6/auto. I agree on wanting a full length bed. The Double Cab Tundras have four doors, but they are the equivalent of an access cab Taco. The equivalent of the DC Taco is called a CrewMax in the Tundra, and they don't come with a full length bed. But a guy can get a long bed in the Double Cab, with an 8 or 8.5' bed. Those things are huge, long, would be like cornering/turning a Greyhound bus.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #337
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Sure enough, the dealer got in a 5spd for me, and I ended up going for it. I honestly could have gone either way on auto or manual after driving them both. Heres to hoping it treats me well!

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Old 03-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #338
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,339
Is that the 5sp 4cyl, Croc? If so, would that moonbase you live at have any mountains? I live about as high up as you can drive on a mountainside in Alaska and am wondering about how hard that little 4 would be taxed getting up the hill a time or two every day.

Thoughts? BTW, that green was a beauty. The red's sharp, too. Nice truck.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #339
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Is that the 5sp 4cyl, Croc? If so, would that moonbase you live at have any mountains? I live about as high up as you can drive on a mountainside in Alaska and am wondering about how hard that little 4 would be taxed getting up the hill a time or two every day.

Thoughts? BTW, that green was a beauty. The red's sharp, too. Nice truck.
yes, the 2.7 with a stick. its no sports car, and I would assume it would be working pretty hard if you are describing it a a mountainside. I live outside Toledo, OH, pretty flat and boring. I think it will work for me. In your case, hard to say. I would definetly get a stick so you arent constantly downshifting on the mountainside.

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #340
HardCase
winter is coming

I drove a 2.7/5speed stick for 5 years, and it was great, climbs well enough. It's a decent off-road vehicle, has 4 Hi and Lo and will climb pretty much anything that you'd reasonably need. It does okay on the highway too once you get it up to speed, although it ain't a drag-racer.

I love that Toyota green. A guy just down the street from me has a Tundra in that color, and it's gorgeous when it's clean and on a sunny day, but when it's dirty, which it usually is, and overcast, it looks muddy black. I think the red will be a more practical color long-term. They don't call it "resale red" for nothing.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #341
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quick question. Today I drove a 2000 Tacoma, Automatic, 6cyl, TRD, 94k miles. Only Tacoma I've ever driven. I noticed whenever I drove off from a stop the rear end bounced up and down until I got up to 20mph or so. Never experienced that before. Tires looked good. My instinct is to run away, but I'm curious... is something that these trucks do, or is this particular truck wonky.

Thanks

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #342
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
...whenever I drove off from a stop the rear end bounced up and down until I got up to 20mph or so. Never experienced that before. Tires looked good. My instinct is to run away, but I'm curious... is something that these trucks do...

Noop. They don't do that. Peek at and around the rear suspension as something's thrashed or missing.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #343
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
Quick question. Today I drove a 2000 Tacoma, Automatic, 6cyl, TRD, 94k miles. Only Tacoma I've ever driven. I noticed whenever I drove off from a stop the rear end bounced up and down until I got up to 20mph or so. Never experienced that before. Tires looked good. My instinct is to run away, but I'm curious... is something that these trucks do, or is this particular truck wonky.

Thanks
odd.

granted, my brand new stickshift took about a half hour to get used to. Yours being an automatic though, I would probably run away unless you saw an easily identifiable / remediable solution.

Only suspension issue I know of is b/c of overloading and causing the rear leaf packs to sag. If that occurs, TSB will cover you. Otherwise....

Edit - 2000 is pre-TSB that I am thinking of. My first internet instincts are to run. Honestly, considering resale values, I would never buy a tacoma used. New trucks are so close to the market value and do not drop quickly om value. There are opportunities to be taken advantage of if anyone wants to hit it.

I like the 2.7/5spd/access, but to say it isnt gutless will be a personal preference: I believe it isnt super aggressive, but it can do work offroad.

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S

Crocodile Tears screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 11:56 PM
Old 04-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #344
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,374
Just took the plunge on a 2012 Tacoma V6 SR5 Access Cab. Pics to follow. I'm rather pumped!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #345
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
Just took the plunge on a 2012 Tacoma V6 SR5 Access Cab. Pics to follow. I'm rather pumped!
Sweet! I predict you're gonna love it. 4 or 2wd? Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Hard cases make bad law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: