User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #361
YotaNate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thats crazy clean. If I had that I couldn't bring myself to drive it for fear of messing it up. It would just sit in my garage like a museum piece.
YotaNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #362
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,316
Prius pickup !

Saw this at Cumberland Gap this weekend.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #363
jonnytorch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
Prius pickup !

Saw this at Cumberland Gap this weekend.

It counts!
jonnytorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #364
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,480
Just checking back in to give an update. Truck only has 1700 miles on it so far.

the 2012 is doing well, and with the 4cyl it is doing acceptable in power and fuel economy. Averaging 21 mpg in mostly city and short freeway drives, hauls around my motorcycles just fine. The CB's and CL's fit in the box with the gate up, ninja is about 3" too long to close the gate. Glad I got the fullsize box or I would be having to hang the rear wheel right at the edge of the gate to haul. Two bikes in the back does not feel like a drag on the truck whatsoever.

It is gutless, but the 5spd shifts nicely, and rides fairly smooth. Access cab rear seats have room for a 5'10" person without too much issue, much bigger and its tight. Stereo is pretty fair, seats are comfy, vision out of the truck is nice and the rearview camera is amazing.

I'm not a huge fan of the electronic transfer case - can be a little finicky about shifting in and out of 4L. I would much prefer a manual transfer case, although I do not miss having to get out to lock in hubs, etc.

I am looking for a little more usable power - Doug Thorley makes a header that on stock truck is dyno proven for 10hp/10tq, along with a bit of a freer breathing air filter, I feel will make a fair difference in everyday driving.

I'd buy one again.

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S

Crocodile Tears screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 08:32 PM
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #365
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Looove Toyota pickups! Still kicking my dumbass for blowing my truck allowance back in 2006 on a new Dodge Megacab 4x4 CTD. Even stopped at the Toyota dealership first but rejected them as being too small and expensive. Had I gone that route, I would still be in that truck, vs dumping the Dodge 9 months later at a huge loss.
My current '04 4cyl 5spd has been flawless up to it's current 130+k miles. It's now becoming my BOV (Bug Out Vehicle) with a fiberglass utility shell added. I'm setting it up to be self contained with a cot, portable loo, water container ect. Ventilation (8" diameter clear access hatches in the doors) and a generator are coming next. I can defer the purchase of a portable a/c until next year. Also putting a narrow plywood deck on the left side of the cot.

EDIT:
I added a plywood panel with a carpet runner today to be able to move around inside and still have access below. You can see that I have full access to the plug in cooler in the very front, right side below the cot. Panel lifts up easily and the carpet is fastened with upholstery tacks. I'm wondering if I should have posted this in light campers or truck campers??

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 09:34 PM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #366
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 18,085
I want that shell.
Where did you find it?
Weight?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #367
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Hi, it's a Durashell 165 and I was told it weighs 400lbs. Not light, but certainly a lot less than a truck TC. I got it at Fleetwest in Tempe, AZ.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #368
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by logging road rider View Post
My Toyota history.
When I was born in 1978, I was driven home in a 1972 FJ55. That was our hunting, fishing, and camping rig when I was a kid.
In 1996, just before graduating high school, I bought an extra cab, 4wd 1986 Toyota pickup with 110k miles. After driving the wheels off it through college and a few years of working, I sold it with 220k on it and bought a 1999 Tacoma. The Taco was just a newer version of the '86. Same color exterior, same color interior, same options, both 4-cylinder and 5-speed, only the Taco had 36k on it. Fast forward a few years and a back injury forced me to trade the Taco in on a full size pickup. That era of Toyotas just wasn't made for tall people and I couldn't sit in mine without pain.
The F150 I bought was a good truck but I bought it in a rush. It was 2wd.
My eye has always been on the T100s. Not just any T100, but the years with the 3.4l. On top of that, I wanted it with a 5-speed tranny. There aren't that many T100s around and finding one with that engine, that tranny, and somewhat low miles is nearly impossible.
Last week I hit a home run. The T100 I just bought is the sweetest truck I've ever owned. 94k, 3.4l, 5-speed, extra cab, 4wd, one owner, receipts from a local dealer for all major services, spray-in bed liner, new Goodyear Wranglers. It was an estate sale and I gladly paid the $7100 asking price. It needed a washing and a muffler. For my needs it's bad...fucking...ass. I put a flowmaster on it this morning and it made me smile even bigger.
MPG shouldn't be any better or worse than other full size pickups and I don't care. I also have a small Toyota commuter car that gets 38mpg.
Great score. A friend of mine has a T100, I don't know which engine or tranny offhand, or even the year of the truck, but he bought it new and I'm thinking it was mid-90s or thereabouts (I'm not sure when Toyo went from the T to the 1st Gen Tundras), and he's put over 150K on it and it's still going strong. You should get lots of great use out of that truck. The T100s don't appear to be all that much bigger than present day Tacomas.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #369
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I have a 97 T-100, automatic, 4 WD, with the wonderful 3.4. Just over 241,000 miles and this thing runs like new. I cannot believe this truck. I'll put a third belt job on it next year just for kicks. I say maintain the crap out of it with oil changes every 3,000 miles, trans flushes, gear oil changes, etc. While I wait for my old lady to shop for food I'll hang around and Armorall the rubber things, rub grease on the door hinges, sweep the floors, polish the intake runners, you get the idea.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #370
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoneshot View Post
I have a 97 T-100, automatic, 4 WD, with the wonderful 3.4. Just over 241,000 miles and this thing runs like new. I cannot believe this truck. I'll put a third belt job on it next year just for kicks. I say maintain the crap out of it with oil changes every 3,000 miles, trans flushes, gear oil changes, etc. While I wait for my old lady to shop for food I'll hang around and Armorall the rubber things, rub grease on the door hinges, sweep the floors, polish the intake runners, you get the idea.
Smart! It will last longer than you.. I do the same with mine and hope to have it for a loooooong time. Haven't had a car payment in almost 5 years, would like to save most of my truck allowance and spend some of it on upgrades as something wears out..

Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #371
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,094
A little update on my 2000 Tundra TRD Limited.

I had to swap transmissions this summer. Mine has 175,000 or so miles on it. This year, the tranny started acting up. Occassional hard shifts, then a humming noise between 45-65mph. A few times the torque converter got stuck, and the truck would stall at stop signs, etc. Many of these were symptoms of the known problem of the 2000-2002 planetary gear failure. I could switch off the OD and the humming would go away. So I shopped around salvage yards for a 2003-2004 model 4wd transmission, as these had the upgraded gears in them, and are still a direct swap. Found one and got it swapped for around $1200 total. The replacement was a 2004 model with 71,000 miles on it. The improvement is VERY noticeable.

Bad news is, that now the driver side door hinge is bent like the passenger side is. Neither door shuts properly. Both hinges have been busted for years, neither door has any assist or resistance when opening. On any incline, the doors will swing wide open without slowing down. This creates more problems ad it bends the hinges, and now both doors "hit" improperly when you close them. I could replace the doors, but this is an expensive fix. Passenger side power window motor is also about to die. The doors and hinges are the SINGLE biggest weak spot on this truck for me. They've been problematic for years.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #372
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
My 2001 Tundra is in the process of getting a new frame due to the corrosion recall. It's going to be like getting a new truck for free since everything else is in great shape.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #373
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3160774.story

Quote:
Next week, when NASA's recently retired shuttle makes the last leg of its long journey it will be hauled part of the way by a Toyota Tundra truck.

One Toyota official said the event is "a great opportunity for Tundra and the Toyota brand." Jaymie Robinson, a public relations strategist for Toyota, said the company is looking at all of its marketing options, "a commercial being one of them."

Ads touting the hauling capacity of trucks have long been a staple of the pickup market, where ruggedness and power are glorified.
"In the pickup truck segment, the towing wars are never over," said Eric Noble, president of an automobile consulting firm in Orange. He commended Toyota "for pulling something like this off."

The shuttle will be hauled for most of its two-day trek to the Science Center by a state-of-the-art robotic transporter used to carry very heavy things.
But the transporter is not on the Caltrans list of vehicles approved for towing over bridges, according to William Harris, senior vice president of development and marketing at the Science Center.

Harris said Toyota, which has a long history of philanthropy at the Science Center, volunteered a Tundra for the overpass portion of the route.
A special dolly will be used to help the truck haul the roughly 170,000-pound shuttle.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #374
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
My 2001 Tundra is in the process of getting a new frame due to the corrosion recall. It's going to be like getting a new truck for free since everything else is in great shape.

Ouch!

We don't have the rust problems around here, but over on one of the Tundra forums, the frame rust recall was a nasty issue! Seems that Toyota basically confiscated some trucks, and then offered "blue book" reimbursement. A lot of people were not happy about this. I haven't followed up on this issue in a while...but you're the first person I've ever heard say they were getting a replacement frame?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #375
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Ouch!

We don't have the rust problems around here, but over on one of the Tundra forums, the frame rust recall was a nasty issue! Seems that Toyota basically confiscated some trucks, and then offered "blue book" reimbursement. A lot of people were not happy about this. I haven't followed up on this issue in a while...but you're the first person I've ever heard say they were getting a replacement frame?
Confiscated? I don't think Toyota (or any auto manufacturer) could get away with that. I assume what they did was simply say that this is the deal, they can't fix so they offer $X for the vehicle, blue-book value or what have you. I would think that if they were eggregiously unfair about it there would be some class-action lawsuits filed, however. I don't know the history, am just speaking from a personal and legal experience perspective.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: