User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #376
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
Yeah, it's been a while since I read any of the treads about the frame rust issues. But some guys were very upset about being told that their vehicle was deemed unsafe, and would not be allowed back on the road. Whether or not they were confiscated, I don't know. But more than one person was angry about having to "sell" their truck back to Toyota.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #377
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Yeah, it's been a while since I read any of the treads about the frame rust issues. But some guys were very upset about being told that their vehicle was deemed unsafe, and would not be allowed back on the road. Whether or not they were confiscated, I don't know. But more than one person was angry about having to "sell" their truck back to Toyota.
I have a lot of stuff, personal property, that could be "deemed unsafe" by some bureaucrat. Guns, knives, chemicals, the list is endless in just about any household. I don't think a private company could truly confiscate a privately owned vehicle and if the guys had insisted they'd have gotten their "unsafe" and rusty trucks back.

In a way I suppose it would be comparable to an insurance claim after an accident. My car is wrecked, it's your fault, and your liability carrier decides to total it and offer me some lowball price for it. I certainly have the option to tell them to go fuck themselves and take my wrecked car back.....or to accept their offer, or to try to negotiate for more, including a trip to court. That sort of thing happens thousands of times each day in this country.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #378
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,287
I think it's internet tough guy BS. From what I've heard, Toyota was/is offering above book for
the buy out and possibly sweet pricing on replacement vehicles.

Anybody who bitches about a manufacturer buying back a 10 year old vehicle that doesn't pass
inspection should remove their head from their rectum.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #379
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I have a 2011 tundra. I miss my 2007 f150 everyday. Can't wait to get rid of this Toyota.
bloodline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #380
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Well long story short: The frames were not correctly treated at the US DANA plant that supplied them. As a result many that are in cold weather states have signifigant rust.

When mine was first inspected in 11/11 it passed inspection and I was sent on my way. I received a follow-up recall that they would be applying a coating to all frames and to bring it back in to set it up. Apparently the stuff they put on was in short supply and the shop applying it needed to meet strict environmental guidelines to apply it. As a result mine has been pushed off until this September.

As a show of good faith Toyota would be applying the coating to the entire frame since I'm in a cold weather state. If you are not they only do the rear portion. Well, I guess since the last recall inspection mine now has frame holes so they are putting an entire new frame on it.

I was expecting a hassle and had printed out all the PDF's of what was to be done from Toyota but the dealership was great. "keep the rental (which Toyota pays for) and we'll call you when it's ready." Additionally if it needs any parts not covered under the warranty they will install them at no cost since the truck is completely disassembled.

I should have my "new" truck back in another week or so. The process so far has been entirely hassle-free.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #381
silverbandit1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
I have a 2011 tundra. I miss my 2007 f150 everyday. Can't wait to get rid of this Toyota.
Really...

Whats the reason?

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to think "profiling" is worse than the slaughter of innocent people.... In memoriam, 9-11-01
-B.Tinsley-
silverbandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #382
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
I think it's internet tough guy BS. From what I've heard, Toyota was/is offering above book for
the buy out and possibly sweet pricing on replacement vehicles.

Anybody who bitches about a manufacturer buying back a 10 year old vehicle that doesn't pass
inspection should remove their head from their rectum.

If you read the frame rust thread over on TundraSolutions, there are hundreds of different accounts of how differently people get treated based on where they took the truck, etc.

One guy says: I own a 2000 Tundra with frame rust, and upon inspection by the dealership it did qualify for the frame replacement. Then I received a call from the service manager that additional parts will be in excess of $8000, needless to say I said NO Thanks.

Doesn't sound like his dealership is standing behind the recall if they plan to charge him an additional $8000. Many Tundra owners were told they would not be allowed to drive their trucks off the lot after the frame failed inspection. At some point though, Toyota started putting them on new frames instead of buying them back.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #383
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,072
I wish we got the Hilux here in the US.. with a diesel option, even better..

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #384
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Like silverbandid1, I am also curious to know why. I have a 2011 Tundra and love it. I've never owned anything other than Toyota trucks, but this is the first big one. One of my office mates has a 2009 f150 and is always bitching about it and wishing she had a Tundra. I guess it just goes to show that you can't please all the people all the time!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #385
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Unless I win one, I've owned my last Ford product ever. Owned two, and that was two too many.

*I WOULD buy or build a pre 1960s hot rod out of an old Ford...let me clear that up!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #386
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Saw this on a trailer heading to a mine somewhere. It's a Toyota of some sort. Couldn't get a shot of the badge on the grill.

Looks like it's built to last.

canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #387
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Like silverbandid1, I am also curious to know why. I have a 2011 Tundra and love it. I've never owned anything other than Toyota trucks, but this is the first big one. One of my office mates has a 2009 f150 and is always bitching about it and wishing she had a Tundra. I guess it just goes to show that you can't please all the people all the time!
I've had many toyotas. bought many brand new. felt guilty in mid 90s for not buying murican. had a 95 dodge ram...had a ford explorer. spent at least 4x more on maintenance on those pieces of shit than in 20+ yrs of owning yotas.

dated the yota dealer's daughter, was buddies with he bro that runs the place. I have an 05 tundra double cab. rolled 220K on it. needed nothing until a few weeks ago. broke a leaf spring. . replaced the serpentine belt at 180 as a precaution. otherwise they rock. gave my 2000 tundra to FIL. he still runs it as his good truck

I never kept a truck this long, and kick around trading in, but also think, why not keep it rolling?

I think they should be the model for what a modern PU truck should be....
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #388
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME View Post
Saw this on a trailer heading to a mine somewhere. It's a Toyota of some sort. Couldn't get a shot of the badge on the grill.

Looks like it's built to last.
Looks like a Landcruiser FJ-70 pickup. I wish they would import that model into the US. Its so utilitarian its crazy. Instead we get the bloated versions. A choice would be nice.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #389
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
Looks like a Landcruiser FJ-70 pickup. I wish they would import that model into the US. Its so utilitarian its crazy. Instead we get the bloated versions. A choice would be nice.
Did some looking around. This company in North Bay imports and outfits them. Looks like they even have a Cummins engine as a option. Be nice if they were street legal.

http://www.millertechnology.com/prod...Carriers&id=71
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #390
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbandit1 View Post
Really...

Whats the reason?
Tundra is fragile. Barely bottomed it and had to spend an hour beating on the skid plate just to change the oil. I beat the heck out of my ford and never hurt the undercarriage.

Tundra fuel mileage while towing is horrible. The fuel tank is way too small.

If you try close the tailgate with something hanging out, the tailgate pops off the hinges.

The ride is bouncy and annoying.

The steering has absolutely zero feedback.

All of the little storage boxes in the cab are too small to be useful.

I hate the wiper controls and the cruise control.

Can't turn off the seatbelt minder and its incredibly annoying. I wear my seatbelt and its still annoying.

All of the cigarette lighter outlets are switched with the ignition. How the heck are you supposed to charge anything?

The s mode is not a manual mode it just dictates the highest gear available.

No push button entry on drivers door.

Did I mention the gas mileage while towing?

The cup holders suck.

The stereo sucks.

I like the power, unless I'm towing, and I like the brakes.

The tundra is a truck for someone that doesn't need a real truck.

Damn, I miss my F150.
bloodline is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: