Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #391
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Tundra is fragile. Barely bottomed it and had to spend an hour beating on the skid plate just to change the oil. I beat the heck out of my ford and never hurt the undercarriage.

Tundra fuel mileage while towing is horrible. The fuel tank is way too small.

If you try close the tailgate with something hanging out, the tailgate pops off the hinges.

The ride is bouncy and annoying.

The steering has absolutely zero feedback.

All of the little storage boxes in the cab are too small to be useful.

I hate the wiper controls and the cruise control.

Can't turn off the seatbelt minder and its incredibly annoying. I wear my seatbelt and its still annoying.

All of the cigarette lighter outlets are switched with the ignition. How the heck are you supposed to charge anything?

The s mode is not a manual mode it just dictates the highest gear available.

No push button entry on drivers door.

Did I mention the gas mileage while towing?

The cup holders suck.

The stereo sucks.

I like the power, unless I'm towing, and I like the brakes.

The tundra is a truck for someone that doesn't need a real truck.

Damn, I miss my F150.

Thanks for coming on over here and puking on this thread . I love the Tundra. I just sold mine and wish everyday that I hadn't. Maybe you should start a Ford Truck thread and never click on this thread again.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #392
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 180
Bought this truck when I was around 18. Came home bone stock on a trailer, missing pieces, rusted frame, and needing engine work.
It went trough several stages of 'modification' as funds allowed and extensive 'durability testing' until what you see here.
35's, dual t-case, hydro steer, fuel injection, modified cab & frame, etc...ramps 1200 or 1400 if I remember.
Been sitting in a field the last few years, no time to play with it. Put some insurance on it last week and took if out for a rip. Aired up the tires and that's all. What a blast. Really brought back the memories. I will never sell it.

Untitled by J B (jmjb) on 500px.com
Untitled by J B
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #393
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,816
Quote:
Tundra is fragile. Barely bottomed it and had to spend an hour beating on the skid plate just to change the oil. I beat the heck out of my ford and never hurt the undercarriage. As I mentioned before, I haven't owned a Ford or any other brand of truck, so my responses lack that aspect, but I've used my Tundra for some offroading and taken it on some truly awful roads with no ill effect. This sounds more like simple random bad luck than overall fragility to me.

Tundra fuel mileage while towing is horrible. The fuel tank is way too small. The fuel tank of a Tundra is 26 gallons. I do not know what an F150 tank holds. You can buy an aftermarket tank for Gen II Tundras (all my comments relate to those) that holds 46, and I have considered doing so, but how often do you drive 350+ miles without needing to stop? I simply don't see the problem. I have decided that a bigger tank would be useful only if I were going to want to use the truck in an "expedition" situation.

If you try close the tailgate with something hanging out, the tailgate pops off the hinges. I have not had this experience. That said, I generally don't try to close a door or tailgate with something hanging out.....

The ride is bouncy and annoying. There is some bounce in the ride. It doesn't bother me, but everyone is different.

The steering has absolutely zero feedback. I disagree. I can feel the tread of my tires through the steering-wheel.

All of the little storage boxes in the cab are too small to be useful.

I hate the wiper controls and the cruise control. Cruise control is standard Toyota.....I'm used to it so it's fine. Wiper controls? They seem very conventional/standard to me as well.

Can't turn off the seatbelt minder and its incredibly annoying. I wear my seatbelt and its still annoying. I believe there are codes that can be accessed to turn off the reminder. You say you wear your seatbelt and it still chimes?

All of the cigarette lighter outlets are switched with the ignition. How the heck are you supposed to charge anything?True.

The s mode is not a manual mode it just dictates the highest gear available. True.

No push button entry on drivers door. Huh?

Did I mention the gas mileage while towing? You did. Does a gas-engine Ford or Chevy with comparable power get better mileage while towing? I know that diesel does, but that would not be a fair comparison.

The cup holders suck.

The stereo sucks. Seems decent to me, but I'm no audiophile.
I like the power, unless I'm towing, and I like the brakes. Why would you not like power when towing? I would think that's where it would be quite useful.

The tundra is a truck for someone that doesn't need a real truck. Whatever. I have used mine as a "real truck" for a year and it has served me well.

Damn, I miss my F150. Toyotas usually have decent resale value. Trade or sell your Tundra and get a Ford.

Hard cases make bad law.

HardCase screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 08:39 AM
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #394
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Blue text is un-readable.

I just got my Tundra back with the new frame, control arms, and about 100 other new parts. Total cost to me -- Zero.

I feel like a got a new truck.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #395
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Blue text is un-readable.

I just got my Tundra back with the new frame, control arms, and about 100 other new parts. Total cost to me -- Zero.

I feel like a got a new truck.
Really? Sorry about that. It appears pretty clearly on my screen, but I suppose I could have chosen a different color.....is red any better?

Hard cases make bad law.

HardCase screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 08:38 AM
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #396
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
The engine does not make power where it's needed for towing. It belongs in a SUV.

The tundra won't pull my boat in top gear. The best mileage have seen is 7.8 mpg. Combine that with about 22 usable gallons in the tank and I'm lucky to run 150 miles without stopping.

My f150 would get 11 mpg under the same circumstances and had 33 useable gallons.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #397
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
The engine does not make power where it's needed for towing. It belongs in a SUV.

The tundra won't pull my boat in top gear. The best mileage have seen is 7.8 mpg. Combine that with about 22 usable gallons in the tank and I'm lucky to run 150 miles without stopping.

My f150 would get 11 mpg under the same circumstances and had 33 useable gallons.
Big v8, small v8, or v6?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #398
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

The 5.7, 2 wheel drive. The ford in my comparison was a 5.4, 4x4, 3.73 rear end.

bloodline screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 07:24 PM
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #399
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:

Does your Tundra have the towing package, or the tow switch on the dash? The switch is supposed to alter the settings of the tranny to make it shift at different points and be more towing-friendly. I have not towed anything heavy with mine, a very light boat weighing less than 1000 pounds, and a utility trailer with perhaps 1500 pounds of stuff on it, so can't really comment.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #400
Wingnut037
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 260
I tend to drive a stick when possible, but for those with 1st gen Tacoma experience, how big of a difference is there between the two transmission options. Mainly asking due to the majority of the trucks I am looking at are automatics. Waiting to sell my jeep before going out and driving a few, as I don't want to waste someones time before I am ready to buy.

4x4 or prerunner in stock trim if it makes a difference. Mostly for towing things with the occasional trip into the mountains.

Thanks!
Wingnut037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #401
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
damn you must be loaded. new tundra AND pulling some kind of giant yacht up a mountain!?
we were pulling this

with
2001 i4 nissan frontier (struggled, ate clutches!)
'99 5.3L chevy silverado would do it with a little effort
mid 1990's 2wd v6 nissan pathfinder (no issue at all, pull it right out of the water. Better than the chevy!)
5.4L nissan armada would rip it out of the water

must be something wrong if that 5.7L tundra engine can't pull it. engine, torque converter, transmission, something. That thing is a monster of a stock truck engine. when released the only other gas v8 truck engine within an honest 50bhp of it was the titan's.

The newer GM's are super nice. good engine. for awhile they were crap. the only way GM could compete gas-mileage wise was force the engine to run closed-loop and cruise AFR's for FOUR SECONDS after you floored the throttle LoL! throttle response & engine output was a joke! Of corse the titan and tundra come along so they had to fix it (they did, and now they get even better mileage!)

IDK man. joking aside what's that thing weigh? you got road grade issues?
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #402
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Does your Tundra have the towing package, or the tow switch on the dash? The switch is supposed to alter the settings of the tranny to make it shift at different points and be more towing-friendly. I have not towed anything heavy with mine, a very light boat weighing less than 1000 pounds, and a utility trailer with perhaps 1500 pounds of stuff on it, so can't really comment.
Yes. Tried that. Tried s mode and dropping it down a gear, too. All that did was make it downshift more. I got 7 mpg for that tank. Flat interstate.

I got my best, lol, by just putting it drive and letting it shift back and forth. Ski annoying.

To the poster that showed the hp graph, first of all, the graph starts at 4k, rpm. That's useless. Second, it's the torque curve around 2-3k that matters.

I knew something was fishy when I saw the rear end gear was over 4:1 on the tundra. I should have known.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #403
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
no, if you had any insight whatsoever you'd recognize it's showing the late model chevy v8's closed loop failage.

i hate to be the barer of bad news, but something is broken, you're towing something massive (8000-10,000lbs or more) or you've got an unrealistic expectation of towing.
from IDLE your engine has just over 75bhp on tap (that's well over 300ft-lbs of torque at 1000rpm). that's enough to move more the full-size pickup is rated to tow. the only trucks that have more than are the ford V-10, or diesel. so something, somewhere is 100% wrong. get the truck checked out.

Toysrme screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 10:49 AM
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #404
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Get out of here with your logic and backup documentation.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #405
silverbandit1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
I have been a fan of Toyotas especially their trucks, currently have a 1996 5spd, 4cyl, 2wd Tacoma with almost 309,000 miles and an 2007 4x4.
The 96' I just drove coast to coast in August putting on 8400 miles in nearly 3 weeks and even up Pikes Peak in Colorado - it never missed a beat!

I have been thinking of getting a Tundra as I could use a full size truck and also I have heard they are coming out with a re-design for the 2014 model.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to think "profiling" is worse than the slaughter of innocent people.... In memoriam, 9-11-01
-B.Tinsley-
silverbandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: