User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #46
Buffalo Bill
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 995
Not many pics of all those toys, but here's the ole brown cruiser..

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 01-26-2011 at 08:43 AM
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #47
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
My guess on the Location is:

Looking east on main street just up the street from Mickey D's with the Judith Mountains in the distance, 4,231 feet above sea level. One of my favorite places on Earth..Great Steaks at the Mint Bar in Lewistown..

Sorry about your girlfriend........

Many Toyota in my garage over the years..88 4x4 5spd std cab 22r, 93 xcab 3.0 5spd 4x4, 70 fj40, 86 fj 60w/tpi v8, (2) Forerunners 94-95 3.0 5spds, (4) t100s w/3.4 by far the best truck for me, 2001 Tundra v8..All I have left is a 78 fj40 in baby shit brown color. I expect thats the one they'll endup burying me in..

Always like the rugged dependability of Toyota.

"Long Live the Great Plains"
We have a winner! On the evening of the day that the picture was taken, Lynn & I had steaks at the Mint Bar. That was in late June of '08. She died in early July '09. Thanks for the condolences. I think Lewistown is a truly beautiful spot, and the country north of there, between Lewistown and Fort Benton, is some of the most gorgeous scenery in the world IMHO. I had thought about possibly retiring to that area one day, but may want to go somewhere just a little warmer.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #48
Buffalo Bill
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 995
I've spent lots of time over the past few years pretty deep in the country around those parts. My last trip in mid September of last year, while working with a documentary film crew, we holed up for a night in Fort Benton. Great/Grand Hotel they have there. The following week was spent on the river sleeping in a tent and enjoying time in the boats pictured on the FJ40. All good stuff, even the last day which included 26 miles floating the river in a Snow Storm..I'd vote for retiring there and then just spend a few short months each year in a warmer climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
We have a winner! On the evening of the day that the picture was taken, Lynn & I had steaks at the Mint Bar. That was in late June of '08. She died in early July '09. Thanks for the condolences. I think Lewistown is a truly beautiful spot, and the country north of there, between Lewistown and Fort Benton, is some of the most gorgeous scenery in the world IMHO. I had thought about possibly retiring to that area one day, but may want to go somewhere just a little warmer.

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 01-26-2011 at 04:05 AM
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #49
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,031
I've had a few Toyota trucks. Unfortunately I sold my rotted frame 95 Tacoma extra cab two days before I got the recall notice. No doubt the kid that bought it knew about the deal. He probably made $4K that day.
Before I sold it I bought a 2000 Tundra SR5 extra cab 4x4 with a somewhat rare V6, 5 speed and manual transfercase. When I parked the two trucks next to each other I discovered the beds were exactly the same length. The Tundra box is about 1.5 inches wider inside. I've also parked the Tundra next to new Tacos. It is exactly the same size as the Tacos in every dimension. I'm thrilled to not have the push button 4x4 electronics. Nothing like simply pulling the lever back to engage 4wd. As far as I'm concerned I'm driving the new Tacoma without the cost of one.
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #50
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
I've spent lots of time over the past few years pretty deep in the country around those parts. My last trip in mid September of last year, while working with a documentary film crew, we holed up for a night in Fort Benton. Great/Grand Hotel they have there. The following week was spent on the river sleeping in a tent and enjoying time in the boats pictured on the FJ40. All good stuff, even the last day which included 26 miles in a Snow Storm..I'd vote for retiring there and then just spend a few short months each year in a warmer climate.
Lynn & I had a great dinner at the Grand Hotel in Fort Benton just a few months prior to her death.

I've thought about the idea of retiring to Lewistown and then doing the snow-bird thing every winter for a few months. It's really great there from about April through November, although the wind blows a bit more than I prefer. Great hunting. One of the guys I used to ride with moved there a couple of years ago and loves it. Something to think about.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #51
Lone*Star
Redneck loaned as SFOHITM

Oddometer: 670
Yo - Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Gordon View Post
Major Yota love here.
You should come over and see this thing. 4 years without a car and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

I'm thinking some modifications are in order.
For your cell phones
And we screen all applicants
With a fine-tooth comb"

Robert Earl Keen
Lone*Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #52
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone*Star View Post
Like a blindspotectomy?

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:12 AM   #53
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Like a blindspotectomy?

I quote a customer of mine who owns one -

"you can only see what you about to run over"

MZcountryboy screwed with this post 01-26-2011 at 03:20 AM
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #54
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
That's what I figured. Mine is a regular cab, 4cyl., 5speed. I find that I get under 20 driving around town, more in the 17 range. I do a lot of short trips, though, plus I live in a cold climate, and those factors are hell on mileage.
I have the identical truck to yours (well, different color) and I don't track mileage out to any precise degree. But every time I fill up the tank I do the math for fun, and it's always just under 20, most of that local driving. Call it 19mpg, 2/3 short trips around town. So pretty much the same as what you are getting, but helped from the weather being warmer down here.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #55
hilandfrog
jackass

Oddometer: 12,723
I suspect another MAJOR difference in the 90's version to the 2000's versions is one can at least fix a 22 re, and most of the related parts, mostly for lack of a compooter....
Is this the same on the new I4's?
Or are they something one just takes to the dealership

I had my 94 at the local shop for some Cruise Controll work.... they noticed a few things in need of repairs.

$480, bought the parts at Napa, fixed up the problems that night, $53
Brake fluid flush, front pads, coolant system flush and a new license plate light

Repo
Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #56
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Basic reason why the PU's got huge is money. As in it costs almost as much to make a small PU as a much bigger one. But most people buy their vehicles by the pound/foot, so you can't charge as much for the little one as the big motha.

You see it with everything made in Japan. Accords the size of full boat Buick's, Civics bigger than an Accord 10 years ago. Just so the price can go up...Lots of chatter about whether American's will buy the high quality/cost small cars that the companies want to sell to get the fleet average high enough to meet the govt standards. AND make a lot of money.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #57
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone*Star View Post
You should come over and see this thing. 4 years without a car and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

Holy Cow! Lisa would kiss you till Christy knocks her out just to sit in it. She's got it bad for a white FJ. Talk about blind spots. It'd be like that time she met me in Pheonix while I was on a ride. She shows up in a H3... all 5'1" of her.< if that brick was was the dash on the H3 that's what she looked like.

The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors;
that which it loves, and also that which it fears.

James Allen

G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #58
dodgerdodger
Acountabilabuddy

Oddometer: 1,365
Current cages......

1986 Celica GT - 156K - 30+ mpg
1998 Tacoma TRD - 164K - 2" OME lift, 33 MTRs - 17 mpg - LOVE this truck!
2000 4Runner - bought with 156K, now over 200K - runs like new
2007 Tundra TRD - just bought with 60K - 14 mpg so far

I am certainly impressed with the reliability factor of these vehicles. Time will tell on the new to me Tundra in time I guess.
2009 YZ250F
2012 1/2 sherco 3.0 Cabestany
dodgerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #59
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I think the small Toyota truck especially two wheel drive stick shift four cylinder is one of my favorite all general purpose vehicles. They drive so nicely. At some point though, the Tacoma has become too large. The 1999 I worked on is the right size.
I've owned the four banger (a '99) and it was great. My current daily driver is a 2005 TRD Pre-Runner with the 4.0 Six. It's also great if shitty on fuel consumption. I briefly owned a Tundra and that V8 got about the same mileage as the six in the Tacoma.

For me the current Tacoma is about the right size - it definitely doesn't need to be bigger. They could do something with the arrangement of the interior dimensions to make it more comfortable but the overall size is fine, imho.

Of course we can start the inevitable Hilux diesel whine now

p.s. I'm tempted to trade in for an FJ as my daily driver and pick up a base four banger for my truck duties. Those FJ's can get expensive something fierce once you start loading them up with options though. Or maybe trade in for a new Tacoma access cab. I don't think I've ever had more than two people in my current ride, why do I need four doors

p.p.s.

Always wanted to do something like this to mine (never will but I get a bit of a woody thinking about it).

JNRobert screwed with this post 01-26-2011 at 10:07 PM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #60
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,657
'91 Extra Cab Deluxe 4X2 4 cylinder 5 speed was the best vehicle I have ever owned. '86 Tercel I had before it was a close second.

'00 Tundra Access Cab SR5 V8 4X4 has been the WORST.

My driveway has rust stains from the huge chunks flaking off of the frame

Brakes are fucked up, always have been. Toyota regional service manager refused to accomplish Toyota Technical Service Bulletins in 2003 even though I was still under warranty. I just live with the warped rotors now.

At least they fixed the cracked exhaust manifold and multiple bad O2 sensors.

Last year I went over a speed bump at walking speed and the left anti sway bar link broke - rusted through. Part was like 200 bucks.

Everything under the truck is a rusty mess. I have snapped off both of the rear mounting bolts on the skid pan and a brake line retainer bolt, just to name a few.

My wife's '02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport (not a great vehicle) looks brand new underneath compared to my Tundra.

I've had shitty '70s - '80s GM vehicles that didn't rust like this POS.

Fuck Toyota, never again...
http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 01-26-2011 at 10:18 PM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: