Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #61
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,731
Let me say that changing the starter motor in a 1999 Tacoma 4X4 automatic is quite fun and enjoyable especially dropping the steering rack to get the fucking thing out. I debated pulling the axle instead but it looked less fun.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #62
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I think the small Toyota truck especially two wheel drive stick shift four cylinder is one of my favorite all general purpose vehicles. .
two wheel drive. 4 cylinder.

I thought this thread was about trucks...

must have been mistaken.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #63
nomad guy
nonaffiliated

Oddometer: 767
the real shame is that none of the Japanese manufacturers sells their 4cyl diesel engines in the states including Toyota's awesome D4D.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #64
dip1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
'91 Extra Cab Deluxe 4X2 4 cylinder 5 speed was the best vehicle I have ever owned. '86 Tercel I had before it was a close second.

'00 Tundra Access Cab SR5 V8 4X4 has been the WORST.

My driveway has rust stains from the huge chunks flaking off of the frame

Brakes are fucked up, always have been. Toyota regional service manager refused to accomplish Toyota Technical Service Bulletins in 2003 even though I was still under warranty. I just live with the warped rotors now.

At least they fixed the cracked exhaust manifold and multiple bad O2 sensors.

Last year I went over a speed bump at walking speed and the left anti sway bar link broke - rusted through. Part was like 200 bucks.

Everything under the truck is a rusty mess. I have snapped off both of the rear mounting bolts on the skid pan and a brake line retainer bolt, just to name a few.

My wife's '02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport (not a great vehicle) looks brand new underneath compared to my Tundra.

I've had shitty '70s - '80s GM vehicles that didn't rust like this POS.

Fuck Toyota, never again...
You do know they are replacing frames on the Tundra's now too? My 01 Tacoma was replaced last year. Just FYI...
dip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #65
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Let me say that changing the starter motor in a 1999 Tacoma 4X4 automatic is quite fun and enjoyable especially dropping the steering rack to get the fucking thing out. I debated pulling the axle instead but it looked less fun.

Let me call you a Whhaaambulance, and go change a starter in a Fucking POS Tundra V8 and get back to me.

Dropping a steering rack in a Taco is 3 fucking bolts Plus the steering u-joint - all accessable with the impact gun. Even the fluid line connections are right there.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #66
darenative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I had the same truck, with similar problems. The breaks sucked, warped rotors every 8,000 miles like clockwork, even after doing the TSB work. Upper end aftermarket rotors fixed my problem.

Exhaust manifold replaced under warranty---- ended up being piston slap started at about 8,500 miles.

Trans started getting sloppy at about 45,000 miles and I traded the bitch in on a new 05 F250 PSD. Other than regular maintenance the Ford has been trouble free.

Those were just the highlights on a long list of shop visits

Quote:
'91 Extra Cab Deluxe 4X2 4 cylinder 5 speed was the best vehicle I have ever owned. '86 Tercel I had before it was a close second.

Brakes are fucked up, always have been. Toyota regional service manager refused to accomplish Toyota Technical Service Bulletins in 2003 even though I was still under warranty. I just live with the warped rotors now.

Last year I went over a speed bump at walking speed and the left anti sway bar link broke - rusted through. Part was like 200 bucks.

Everything under the truck is a rusty mess. I have snapped off both of the rear mounting bolts on the skid pan and a brake line retainer bolt, just to name a few.

My wife's '02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport (not a great vehicle) looks brand new underneath compared to my Tundra.

darenative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #67
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 14,661
love my Toyotas....currently have a 05 tundra double cab with 170K on it....gas, oil, tires, one set of front brake pads and one tranny flush is all I have done to it...got the 05 to replace my 2000 that was handed down to the father inlaw...he still runs it as his nice car....

was buddies with the toyota dealer and dated his sister in the late 80s...he traded me up to a new truck every year for peanuts and did crazy things like had his mechanics swap over the AC and stuff...hammered on all of them pretty bad....never a problem...

then in 1996 I got pushed into "buy USA" and got a Dodge...yeah in 95k miles replaced tranny and front end...spent more on fixing that truck than I did on 2 decades of driving toyotas.

why can't they all be like this?
freeflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #68
threadkiller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:

There is a phone number in the owner's manual where you can call in a complaint. I had an $4,956 "issue" with my out of warranty Tacoma that the regional warranty guys denied. One call later, Toyota stepped up and fixed my issue and it did not cost me a dime. Even the call was free.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #69
Nobikebiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
My family's had real good luck with Toyota's.

My parents were looking for a new/newer car back in 1994. They stopped by the Toyota dealership and they had a returned leased '93 4Runner. Had about 18,000 miles on it, was in good shape, so my mother haggled and they left with it. At about 160,000 miles, the engine (v6) blew a head gasket. They hadn't gotten a warranty, so my dad decided to replace it. Spent two weekends tearing down the front end and the motor. He finally calls the local service garage to order a new head gasket, and they tell him that that engine's head gasket was an OEM mistake. The replacement/repair is covered by Toyota.

He puts the engine/front end kinda-sorta back together, tows it to the garage (at Toyota's expense, nice of them) they fix it, we get it back. At ~200,000 miles, after moving to PA, same thing happens. My dads mad at this point (we don't have a garage, so it's going to be a bitch to fix on the street) and calls the local Toyota garage. They tell him the same thing as before: it's our mistake, we fix it free of charge. We tow it over to them (our cost this time) they proceed to fix it.

By this time, it's getting up there. Even after they fixed it, it never ran right. By the time 235,000 miles rolls around, it's down to running on 5 cylinders (had a really distinctive exhaust note, though, really sweet sounding), with low compression in another 2. It's also suffering from corrosion from the salt up here in PA. Add a couple of dings and scratches from idiots parking too close, another yahoo running into it at a stoplight with his geo metro (hit the towing reciever-thing, punches a hole in his radiator), and it's getting time to replace it.

So, at ~240,000 miles it gets traded in for the "cash-for-clunkers" program last year.

Never had a problem with the brakes, though. After getting it, my dad put on some expensive ceramic pads in the front 4-piston discs. They didn't need replacing (and didn't warp the rotors) until ~230,000, and even then they were about half-thickness compared to the new pads. By the time we traded it in, the rotors were warped (hmmm... cheap pads warp, expensive ones don't) and destroyed.

My dad was toying with the idea of dropping a 350 crate motor in, but then the cash-for-clunkers came along and they decided to take advantage of it.

Oh, at about 215,000, the rear window motor stopped working right. You had to help it up the last 3 or 4 inches. We replaced that, got the new motor/gear box... The old motor and new one are the same. The old gear box had a metal case and metal gears (all were fine), the new one had a plastic case and nylon gears. We just swapped motors and everything was hunky-dory.

--------------

We also had my grandparents old Toyota mini-Truck for a while. Ran great, good gas mileage, no problems.

We overloaded that thing so many times. I felt kind of sorry for it.

Then a couple of high+drunk assholes (don't even get me started about my incompetent local police) parked on top of it. Bent the bed and tailgate all to hell, and twisted the frame. It didn't get driven much in the winter, so for being a 91 (in 2004) it was in really, really good shape. I was, needless to say, angry.
Nobikebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #70
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
Let me call you a Whhaaambulance, and go change a starter in a Fucking POS Tundra V8 and get back to me.

Dropping a steering rack in a Taco is 3 fucking bolts Plus the steering u-joint - all accessable with the impact gun. Even the fluid line connections are right there.
That's nice, you should write it down. I didn't need to disconnect the u-joint. Some advice the next time you do it. It's easier if you remove all four mounting bolts on the steering rack instead of just three fucking bolts. You'll swear less.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #71
darenative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
There is a phone number in the owner's manual where you can call in a complaint. I had an $4,956 "issue" with my out of warranty Tacoma that the regional warranty guys denied. One call later, Toyota stepped up and fixed my issue and it did not cost me a dime. Even the call was free.
I had a hard enough time getting shit covered when it was under warranty, it was like pulling teeth. The regional warranty guy was a f'n prick and acted like the repairs were coming out of his pocket. Glad they hooked ya up.
darenative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #72
ADK
____

Oddometer: 7,976
Urban legend?

Toyota trucks are regularly stolen down in Albany(port of Albany) and supposedly wind up on the boats headed overseas. Anybody care to confirm or deny?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #73
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 724
Probably true, its the US, everything gets stolen... land of opportunity and all
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #74
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
That's nice, you should write it down. I didn't need to disconnect the u-joint. Some advice the next time you do it. It's easier if you remove all four mounting bolts on the steering rack instead of just three fucking bolts. You'll swear less.

Yeah, - I'm sorry 'bout my lousy attitude. I take it you haven't put a starter in a tundra yet.

MZcountryboy screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 05:20 PM
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #75
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
Yeah, - I'm sorry 'bout my lousy attitude. I take it you haven't put a starter in a tundra yet.

Try a starter in an LS400 and get back to me.
SteelJM1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: