Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #106
Lucifer Orange
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesdad View Post
Is this only for the original owner. If there is a problem with frame rust can it still be taken care of ?
Not just for the original owner:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ommitment.aspx

As far as I know, for the 1995-2000's they are still buying trucks at 1.5 x the KBB if the frame fails inspection. If it passes, you get the coating.

I bought my 2004 used and have had the coating treatment done. Rec'd the letter from Toyota & away I went to the dealer.

Here's a very long discussion: http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95993
Lucifer Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #107
sideburns
refurbished robot

Oddometer: 37
I've always been a huge fan of the assorted Toyota trucks, having owned a number of them over the years:

89 4runner - 189k when I sold it, the 22re was still running strong.
88 4runner - 202k, next off road build project, current alternate winter driver
00 4runner - current winter driver

83 truck - 22r, only 60k miles, 3" lift, 33s

85 truck, albeit sporting a Dodge v/8 and 35s these days
sideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #108
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburns View Post
83 truck - 22r, only 60k miles, 3" lift, 33s

I still love those, though I don't really fit in them. I wanted to buy one when I was about 18, but I ended up buying a new 85. I actually had two '85s. The first one was a standard non SR5, and got stuck paying 18%... I didn't even figure that out until about a year later. It was a great truck. I sold it to buy a '85 SR5, because I thought I had to have fuel injection. Big mistake. The carburated one was a better truck.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #109
chasesdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Ya, I had an 85 xtra cab . I think it was the last year for the solid front axle. It didn't ride very good but man was that thing tough. Wish I still had it , seems lots of people want that solid axle for offroading now.
chasesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #110
chasesdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Orange View Post
Not just for the original owner:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ommitment.aspx

As far as I know, for the 1995-2000's they are still buying trucks at 1.5 x the KBB if the frame fails inspection. If it passes, you get the coating.

I bought my 2004 used and have had the coating treatment done. Rec'd the letter from Toyota & away I went to the dealer.

Here's a very long discussion: http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95993
Thanks for the info.
chasesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #111
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Here's mine. 1987 22re with 187,000 when I got it. The motor had never been rebuilt and the timing chain guides were basically gone. I took the motor out and rebuilt it with new pistons, rings, timing chain kit, oil pump, water pump, etc... It has 6,000 miles on it now and I expect it to go another 20 years, easy. I got lucky and found it with very little rust, nothing really to worry about.

This is where a chain guide would be helpful:

This next picture is from last summer but since then i've replaced that hunk of metal on the front with a stock bumper, lights and signals. It looks much nicer now.

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #112
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Here's mine. 1987 22re with 187,000 when I got it. The motor had never been rebuilt and the timing chain guides were basically gone. I took the motor out and rebuilt it with new pistons, rings, timing chain kit, oil pump, water pump, etc... It has 6,000 miles on it now and I expect it to go another 20 years, easy. I got lucky and found it with very little rust, nothing really to worry about.

This is where a chain guide would be helpful:

This next picture is from last summer but since then i've replaced that hunk of metal on the front with a stock bumper, lights and signals. It looks much nicer now.

That truck have some sort of mural on the tailgate? It looks very familiar
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #113
SilentRay
Rebuilt

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Really? My '08 standard cab is a 4 cyl. 4x4, and I know that a friend bought an access-cab which is newer than mine, either an '09 or '10, not sure which, that is 4x4 and has the 4 cyl. Has Toyota discontinued those in '11?

My bad. When i was searching thier site for models/prices, i was looking at the double cab. Standard and access cab are still available with the 2.7.
SilentRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #114
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentRay View Post
My bad. When i was searching thier site for models/prices, i was looking at the double cab. Standard and access cab are still available with the 2.7.
That's what I thought, although I hadn't checked recently. I don't believe that Toyota has ever offered the double cab with a 4 cyl., at least not in this country. I suspect that such a vehicle would be woefully underpowered. The regular and access cabs in current production are a little sluggish. I do remember that it used to be possible to get the regular cab with a V6. I don't think you can nowadays, but wish you could, I think that'd be a sweet truck.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #115
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,765
Here in Canada Toyota lists the 4cyl models on their website but I've never actually seen a used example for sale anywhere built after the late '80's. ie: they don't appear to actually reach the market.

Might simply be Toyota Canada and Toyota USA sharing the same website. It looks awfully similar. ie: it's the same site.

I might have another look at that "Texas" truck.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #116
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
That truck have some sort of mural on the tailgate? It looks very familiar
No mural...The tail gate looks just like the side of the truck.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #117
Lornce
Lost In Place

'98 Tacoma "Texas Truck" - A few thoughts after a closer look:

1. Selling on a used lot so you know he's asking too much. But if it's clean and sorted, maybe worth the premium?

2. If he can realise anywhere near his asking price, power to him. It won't be from me.

3. Filthy interior. Not the way to impress a customer. Asking premium for a used vehicle, wouldn't you at least detail it first?

4. History's too weird for me.

For that kind of $$ I could find a 4cyl 5spd Ford Ranger half as old with half the mileage. They're a good truck and they're made in the USA.

Count me as not willing to pay the Toyota cult premium.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #118
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,098
I guess that would be me, too. I went looking to replace my wrecked Toyota 4x4 pickup and ended up buying an immaculate Ranger 4.0 4x4 with 40,000 miles for about what people were asking for hard used 200,000 mile Toyota 4x4 pickups.

The Ranger doesn't drive as nice as a Toyota pickup. For instance the clutch may as well be made out of wood. And it has already decided not to start once. But it does all the truck stuff just as well as the Toyota and it makes a whole hell of a lot more power with about the same mileage.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #119
Lornce
Lost In Place

Grreatdog, I had a '95 Ford Ranger 4cyl 5spd long box and it was a great truck. Totally bomb-proof after 278k kms with strong brakes and a decent ride for a small truck.

Not sure, but it may have used the same tranny as your 4.0. I know it's the same tranny on the V-6 F150's from the late '90's. ie: The 4 cyl Ranger was over-engineered.

I'd buy another without hesitation.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #120
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
No mural...The tail gate looks just like the side of the truck.
Just curious, knew a guy when I lived out there had the same truck. I miss my '89
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: