Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #76
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
and fortunately for the buyer in these times a little money will buy a whole lot of bike.
just don't plan on getting a side or twin pipe CZ on the cheap.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #77
nachtflug
infidel

all right I'm going to blast the shit out of something or someone on Black Ops.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #78
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
One thing that comes to my mind as soon as I read through this thread, is how much more leg strength it takes to slow a 2 stroke, I am sure you are quite used to riding a 4 stroke, and how the thing stops as soon as you close the throttle. 2 stroke, just coasts, no compression braking at all. You have to use a lot of your stamina just on braking. Nachtflug, did you hear Brad's race is moved to Infinion race way (sears point ) Sonoma, ca?
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #79
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervision View Post
One thing that comes to my mind as soon as I read through this thread, is how much more leg strength it takes to slow a 2 stroke, I am sure you are quite used to riding a 4 stroke, and how the thing stops as soon as you close the throttle. 2 stroke, just coasts, no compression braking at all. You have to use a lot of your stamina just on braking. Nachtflug, did you hear Brad's race is moved to Infinion race way (sears point ) Sonoma, ca?
I did, which would/will give me more incentive to attend. If I went back to Brentwood the very next year something tells me it wouldn't be as special.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #80
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Of all the racers I've met the old school MX guys are the most friendly. Most talk to ya like you're old friends. Just cool guys.

And then there's Nixon. Fuckin' goofball.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #81
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I think my favorite event, is actually the Hollister Race, in October
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #82
Garthe OP
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by supervision View Post
One thing that comes to my mind as soon as I read through this thread, is how much more leg strength it takes to slow a 2 stroke, I am sure you are quite used to riding a 4 stroke, and how the thing stops as soon as you close the throttle. 2 stroke, just coasts, no compression braking at all. You have to use a lot of your stamina just on braking.
100 % correct. When I was new to off road riding, I tried a couple of two strokes...FREAKED me out on nasty rock infested downhills . Then I would get back on my XR 650 R and pick my way through the same down hill in 1st gear .
Garthe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #83
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,704
Quote:
YZ 490's are very affordable. at the sake of sounding like an elitist its a buyers market.

Yup, I'm working a deal for an '88 with the disc brake front for $300. Broken kick start lever if that tells ya anything, Jim.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 AM   #84
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Well, I want to take the plunge into AVDRA, Vintage MX racing. I really need some help on trying to pick out a bike.
have a look at the menu and the waitress will be right over. she's fucking off in the kitchen...

http://nachtflug.smugmug.com/Maico
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #85
Garthe OP
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
Quote:
have a look at the menu and the waitress will be right over. she's fucking off in the kitchen...

http://nachtflug.smugmug.com/Maico
you are pure evil.

Garthe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #86
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
True vintage is pre-1974 motorcycles.
Actually, true vintage is older then that. But if you think the pre-74 bikes are expensive...

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #87
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Yeah I can see taking that pinned in third over Big Gulp at Budds. Wonder what casing a big double would feel like riding a battleship.

Honestly I had that model as a Triumph in '75. The bung plug on the tank still said BSA as did a few other parts. Hmmmmmm..................oh yeah Triumph called it The Avenger...........I think??????
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #88
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post

i believe that is jeff smith?
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #89
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,176
As for power, it is quite correct that a late 80's 250 will be right in line with the XR. It will be softer down low, then hit pretty hard in the middle and have a top end pull that will match the XR. It'll get more wheelspin so it won't feel quite as freight-train like. Its also much lighter. My guess is that on a loamy surface it'll out accelerate the big XR. Riding a gear tall will make it as tame as you like, then dab the clutch when you want to go somewhere.

I wouldn't totally rule out a 125 either. You'll have to wring its neck like mad to go anywhere, but when kept on the pipe they move out quite nicely and really an ideal tool for learning good riding skills. Physically they are identical to the 250s so as far as size goes there's no difference, its just a matter of power and weight. A 125 makes as much power as I can generally make use of. I'm 160lbs, but I'm also fairly experienced so maybe those balance out. I don't think the CR125 got the cartridge forks till '88, but I'm not positive (the 500 and 250 had them by '87 for sure though). I've known some big guys to run 125s and enjoy them.

For reference, a 125cc MX bike makes about the same power as a DRZ400S and is about a hundred lbs lighter ready to ride.

I've learned the best by riding a light under powered bike and chasing better riders around the track. If I find someone good who I can trust I can often run way above my normal speed by copying their lines, speeds off ramps etc. Its bad though if you follow someone off a jump matching their speed and they over-jump by 40' and land flat (not that I would know...).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #90
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I wouldn't totally rule out a 125 either.

I've known some big guys to run 125s and enjoy them.

For reference, a 125cc MX bike makes about the same power as a DRZ400S and is about a hundred lbs lighter ready to ride.
he's 6'6, 270 pounds...