User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #136
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Again what a great thread

There are many, many ways to do it when you live in the Western world because we have the leisure of choice. As many have said, you can work some, save some, quit, go for a while, and start over, it works for some but not for all, some do it their whole life and are just better for it.

Another way is to acquire early a skill set that will allow you to:

a) travel for very little expense - Flight attendant, pilot, aircraft mechanic for a major airline... lots of time off, decent pay, great benefits (my choice then).
b) have lots of time off at regular interval, specific industrial/construction work, shift work, seasonal work, farming, teacher...
c) become self employed with a practical/technical skill that can be exercise anywhere in the world
d) join the UN voluntary program and build from there, aid work in developing or emerging countries
e) nursing - doctor - engineer - technician - welder - chef... or other needed easily exportable skills
f) work for the government fed-muni-state, most (in the western world) pay well, offer great benefits, and have almost endless flexible options for leave. And almost any job in the private sector has an equivalent at government (my choice now).
G) if you only speak English become an ESL teacher and go teach abroad.

Soon enough you will know if you need/want/like to travel lots, long term sojourning is a great way to find out early if vagabonding is for you or not. If it is, it will be with you all your life, if it's not you will have it out of your system and know for sure.

I truly believe the possibilities are endless, and can be applied with or without a partner, kids... it's all about choices and you have the privilege of youth.

If or when you fall in love talk about those things early so you won't have to shout about them later, choose your partner well, listen to your inner voice.

Regrets are the worst....

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #137
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTDUC View Post
Jobs come and go...your adventures will stay with you forever, do some bartending courses..learn enough of a different language to get by in whatever place you are in...you would be surprised how easy it is to get part time work that pays enough to let you stay somewhere and save enough to move on again, especially when you have an outgoing personality and eager worker with a pleasant disposition.....besides, stay a while and get to know the culture and place you are in...stay away from touristy places..everyone goes there and prices are too high, take a bartending course or waitering..especially easy if you are outgoing and friendly, and an accent does wonders for you...if you are relatively handy and not afraid of trying new things you will be surprised how easy work is to find...I left home over 20 years ago on a working holiday and now am about to get back on the travel road at the horrendously old age of 46...not sure what I will do about taking my walking frame with me on the bike...Do yourself a favour and say screw it...sell everything and just get on the road...you won't regret it..
SHAYNE
What if i am a cantankerous young coot who has few friends and likes it that way? How do I make money with that?

Seriously though, I am a tech/design guy trying to get into contract work or freelance but seem to get stuck in fucking full time positions. Anyone have some advice? :/ I really think this is the key to living my life ho wI want to live it... on two wheels... more often than not.

As to the wife thing, I am young. 27. That is young right? Well I got myself a girl who loves to travel. We aren't married but i can see it happening :] She has already seen so much of the world and I have not barely left the east cost of the states. I look forward to a trip to Iceland with her on bikes of our own... only problem is... she is just now starting to learn to ride and I am trying to teach myself off road technique. But we are starting! We are both eager to get out and do shit. Have fun and kick ass. I think the best part is probably when you find yourself an adventurous girl to go with you, the adventurous man.

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 06:23 PM
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #138
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 706
[QUOTE Seriously though, I am a tech/design guy trying to get into contract work or freelance but seem to get stuck in fucking full time positions. Anyone have some advice? :/ I really think this is the key to living my life how I want to live it... on two wheels... more often than not. .[/QUOTE]

Barron, I hire tech/design guys all the time, to the tune of about a buck fifty per year. So.. Grasshopper, you have two choices; make do with what you have today and regret it for many moons to come...or find the inner Barron and become one with many like me and go see what the world has to offer you on your journey. and as Confusion says, (not to be misinterpreted with "Confucius") - "Who the hell knows where a man will end up in twenty years".

Prepare wisely and go.......NOW!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #139
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
[QUOTE Seriously though, I am a tech/design guy trying to get into contract work or freelance but seem to get stuck in fucking full time positions. Anyone have some advice? :/ I really think this is the key to living my life how I want to live it... on two wheels... more often than not. .
Barron, I hire tech/design guys all the time, to the tune of about a buck fifty per year. So.. Grasshopper, you have two choices; make do with what you have today and regret it for many moons to come...or find the inner Barron and become one with many like me and go see what the world has to offer you on your journey. and as Confusion says, (not to be misinterpreted with "Confucius") - "Who the hell knows where a man will end up in twenty years".

Prepare wisely and go.......NOW![/QUOTE]

150 a year??? The most I have ever been payed is a third fo that. That seems outlandish. But hey, if you are doing any hiring, you could always extend me a work invitation
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #140
Backoutonthehighway
I ride w/ Lewddites

Oddometer: 426
Great Thread!

Max,
There are so many great responses on this thread! Thanks for asking the question! I’m really enjoying the stories and perspective. Here’s mine:

At 39 years old, after 16 years of marriage and 20 plus years of 60 hour weeks, I realized that if I didn’t change things, I was going to stay on the treadmill until I couldn’t run anymore and then they were going put me out to pasture with nothing but memories of late nights and weekends at work.

Laid off, I left on a tour with no plan and no time limit. I ended up spending 35 days in the Rockies from Jasper to Phoenix. I wished to God that I had done it sooner. It was a life changing experience that ended up getting written up in Motorcycle Cruiser. (See my website for the ride report.)

I negotiated 4 weeks of vacation as a condition for the next job (partially because I was on the trip and just didn’t give a #!^% if I got the job or not) – enough to get out of town a couple times a year. But I also made a decision that I needed more than that. It took a lot of planning and preparation, but three years later I was able to leave on a four week trip and work from the road.

I now have my own consulting business and I can work when, where, and how often I want. (I enjoy the work a heck of a lot more now that it is for me, btw.) The most difficult part was breaking some of the mental paradigms that were controlling my decision making. A book by Tim Farris helped the most: 4 Hour Work Week.

I couldn’t be happier. I spend 4-6 weeks on long motorcycle trips each year and spend 2-3 weeks overseas and I’m increasing both of those numbers next year.

Buy the book – his story of the attorney who is even more in demand after he put his practice on hold is worth the price. Especially for you.

When you do schedule some time “Out West,” let me know and we’ll plan a ride!
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #141
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,383
It depends ...

... on what you want out of life. I am responding to the OP, I didn't read all the replies.

If you want a wife and kids, you need to let go of any pretence that you have control over things anymore. 50% of marriages end in divorce and kids will cost money for at least 20 years, if you’re lucky. So you can retire at 60 if you plan well…
Or, you decide the life of fridge magnets and minivans isn’t yours.

In that case, work, save your money, build a dividend stream, retire early and kiss the corporate world goodbye as soon as you can.

I took path number 2, and am retiring on Feb 9th next year (at 43). I leave for a 4 year RTW trip, staring with South America and then onwards to Australia etc. I did this once before in 2006 and rode from Europe to Cambodia over the course of 10 months.

Those are the main choices you need to make in my opinion. Once chicks get in the way, shit goes sideways …. Practice serial monogamy and be happy, then travel when the time is right (and the bank full). Shack up with a girl if you really must at 50 who’s a divorced empty-nester (and hence can appreciate your way of life) when you’ve traveled the far corners of the world.

Malindi screwed with this post 12-17-2011 at 11:24 PM
Malindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #142
FKNBUM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Being ugly isn't everything, but it helps

I have had jobs which provided me with 4-8 weeks vacation. I made 2 month long trips during this period.

I have saved and quit my job to take a long (6 week) trip, which I easily could have turned into a 3 month trip.

I have simply told my boss I needed to go for a ride (26 days).

There is no job/career worth postponing life. A few others have noted that the sudden death of a friend/family memeber drove them to reasses their priorities. Keep in mind this could be you.

For me, being homely and skinny has probably granted me more travel opportunities than most. Personally I would rather have been born handsome and wealthy, however, I would be too tied down with, the wife and kids, girlfriends, and stalkers, to enjoy myself.
FKNBUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #143
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNBUM View Post

For me, being homely and skinny has probably granted me more travel opportunities than most. Personally I would rather have been born handsome and wealthy, however, I would be too tied down with, the wife and kids, girlfriends, and stalkers, to enjoy myself.
Heh, I've given this some though since I did my first one year RTW trip (did it as a backpacker). When thinking about the luck involved when stumbling into the means and the will to make these kinds of trips happen, the lack of relationship success is certainly a part. I think humans look for novelty (games), pleasure (in all its forms) and validation from others (all the social creature stuff) in life, and most people look for that and sometimes find it with their sexual relationships. We're certainly taught to look in that direction. It's really, really difficult to give up an established identity for the unknown.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #144
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGS View Post
Heh, I've given this some though since I did my first one year RTW trip (did it as a backpacker). When thinking about the luck involved when stumbling into the means and the will to make these kinds of trips happen, the lack of relationship success is certainly a part. I think humans look for novelty (games), pleasure (in all its forms) and validation from others (all the social creature stuff) in life, and most people look for that and sometimes find it with their sexual relationships. We're certainly taught to look in that direction. It's really, really difficult to give up an established identity for the unknown.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #145
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxF View Post
I'm in my late 20s and feel like I have wasted my "best years" as a corporate slave. That can't be right...
It only feels like that. When you are 50 and still saying the same thing....well, then you have.
Maybe a career change? Life change? Its never too late ya know....it might be the hardest thing you ever did in your life but it might be the best thing.

Ask RTWDoug. He takes trips all the time, all over the world. Others have quit their jobs and just taken off with no destination. Some even end up married! Some people can work from the road.

I have taken 6 one months long vacations since 2001 and went cross country . I saved up, have two weeks a year vacation and asked for two more. I am the #1 driver (been there 22 years) where I am so it is a little easier for me, and there are people to cover for me. Two of the six were on a motorcycle. The best trips so far. (Except for the Alaska/Yukon/Arctic circle trip in my pick up...In December...)

Start small, a week when you can get it and be prepared. A lot can happen in a week.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #146
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I can sympathize with your dilemma. I went through this two years ago when I turned 30. So, I took my first extended solo trip and toured from two months around the southwest. Most of the other motorcyclists I met were close to twice my age and the majority of them expressed, they wish I had done it when they were younger and not waited until they retired (some by choice, some not) when their bodies were not as up for the longer days. At 30, and of the "single with no kids or house or other demanding responsibilities" midst, I set out for adventure. I am lucky enough to have a career that allowed me two months off during the slow season and return to work when it was in full force. But now, two years later, still with that (I don't know if its any longer considered a mindset, but more like my continued circumstances), that wanderlust bug is still biting and I am considering leaving my great job, which I have also worked hard to reach this point, to go explore for a year in farther lands, knowing that if I return to it, the position will not be the same to return to. And I will admit, The thought scares me. But there is not a better time than now, while I have the physical capability, the freedom to wander, and the lust to plan it all out. And that is above all…do it while you have the passion for it. Cause really…where were you last year? Where do you want to be a year from now? I guess it depends on what you're dreaming of…

regarding the wonderful thoughts of LarryLarry….I appreciate the ability you have learned to take things slower. It is something I strive to do, but struggle with because the society we have created (at least the one I live in) does demand a sense of urgency, of constant connection, and that is part of the urgency that I want to escape on my travels. It seems easier to take off and live as a vagabond than it does to figure out how to slow down my daily life. But the one thing I will say about time…one thing the majority of you (luckily, will never have to deal with) is a ticking biological clock that does have an expiration date. Some things are better utilized when younger. That is proving to be a hard act to balance.

Any which way you can manage it…get out there and go for that extended trip. What you find out there may change how you want to live your future.

2003 KLR685 – gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #147
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletron View Post
I can sympathize with your dilemma. I went through this two years ago when I turned 30. So, I took my first extended solo trip and toured from two months around the southwest.

Any which way you can manage it…get out there and go for that extended trip. What you find out there may change how you want to live your future.
Looking at your blog, I can see that you speak from true experience and deliberate personal growth. Not that I question anyone else's story here - not at all. But, it's cool to put a face with advice and see confirmation from someone who has been there.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #148
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletron View Post
(I don't know if its any longer considered a mindset, but more like my continued circumstances)
Hilslamer mentioned your blog, so I took a look too. Love the pictures in the old style. That really gives it an extra bit of punch and makes the "travel" part seem more palpable.

You asked for perspective ... Well, in 1991 I traveled for the first time to Kenya and since then, my mindset has shifted to travel for as much as I could. I'm now 43 and am retiring in 9 days (Feb 9th) to do just that.
I am still like you in some ways. No kids, house or responsibilities. All choices made long ago, probably when I was 18, with a focus to change life and purposely break the mold every 20 years. I lived in Europe till I was 25 (although I am from Montreal), lived in Vancouver from 1993 till I guess this coming April and will then be on the road for 4-5 years. Yes, it's not for everyone, but those who do it never regret it and those who are so inclined and don't, always wonder.

The thing that I found is that no one but you have the answer. You need to do what feels good and not listen to the "advice" you get from elders, parents and your environment. As long as you are happy, live happily in your environment and are kind to those around you, go nuts and travel as much as you want. Taking a year or two off to travel the globe will change your life forever. That much is certain.

Personally, I would never want it any other way.

Here's my new website (still mostly empty) for 2012: http://www.nohorizons.net/2012/
Here's my 2006 website when I rode halfway around the world: http://www.nohorizons.net/
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #149
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Also ...

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the differenc
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #150
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxF
I'm in my late 20s and feel like I have wasted my "best years" as a corporate slave. That can't be right...

It only feels like that. When you are 50 and still saying the same thing....well, then you have.
Agreed. Your supposed to work your ass off and eat ramen noodles through your twenties in order to get where you want to be in your thirties. Otherwise you would be one of the OWS losers.

I do wonder how normal people pull these trips off. I'm lucky enough that, at least in the summer months, I'm "on call" but hardly ever needed. Therefore, as long as I have my phone on me, I can be in Timbuktu and no one cares.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote