Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #151
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
thanks hilslamer...Its always nice to hear people enjoy what I share. Helps me keep with writing. It has been a rough couple years working the chaos of my head out, but worth every moment. There are those times when you realize, as Malindi said...you cant rely advice from those around you...but you can learn to rely on yourself and make things happen.

Malindi...good of you to share that poem. The words of Robert Frost have always stuck with me, (the signs of a true wanderer) as I'm sure it has for many others.

Cheers to the road less traveled...

2003 KLR685 gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #152
kerncountykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Agreed. Your supposed to work your ass off and eat ramen noodles through your twenties in order to get where you want to be in your thirties. Otherwise you would be one of the OWS losers.

I do wonder how normal people pull these trips off. I'm lucky enough that, at least in the summer months, I'm "on call" but hardly ever needed. Therefore, as long as I have my phone on me, I can be in Timbuktu and no one cares.
That seems bigoted and harsh to me. I'm sorry if you see the world as winners and losers. Life can be whatever you want it to be, why would you want it to be the same for everybody?
kerncountykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #153
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 553
Everything in life is a choice or compromise of priorities. Rich or poor, it matters little. We all have different priorities as a result of different choices. Some live to work and some work to live.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #154
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
I make pretty good money as an electrical engineer in silicon valley. But I don't own a house, my car is 11 years old and long since paid off, I don't have a wife or children, I have no debt, and my savings goes towards the travel budget almost exclusively.

If you're making $10 or $15 an hour at your job, you're probably never going to be able to screw off to South America for a year. Between there and people who are for real rich, though, there are many possibilities to make long term travel happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTWHT View Post
Wow.

I always assumed (based on all the recommendations for BMW, Darien, etc) that most "inmates" were rich, but many of the replies on this thread confirmed that beyond a shadow of a doubt. If only it were that easy for all of us, this thread would be unnecessary.

To all of the other 'working stiff' types: thanks for the advice and inspiration you've provided to the OP and lurkers like me.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #155
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxF View Post
Maybe this has been covered before but I couldn't find a comprehensive thread with a quick search...

My BIG question: How the hell do you guys manage to do multi-week or even multi-month (let alone RTW) trips?

Not talking about the financial aspects here but rather how do you get the time off work/ how does it affect your "career" in any way? Do you take vacation time? Do you take "time off work" and pick up where you left once you return? Do you use time between jobs for travel? Without being indiscreet I'd be interested what you do and how you get the time to do those trips

I'm incredibly envious when I read the ride reports. But for me, getting two consecutive weeks vacation time would be a luxury (and even that would include constant pestering via BB). The only possibility I see is quitting my job and starting over at another firm once I return which would be a step back career-wise. It really sucks, I'm in my late 20s and feel like I have wasted my "best years" as a corporate slave. That can't be right...
I posted just above but to be more specific, I thought I would answer directly to the OP.

This summer, I will be starting a ride from Quebec Canada to the PNW, and California via Colorado and Utah. Then returning along the Mexican border and Eastern Seaboard. I have a wife, a house and a job ( for now ) :)

To do this, I will start with 3 weeks of vacation. When that time runs out, I will put the bike and gear into a storage locker, lock it up and fly home from wherever I end up. I can fly for free because I am in the industry but realistically, airfare these days is cheaper than bus fare. When I get a few days off, I will fly back to the bike and continue my journey. I will continue this process until the bike is back at home. The beauty of this is I have no real schedule to keep and I won't have to disappear for several months nor have a brinks truck filled with years of savings to finance it. Kind of a "pay as you go" deal. If it takes me a year to finish the ride, so be it. At least I will have done it and I will always have my next stretch of days off to look forward to.

So no, I don't think you need to rich, just a bit creative depending on your situation.

Pete O Static screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 05:19 AM
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #156
Libertynh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Priorities

Your post caught my attention because I often find myself thinking the same thing about time and finances for journeys inspired by posts on this site.

If I were a rider and had less personal obligations at some stage I hope I would or will have the courage to create a lifestyle that supports more adventure riding.

Living in an area that has lots of good roads helps quell the passion until the next opportunity for a new experience.

In between I will continue to be a vicarious lurker.
Libertynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #157
Morgan Steele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Old thread but the message is timely for me. I often think of how I'm going to manage more time off for longer trips.

I took my first adventure trip at age 40 (three weeks in Africa). Hopefully, I'll be doing more and longer trips well into my 60's.

For years, I didn't take vacations because I worried about losing my advantage. In hindsight, work is always going to be there in some form. The key for me is staying out of debt by not chasing down the latest technogadget or lifestyle upgrade. I've run into many people on the road with less money and less things. They tell great stories about the things they've done and not about the things they've bought. They manage it and I know I can, too.

I don't know the OP's vacation situation. But, looking back at my own work history, I know I could have taken the time off sooner.

The moral of the story is: plan, save, and go do it!
Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #158
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I can agree with the above. I never took vacation because I thought I might miss something at work. After amassing accrued time off the company policy changed to only a certain number maybe rolled over each year. So all of that time got wasted. No more. Also a couple of life changers last year made me realize work isn't who you are only a means to be who you want to be. So that said we are off to South Africa in March. Maybe only for two weeks but it is a start. No kids, two incomes, and no debt make me think the end isn't so far off..
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #159
jbmac
Mitten Man

Oddometer: 125
Great Thread

Tons of great advice on this thread. I'm just starting my career at 28 and wondered the same things at the OP. It really is just priorities. I have a wife, and when she got cancer, that was a priority. As we move into the next chapter of or lifes and put that behind us I can plan trips again. If you do have a significant other its important to be open about the importance of adventures to you. I know its saved me a lot of grief already. For now I get my fixes with a week vacation here and there. If you don't, well you need only look into a mirror and make the decision to go.

My supervisors know that in the future I am going to ask for an unpaid leave so I can take a more significant trip, and lucky for me they are okay with that. In the mean time its about budgeting for the house/wife/kids, but as long as everyone in your life respects your desires there is no reason you can't "have it all".

Life is an adventure of its own, don't lose site of that. We all wish we could be on the bike sometimes, but at least for me I need time with my family too. Just have to find that balance with what makes you happy.

And now I just count the days until its warm enough to ride again up north (as I am too cheap to buy proper gear for winter riding)

Mid-Michigan Tag-o-rama
jbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #160
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 697
Just another Opinion on the subject

Next month I finally will belong to a "not so desirable club", we all eventually are forced to join, that of a senior citizen. The magic 55 is only a few weeks away. Saying that, I must also say; I wished I had made all those world trips I planned over the years. Instead, family and business came first. I even had chances during a ten year stint of being single during the late 80's, and didn't do what pulled at my soul every single day. The vagabond world traveler. The scariest time is only the first few days. I've always known that part, yet I did not go when I wanted to or should have. Now 30 years have gone by, and today those 6-10 day trips I take a half a dozen times a year only wet my appetite for that world adventure on a motorcycle, the excitement of the unknown, the experience of a lifetime. They only make me yearn even more for the open road, or offroad, seeking the next days adventure.

Many posters have written their reasons for doing now what they themselves have never done. The OP's question is a valid one. My opinion; Heed the advice of the many that tell you to go now for fear of never fulfilling that inner desire to be "The World Explorer". What you may experience during your journey will most likely change everything you thought you wanted in life, your career, where you choose to live, who you choose to love. Life will wait, the girl in your life may not, but you may not be happy with her if you do not go.

As I turn 55, I now have the money, still have the capability, and the time. Hopefully I'm going next year, with or without my wife on the back of my GSA. She'll wait for me....I hope.
KTM- 2014 500 EXC, 2009 690 Enduro R E BMW- 2012 GTL 1600-sweet, 2011 R1200GS Adventure Honda- 2000 XR650R- 2006 XR650L- Yamaha- 1972 XS750 Tracker, 1971 RC5- BSA- 1945 M20, 1969 BSA 441 Victor . The list goes on but why bore you... 16 and counting. Its an attachment issue.

Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #161
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
get forced into medical retirement

although I am getting bored of just riding around and waiting for Montana to thaw out
at least you are ridin' around.....I am watching the snow fall as I type!
Im in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And its difficult to analyze love when youre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #162
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Just do it. Do whatever it takes. Quit your job if you can't get the time off. You only live once.

When I was a teen I read Walden by HD Thoreau and connected with it immediately. He said " I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.... I wanted to live deep and suck all the marrow out of life..." I understood then as now that life is short and spending it working a meaningless job would be insane.

My method for motorcycle trips was to quit my job every June and travel until mid September. Spend as little money as possible so I could work as little as possible to earn it.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #163
Zepfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I took 3 months for my 1st adventure to Panama.

My contracting biz was slow and I broke up w/ a GF.

2 years later and work is STILL slow !! And my girlfriend and I are still in conflict too much.

Europe, Middle East and Asia anyone ???

I have a nest egg of decent size. I'm kinda worried about retirement and the like but after a brutal divorce and my daughter in college I'm really open to a very modest lifestyle.

I loved my time on the road in Mex & C.A. and dream of seeing the world.

I really wish my business would get back to where it was though!
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.
Zepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #164
Rooster Cruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Maybe a little late to reply but....

I thought this post was an interesting question and I wondered the same thing until...
I too was a corporate slave since I graduated high school in 1998. I hated it! Definetly felt I missed out on my 20's. I hated it! Made ok money but I saw no way out but to pay off as much stuff as possible and go into buisness for myself. Took me a year of torture to do so! 100+ hours a week for my last year as a company monkey, then I went into buisness with no bills. I have a old house, and older vehicles. I NEVER want payments again! I love my freedom more than that big fancy house or that nice new car! I been in buisness 2 years. Last year I went to the West Indies twice for 2 weeks each, Riding in the great Smokie mountains twice for a week at a time each, and 3 weeks to tour the southwest U.S. This year is 8 weeks to tour the North West U.S and Canada. It takes alot of finacial planning and budgeting to do so, and several weeks/months of ass-busting at work to save b4 a trip, but it's worth it! I hope I never have to be a corporate slave again. The economy is scary, but you only got one chance to live life, you may as well try to enjoy it. I figure if the bottom drops out, atleast I did some cool stuff while it was there. Sacrafice your payments for freedom! It's worth it!!
Rooster Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #165
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSmoke View Post
I'm in my late 20's and one thing I am quickly learning is the more I bounce around job wise, the higher the pay tends to be...go figure. This is usually due to the fact that contract/consulting jobs tend to be fairly short, but I have no issue only working 5 months to get equal pay to someone working a "full-time" job. On the other hand if I was married and had kids I would probably prefer the benefits and security of the "full-time" gig but I also work with guys that have the whole family deal and they still do this type of work.

I'm not sure how much 'data' is behind Witold's numbers in his above post, but I think he is probably on target. I have actually been surprised be the number of people posting on here that seem to be doing this that are in their 20's/30's, I expected it to mainly be retirees or lotto winners.

Not sure what you do in the corporate world but it seems to be a lot more common for people to bounce around from job to job nowadays. My dad had been in his "career" for 8+yrs when he was my age. He's now been there 35+ yrs and climbed his way up the chain to a high level position. He absolutely hates it, wants to retire, but is afraid to with the state of the economy. He is also real worried that he will never get to do the things he wants before it is too late. On the top of his list is a motorcycle trip to AK from FL and back.

I just don't want to be in his position when I am his age, don't want to wish I had done something or not be able to due to family/money, I want to be able to sit back and recant what I did...

Sorry for the long quote.

I am in your boat to a T. My father did the same thing, and has the same thoughts. I'm now in the corporate world, and it's scaring me a bit. My job is not overly difficult, fairly stress free and pays well (I think). It's easy to be attracted to the lifestyle. But buying a brand new truck, or a new fence for the yard or a week away to Orlando ain't an adventure. I can only think of the thousands before us who had the means/health, had the time, had the desire but didn't take that first step. I'm at a real fork in the road with which route I'd go. I'm not really so much looking to circumnavigate the world, but instead I'd rather leave my current job, see the country for a few months on a bike, and come back to work a job I love and am passionate about, for what will probably be much lower pay than I get now.

Anyways, felt the need to ramble that one out, I'm going back to page 3 and will continue to read this thread. So far, it's one of my favorites.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote