Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #196
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,615
weird....I can't get to the next page of this thread....kind of like ground hog day.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #197
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
weird....I can't get to the next page of this thread....kind of like ground hog day.
You are on the next page I also had the same problem
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #198
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
You are on the next page I also had the same problem
I suspect someone posted, which added a page, then they deleted the post and the BBS didn't know what to do so it waited. Makes sense to me but it is 5AM...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #199
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Does this help?

If you aren't capable of teaching yourself then this is not the industry for you. All I was sharing was a particular area of self employment that is quite an effective way for making an income on the road. The complexity of web marketing could not be explained in a 500 page book, let alone one forum post. Also if I did have some sort of 'magic' strategy to success then I would never share it because then everyone would start doing it and there's only so much money in the market to go around.

I think there is an important lesson for you in all of these replies and that's that you need to be inventive and creative of your own accord, not reliant on others - this is the nature of capitalising with success. If you have to rely on others to make your money for you then you will always be the employee and never the employer.
I can't believe how mush s*it attitude wondered into this thread.

Instead of flaming this thread with your great idea that people should "become .01% of web marketers who actually make money", maybe you can spend some time reading excerpts below and hopefully fall back into reality from your high horse, instead of belittling everyone in the pretense of giving advice.

You and the other guy are just trolling the same old catch phases everyone has heard a million times and they are as useless as you can get in terms of meaningful and actionable advice. Two of them are described below:

Quote:
#5. "Hey, I Worked Hard to Get What I Have!"

What They Think They're Saying:

"I'm not Paris Hilton! I work 70-hour weeks to make this salary!"

What We Hear:

"The only reason I have a hundred times more money than you is because I work a hundred times as hard!"

This will be the entry that prompts many a reader to skip right to the comment section after only reading the entry header ("I'm tired of these hippies saying the rich just got lucky and don't work hard!"). So let's get this out off the way right now, and make them look like assholes for not reading far enough:

Most high-income earners do put in a ton of hours. Bill Gates seemed to never sleep (an employee once said that putting in 81 hours in four days still couldn't keep up with Gates' schedule). So yes, it's unfair that we tend to think that "being rich" means "lounging by the pool while an albino tiger massages our feet with his tongue." So, "Hey, I work hard for what I have!" is perfectly true. It's also insulting.

It's insulting for the exact same reason "Hey, I love my country!" is insulting: It implies that the listener doesn't. Otherwise there'd be no reason to say it.

It implies a bizarre alternate reality where society rewards you purely based on how much effort you exert, rather than according to how well your specific talents fit in with the needs of the marketplace in the particular era and part of the world in which you were born. It implies that the great investment banker makes 10 times more than a great nurse only because the banker works 10 times as hard.

He doesn't.

And even stranger, it implies that money earned is a perfect indicator of a person's value to society -- if you're broke, it must mean you're a loser who contributes nothing to anyone's life. And that's downright bizarre when it comes from the same people who also go on and on about the importance of parenting and family values. Surely they've noticed that being a great stay-at-home parent makes you exactly zero dollars a year.

And volunteering to work at a shelter for battered women? Doesn't pay shit! Diving into a creek to save a toddler from drowning? It pays infinitely less than throwing a touchdown pass during the Super Bowl.

So, mister rich person who clearly is not reading this, when we say you're "lucky," we're not saying you're lucky in the way that a lottery winner is lucky. We're saying that you're lucky if you were born in a time and place where the hard work you're good at (say, stock speculation) is valued over the hard work that other people are good at (say, landscaping, or poetry).

You can reply that if some other field paid more, you'd have just simply switched to it and been equally successful, due to your smarts and determination. You know, like how the smart and determined Michael Jordan was equally successful as a basketball player (six titles, $70 million a year) and baseball player (batted .202 in the minors) and team owner (his Charlotte Bobcats are currently 4-28).

Hmm ... wait a second. Man, it's almost like Michael's hard work and determination wouldn't have made him rich if he hadn't happened to have been born in the one place and one time in human history where a man could get rich throwing a rubber ball through a small metal hoop.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I would have ever heard of Shaquille O'Neal if he'd skipped basketball to go right into rap. If you think I'm just being mean to athletes, hell, let me use myself as an example. I failed at three different careers before I struck gold with list articles and dong horror. I suck at everything else -- take away the Internet and I'm a 37-year-old man doing data entry in a cubicle instead of promoting a brand new sequel about boner monsters. Or, if you don't believe me, let billionaire investor Warren Buffett tell you: "If you stick me down in the middle of Bangladesh or Peru or someplace, you find out how much this talent is going to produce in the wrong kind of soil ... I work in a market system that happens to reward what I do very well -- disproportionately well."

So to sum it up: If you make good money, but have to work 80-hour weeks to get it, you're still lucky. Just swallow your pride and fucking acknowledge it.

#4. "If I Can Do It, So Can You!"

What They Think They're Saying:

"This is the land of opportunity, where anyone can make it! Instead of complaining, just go out there and get rich!"

What We Hear:

"If everyone at my country club makes good money, it can't be that hard!"

This is such an impossibly strange idea that I'm not sure if the people saying it actually believe it.

But ... I guess our entire philosophy about money kind of revolves around this premise -- that there is no poor or working class, but only people who have chosen to not buckle down to the task of getting rich (and thus deserve whatever salary, insecurity or poor work conditions they get). So there should be no talk about improving the lives of the non-rich, since any of them can simply choose to elevate themselves out of that group, right?

Seriously, now. How much time do you really have to spend off your goddamned yacht to see that this isn't true? You don't even need to leave the dock -- there's a guy standing right there who you pay to fix your boat's engine. You know that 1) you absolutely need guys like him and 2) he will never get rich doing what he does. He could be great at his job, he might be the Michael Jordan of mechanics, he might work 100 hours a week -- it doesn't matter. Sure, if that one guy somehow also has the head for management and finance and the networking skills, he could maybe open his own chain of yacht repair shops. But they can't all do that.

So "anyone can get rich" isn't just untrue, it's insultingly untrue. You can't have a society where everyone is an investment banker. And you can't have a society where you pay six figures to every good policeman, nurse, firefighter, schoolteacher, carpenter, electrician and all of the other ten thousand professions that civilization needs to survive (and that rich people need in order to stay rich).

It's like setting a jar of moonshine on the floor of a boxcar full of 10 hobos and saying, "Now fight for it!" Sure, in the bloody aftermath you can say to each of the losers, "Hey, you could have had it if you'd fought harder!" and that's true on an individual level. But not collectively -- you knew goddamned well that nine hobos weren't getting any hooch that night. So why are you acting like it's their fault that only one of them is drunk?

You're intentionally conflating "anyone can have the moonshine" with "everyone can have it." And you are doing it because you're hoping that we will all be too busy fighting each other to ask why there was only one jar.

But if we do ask, the response will probably be something like ...

The rest of this article is a funny read as well.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #200
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms View Post
What exactly is your skillset? I have seen remote job listing for almost every skillset at sites like:
http://www.guru.com
http://www.elance.com

This message is not meant to be harsh one. you said that no links/pointers were provided so i have given you some links to get u started and explore possibilities. But no link/person/book will give you the exact answer you seem to be looking for.
Thanks for that post - you've resumed the stream of good places to start that this thread has kept me coming back to for reference and for new content...already logged on to one of those sites now, and there is indeed a major variety of people on there. That's a great set of links and advice, THANKYOU! Your reply hit the nail on the head without apparently trying to make me(us?) feel like we're either never going to be able to get where we want to be or that it's too late and we've missed all the opportunities, OR, implying that if we had to ask we're obviously too stupid to teach ourselves:

Quote:
Does this help?
If you aren't capable of teaching yourself then this is not the industry for you.
...and weren't worth bothering to help with so much as a general proverbial compass heading.

When I said my small things were successful, I knew going into them that they had a minimum of possible expansion and scalability, but they were valuable lessons. I personally haven't found the right circumstance for others that are scalable and also low-maintenance, but I'm looking in places I never thought I would, on account of the generosity of you & many people like yourself.

There is no element of harshness at all there - at least, not that I detect. I didn't think I was ever asking for anything more than the type of replies already on the previous pages to the OP...just a guideline, a place to start, from Motomochila. Only in the end did he stop hiding behind epic tales of the independently wealthy and trendy buzzwords and actually deliver a little bit of insight. That was after he called his experience of making it that far "easy," and then when questioned, expected us to respect the truth that it took him two major personal financial/credit disasters in addition to years of low-yield study and 15-hour days to get to "easy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post

Instead of flaming this thread with your great idea that people should "become .01% of web marketers who actually make money", maybe you can spend some time reading excerpts below and hopefully fall back into reality from your high horse, instead of belittling everyone in the pretense of giving advice.

You and the other guy are just trolling the same old catch phases everyone has heard a million times and they are as useless as you can get in terms of meaningful and actionable advice. Two of them are described below:

THAT is an awesome serving of humble pie for these pious snoots - both your words and the article! I can identify with a lot of the points in there, and it's a delightfully multifaceted and articulate way of relating what I was trying to say before about how skills in high demand at the right time that come easy to some of us and not to others, or not quickly enough. Among a ton of other awesome points...
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #201
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,270
This thread was awesome until this web mareting crap killed it. Can we continue where we left off???
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #202
2uprtw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
This thread was awesome until this web mareting crap killed it. Can we continue where we left off???
Sure we can.

I just realized in that my post (a ways back) did not really asnwer the OP`s question which was:

Quote:
how do you get the time off work/ how does it affect your "career" in any way? Do you take vacation time? Do you take "time off work" and pick up where you left once you return? Do you use time between jobs for travel? Without being indiscreet I'd be interested what you do and how you get the time to do those trips
So let me try again to answer the question. We have tried to time our trips to coincide with when we think our jobs will come to an end. For us, usually 5 years in the same job just about does it. Longer than that and we lose interest. I work retail and my wife has worked in various fields so getting a leave of absence was never possible. For us, we always felt it was easier to just quit our jobs, sell everything, and then start over upon our return.

Was I worried about restarting a career? Hell yes. But the industry I work in (retail) is easy to go into. Even if you've been away for a while. But I would think twice if I were working in the technology sector or some other industry that requires being up to date at all times.

www.2uprtw.com
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #203
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post

Okay if you think that article is so funny then how about you invest a large chunk of your money into advertising a copy of someone else's web marketing strategy and see how far it gets you. In fact it sounds like you should be looking into a 'get rich quick' or 'work from home' opportunity which are nice little bundles of tutorials and software and an included strategy belonging to someone else sold for hundreds of dollars online. Many thousands of people with the 'please show me how' attitude have been suckered into this and turned it into a large viable industry.

If this doesn't work for you then I would suggest that the trick is to learn and study and be able to enter markets that aren't yet discovered, clearly you just 'can't be bothered' and expect other people to do it for you because you would rather spend your time reading useless articles like the one above.

On a side note I do have some direct advice for you if you want to make money on the road. Go to odesk.com or elance.com and spend your time writing 3 x 500 word articles for $5 a pop, or you could even offer remote email assistance for $1.50 an hour to support small businesses outsourcing from the Western World. Feel free to browse the other categories while you are there and see how much opportunity is available when you're competing with English speaking people living in 3rd world countries. Or how about you enter the world of stock photography and earn $1 for every download of only your very best photos taken on a camera worth thousands of dollars.

Alternatively you can try web marketing, it's up to you, either gamble some time in books and learning about it from reliable sources of the web and gain knowledge in the area or you can blindly throw your money at the market. If you work really hard through SEO maybe you will get somewhere without spending anything but PPC is a significantly faster method of reaching customers.

Also I'd like to point out where those points are wrong:

#5. "Hey, I Worked Hard to Get What I Have!"

This should read #5. "Hey, you need to work hard to succeed" because that's all I told you and it's true.

#4. "If I Can Do It, So Can You!"

Actually I believe I'm saying "I did it, but that doesn't mean anyone can". as there's a certain amount of luck involved.

And I don't know what compass pointing you require, perhaps to the amazon page for 'Web marketing for dummies'? No pun intended, there are online guides but you have to be very careful that you're not being fed mis-information.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #204
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
On a side note I do have some direct advice for you if you want to make money on the road. Go to odesk.com or elance.com and spend your time writing 3 x 500 word articles for $5 a pop, or you could even offer remote email assistance for $1.50 an hour to support small businesses outsourcing from the Western World. Feel free to browse the other categories while you are there and see how much opportunity is available when you're competing with English speaking people living in 3rd world countries. Or how about you enter the world of stock photography and earn $1 for every download of only your very best photos taken on a camera worth thousands of dollars.
Those are dead-ringers for making money on the road, at least for me...none of which I've found with web searches and general basic research - usually I have found a lot of commercialization of listing sites but elance.com is really impressive.

I don't know who has more time to waste here, but honestly, it's tidbits like this that are most helpful to me(as well as the OP, based on the original question, IMO...). If you had dropped the condescending attitude and just answered plainly in the meantime, we'd all have been better off for it.

In any case, thanks for the links/pointers!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #205
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
never had much luck with elance. I am in the webdesign and front end development world and have been trying off and on to get into freelance/telecommute work part time. I think I have decided to buckle down this year and really try to bust up my skills into the stratosphere, relaunch my portfolio site, and really push for freelance gigs. If I could make 3/4 of the money I do now, without being tied down, I would be happy. half even.

wish me luck! ha

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 06:42 AM Reason: I am the typo king
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #206
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 788
The Rant of Success.

I guess it's time to offer an explanation to those unaware of the technology one can use today, to travel the world and still make money, unless you are Ewen McGreggor, or rich. My earlier posts suggested to the uninformed reader that I used the web as a web marketer to fund my travels. Not true. I use the web, but I am not a web marketer. I mentioned that I personally knew a fellow traveler, from India I think, who was a "coder". Not my realm of business at all. He wasn't rich, just a very happy motorcyclist. Never did I say that you can make boat loads of money selling on the web, (although I suppose you can), I only said you could make a living, comfortable enough to allow the time to travel. I buy motorcycle parts from a online retailer utilizing ebay. He works from his motorcycle traveling around the world buying old bikes and reselling them from the comfort of, "any damn place he chooses". Is he rich? By the looks of the motorcycles he rides, absolutely not, but he is living his dream and traveling the world as he wants. I also said I spent 20K on technology to allow me to operate from anywhere. I was blasted for that too. ( I was beginning to think nobody likes me here). Never said I had $20K in my pocket. Spent $20k though. I got ridiculed for being a rich bastard. Friends, $20k is less than $200.00 per month in monthly business expenses allowing me to become a virtual manager from anywhere I choose. It's cheaper than my auto insurance...and a whole lot more satisfying payment to make. Kinda like paying for a virtual "e-ticket ride", for those of you who remember e-tickets.

What do I do that allows me to travel for extended amounts of time? I'm a general contractor. Yea, a lowly stinking, nail pounding, dirt digging contractor. Successful, yes! But only through hard work, like many others here, and because I embraced a new tool called "Cloud Computing", I also decided that in order to travel like I want I had to use that technology, (there's that web thingy that got everybody started on dissing each other), to allow me to manage my business from afar. "Cloud Computing", (Oops.. I said it again. damn web shit slips out all the time these days. I love it!), allows me to keep track of every single job and employee, sub or delivery, I have working on the Construction and remodel jobs I sell....from the "web". Luckily due to technology I have become far more efficient and am quite busy. Strangely, I am not even from the computer age. The loudest complainers here are far and above more computer literate than I. Hell, I still type with three fingers. I hadn't a damn clue about cloud computing until last year, but I quickly saw the opportunity to utilize it's technology to allow me to manage my business more efficiently and... change my lifestyle so I can ride more often. I never leave without an i-pad, smart phone, and a satellite phone, in case I'm out of range. A thought occurred to me while writing this; Is it because I embraced the "younger" generation's technology, "the world wide web", and found a way to make money with it, that gives some people a reason to ridicule my successes? Quit whining. It's your damn tool, you built it, go figure it out for yourselves.

Frickin amazing how some here belittle those of us whom have found opportunity through our own dedication and hard work, and not choose to give them a step-by-step, blow-by-blow detailed plan on how they too can have the same dream we have, by the sweat off our backs. I found mine, now take what you garner from this and go find your own niche. It is available for anyone with enough determination. You just gotta want it enough to try enough times to succeed for yourself. How many rockets did America blow up before they made it to the moon? Did we ask the Russians for the plans to Sputnik?

It was not the original posters request of; "show me exactly how to make money so I can do it too! Give me what you have, I'm a crybaby and I want it now:", demand. It was as I interpreted it, How are you [we] able to take the time off and travel? Many gave their version including me. But, because I am successful, to the level I choose, (if you read, I never mentioned a word about how much money I make), and it may not be the level you choose to seek or be, but why am I, or others for that matter whom have reached their level of success, considered the "evil do-gooder's". Because we wont give you our dream?

For those who ridicule here, it actually smacks more of jealousy and cynicism because you have not achieved the successes you desire. If you spent as much time in discovery of new ideas that will catapult you into the realm you desire instead of blaming those who have already achieved, you will be much farther closer to your goals of world travel on the motorcycle of your choice.

Can anyone get rich? No, not everyone, but you're not everyone, so get off you asses and go make something happen. Your are the only one stopping you... Just remember to post pics.

Last note. I joined this forum in 2007 and have posted less than 300 times. most of the complainers have posts in the thousands with far shorter time on the site. Think about when and where you are posting from instead of doing the necessary work to make your dream a reality.

Motomochila screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 04:37 PM
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #207
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Well congratulations on finding a way. I really hope my endeavors to do the same pay off with some success as well. Far be it from me to diss you for swimming where I have thus far been unable to tread water.

I see you have a 2009 690 R Adventure Conversion... I have been sort of lusting after one of these for a while... even considering ditching my ktm 950 for one. Got any opinion on that? Or on your 690 in general vs other bikes you own? (I currently only own my 950)
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #208
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
I see you have a 2009 690 R Adventure Conversion... I have been sort of lusting after one of these for a while... even considering ditching my ktm 950 for one. Got any opinion on that? Or on your 690 in general vs other bikes you own? (I currently only own my 950)
Just as important as it is to plan ahead for how to have enough money, it is equally important to get the right bike. My 690 is perfect for me, (adventure conversion), for local trips less than 2,000 miles, but I would not take her around the world. Some here have with favorable results, just not me. I actually am taking delivery of a new GS 1200 Adventure next week to start longer trips of 90 day, eventually leaving the bike somewhere and flying home to be with my family and check up on my business whilst attempting to go around the world.....my way.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #209
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Frickin amazing how some here belittle those of us whom have found opportunity through our own dedication and hard work, and not choose to give them a step-by-step, blow-by-blow detailed plan on how they too can have the same dream we have, by the sweat off our backs. I found mine, now take what you garner from this and go find your own niche. It is available for anyone with enough determination. You just gotta want it enough to try enough times to succeed for yourself. How many rockets did America blow up before they made it to the moon? Did we ask the Russians for the plans to Sputnik?
I don't recall anyone belittling you...only asking that you stop blabbering about how great your trips are and how much freedom you have and how hard you worked and blah blah blah...and spell out a basic direction.

I'm glad you can only type with three fingers; any more and you'd hit the per-post word limit telling us all about how great, clever, tenacious, brilliant, opportunistic and adventurous you are and how...anyway, while you type slow, the rest of us don't and the ratio of three fingers to ten means we have about five times the posts that you do, over approximately the same time period. So if the math is right, you spend about the same time as we do on here, you just can't compose new threads or reply back as fast and that makes your estimation of the time we spend "...sitting on our asses, pouting..." wrong by the same factor. It took quite a few posts and verbal volleys and prying to get you to even understand the request, and even then you are still bragging outright about how great you are and how hard you worked.

I never asked for step-by-step. I never asked for blow-by-blow. I asked for a compass heading and you spun that into some sort of request for an instruction manual and novel. We get it, though, or at least I do: You have a great work ethic and have made some bad choices, and learned from them, and made subsequently good choices when the next opportunity presented itself. You started a conventional business and then applied some new tools to really expand it and now it pretty much runs itself. Congratulations, really.

Allow me to attempt to summarize the parts of your answers that have actual substance, to my original request:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
If it's so easy, please, inform us of all the details! Instead of bragging about your conquests here, start a thread and tell us all how to make 10-12k(which currency was that?), 2-3x/month differently than the alarming number of emails I get all the time "selling the secrets" to the same thing...

And while you're at it, please, tell us all how easy it is to "write code from our tent as an independent" in another thread...we're all envious, really...
Motomochila could have simply typed: "Ok, I run a contracting business now. I generally run it from anywhere using a cloud computing management strategy, but I started it in a conventional way, digging trenches and swinging hammers like every other GC. I was also in the mortgage industry, and so was my wife, and we lost it all a couple of times making mistakes we learned from. This time around(our ~3rd try), I utilized cloud computing to grow what I already learned to do, so that I use the cloud computing phenomenon to steer a sizeable personel base and subcontractor reference base from afar, and it's worked out great. I took a risk and had custom software made so I can do this from my iPad, and it works well - well enough that I'm able to support my family as well as go for extended trips away and keep nice, new equipment ready for the next one."

Sound about right? It would have taken a lot less effort, and even with only three fingers, not very long to type. My point is this: We didn't need to hear all about the stuff you do in between checking in on your business - you have plenty of ride reports to look at that are good enough and appear to run over long enough intervals of time that you clearly have a lot of time away from work and pretty good funds for fresh equipment and travel. We didn;t need to hear about your new 1200 GS, or any of the other specifics of your stable of bikes. There are lots of other threads for that - you've even started a few.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #210
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
My BIG question: How the hell do you guys manage to do multi-week or even multi-month (let alone RTW) trips?

Not talking about the financial aspects here but rather how do you get the time off work/ how does it affect your "career" in any way? Do you take vacation time? Do you take "time off work" and pick up where you left once you return? Do you use time between jobs for travel? Without being indiscreet I'd be interested what you do and how you get the time to do those trips
================================================== =
Well, I took off for almost 4 years. I got the travel bug in college, and formed up the whole idea in about 30 seconds. I call such experiences a "Eureka" moment.
I graduated college and worked a little over 3 years as an engineer. I lived about as cheaply as I had when I'd been a student. 3 years later, I had over 1 year's gross salary in the bank and a BMW R60 with sidecar. I had a girl friend, but no kids. I quit my job, sold my car, loaded up and drove away for an expected 4 years around the world. This was in 1971, about 6 years after my original "Eureka" moment. I was 27 years old. After 2-1/2 years, I switched to a VW bus. I was gone almost 4 years, a couple of them in Europe and a couple in Africa. I had the cycle through Europe and half way across the Sahara, and the VW from Ethiopia to South Africa.

A few months after I returned home, I was about in the same place career wise where I'd have been if I'd not left, but I had a whole lot more exercise meeting unplanned challenges, and I understood our world much better. I felt that I'd lost nothing, and gained much. The trip was essentially FREE. There was one family that I met traveling in a VW bus that had two babies while on the road, so having kids works also.

My general advice: ignore the advisers afraid of the unknown. Go do it. You can plan well ahead, or figure it out on the way. Both approaches work, as long as you start the engine and put it in gear.

As far as a resume and career, if you go to the top of a mountain to find yourself, that shows doubt. If you go to find the top of the mountain, that shows purpose. If you never go, that shows nothing. A wise boss respects the difference.
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote