Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #286
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
If you're in good health and have some money, it seems like you're in great shape to do it. Moto travel is the same way. Small trips and small experiences slowly build up to bigger trips. We learn about ourselves and what we like in our trips and what we don't like in our trips. Subsequent trips become easier, not harder, even though on paper they might seem more intimidating. I encourage everyone to start progressively instead of jumping into the deep end.
Amen Brother! I'm currently doing Europe solo, with the intention of eventually doing RTW solo. Baby steps.

If I can't hack the "Euro-beat" then the RTW ain't gonna happen. It's a Small jump before the 100 foot Acapulco 100 foot dive; meaning- I'm learning before committing to the big one. If you don't, that last jump could be a butt pucker. Three months putting up with insults about stupid Americans is giving me the training I need to go it solo in far more hostile locales. In fact, just yesterday, July 4th, I sat in a cafe and did absolutely nothing on a regular business day in Rome. The locals didn't care who I was or where I was from. I listened to some smack talk about America and how everyone disliked us. They did however like my motorcycle. I'm learning patience and I'm also learning patience. Everything else is just part of the adventure. Did I mention I'm learning patience?

Motomochila screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 09:26 AM
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #287
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,788
Talking

"long term bike trips... how do you do it? (time / career)"

basically a bump because i think this is an interesting and important topic mainly because its the part thats left out of most ride reports (including my own).

i guess "long term" has a different definition for everyone.
the longest i've been on a bike alone was for a month on a 225cc dirt bike riding off road from california to alabama on the American Flesh Eater Route camping and living out of a 25L daypack.

all of my other trips have been 2 or 3 weeks in length. . so maybe im not "ADV enough" to offer any advice here. so i wont.

from what i gather from ride reports:
the rare cases can go on for years on end traveling around on their motorcycles all over the world. most of them are retired or have sold their businesses, homes, their children have left home, are between jobs, wives have been divorced. some, it seems to me are living off the tax payers in some way (met a few in baja and in cambodia doing this. trash in my opinion). some are trust-ifarians. some say they are doing it for charity some have saved enough money to support themselves for a specific amount of time and ride until they hit the reserve tank then return to work at Home Depot to do it all over again (very common with the "just out of college crowd)... wish i would have thought of that.

there is the "last hurrah " crowd who's wives say: "aww honey you've always wanted to do that motorcycle trip so why dont you do it!? ill send you your money Western Union!" their wives (out of pity ) release them from their chains, pay the lawn maintenance bills for a few months while hubby lives out his Klim Adventure Suit / Touratech-skid plate/ i used a torx bit-in-the-rain fantasy

i've also seen people that are able to travel and work from their computers (programmers, data-base, internet stuff)..also wish i would have thought of that...hmm no never mind. then there are the people who have worked their asses off, hired good people, paid them well and are reaping the benefits of that and are currently enjoying it.

im 32, own a few restaurants, have a son, a good dog and a wife whom i support and that knows how deeply my addictions are seeded. i let her do and go wherever she wants for however long she wants. in return i ask the same and i get it. we live "off the grid", with no debt, on 1020 acres of land covered in single track and hard-enduro trails that i've cut. there really is no reason for me to be gone or Want to be gone for more than a few months.. and she and i both know that. seeing the world is one thing (and a powerful experience); however, freedom is another.

in summery.

ride when you can and follow your heart, if you are truly passionate about something you WILL find a way to make it happen; if you dont then it wasnt that important to you in the first place.

happy 2014 you fuckin fucks.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #288
oneway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
nice. i agree with you. however, in the end the average factors that seem to enable people to take "long term" (I suppose "long term" = 1+ years ?) always seem to be: 1. no children 2. no wife 3. no career 4. a stash of cash and 5. owning a piece of shit KLR

I've taken a number of trips, the majority of them being 2 weeks and 3 of them being over a month and one of them being for 3 months in china.

the title of this thread is "long term bike trips.. HOW do you do it? "

so... what exactly is long term ? personally i do not even remotely desire to be on the road for over 4 months ... i actually enjoy my life

I'd like to sit down, buy you a beer, and tell you about the time I rode my piece of shit KLR to get help for my buddy who dropped his GS (with crash guards) and separated the head 20 miles from nowhere and way off road. I started calling that thing the "French rifle".....the only action it ever saw was when it was dropped.
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #289
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,788

you know when i wrote "piece of shit KLR" i meant that in an XT225 way right?
its not an insult; its a complement.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #290
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 164
Quote:

ride when you can and follow your heart, if you are truly passionate about something you WILL find a way to make it happen; if you dont then it wasnt that important to you in the first place.

happy 2014 you fuckin fucks.

Couldn't agree with you more! Yeah, happy 2014
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #291
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:

basically a bump because i think this is an interesting and important topic mainly because its the part thats left out of most ride reports (including my own).

there is the "last hurrah " crowd who's wives say: "aww honey you've always wanted to do that motorcycle trip so why dont you do it!? ill send you your money Western Union!" their wives (out of pity ) release them from their chains, pay the lawn maintenance bills for a few months while hubby lives out his Klim Adventure Suit / Touratech-skid plate/ i used a torx bit-in-the-rain fantasy

Your generalization sucks.

Speaking only for myself, I don't even have a Tourtech skid plate…

Happy New Year
Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #292
oneway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Wink

Quote:

you know when i wrote "piece of shit KLR" i meant that in an XT225 way right?
its not an insult; its a complement.
In that case, you buy the beer while I tell the story, and I'll throw in one about trailering a K1200LT all the way back from the tip of baja.
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #293
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I have given up on ever doing anything like this. shit I doubt I will ever have the money or time to do the TAT.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #294
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
I have given up on ever doing anything like this. shit I doubt I will ever have the money or time to do the TAT.
Bullshiiiit brother! And again I say bullshit. 35 years ago, I was hanging around with a national ranked drag racer just to learn a few things. I told him I didn't like going straight but would rather road race on, formula one style. He asked me what I was doing about it. I told him nothing because I didn't have the money. He intern told me "bullshit, you don't want it badly enough". In the end he was right, I didn't want enough to do what was needed even though he connected me up with a team I could travel with and start on the bottom as a grunt. I never went, but it taught me to do what I needed if I really wanted to accomplish something.

Bottom line; you want to go, you will find a way ....if you really want it enough. Hell, we are looking for a trail mechanic for our next long term adventure. All expenses paid. Can you wrench?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #295
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post

Bottom line; you want to go, you will find a way ....if you really want it enough.
Amen!
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #296
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,481
Speaking for myself, I had all but given up the idea of a big ride until four years ago. I'm now 64. I can tell you with experience and confidence that a big ride is what you make it. A big ride may take you around the world or it may take you to a neighboring state but if it's a big ride in your mind it doesn't have to be a big ride on your odometer.

As a youth I built and raced drag bikes competitively all the way up to my early 30's. I did this when I could as I worked to support my habit. I raced all sorts of modified bikes (most the cheapest bikes I could find) most notably an old Yamaha Big Bear 350. Which I blew up on the 1/4 mile in front of hundreds of people...ha But, during all that time I rode a Bultaco in the dirt. That's what I truly loved.

As happens with a lot of us I got married, I got divorced, I got married, I got divorced, I got married, I got divorced and I finally got married to the right woman. It's been a wonderful marriage and I have three sons which I am very proud of.

My career was what most would call a "high risk and low reward" it was however, perfect for who I was then. Ultimately it almost killed me (twice) and I was medically retired with severe back and neck injuries, back to back operations on them. The Docs told me I would never ride again. I began to believe it and found myself little believable hope of ever riding seriously again. But I did. But I did it in baby steps. First I worked out with weights a proposition that probably saved me from a wheel chair. My wife is also a very good massage therapist and that doesn't hurt much either. She is also very supportive of my efforts to ride and regain my health.

Then to keep my ride dream alive I purchased a 50 cc scooter. Laugh if you like, but that scooter gave me the confidence that I could ride again. So I bought a bigger scooter, a 150cc. That went well so I upped the ante and bought a Honda Silverwing Scooter. Still good.

About that time I got re-bitten by my previous addiction to dirt. So, I thought why not. So I did. I bought bought a not so dirt worthy Wee Strom and rode it for two years before I decided I needed a dirt tool and bought an XR250L. Fun times. At this point I began having heart issues but all the time I was dreaming of that big trip. The one we all want to take.

To that end I bought and farkled a very capable DRZ and started planning yearly camp and rides. Then my heart decided it was having none of that. I had a really serious issue and had to have a new heart valve put in. My big ride chances seemed as if they were fading into oblivion.

After nearly a year of rehab. I started riding again. It was a big ride with some of the best friends a guy could ask for. We rode into Colorado, Utah and Wyoming on almost all dirt. It was a gnarly ride and a satisfying ride.

Last year we did the Wisconsin Adventure Trail. It was fantastic! Next year Docking Pilots West trip. Epic? To me yes. Long rides? Well define long rides? What is long to me...well, I think 2 weeks is long enough at this stage of my life and since my occupation kept me from seeing our glorious nation, epic rides for me happen right here in our backyard.

The bottom line is my face is in the wind. I can still ride. Riding is what defines me, it's what keeps me healthy and my mind youthful and keeps me a little bit more sane. My friends keep me laughing at myself and them and that for me is a lot of motivation because in my chosen profession I didn't make friends because I moved a LOT.

My advise is don't ever stop wanting that big trip. Don't ever stop planning for it either. Just get out there and make it happen in whatever financial scale or time frame that you have to work with. Just ride, a weekend, a week, a month or whatever you can swing.

Just ride.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 08:01 AM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #297
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
+1 to the above.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #298
Junyah
@ the speed of plaid

Oddometer: 119
Bullshiiiit brother! And again I say bullshit. 35 years ago, I was hanging around with a national ranked drag racer just to learn a few things. I told him I didn't like going straight but would rather road race on, formula one style. He asked me what I was doing about it. I told him nothing because I didn't have the money. He intern told me "bullshit, you don't want it badly enough". In the end he was right, I didn't want enough to do what was needed even though he connected me up with a team I could travel with and start on the bottom as a grunt. I never went, but it taught me to do what I needed if I really wanted to accomplish something.

Bottom line; you want to go, you will find a way ....if you really want it enough. Hell, we are looking for a trail mechanic for our next long term adventure. All expenses paid. Can you wrench?

Where, when and how long? Yes, I can wrench.

Then you don't want to. Most things can be replaced, time, however, cannot. I want to see Mexico, CA and SA so bad I'm quitting my life, selling most of what I have and heading south for as long as money holds up. Then I'll come back and start over. I can't take stuff with me when I leave this rock, and honestly, stuff doesn't make me happy. Of coarse, no wife, no kids etc. etc.

Jr.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #299
cd-g
n00b

Oddometer: 8
This is my first post, so go easy on me...
Im facing a delema in my life right now and it seems the people on this post have some experience with it.

Im in my late 20`s worked very hard to get the carreer i have, it pays very very well, i work 7days on 7days off, able to take approx 21 days a year off which creates 3wk or 5wk windows for adventure. However i have never had any real extended time off and as the orginal post mentioned I feel my opportunities for that will become more limited as i get older.
I have an extended trip south in mind.
My delema is in that i would essentially have to quit my job and roll the dice for the future. With the job I have now there is significant opportunities for shorter trips.

I just think i might be being a bit spoiled and could be giving up oportunities at work to set me up for the future. Its not like im working 6days a week...

Reading this post though gives me confidence that there is still lots of time and that the smaller trip are giving guys just as much fullfillment.

ok , thats it for my rant.
cd-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 AM   #300
dwstrong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd-g View Post
This is my first post, so go easy on me...
Im facing a delema in my life right now and it seems the people on this post have some experience with it.

Im in my late 20`s worked very hard to get the carreer i have, it pays very very well, i work 7days on 7days off, able to take approx 21 days a year off which creates 3wk or 5wk windows for adventure. However i have never had any real extended time off and as the orginal post mentioned I feel my opportunities for that will become more limited as i get older.
I have an extended trip south in mind.
My delema is in that i would essentially have to quit my job and roll the dice for the future. With the job I have now there is significant opportunities for shorter trips.

I just think i might be being a bit spoiled and could be giving up oportunities at work to set me up for the future. Its not like im working 6days a week...

Reading this post though gives me confidence that there is still lots of time and that the smaller trip are giving guys just as much fullfillment.

ok , thats it for my rant.
CD, It sounds like you have a plan for your career, so have a plan for your adventures. That does not mean that the plan will turn out just as you envisioned, but at least you will have a starting point. With the plan comes planning and planning lets you manage both career and adventure. I have riden in three different countries (not all on the same continent) because I packed my sense of adventure when work moved me there. If being a vagabond is more important than your career then follow that path. If your career is important then find a way to leverage it into feeding your adventures in far corners of the planet. Just my $0.015 (adjusted for inflation).
dwstrong is offline   Reply With Quote