Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #61
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
I have yet to do a trip over two weeks in length, but I do a couple of 1-2 week trips a year without issue and have a month-long one in the planning stages.

I find that at this point, I have a pretty great degree of freedom. The reason for this is that I'm only 40 but have been at my current job for over 13 years, meaning that I enjoy 5 weeks of paid vacation time a year and have a boss who knows she can rely on me and is therefore happy to give me as much time off as I want to take (because she knows I won't abuse the privilege). Official company policy is that we can only take two weeks at a time without getting approval from the board of directors, but on the rare occasions that people ask for more time off, it's typically granted; I plan to ride to Alaska and back, hopefully summer of 2012, so will take a month for that, and my boss has already said she'd make it work. Meanwhile, taking two weeks is no problem.

Furthermore, I'm single. I value my independence and have always dealt with my own issues without burdening other people and would prefer the same in return. I have a strong circle of friends to be social with, but I also need a lot of alone time and would probably go nuts if I had to live with someone; thus I have little interest in dating.

So, with a flexible job and no family/relationship obligations, I'm lucky to have a lot of freedom.

I also plan strategically. For example, combine paid time off with a paid holiday to get an extra day or two. My next trip, in May, will be 17 days, but I only have to take ten days off work because I can factor in the Memorial Day holiday and three weekends. Also, I'm willing to use a few of those days to cover a lot of miles through some less-interesting areas in order to be able to spend a little more time in the more-interesting ones.

Truth be told, my biggest obstacle in planning a month-long trip is finding a riding partner with the same freedom I enjoy. As much as I prefer living alone, when it comes to riding I have more fun with a good friend or two along.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014

markbvt screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 09:04 AM
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #62
GR8ADV
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 848
Head towards CA. One can travel and live quite easily and nicely for $40-$50 per day including fuel. You can do it for much less if you want. Go for two months. No career will ever suffer from two months away. Total cost a measly $3000. You will get the best information about how/why/if you should head out for an epic year or two. You will learn a lot about yourself and learn from experience what it means to roam aimlessly with no real purpose but to roam. Some love it, some find it a waste. For you, who knows.

If you can't manage to scrape $3k together, then the whole idea or a trip is really not in the realm of reality.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #63
tomdubz
getting there

Oddometer: 490
Solved

1 word: TEACH
Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #64
GR8ADV
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdubz View Post
1 word: TEACH
I heard there were three reasons to become a teacher. June, July and August.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #65
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
a friend of mine has a union job as an electrician at the local plant/factory. he says there are lots of guys who get up to 3 months paid time off for disability with a note from dr. summeroff.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #66
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909KLRrider View Post
I take my adventures how ever whne ever I can. Living on SOCAL with the prettymuch understanding Wife and kids in Jr and High school. My adventures are short trips day rides, weekends, or 3-4 day trips. My longest adventure has beem 1100 miles in 3 days. Fontana Ca to St George Utah to see friends.
343 miles door to door each way. the rest was all local in southern Utah. Just get out and ride. your edventure is what you make if it. I have family obligations like so many others on this world forum. It is a balance in life. IMHO, in your shoes I would look at whne the present job ran out, take a trip. get back to work after ??? weeks. repeat as necessary. You are young and have to answer only to yourself at this point. It makes it easy. When you find your self in a relationship do not let it take control of your life. It is balanceI . My 16yo sons is in puppy love and tells his chick " If your happy I am happy "/ I told him he needs to be his own person and identity. SO do what ever you can for yourself. while you can. go for it. Post your adventure so we can go along with you. I love reading all the trip posts. It gives me ideas and keeps me going every time I read it. I have another reason to go and work every day- to provice for my family and save for my next ADV. Ride on
I agree! I have a old jeep for the time's i want to take a trip. But just can't... Allway's good fun and i'm pleased to be home after a day on the backroads... Or even drive it to work & back... Big ass smile on the road

But still every year i take a 3 day off. Well planned. Cheap budget...
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #67
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I've done a few month to 6-week long bike trips. All have been between obligations - mostly between semesters. In law school I'd usually get done with spring semester in mid May, work from then till late july and have the last week of July and all of August to my self before classes started again in september.

Last summer worked out the same, only rather than a summer job I was taking an exam - that was over at the end of July and I didn't start work till October so 2 months with nothing to do. Easily solved with an old pickup truck and XR - pointed the truck west, ran Vegas to Reno, rode around baja, then hit colorado for a couple of weeks on my way home.

Now that I'm all graduated we'll see. I officially get as much vacation as I want as long as I bill the requisite hours and my clients don't suffer. Doubt I'll be leaving for more than a week or two this year.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 11:38 AM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #68
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
ask for a a leave of absense, if you are a good employee they will be happy to give it to and happier when you return...if your company can't or won't do that then you need to find a company that will

or just quit and do it and deal with the consequences later

one thing i can guarentee you is the job you have now i doubt you will have in 10/15/20 years down the road and at that point you will be sitting saying what if?????

i'm leaving in a few weeks to do it again, see the link below and it will show you its not the first time. i have a new job when i return planned already, only took it with one condition i start when i want, but thats unique i know

money and career isn't everything, you only get one shot at this thing called life IMHO
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #69
snay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Month long trip

A month long trip may not be that difficult to make it.

Ofcourse thats assuming that you get about 15 days vac each year, you can straddle your vacation across the anniversary date and if you add weekends, you can do more.

I am planning a 20 day trip in 2012 and i have already talked to my boss about taking about a month off in the summer. Keeping him in the loop may ease things.

my 2 cents worth...
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #70
CamoGreg
Can you see me?

Oddometer: 4,188
Good thread and I hear this often while on the road...especially in the midwest.

Lots of good responses here and I'll toss in my.02

The post of percentage looks pretty accurate to me also.

My experience has been mostly just lucky. I think if you keep what you want to do with your life at the forefront, things will happen to help you get there.
Call it the power of positive thinking, destiny, remote viewing...whatever.

Problem was, for me, I didn't really know what I wanted to do in my 20's.

I wanted to be a success...respected. The home, the fam, the house, the cars and the bikes. That's a pretty tall order.

I managed to get into a decent career. And for the most part, achieved all those things mentioned.
Trouble is, it costs your time to get and maintain those things. Not as much to maintain later, but certainly at the beginning.

At some point, we can decide to change what's important to us.
I've been lucky to be able to shift gears and move my life in a different direction.

I tried the self-employed thing. Although rewarding, it was a huge ball and chain. I lived for the business and barely took any vacation time in that 14 year stretch.

I took a job with a company when I was 46. More vacation time then I could imagine. 4 weeks to start, I have 5 weeks now. I wouldn't have been able to land that job in my 20's or 30's.

Beside that, I get 2 weeks of holiday time. I'm able to work out a deal to work holidays and apply the time off to big trips. Comp time (or flex time as they call it here) adds a little more.

I make a good living and it affords me some decent bikes and time and money to travel.

I've been able to travel often in the last 5 years. It has been truly wonderful.
I'm off the month of June this year for a trip to eat Maine lobster and planning on 1/2 December and 1/2 Jan to tour NZ.

Attending the ADV rallies, it' rare to see young men in their 20's. Most of us have had some time to figure out what's important in our life and establish a means to that end.

Keep your eye on the prize and I'm certain you'll find a way to get there as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #71
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGreg View Post
I took a job with a company when I was 46. More vacation time then I could imagine. 4 weeks to start, I have 5 weeks now. I wouldn't have been able to land that job in my 20's or 30's.

Beside that, I get 2 weeks of holiday time. I'm able to work out a deal to work holidays and apply the time off to big trips. Comp time (or flex time as they call it here) adds a little more.

I make a good living and it affords me some decent bikes and time and money to travel.

I've been able to travel often in the last 5 years. It has been truly wonderful.
I'm off the month of June this year for a trip to eat Maine lobster and planning on 1/2 December and 1/2 Jan to tour NZ.

Attending the ADV rallies, it' rare to see young men in their 20's. Most of us have had some time to figure out what's important in our life and establish a means to that end.

Keep your eye on the prize and I'm certain you'll find a way to get there as well.
This sounds like it worked out well! Mind if I ask what profession you're in? I'm wrestling in that detail right now - after so many years, how do I negotiate more vac time?! Worked several jobs, 4-6 years, (some my doing, some not), jsut shy of kicking me up in vac time.
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #72
CamoGreg
Can you see me?

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwneo View Post
This sounds like it worked out well! Mind if I ask what profession you're in? I'm wrestling in that detail right now - after so many years, how do I negotiate more vac time?! Worked several jobs, 4-6 years, (some my doing, some not), jsut shy of kicking me up in vac time.
I'm a Tool and Die Maker. Machinist is the easiest description. Specializing in 3 & 4 axis CNC programming and design.

Like I said, I was fortunate. At a time when the manufacturing skilled trades are tough, this company was looking for almost exactly my qualifications.
I've been at this CNC programming thing nearly from the beginning. It's considered "state of the art" by my new place and they wanted someone with a long and varied background.

They were nearly falling all over themselves with apologies for some things they couldn't offer. The old company pension was not offered to new hires and they didn't pay moving expenses.

I'd listed my other interests as travel...leaving the motorcycle part out.
I was in a bit of a daze: "how much vacation time, again?" They'd already mentioned flex time and then offered the ability to move my holiday pay to where I'd like. I can work the holidays or even take them off without pay.

I'd like to say it was all due to my keen negotiating skills. But it wasn't.
I was lucky. I'd been doing what I do for a long time and I'm good at it.
It just so happened I was exactly what they wanted.

The bonus side is: I enjoy the job and people. I get to spend about 1/2 my time programming and 1/2 getting my hands dirty.

I log about 20-25K miles per year and I don't commute. My coworkers think I'm nuts....If they only knew
Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #73
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGreg View Post
I'm a Tool and Die Maker. Machinist is the easiest description. Specializing in 3 & 4 axis CNC programming and design.

Like I said, I was fortunate. At a time when the manufacturing skilled trades are tough, this company was looking for almost exactly my qualifications.
I've been at this CNC programming thing nearly from the beginning. It's considered "state of the art" by my new place and they wanted someone with a long and varied background.

They were nearly falling all over themselves with apologies for some things they couldn't offer. The old company pension was not offered to new hires and they didn't pay moving expenses.

I'd listed my other interests as travel...leaving the motorcycle part out.
I was in a bit of a daze: "how much vacation time, again?" They'd already mentioned flex time and then offered the ability to move my holiday pay to where I'd like. I can work the holidays or even take them off without pay.

I'd like to say it was all due to my keen negotiating skills. But it wasn't.
I was lucky. I'd been doing what I do for a long time and I'm good at it.
It just so happened I was exactly what they wanted.

The bonus side is: I enjoy the job and people. I get to spend about 1/2 my time programming and 1/2 getting my hands dirty.

I log about 20-25K miles per year and I don't commute. My coworkers think I'm nuts....If they only knew
Wow CG, we have a lot in common.

I started as a machinist right out of HS (even my Sr year) as a manual machinist in the tool and gage world. Did that for about 8 yrs, then spent the next 6 in CNC programming - a mix of turning/milling, but probably 70% 2/3 and multi axis/multi spindle turning. Then spent a total of about 5 in two jobs as a "process" engineer - so still in the shop, but not as much programming content. Since then I've been a manufacturing engineer. No programming, no shop time (or limited amounts), more helping launch and design of new products. More political BS, red tape, corporate culture, paperwork...etc.

I think I took a wrong turn about 10yrs ago, because I feel (and have posted on this site in the same regards on other threads) like I got too far away from my roots.. I'm not sure I can really express, why things happened the way they did 10 years ago, but I was anxious for a move west, change of scenery, and the job was secondary. I think combining the "wrong turn" and the need for more travel fuels this quest for more time off!

I now tend to satisfy the "shop rat" in me with my other hobby of blacksmithing/metal fab. One side of the garage is for bikes/toys - the other is where all the dangerous gases and scrap metal reside!

Good on you for finding the situation that works for you - I'll be turning 49 next month and need to do the same! Did you say your company is hiring?

Mike
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #74
Speeder54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
What a great tread. I'm 29, about to finish college and find myself wondering some of the same questions as the OP. I appreciate everyones input. I'm learning heaps.
Speeder54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #75
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder54 View Post
What a great tread. I'm 29, about to finish college and find myself wondering some of the same questions as the OP. I appreciate everyones input. I'm learning heaps.

Keep going to skool and work on that speeling.

Missoula, huh? I did a few laps around the college there on my Husky one September just to look at those Montana hawties.

My advice on this whole thing? Take a job you hate for too much money and then you don't feel bad at all about taking large chunks of time off.

I dislocated a knee about seven years ago. As I tumbled backwards down a rock face I was surprised at what flashed through my mind...it was all the things I hadn't done yet. I never would have predicted that reaction in a moment where I wasn't sure if I'd be dead within seconds.

Since then I have ridden 120,000 miles around the western USA, mostly on dirt. I did the stuff that had flashed through my mind that day.

Life is extremely short, now is the future.