Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #121
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Didn't quite do the long term...did the long ride though-4200 miles. 14 days, Rockies stem to stern by way of Cali, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and then south, back to LA again, but this was the fifth ride this year running every back road I can find in nine day stints. Doing the Nation now two weeks at a time. Just bough another bike to ship to Atlanta next week, so I can start heading south for the winter months and back up the eastern seaboard as the weather turns, then down to texas for next fall- 2012. I now store my bikes in PODS, that storage company, close to regional airports. I fly in, ride for 7-8 days and leave from another airport. It allows me to eliminate the long ride back on the interstates from where ever I end up. I never know where I end up except near a mid size city with a flight to LA.

It may not suit many of you but at least it allows me to feed the drug addiction of open roads and back country lanes. Looking next year to do the same in S.A. with 21 day stints starting in Texas and heading south to Argentina. Bottom line; doing it the only way I can keep life, business, family and wife happy. Anyone interesting in joining, PM me and start packing for warm winter weather in the Keys the 1st week in December.
The first time I heard of this "format" was here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344776
...which referred to here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299402
...but obviously, they were just one of the early ones to document it that I ran across and many people have been doing this for a long time. Thanks for sharing!
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #122
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 750
[QUOTE=...but obviously, they were just one of the early ones to document it that I ran across and many people have been doing this for a long time. Thanks for sharing![/QUOTE]

You mean to tell me, I'm not the original "out of the box thinker" I claim to be? Damn!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #123
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,074
You'll have that.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #124
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Thoughts from an old guy - it's all about balance

Well people I managed to read the first few pages of this thread and although I intend to read it all now is just not the right time. Another thread "Is Mexico Safe" has set the hook in me and with over 5000 posts I have a ways to go, I'm planning a trip down there and it's part of my "research". Hola!

I'm not sure (since I haven't read everything) what I'm about to say will be totally redundant or not but here goes. I'm fucking 71. Given the comments made by a lot of posters most of you feel that's damn near dead or as close to it as one might get without it actually happening. Jesus what a bunch of negative thinking, do you really feel you're life is over once you get past 55? For a lot of you it sure as hell sounds like it, and what a shame. Granted you probably know your own self-imposed limits (A man's got to know his own limits - Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry) and if you're willing to accept those then so be it.

OTOH and this is important, if you take reasonable care of yourselves and do a minimum of planning you can live the lifestyle you dreamed about. Within reason. What that means is life for most of us has a lot to do with balancing what your needs are along with your partner's. If you have one that is.

I've read a lot of posts on this and other threads about how much you hate your jobs. Or how limiting they are with regards to the amount of time off you're entitled to. That's some of the saddest reading I've ever seen. If you truly hate what you're doing then you need to rethink your life and where you're going with it. Have the courage to make the changes that will enable you to begin living the way you need to live, not how someone else dictates. If you have kids and a spouse you need to open up a dialog that will embrace everyone's needs and develop a life plan that addresses those needs. Don't settle for whatever you're doing now if it's making you miserable but don't be greedy and just think of yourself. Believe me there are ways to satisfy everyone's needs, you only have to listen and make everyone understand they're part of the plan and you respect their needs the same as your's.

This business about riding around the planet on a motorcycle is one of the most fantasized dreams there is; it's exotic, sort of dangerous (not really), full filling (?), romantic (??), and just plain fun. That last part is true, at least for me and I think a lot of others. The thing is, if you're a young person in your 20's and you decide the vagabond life is for you and you take off on your "adventure" bike complete with skidplate and all that other rubbish and wander the planet for a few years living off your bartending skills good for you. Better to do that then spend your life quietly keeping books for some asshole who pays you a miserable wage and yells at you.

Still there is more to life than riding around on a bike; there's the notion of having a family and friends and participating in all the wonderful chapters that will bring you if you only let it happen. Then when you've reached the point of your life you feel you've contributed all that you can to that cause you should start thinking about the next chapter, riding around the planet yadda yadda yadda... The thing is, there's a lot of things in this life that will bring fulfillment besides riding bikes, you only have to embrace what comes and rejoice in it. If you fear your life will be meaningless if you marry, settle down, and raise a couple of kids think again, it ain't all that bad. Just don't put up with that idiot who yells at you and take care of yourself, it will pay dividends and if you make friends with your partner your time will come. And don't ever, ever, let some stupid asshole tell you 70 is old!

See you in Mexico? Hola!

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #125
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,883
Everybody has their own way of doing stuff.
I left Ireland 13 years ago with nothing only a dream of seeing the world.
The first 3 years were basically spend travelling from country to country and getting work where I could get it.

The best education you will ever get that gives you the means to travel is travel itself. There you will find what you are capable of. Running off to college and leaving with a degree and a college loan is basically a way of trapping you in employment and the 2.2kids/white picket fence/soccer mom car and the rest.

I have met truckers in Alaska that take 4/5 months off every year, cotton pickers in Australia, wheat harvesters in the midwest, farmers from Canada, all kinds of people, that can take the time.

Get out there and get a job thats seasonal, planting crops in an air conditioned John Deere, work long hours, live in a trailer on the farm, learn to drive a truck, learn to fix shit. All this stuff you do will strengthen you character for the future and open your mind.

People with money dont travel on motorcycles because they are too busy making money. The ones that do have motorcycles enjoy pampering them and thats all good too, to each his own.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #126
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 750
Larrylarry, you must be on extra doses of something stronger than caffeine.

Rants and raves on these here pages are more about convincing one's self on what we would like to do- kinda like looking into the mirror for a pep talk. Would everyone who reads ADV rider daily wish to go round the world on their mighty scoot? absolutely! But in reality few will even consider it beyond these pages. They can however live vicariously through those of us who actually attempt..and I mean attempt it. Just because one plans and sets off on the epic journey does not mean one will actually complete the journey.

I for one have found my fix for the time being, albeit three weeks at a time- riding ,flying home, and back again to another stored bike, only to ride again. Is it the fix for all? Nope. The bikes? Does it matter, if you are riding and doing what you want? I happen to be lucky and have some great rides to hop on where I store bikes; BMW GS 1200 in Atlanta, KTM 690 and BMW R1200RT at home, XR650L in Idaho, and I'm shipping an XR650R to somewhere once I get it finished. Plan to buy a bike in Europe next year and ride it for six weeks then sell it...or store it. Probably a 650 BMW or a 650R Honda with the; damn you friggin lucky Euro's-"an e-button option". Depends on the shipping cost to get her to somewhere I would go often to explore.

Bottom line here; write about your dream... often, but not so often that you don't spend the time working toward your dream of making that epic journey. and when you make the trip, no matter how short or if it is not as exotic as someone else. Who cares, you enjoyed it, and that is all that matters. Just ride until you can't.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #127
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

[QUOTE=Motomochila;17313106]Larrylarry, you must be on extra doses of something stronger than caffeine. QUOTE]

Hey man, if I said something that pissed you off I'm sorry, nothing could be further from my mind. If you're thinking I need guidance to somehow come to terms with your reality I politely decline, I'm OK with who and what I am.

The point of my posting was to express my take on what seems to be an unrealistic perception for some of what life on the road can bring and how it needs to be experienced before growing "old". If you haven't noticed there is a notable level of concern as stated by a fair number of posters regarding the need to hurry up and get into the life style of world traveler before it's too late. I don't happen to agree with that; instead it's my opinion that it's never too late to live however you wish and to think otherwise seems counter productive to a fulfilling life experience.

Go back to the beginning of this thread and take note of how many express a sense of urgency to get on with their quest; it's sad that so many seem to feel a quality life is directly related to a youthful age. Do you feel that way? My comments were meant to encourage riders of all ages to participate at whatever level they can and age be damned. If you have an issue with that so be it.

LL75
Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #128
kerncountykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Don't get married. Don't have kids. Don't carry a balance on your credit card. Eat a lot of rice, chicken, fish and fruits & vegetables. If you do all that and live frugally you can get away with not having a full time job. Or any job at all really. I do a lot of work from the labor/crew/event section in the classifieds on Craigslist. I also play music in bars about once a month. Keep an eye out for things you can sell on eBay at the thrift store. Have sex with old ladies for money. Ok that one's a joke. Not for lack of trying though

That's how I do it.
kerncountykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #129
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I think it was well said larrylarry... made some good points.
aviatorbdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #130
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorbdm View Post
Thanks.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #131
colomtnbiker
wimpy old guy

Oddometer: 459
Good God LarryLarry you are old but being cranky and ornery is what makes the heart tick. I'm only 61, my wife is 59 and we are heading to Mexico/Central America in January for a 3 month stint. She rides her own. This will be our second 3 month adventure and our last together south of the border. After our last trip 4 years ago, (with a guy who turned 70 on the trip) she said she would do it one more time, so off we go before she's 60. How the hell do we do it? Hook or crook, smoke and mirrors. It takes some planning, changing one's lifestyle to save money and then.....Just Do It!. I'm a carpenter/builder. The first trip I was in the middle of a $800K remodel. My client had known for 6 months before I started the job I was leaving. I thought I had all my subcontractors lined out and ready to go and I'd only hear good things while I was on the road. Didn't work out that way and in Guatemala I was getting emails that stressed me out. Oh well, when I got back it took some months to get things smoothed out but we are are happy again. This next trip, my clients are being patient and I won't be leaving work in the middle of a job and I have work the day I'm ready to come back to work.
We have no kids at home now and they have all traveled the world by either working for Red Bull, the U.S. Navy or on their own. So our kids are behind us traveling. Now, our friends, that's another story, they think we are nuts.
So for LarryLarry, hopefully we don't have an option of getting old but we do have the option of acting old.
Everyone follow your dreams and have fun.
colomtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #132
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by colomtnbiker View Post
Good God LarryLarry you are old but being cranky and ornery is what makes the heart tick. I'm only 61, my wife is 59 and we are heading to Mexico/Central America in January for a 3 month stint. She rides her own. This will be our second 3 month adventure and our last together south of the border. After our last trip 4 years ago, (with a guy who turned 70 on the trip) she said she would do it one more time, so off we go before she's 60. How the hell do we do it? Hook or crook, smoke and mirrors. It takes some planning, changing one's lifestyle to save money and then.....Just Do It!. I'm a carpenter/builder. The first trip I was in the middle of a $800K remodel. My client had known for 6 months before I started the job I was leaving. I thought I had all my subcontractors lined out and ready to go and I'd only hear good things while I was on the road. Didn't work out that way and in Guatemala I was getting emails that stressed me out. Oh well, when I got back it took some months to get things smoothed out but we are are happy again. This next trip, my clients are being patient and I won't be leaving work in the middle of a job and I have work the day I'm ready to come back to work.
We have no kids at home now and they have all traveled the world by either working for Red Bull, the U.S. Navy or on their own. So our kids are behind us traveling. Now, our friends, that's another story, they think we are nuts.
So for LarryLarry, hopefully we don't have an option of getting old but we do have the option of acting old.
Everyone follow your dreams and have fun.
You're lucky that your wife enjoyed the ride south enough to want to return, my gal is afraid of riding - she's had friends get killed on bikes and it's nearly impossible for her to relax on one - but at least I have her blessing to continue with my wanderings. Once you retire it's a lot easier finding time for extended rides and it sounds like that's what you'll be doing. Since your wife says this will be her last ride south of the border may I suggest heading north? Presuming you may not have already done so the country in and around Alaska is absolutely gorgeous and one of the best rides you're ever bound to do.

You're a contractor, eh? Hmm... I just finished having a small building remodeled - seismic upgrades, etc. - and what was scheduled to be a 2-month project turned into nearly 6 months. During the last two months I thought I was going to go crazy it was so frustrating. Maybe that's why I'm cranky. Maybe a long, long tour will cleanse my soul again. Maybe.

LL75
Old 11-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #133
MaxF OP
Zee German

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorbdm View Post
True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
I've read a lot of posts on this and other threads about how much you hate your jobs. Or how limiting they are with regards to the amount of time off you're entitled to. That's some of the saddest reading I've ever seen. If you truly hate what you're doing then you need to rethink your life and where you're going with it. Have the courage to make the changes that will enable you to begin living the way you need to live, not how someone else dictates.
This in particular, I think, is a very good point! This thread wasn't intended to be about completely dropping out or living the "vagabond lifestyle". It was about finding a balance of having a fair amount of adventure and "stability". This of course requires to make certain decision/adjustments to your lifestyle... alas, it is very hard and I have yet to accomplish what Larry describes.
MaxF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #134
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
I've been pondering this for a few years now. I don't think it's really a big secret. To travel you need money without working. You either need to save it, win the lottery/inherit it, or have a form of residual income. I'm taking the saving and building residual income route.

My wife and I both want to travel as missionaries. Our plan while i'm finishing college is to pay off every dime of debt we have, save a chunk, and go. All the while i'm building a business that pays me every month no matter where I am and what i'm doing (web design and software). We'll also likely have support from donations from friends and family for our mission work. We'll live on less than we make, and have savings as a backup.

If we could do it over, we both probably would have skipped going to college.

Our families have lived here in the Charlotte, NC area for multiple generations and pretty much think we're crazy for wanting to even leave the Carolinas. Many of our friends/family/acquaintances seem like they're totally unaware of the world out there, and totally content with their comfortable, albeit boring lifestyles. Thankfully we took the opportunity to go to Nicaragua in 2007 right after high school. We got the bug. I fear we would have never know what we were missing out on if we hadn't gone. We've been back 6 or 7 times and I took a 10,000 mile motorcycle trip last summer.

We've both been able to agree that we don't want to be 50...60...70 years old and wishing we'd done this when we were young.

The idea of teaching and having summers off to adventure is a good one. Not long-term freedom but an awesome opportunity to have a steady job and still travel.

Bottom line is I think you have to be willing to compromise and live a simple life. Not many people can pull it off because they lack the ability to live on less. Most people spend 125% of their income (not just all they make, but more than they make by going in to debt). We currently live on about 50%. That may sound impossible, but it boils down to what you are willing to sacrifice.

It's really hard to do this when you're brought up in a world that tells you to grow up, go to college, get a job with benefits, retire, and die. That just doesn't float my boat.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #135
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Saved, quit job on Oct 5th this year, am now traveling for 18 months, been on the road now for a month and a half. I think the OP needs to look at their fear of going backwards in their career. I don't think it would be that big a deal. My boss actually said that he would give me another 10k per annum to stay. I refused and he said there would be a job for me when I get back if I want it. Yeah, and I will get another 10k too now I know his actual bottom line.

Point is, you want to see the world, have to make some sacrifices.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote