User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Gryphon12 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
955i Daytona as SPORT-Tourer vs. ST4s?

Can anyone comment on where the 955i Daytona falls on the "sport" vs. "sport-touring" spectrum? I know that Triumph claimed they never intended to go head-to-head with one-liter sport bikes, and some called it a "gentlemen's sport bike", but where do you think it falls in the continuum?

Here is my dilemma - The '05 Ducati ST4s provides my SPORT-Touring basline, and for my situation:
an '05 Ducati ST4s is relatively expensive to buy and cheap to insure;
an '03 CBR954RR is relatively cheap to buy and expensive to insure; and
an '05 955i is relatively cheap to buy and moderate to insure.

The power, engine, and wet weight of the 955i are closer to the CBR954RR, but the chassis seems to be mid-way between the 954 and the ST4s. I love the ST4s conceptually, but it is heavier and more expensive to buy and maintain. [The '05 ST4s is the only ST Ducati with the unique combination of the "new" fairing / lights / instruments, a wet clutch, and OPEN LOOP fuel injection.]

So, with converti-bars and a [Sergeant?] saddle, is the 955i still too much sport bike for SPORT-touring as defined by the ST4s performance envelope?

All opinions welcome.
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,344
In my opinion it kinda depends on your height and size. Personally I ride a Sprint ST1050. With a little suspension work it will hang with any bike on your list.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
zam70
ROGUE

Oddometer: 121
Bluhduh

I think so.
I'm 5' 11" and had an 04 Daytona 955i (one of my favorites!)
here's my take:

-You'll definitly have to do the bars (look at an LSL kit as well...)
-The foot pegs location is fine IMO
-The seat is fine (with the stock foot peg location)
-Wind control is good depending on your preference (i like some wind)
-The engine, chassis is excellent - suspension is full adjustable as well
-NO 2 up
-Luggage is limited (I used a Gears Explorer bag - worked great) but available if you are creative and think outside the box.

I've thoought many times about buying another and turning it into my ultimate tourer.
They're a steal too...best bike for the $$$ IMO
Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
hoax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
IMHO the Daytona is a bit of an odd duck.

Too slow to compete against the sportbikes.
Too bland to be an exotic or cult bike.
Too uncomfortable to be a daily ride.

It sucks to say it, but it was a swing and a miss from Triumph. A stop gap bike while they diverted resources to other projects.

To answer your question, the Daytona is very sporty and not well suited for sport touring. With aftermarket changes to the riding position I guess any sportbike could be adjusted to be acceptable as a sport touring mount. I'd just wonder why bother when you could just buy the better looking and already setup for sport touring Triumph Sprint ST.
hoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
I love the daytona 955i.
Riding that bike is what prompted me to get the tiger1050.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could find a nice one.

I think it's a fantastic looking bike as well.
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12
[The '05 ST4s is the only ST Ducati with the unique combination of the "new" fairing / lights / instruments, a wet clutch, and OPEN LOOP fuel injection.]
More than a few Ducatisti would say the 04 is the ONE because of its dry clutch, + new body style etc. Part of the Duke experience is that unique dry clutch music, much the same way a good number of the VFR crowd prefer the pre-vtec gear driven cam noise. Just sayin.

GuinnesS screwed with this post 05-20-2010 at 04:22 PM
GuinnesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #7
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
You can easily sport-tour on a 955 Daytona but it sure aint going to be anywhere near as comforatble as the Duc.

I've done numerous 600-1000km days on my 2002 Daytona.

Luggage - tank bag, Triumph soft panniers, Ventura rack

Comfort - I've fitted a ABM comfort kit. Seat with a sheepskin is OK

Bland? - I disagree - the rattles, rasps and howl from the Akrapovic carbon muffler. Brilliant!

Too slow - it's way faster than me and keeps up until road speeds get silly.

But for all that, if you want a sports-tourer I'd be looking at a Sprint or late Tiger.
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
catzass
Triple Pilot

Oddometer: 386
Can you tour on a Daytona? Yes.

Is it comfortable? Depends on your definition of comfort.

I added some hooks to tie my luggage to, but other wise my bike is stock.

My biggest day so far is 500 miles. I still have the clipons, I have to remember to use my back and keep my weight off of my wrist. My Throttlemeister helps. But I go 2or 3 hundred mile days no problem

If you want to be a little unique, it fits the bill.

Its way faster than me.

catzass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
I always loved the styling on the pre-2002 D955i. The 2002-2004 models aren't as nice looking to my eye. Other than that, I would say that you can tour on any bike you want - just make a few mods and you're good to go.

2001 model:

Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Gryphon12 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks...

for your perspectives.

The Sprint ST is a great bike, but for my somewhat unique situation, the insurance is very high relative to an ST4s. The difference is enough to pay for Duc maintenance.

I agree about the popularity of the 2004 ST4s, which is why I still hope to find a 2005 in good shape for under $8k US some day. I really want the ease (and silence) of the wet clutch (silly me).

I'm still considering a 5th Gen VFR, and an F800S/ST will do except for the high purchase price. I don't need lots of power and prefer lighter weight, better handling, and good fuel economy. I want more bike than a 650 twin, and the Daytona is cheaper to buy and insure (for me) than an '04 GSX-R750, which was a huge surprise.

It is the cost / performance envelope of the 955i that is intriguing, which is why I asked the original question. I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, with a 31" inseam, so I might fit well on the Daytona. As soon as I see one for sale locally (Seattle), I'll find out.

Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12
for your perspectives.

The Sprint ST is a great bike, but for my somewhat unique situation, the insurance is very high relative to an ST4s. The difference is enough to pay for Duc maintenance.

I agree about the popularity of the 2004 ST4s, which is why I still hope to find a 2005 in good shape for under $8k US some day. I really want the ease (and silence) of the wet clutch (silly me).

I'm still considering a 5th Gen VFR, and an F800S/ST will do except for the high purchase price. I don't need lots of power and prefer lighter weight, better handling, and good fuel economy. I want more bike than a 650 twin, and the Daytona is cheaper to buy and insure (for me) than an '04 GSX-R750, which was a huge surprise.

It is the cost / performance envelope of the 955i that is intriguing, which is why I asked the original question. I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, with a 31" inseam, so I might fit well on the Daytona. As soon as I see one for sale locally (Seattle), I'll find out.

Thanks again.
Might want to look into the Sprint RS. Should be VERY cheap to insure and I've seen quite a few of them for sale on CL for well under $4k. It's the half-faired version of the older-gen Sprint. I believe you can fit hard luggage (or at least some good-sized soft luggage) to its rear subframe.

I believe there are a few RS owners over on sport-touring.net. Go there and do a search.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 285
I've got an older ('02) ST4s and I can tell you that the weight is not something you'll notice or care about in the corners. With the Ohlins suspension the bike just falls in and holds the line. I came off of an SV650 to the Duc and the weight change was not an issue.

I know you want newer, but I need to unload one of my two bikes and the Duc will be the one to go (will be keeping my VFR). I'll sell it for way under $8k
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
Gryphon12 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Cory.

I appreciate all of the Duc ST's. I have an acquaintance on Vancouver Island who rides a modified ST2, and it is something!

Since you have both, I just have to ask. How do you compare the ST4s to the VFR, which Gen VFR, and why keep the Honda?

I've been looking at a 5th Gen VFR and an STx for quite a while. Any comments will be helpful.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #14
karlb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUT
I've got an older ('02) ST4s and I can tell you that the weight is not something you'll notice or care about in the corners. With the Ohlins suspension the bike just falls in and holds the line. I came off of an SV650 to the Duc and the weight change was not an issue.

I know you want newer, but I need to unload one of my two bikes and the Duc will be the one to go (will be keeping my VFR). I'll sell it for way under $8k
test rode an ST4S back when I had my 99 K12RS with rhinewest chip and ohlins front and rear. the STs was a fantastic bike, just not quite enough to make me sell the K12RS off then but I told myself that when they updated the ST4S with the 999 Lump I would buy one--- then ducati killed what to me was their best sport tourer in favor of the ST3, now if they would just bring out the ST4S with the 1198 lump
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
Mane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Thumb the 955 daytona it's one a solid bike

Hi,

One guy in our local RAT Pack has and 955 Daytona and has put a lot of milles on it. He's been to the USA with it once and it's planning on doing Alaska this year.

He's does take care of it and looks and sounds like there's a lot of life on it left. Everytime a see this bike it amaze me how good does it looks.

If you can stand the sport position you'll be highly rewarded with one fine bike.

Regards,
Mane
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote