Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,581
?Adjusting Ergos on NEW Monster? (1200-821 Only)

Questions apply to '14 and newer Ducati Monster.

So here's the deal. I'm 6'-1" and all legs. Add to that, the fact that I'm pushing 60, and had my knee reconstructed after a get-off last summer, and I just need more leg room.

I understand that there are a couple of ways to get more leg room, like lowering pegs or raising seat. Can the pegs even be lowered on a Monster? Would I lose a lot of lean angle?
But raising the seat also changes the feel and balance of the bike under you.
If I build a taller seat, is it possible to raise the bars as well? Are the cables long enough to add risers, or switch to taller handlebars? And will the balance of the bike feel like I'm perched way above it?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
curtis6870
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Not knowledgeable about Ducs, but I will throw in my 2 cents.
I have found that our bodies adapt fairly easily. Mine may be slightly younger and with a little less wear, but still. Some pre ride stretching and a couple advil dont hurt either. It is so much easier to leave a bike in stock form.
Maybe read up on 'Master Yoda Riding Position', which is intended for sport touring but much of it would apply to the Monster layout as well.
Otherwise, sorry to butt in.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
If I build a taller seat, is it possible to raise the bars as well? Are the cables long enough to add risers, or switch to taller handlebars? And will the balance of the bike feel like I'm perched way above it?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Ducati sells a taller seat already, I've forgotten the details but it's cheaper than an aftermarket alternative. EDIT: I just checked the Ducati website and the seat is still listed in the configurator section, it's 25mm higher but the price is now listed as N/A… not sure if that means it's gone for good or just a pricing thing.

The seat is also adjustable from the factory but IMHO that is to get it lower than what was standard, not higher. Having said that.. I wonder if there's a way to raise it up higher by modding the factory parts?

There are also risers and higher bars available, I have no idea how high you can go with the stock lines and wires.

I put a taller aftermarket seat on my 796 Hypermotard and was surprised by how much different it felt even with only about a half an inch difference. I then sold the bike because I didn't like being on my tiptoes at stop lights, which makes absolutely no sense but I ended up with a 1200S so I'm ok with it.

DesmoDog screwed with this post 03-14-2015 at 09:50 AM
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
AirCooledNut
A fly on your lamp

Oddometer: 14
The Monster is a huge-selling bike for Ducati and there are many after-market parts for it. Finding risers and such shouldn't be difficult. I would recommend becoming a member at a good Monster forum.

Most likely lowering the rear sets will reduce lean angles so make sure they are the folding type. Instead of lowering you may want to play with longitudinal (fore and aft) adjustments along with handle bar changes so you don't lose your ground clearance (I'm glad you have your priorities, too ).
Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCooledNut View Post
Most likely lowering the rear sets will reduce lean angles so make sure they are the folding type. Instead of lowering you may want to play with longitudinal (fore and aft) adjustments along with handle bar changes so you don't lose your ground clearance (I'm glad you have your priorities, too ).
The footpeg mounts on the 821/1200 are part of a major casting which will NOT be easily replaced or modified.

Basically without major work you can choose the type of footpeg but it's position is pretty much set, there are no aftermarket solutions. IMHO it may well turn into the Achilles heel of the model, concerns about how they force/interfere with the position of your foot are justified. Doesn't bother me much but I can see how some might be turned off by it.

DesmoDog screwed with this post 03-14-2015 at 10:01 AM Reason: added pics
Old 03-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
AirCooledNut
A fly on your lamp

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the correction 'Dog, I didn't know. I'll have to hit the dealership and take a closer look (it's a straight four block walk from work ). Just judging from the pictures, it still looks after-marketable, just will cost more I'm sure that integrated passenger peg doesn't help things out.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCooledNut View Post
Thanks for the correction 'Dog, I didn't know. I'll have to hit the dealership and take a closer look (it's a straight four block walk from work ). Just judging from the pictures, it still looks after-marketable, just will cost more I'm sure that integrated passenger peg doesn't help things out.
That damn passenger peg crowds my big feet! I'm wondering if I can get away with cutting it off?

As for my priorities, yeah, cornering clearance is important, but raising the center of balance could be as much of an issue in the bike's handling, making the importance of clearance secondary. Maybe I should just admit I'm too damn old for the type of bike, and get a Harley TriGlide
Old 03-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:

As for my priorities, yeah, cornering clearance is important, but raising the center of balance could be as much of an issue in the bike's handling, making the importance of clearance secondary. Maybe I should just admit I'm too damn old for the type of bike, and get a Harley TriGlide
I hear you. At 6'4" myself, it is incredibly depressing to look around as a buyer.

Almost all of the sexy nakeds: scrapped from the list
Almost all Italians: scrapped from the list (except the multistrada but I don't want a multi). I love the looks of the monster you want, but I didn't even sit on it to save me the disappointment...
Almost all (basically all) sport bikes: scrapped from the list...

So this time around, wanting to try Japanese, I've got basically the choice between a super tenere and a super tenere...
Old 03-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
That damn passenger peg crowds my big feet! I'm wondering if I can get away with cutting it off?

This guy cut his off.

He's got a thread going on a different forum

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monst...cro-build.html

Have you trued a Hypermotard? I liked mine a lot, but decided it was too tall for me. Plus when i bought it I was torn between a Monster or the Hyper. When the 821 came out I took another look, and one thing led to another.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post

Have you trued a Hypermotard? I liked mine a lot, but decided it was too tall for me. Plus when i bought it I was torn between a Monster or the Hyper. When the 821 came out I took another look, and one thing led to another.
You can call me superficial, but, looks matter. The Hyper isn't very attractive. I have sat on the bike, at least 3-4 times. It's very comfortable. Since you've owned both, how would you compare the steering? The Hyper seems like it would be...hyper? I was really looking for more naked sport than supermoto, not that that's not also fun.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:36 AM   #11
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,806
Footpegs

JustKip,

Call up the folks at Knight Design:

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/

I've dealt with these folks and can highly recommend them. They make some nice stuff that won't break the bank.

Sarah
Old 03-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #12
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
You can call me superficial, but, looks matter. The Hyper isn't very attractive. I have sat on the bike, at least 3-4 times. It's very comfortable. Since you've owned both, how would you compare the steering? The Hyper seems like it would be...hyper? I was really looking for more naked sport than supermoto, not that that's not also fun.
I haven't ridden the latest incarnation of the Hyper so I can't really comment on that. Mine was a 796 and I didn't think the steering was anything crazy.

What I do rememebr about my Hyper is breaking out laughing for no real reason while riding it home from work. It was like big scooter, and I mean that in the best way. It was smooth, quiet, comfy, a much better street bike than any Ducati I had owned until then. My 1200S on the other hand made me swear into my helmet the first time (or two) I rode it. While openign the throttle on the Hyper made me giggle, doing it on the 1200S made me say "holy shit". Literally.

Absolutely looks matter. Bikes are emotional choices, not rational. I kind of liked how the Hyper looked though. That said, I bought the Monsterin spite of it's looks... I am not a fan of the plumbing or the oil cooler. It's looks are growing on me though. And I did spend extra to get a red one. (The only red they had was a 2015 so I paid MSRP. I could have gotten a white 2014 for less money...)