Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
discoganya OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Anyone gone from an SV650 to a ZRX1200R?

As the title indicates, I'm thinking of selling my SV and buying the big Kawi. Any thoughts?

I usually ride 3000 miles / year, mostly locally, in and around 100 miles of the Bay Area. I'm no speed junkie, not interested in wheelies, racing, stunting or anything extreme.

I liked the torque of the ZRX and I love the looks. But there's nothing wrong with my SV either.

Will I end up regretting the move? (Wife will not allow 2 bikes)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
All you gain is aesthetics and a ton of license losing power. You lose gas money and insurance. My SV was crazy bang for the buck.

06 KTM200, 08 V-Strom 650
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
mellroc
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I got to borrow a ZRX1200r for a few weeks while my SV650 radiator was being fixed.
I was surprised how disappointed I was with the Kawi. It had big big power, but seriously lacked the handling and agility of the sv650. I was very happy to get my Suzuki back.
mellroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 73
I did something very close to this a year and a half ago.

I traded in my sv650 for a 2012 Kawasaki Concours.

My only regret? Not doing it sooner. It's no where near as nimble as the SV, but tons more power, and a lot more creature-comforts.

-UD
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
The ZRX has 70+ ft/lbs and a 5 speed. That makes shifting while riding two up almost unnecessary. If your wife ever rides with you, the ZRX is vastly superior to an SV for that reason, as well as being more comfortable for the pillion.

In car terms, the SV is a Lotus Elan and the ZRX is an Olds 442.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,729
Haven't spent more than 5 miles on an SV, but I did spend a lot of time on my old ZRX1100. Everything said above is correct, the SV is more agile and nimble, but the ZRX has wayyy more power and is still no slouch in the handling department, it just needs to be pushed around a bit more. The ZRX has a surprising amount of torque for an inline 4 and you can go pretty much any speed in any gear. It makes a great sport-touring bike - I took mine 7,000 miles to the Oregon coast and back last summer with no real complaints.

It makes a great daily rider/commuter, too. There's quite a lot of storage under the seat, and the upright seating position is comfortable and gives you great visibility in traffic.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
dom1104
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I had a ZRX, I hated it.

Too heavy, and as the other guy mentioned... shifting is optional.

Where is the fun in Optional shifting? I could literally spend all day long, get on the highway, and stop at a light in second gear. It could be ridden like a scooter.

I would have traded it for a SV in a heartbeat.

The ZRX is a old fat guys bike, who doesn't want to be bothered by finding powerbands or shifting.

To me it took a lot of the interaction out of motorcycling, that smaller lesser powered bikes bring.
1972 Honda CB450K - Project Bike
dom1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1104 View Post
I had a ZRX, I hated it.

Where is the fun in Optional shifting? I could literally spend all day long, get on the highway, and stop at a light in second gear. It could be ridden like a scooter.

The ZRX is a old fat guys bike, who doesn't want to be bothered by finding powerbands or shifting.

To me it took a lot of the interaction out of motorcycling, that smaller lesser powered bikes bring.
Well, just because you don't have to shift doesn't mean that it won't go faster if you do. But I did end up selling mine because although I thought it was a great bike, I just wasn't having all that much fun on it. If you wanted to wind it out, you'd be breaking every speed limit before you shifted to second, and while you could make it corner well, it was a bit more of an effort that I'd have liked.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
dom1104
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Well, just because you don't have to shift doesn't mean that it won't go faster if you do. But I did end up selling mine because although I thought it was a great bike, I just wasn't having all that much fun on it. If you wanted to wind it out, you'd be breaking every speed limit before you shifted to second, and while you could make it corner well, it was a bit more of an effort that I'd have liked.
Yep. Exactly my experience as well. You summed it up well.

The couple of times that I really let loose and let the bike stretch its legs, if anything happened, I would be dead. Dead. Dead.

But doing 100+ on a naked bike down a endless road with corn up to the edges of the road is a surreal feeling.
1972 Honda CB450K - Project Bike
dom1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Yep. Exactly my experience as well. You summed it up well.

The couple of times that I really let loose and let the bike stretch its legs, if anything happened, I would be dead. Dead. Dead.

But doing 100+ on a naked bike down a endless road with corn up to the edges of the road is a surreal feeling.
Yeah. Never came close to hitting its top speed, don't think I even wound out 3rd gear, but it was already plenty fast enough to get me dead in a hurry if anything went wrong. If I lived out in the rural Midwest with a lot of arrow-straight roads and little traffic, it might have been a better bike for me, but living in the city I always felt like I had to baby the throttle everywhere I went.

I kept my DR350 because I can bomb around with the throttle WFO and top out around 75mph
Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
devo55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
I had a ZRX, I hated it.

Different strokes and all that. If I could find a clean one for not too much money, it could share the garage with my FZ1. Always loved the looks of the ZRX1200R. A shame Kawasaki stopped making them.

As others are telling you, the SV is hella bang for the buck.
devo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,991
Why sell the SV? Keep it & buy the Kawi. I don't own a ZX14 (and have never ridden one), but I own a Connie. I live in an urban environment, for which the Connie is a real pig to haul around. It's why I got the SV. I use the SV to zip around town and attack twisties, and I use the connie for 500+ mile days.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

If you really want to, owning both isn't too expensive. I know I got lucky finding my ZRX1100 for $1500, but they can generally be found in good shape in the $3K to $4K range.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
discoganya OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Thanks for the replies. Two bikes isn't an option. I don't get very much time to ride the one bike I have, so I simply cannot justify having two in the garage - no matter the costs. I have no interest in two-up riding either.

This thread looks like a mixed bag of opinions, I guess. Interesting, because every ZRX owner I've met say they love the bike.

My real concern is weight.
2002 SV650 dry weight = 364lbs
2001 ZRX1200R dry weight = 490lbs

That's a huge difference! Does the extra weight make it much harder to handle the tight stuff? On a 10 mile test ride its really hard to gauge the impact of the extra weight. Only after you've ridden the thing for 100s of miles (including tight twisties) do you start to get a feel.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
Hohmie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
I swapped bikes(SV) with a friend that has a ZRX and I really liked my bike better. The big Kawi was a bit much for me.

I like riding a small bike harder than barely riding the big bike to keep the speed.
I am an ok street rider, track days, sport touring etc.

I may have been intimidated by all the power.
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote