Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
c5babe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
ROAD HAZARDS: What have you run over lately?

The other day, my husband was riding his F800GS home from the airport, when he heard a loud POP. The bike didn't ride any different, so he continued on towards home, about 15 miles away. He made it almost all the way, but about 500 feet down the street, he could feel the rear tire going flat. He actually made it all the way, and when he pulled into the garage, he put the bike up on a jack to inspect the tire. This is what he found:

This spike was driven in the tire all the way up to the head, and getting it out was not easy. By the way, these are brand new TKC80's. Not even 200 miles on them.

This thing is 3 inches long......

and left a hole 1/4 inch across.

Gary had to get a new inner tube, and a hole plug kit. He also put a rubber patch on the inside of the tire. So far it's holding up.

So, what else has been run over? Ladders, lumber, house siding?

There are four things you can't recover: the stone..after the throw, the word..after it's said,
the occasion..after it's missed and the time ..after it's gone.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 547
Railroad called, they want their spike back
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,219
none lately...knock on wood.

a couple years ago, though, there were some contractors renovating a house in my neighborhood who were not very good at actually getting stuff into--rather than just somewhere in the vicinity of--the dumpster they parked on the street. picked up several nails/screws in a few month stretch from those assholes.

a few words were exchanged. but that was about it... it's kinda frustrating that there is nothing you can really do about crap like that when the city doesn't care.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
henshao
Bained

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
none lately...knock on wood.

a couple years ago, though, there were some contractors renovating a house in my neighborhood who were not very good at actually getting stuff into--rather than just somewhere in the vicinity of--the dumpster they parked on the street. picked up several nails/screws in a few month stretch from those assholes.

a few words were exchanged. but that was about it... it's kinda frustrating that there is nothing you can really do about crap like that when the city doesn't care.
Perhaps if they started running over an abnormally high quantity of what they can only assume to be their own screws and nails....
Old 09-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Standard incident for new tires. The last two sets of tires I have on a bike have been punctured within 200 miles. A rear Heidenau K60 on a BMW R100 GSPD and a rear Michelin Road Pilot 3 on a BMW R1150RT.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
aalegado
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 415
I ran over a ladder that was flat-spinning on the road after flying off a pick-up from the #4 lane to the #1 lane where I was. I lucked out that by the time I ran over it, it was oriented perpendicular to my direction of travel so I only ran over the legs and was clear. If I'd ran it over the other way I'd have had to run over every rung of the ladder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,609
Armadillo carcass, in a decreasing-radius Interstate off-ramp with a concrete guard barrier. Fairly slick, the bike got squirrelly for a couple of seconds. No mishap ensued, but I've been lucky for too too long...

--Bill
Old 09-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 177
Hit a pothole south of Watson Lake, Canada that I needed GPS directions to find my way out! (At least it seemed like that!). Bent my front wheel, but still holding air!
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Ran this over about three years ago, new tire of course and between the tow, hotel room and a new tire cost me about 500 dollars.

In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 91k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,384
I ran over a mattress not long ago. Almost had to lay er down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
I ran over a mattress not long ago. Almost had to lay er down.
Well, at least you'd have been in the right spot!

Riding around the Detroit area, there's almost always some kind of debris in or alongside the road, though the main threats are the potholes. There have been a few that have even made me nervous on my DR, but thankfully it's usually easy to avoid potholes on a moto.

The last thing I hit was a suicidal squirrel. Damn thing was in the road as I was approaching, so I slowed down and let it get out of the way. It did, but then sprinted back out into the street just as I passed, head-butting my skidplate. I felt a little bad for it but it also got caught by the rear wheel so I doubt it suffered for long. No idea what goes through those little fancy rats' minds when they're playing in traffic.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
The last thing I hit was a suicidal squirrel. Damn thing was in the road as I was approaching, so I slowed down and let it get out of the way. It did, but then sprinted back out into the street just as I passed, head-butting my skidplate. I felt a little bad for it but it also got caught by the rear wheel so I doubt it suffered for long. No idea what goes through those little fancy rats' minds when they're playing in traffic.
You mean, besides skidplates and tires?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Well, I didn't hit either of them, but it must be the season for hammers dropping here in Colorado. Almost ran over a ball peen hammer and a 2 pound sledge hammer in the last week. How the hell do they get in the middle of the road?
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
henshao
Bained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
Hit a pothole south of Watson Lake, Canada that I needed GPS directions to find my way out! (At least it seemed like that!). Bent my front wheel, but still holding air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post

By the grace of God I didn't go down with my two simultaneous flats while leaned over.
Got a set of Marchesini's afterwards
Old 09-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I asked the same thing once after hitting a dog. I was told that even though they've run off the road, they're scared and they run back to where they just were because they (in their mind) were safe when they were there a few seconds ago. I guess it makes sense.
TXRKC is online now   Reply With Quote