Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #1666
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFitz View Post
Only reason I hate on HD is not because of their decision to let them go (that was good), but for their continued decisions prior to that (the entire time they owned the brand). They continually and constantly stifled Erik's innovation and shot down his ideas, deliberately hamstringing his racing efforts, then did shady things like lobby for ridiculous rule changes when all they really SHOULD have done was stop being douches.
He knew very well the way HD operated when he elected to sell his operation to them. He had worked from them previously and I believe went in eyes open. Too bad they didn't see eye to eye. Without HD's $ he would not have the bike he has today. He's better off on his own calling his own shots because I get the feeling he's pretty strong willed and quite possibly difficult to work with. I've met him a couple times and ridden with him once. He's made and continues to make his mark in the industry. I'm a fan but not a fanboy zealot. As far as his bikes, I'm thrilled to see them on the podium but since I'm no longer racing, I don't want one and I don't like to ride sportbikes on the street. Hell, I just bought a 2012 Road Glide Ultra (which is fantastic) to share the garage with my highly modded Hp2 adv bike.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #1667
TheFitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I like Harleys too, though.

Every bike has a purpose. Harleys included. I'd LOVE a fully loaded ultra classic for cruising with my beautiful wife. Probably will have to settle for a used GL1500 instead for money reasons :-D
TheFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #1668
Rapid One
The name says it all

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Cant let it go can you?

Please don't talk about image, didn't you post some chick wearing pink to match the pink bike a few pages back?

Americans lover performance and technology? You don't know shit about what Americans like, you think you do, but not a clue dude. There are large subcultures within America that drive much of this. Sure some Americans love high tech performance, but theres a lot that prefer

or

Neither handle well, neither particularly fast either I would guess, both probably fun to tool around in.

Come spend some time here before you decide who we are.
Great response and SO TRUE!!

It might be a surprise to many of the technophiles on this site to find out that the good old fashioned American hot rod culture is not only alive and well but thriving.
Many of the hot rod meets (see Good Guys) are unimaginably huge often drawing entry counts in the 1000s for a single meet sometimes approaching or exceeding 5000 cars.
This portion or American culture is at least part of what H-D is aiming at and doing a very fine job of it. What is Harley doing? Being successful.
Rapid One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #1669
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
Great response and SO TRUE!!

It might be a surprise to many of the technophiles on this site to find out that the good old fashioned American hot rod culture is not only alive and well but thriving.
Many of the hot rod meets (see Good Guys) are unimaginably huge often drawing entry counts in the 1000s for a single meet sometimes approaching or exceeding 5000 cars.
This portion or American culture is at least part of what H-D is aiming at and doing a very fine job of it. What is Harley doing? Being successful.

Good Guys in Fort Worth is huge, takes a whole day to wander through and still you'll miss something.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #1670
Andy65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
What is Harley doing? Selling bikes, what else? If we were all the same it would be a boring world right? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so they say. I present Bad Boy Brad, a happy new hog owner (not sure if this was posted already...)

Andy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #1671
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy65 View Post
(not sure if this was posted already...)
About 205 times.... But it never gets old.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #1672
dirt rider lane
n00b

Oddometer: 8
That vid is one the best!!!
dirt rider lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #1673
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,542
I like the posts that talk about big, shaky bikes, heavy with chrome, technologically backward, blah blah blah. It's like they've never seen a VTX, or a Star, or a Boulevard, or a....

:what:
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #1674
zrxmoto
don't wanna be a n00b

Oddometer: 125
It is almost like some people want Harley to fail. In a "I told you so" sort of way.

Harley doesn't need to make sportbikes or add high technology to their bikes to attract younger people. When I go to some of the bike nights around here, it is getting more common to see younger people on rat bikes, customs, cafe's, dualies, etc.

In world where the younger generation is increasingly cocooned by their technology, I think sometimes there is a desire for simple steel and chrome.

I think Harley got to a point where it looked at what it was doing with Buell and the acquisition of MV and asked themselves "why are we doing this?" Even if Buell was left to do whatever the hell he wanted, and let's say he elevated the Buell brand to that of Ducati's, would that have been a game changer for Harley? I don't think so.

In my experience some of the most grizzled motorcycle touring veterans I've ever encountered, at least here in the US, have been on Harley's. When I ride the VFR home this afternoon, Harley's will outnumber other motorcycles on the road 3 to 1. Absolutely there are some pirate costume posers out there, but there are a lot of Harley owners who ride the wheels off these things.
2010 KLX250S
zrxmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #1675
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Are you seriously saying that Harley-Davidsons' are not good motorcycles?
Nah he's saying you're not a good salesman.

I rode a harley the other weekend at Myrtle on a demo ride.
Once I got past the salesman trying to explain to me how I didn't understand how much torque it had compared to my cbr954, and how I'd have to be super careful because of the acceleration. It was a hell of a lot more comfortable than I thought. it was amusing, and the trike was HILARIOUS.
Would I buy one right now? No. I'm ()()#$*()*(%#_) broke and can't afford one. Plus I'd much rather have a nice plated 450 dirt bike, and a sport touring bike first. But after those two, I'd seriously consider one for cruising. Damn thing was comfortable.
hscrugby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #1676
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Once I got past the salesman trying to explain to me how I didn't understand how much torque it had compared to my cbr954, and how I'd have to be super careful because of the acceleration.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #1677
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Are you seriously saying that Harley-Davidsons' are not good motorcycles?

They may not be the type of motorcycles you like (I don’t care for feet forward bikes for myself) but to twist that into saying they are not good is a bit silly don’t you think?
no i never said that. if i wanted a cruiser it would be the only one i would get.
but just because they sell a lot of bikes dosent mean they are the best bike.
seen a list of the top 40 selling records latley? same thing.
i dont hate harley i just wish they would build a bike id like to own. i think a lot of people on here feel the same way.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #1678
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Just put a 1000 miles on a 2012 Road Glide Ultra this weekend in the mountains. Damn nice bike. All sorts of roads including dirt and plenty of spirited tossing it about in tight twisties. No complaints here.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #1679
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
i dont hate harley i just wish they would build a bike id like to own. i think a lot of people on here feel the same way.
+1.

If you want what they sell, they're a good source. If you don't want it, the arrogance of a lot of a lot of owners, dealers, sales people (present company excepted) is off-putting.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #1680
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
.......i dont hate harley i just wish they would build a bike id like to own. i think a lot of people on here feel the same way.

I've never understood this argument, and I've seen several people say this or something very similar. If they dont build a bike you'd like to own, dont buy one. If I want to buy a cruiser, it'd be silly of me to complain that Ducati doesn't build one.

I like this site but I dont understand all the disdain for Harley Davidsons on this site. I think most of it is just people talking out of their ass with either very little or absolutely no knowledge or first hand experience of what they're talking about.
TXRKC is online now   Reply With Quote