Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #181
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,313
Well, well, well. This is interesting....from Motorcyle USA today. Maybe Harley is doing a better job of marketing to young riders than the experts here think.

"While the Harley demographic is reportedly aging, according to The Motor Company an independent third-party study by R.L. Polk conducted in 2008 revealed that Harley-Davidson became the top selling brand in the U.S. in sales of new street motorcycles to young adults 18-34. And in 2009, it reportedly extended that lead. This is for all displacement engines, not just heavyweight motorcycles. The Dark Custom line and bikes like the Forty-Eight and Nightster have been instrumental to attracting riders in this demographic."

Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #182
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottVet View Post
Hey Thumper, I'm your huckleberry. I'm a beemer guy who likes harleys, but I am a "day rider" as well- several hundred mile days, if you will. Typically go to Florida, 1800 miles in two days. Come on down & I will do some serious rides with you. Unfortunately, most harley's in my part of the country go from bar to bar. Just goes to show it is the rider, not the bike brand!
Dude, now you've got it coming. That is, you've got me coming your way.

I make it down to N. Carolina (at least, I've got a sister there) and points further south every couple years and would love to meet up with some folks from down there. Last year took me to Miami in fact.

I'll say this also: I'm no brand snob. I'll ride with anyone who enjoys nice long days in the saddle, don't matter to me. No piracy, no cliquishness...

EDIT: and in spite of the bikes I do have, I have always wanted a boxer and someday, I will have one!
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #183
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Well, well, well. This is interesting....from Motorcyle USA today. Maybe Harley is doing a better job of marketing to young riders than the experts here think.

"While the Harley demographic is reportedly aging, according to The Motor Company an independent third-party study by R.L. Polk conducted in 2008 revealed that Harley-Davidson became the top selling brand in the U.S. in sales of new street motorcycles to young adults 18-34. And in 2009, it reportedly extended that lead. This is for all displacement engines, not just heavyweight motorcycles. The Dark Custom line and bikes like the Forty-Eight and Nightster have been instrumental to attracting riders in this demographic."

If you are going to confuse the issue with facts I'm taking my crayons and going home!
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:41 AM   #184
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,185
Quote:

Young adults are 34..........

I guess midlife crisis are trending down eh?
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #185
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I have a 1999 Moto Guzzi EV1100, the cruiser with the heart of a sportbike. This is 99% the same as the current California Vintage 1100.

It would be really easy for Harley to build a 1200 Sportster that would be in the same vein as the Ducati Classic line or the Guzzi V7.

That statistic about younger Harley buyers probably is representative of the "Urban Hipsters" who are buying Sportsters and base model big twins. They are loudly riding in a straight line, slowly riding around curves, and skidding past the driveway of "The Flinn" when they lock up the rear wheel because they were thinking about how cool it was to be part of the Mods Vs Rockers ride, and didn't notice that the guy on the old school BSA bobber used a hand signal and shifted down to turn in without any drama.

"What doesn't kill ya, makes ya stronger!"
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #186
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,527
You guys must not see the demographic I do. I have a lot of young guys working for me. And when they decide to buy that first bike they are about evenly split on crotch rockets or a Harley. Neither group has a clue what either bike actually does. They just know they either want to go fast or ride a Harley. I hear it all the time. The last two purchases by my employees were a Hayabusa and a Harley for just the reasons I said. One guy wanted to go fast and the other just knew he wanted a Harley.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #187
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
I have a 1999 Moto Guzzi EV1100, the cruiser with the heart of a sportbike. This is 99% the same as the current California Vintage 1100.

It would be really easy for Harley to build a 1200 Sportster that would be in the same vein as the Ducati Classic line or the Guzzi V7.

That statistic about younger Harley buyers probably is representative of the "Urban Hipsters" who are buying Sportsters and base model big twins. They are loudly riding in a straight line, slowly riding around curves, and skidding past the driveway of "The Flinn" when they lock up the rear wheel because they were thinking about how cool it was to be part of the Mods Vs Rockers ride, and didn't notice that the guy on the old school BSA bobber used a hand signal and shifted down to turn in without any drama.

"What doesn't kill ya, makes ya stronger!"

You are very likely correct in your statement, I am just glad that they are riding.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #188
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post

You go find me a cruiser that will out handle a Harley BIG TIME in the same cc class. A Yamaha Road Star won't handle much better, nor will other big Japanese V twin cruisers. Thats what they are.

Both the Triumph Rocket III (all three flavors) and Triumph Thunderbird handle better that any Harley I've ever ridden, and that includes 09+ Tourers.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #189
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:

Does that include Buell? I wonder what percent of sales was people buying Buells.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #190
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Hey Finland Thumper- that is great news. I typically go on South of Miami to the Keys. Can meet you in Atlanta or the I-10/I-75 Junction in Florida. Heck, I can even come on over on I-40, I think it ends up in North Carolina somewhere. Just let me know when you are over here.
BTW- I will be going down either around Feb. 18th, or in March during spring break -weather permitting, meaning no snow! Keep in touch
I am a GS driver, and hoping to buy a Harley soon, never had one before but my daughter thinks they are cool! Best Regards!
RottVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #191
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider200 View Post
two smaller bikes
sportster 883 and Buell Blast
only problem http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html
and low HP old tech engine compared to competition
Perhaps this was your point, but:

Blast is dead, and the sportster is a 572 lb bike!

Not at all what beginning riders and urban-area commuters need.

Quote:

Then why in the hell did H-D need bailout money?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #192
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Perhaps this was your point, but:

Blast is dead, and the sportster is a 572 lb bike!
?

The Sportster is fine for a starter bike, you can launch safely from full throttle, neither the brakes nor handling have any real edges and everything happens in a measured predictable fashion.

Not to mention that CG is so low that if the wheels are moving at all its stable as a stone at low speed.

Yes, its heavy, but if you can't hold up a bike with a 21" seat height (yes, I know its higher but it feels that low) you may need to rethink your chosen hobbies.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #193
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:

I won't question the facts but by "sales" do they mean units or dollar figures? You can buy 4-5 Ninja 250s for the price of one of their chromed out beasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post

On a side note I just gotta ask how you like your machine and is she reliable?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #194
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
The Sportster is fine for a starter bike, you can launch safely from full throttle, neither the brakes nor handling have any real edges and everything happens in a measured predictable fashion.

Not to mention that CG is so low that if the wheels are moving at all its stable as a stone at low speed.

Yes, its heavy, but if you can't hold up a bike with a 21" seat height (yes, I know its higher but it feels that low) you may need to rethink your chosen hobbies.
I assume you mean 27". A 21" seat height would probably be harder to learn on, not easier.

And picking it up after the inevitable parking-lot tipover? What about getting out from under it?

There isn't any real good reason for a beginner or commuter bike to be that heavy. Just because Harley makes a bike that heavy is not a good reason. Especially not when there are much more manageable bikes for less available. Yes, the sportster can be ridden by a new or urban commuting rider, but it is hardly the best or even most economical choice.

It is simply a domestic market segment not explored by "America's" motorcycle company.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #195
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,502
Here is what they are doing

THE H-D1 REVOLUTION
2/4/11

http://www.factorycustomization.com/...section=circle

Does this mean that we can order a lighter bike that goes, stops and turns well?
Time to buy a Harley Davidson