Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #316
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
Harley unit sales: 2010: 210,494 - net profit $259.7 million. Harley-Davidson Financial Services was a key contributor to 2010 earnings, with net income of $181.9 million.

Harley's customer base is dying while the imports' customer bases are growing.
Those 2010 figures look just fine and they've never intended to outproduce Honda worldwide. A next gen big twin is just around the corner and with Polaris/Victory's hp/torque figures as an incentive, it'll be their best yet.

With photo radar/traffic light cameras and draconian penalties ever increasing for speeding, rumbling along on a Harley has never made better sense.

But worry and promote doom and gloom, if that's your pleasure.

996DL

996DL screwed with this post 02-08-2011 at 10:16 PM
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #317
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Those 2010 figures look just fine and they've never intended to out produce Honda worldwide. A next gen big twin is just around the corner and with Polaris/Victory's hp/torque figures as an incentive, it'll be their best yet.

With photo radar/traffic light cameras and draconian penalties ever increasing for speeding, rumbling along on a Harley has never made better sense.

But worry and promote doom and gloom, if that's your pleasure.

996DL
What figures are you looking at?

Their units sold are down down down. They made a profit, but not from selling bikes, from re-organizing their financial unit. That might be 'ok' if they were a financial services company, but the fact is that those services also depend on them actually selling bikes... which they ain't doing

But I do think the India thing has lots of potential. They will no doubt create a smaller/more practical india only bike. The sad thing is that we'll certainly never get it here because they pay a HUGE 'buy american' backlash if they ever sold such a bike here.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #318
996DL
Buell me

If you can manage to still sell 200,000 premium priced, union produced motorcycles, in the middle of a recession/depression and turn out a profit of a 1/4 billion dollars, I'd think you're turning it around just fine.

Motorcycles are a luxury item, at least in HD's marketplace segment and with the recent/current worldwide financial crisis, the formally ever increasing numbers will slide. One way or the other, HD's managed to weather numerous wars and economic turndowns, this one ain't any different.

Shitcanning Buell and losing hundred's of millions on the MV experiment, were extremely poor moves, but what's done is done and they're soldiering on regardless.

Moto Guzzi put out some 3000 bikes last year and has a nearly non-existent dealer network in NA, now there's a company to worry about.

996DL
Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #319
Ultra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
If you can manage to still sell 200,000 premium priced, union produced motorcycles, in the middle of a recession/depression and turn out a profit of a 1/4 billion dollars, I'd think you're turning it around just fine.
You think selling 70% less motorcycles is a good thing, huh? HD is only profitable now because they were able to shed their bad loans and restructure Eaglemark and HDFS, their lending institution.

Over half of all new Harleys sold in the US are financed through Eaglemark HD. So they are essentially selling bikes to themselves.

The only reason they were able to move so many bikes in the last few years was because Eaglemark gave easy credit to ANYONE with a pulse. Now that credit is much harder to get, far fewer Harleys will be sold.

And now that the market is flooded with used Harleys from bank repos and people coming on hard times, the outlook is even worse.

Further, Harley shouldn't even be in business anymore. Harley would have had to file for bankruptcy in 2009 had it not been for the US Government bailing them out by buying $2.3 billion in "commercial paper" from HD Financial secretly.

Again, our tax dollars saved Harley Davidson. How many times do we have to save Harley? Indian didn't get saved. Excelsior Henderson didn't get saved. Neither did the myriad of other US auto companies.

Harley has proven time and again that it CANNOT stand on it's own with it's current boutique bikes. If not for taxpayer money, they would be gone already. They need a more viable product with wider appeal to survive without government intervention. Period.

I wish the government would give me 2.3 billion. I'm sure I could show a $250 million profit with a $2.3 billion handout. If you think Harley is in good shape... you just haven't been paying attention.
Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #320
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 650
Nothing advertises "I have the crabs" like a Harley Davidson tank top on some bar skank.

There is an argument to be made that the hottest chicks go for Vespas, but then some guys find bar skanks hot so it becomes a matter of personal preference.

Years ago Walmart was making a name for themselves with their "Buy American" campaign. Later their customers easily made the switch to the "good household economics" argument and much of their product now comes from overseas. Sure, there would be a backlash among the party faithful if HD started shipping bikes in from over seas, but over time buyers wouldn't care. That is IF they can pull off a greenfield overseas production facility. I would bet they can't. I wonder how much foreign content there is in a sportster today.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #321
996DL
Buell me

Quote:
You think selling 70% less motorcycles is a good thing, huh?
It appears math isn't necessarily your strong point, as 200,000 units sold in 2010 will highlight.

ADVrider's many forums and threads, are apparently an attractive proposition for many Harley Davidson haters, glad to see you've found a niche. You'll be a big hit in Yo momma.

996DL
Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #322
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Steady on, 996DL. Ultra's comments do get to the heart of the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider88 View Post
I remember being in a bar and having a gal say to a friend, "This ASS don't sit on nothing but HD."
I've heard a few women say that, too. Let me just say that, for any number of reasons, I'm glad that they don't want to sit on my bike!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #323
996DL
Buell me

The moment Harley Davidson tries to directly compete with "Japan MC Corp.", then you'll witness failure and a real waste of your precious tax dollars.

Harleys sell because they're Harleys, it's that simple and don't think for a moment, their R & D facilities aren't up to the task, of ensuring their product line meets future requirements, you'll lose your bet.

And if you think other countries, don't subsidize their industries at times of crisis, think again.

996DL
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #324
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
You don't think HD could build a successful UJM copy? That would require straying from the v twin motor.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #325
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
You think selling 70% less motorcycles is a good thing, huh? HD is only profitable now because they were able to shed their bad loans and restructure Eaglemark and HDFS, their lending institution.

Over half of all new Harleys sold in the US are financed through Eaglemark HD. So they are essentially selling bikes to themselves.

The only reason they were able to move so many bikes in the last few years was because Eaglemark gave easy credit to ANYONE with a pulse. Now that credit is much harder to get, far fewer Harleys will be sold.

And now that the market is flooded with used Harleys from bank repos and people coming on hard times, the outlook is even worse.

Further, Harley shouldn't even be in business anymore. Harley would have had to file for bankruptcy in 2009 had it not been for the US Government bailing them out by buying $2.3 billion in "commercial paper" from HD Financial secretly.

Again, our tax dollars saved Harley Davidson. How many times do we have to save Harley? Indian didn't get saved. Excelsior Henderson didn't get saved. Neither did the myriad of other US auto companies.

Harley has proven time and again that it CANNOT stand on it's own with it's current boutique bikes. If not for taxpayer money, they would be gone already. They need a more viable product with wider appeal to survive without government intervention. Period.

I wish the government would give me 2.3 billion. I'm sure I could show a $250 million profit with a $2.3 billion handout. If you think Harley is in good shape... you just haven't been paying attention.
Awfully opinionated for a guy with no bike.
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #326
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,121
Quote:
Moto Guzzi put out some 3000 bikes last year and has a nearly non-existent dealer network in NA, now there's a company to worry about.
Moto Guzzi's like the furniture store on the corner- going out of business every other month *is* part of their business plan.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #327
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
You don't think HD could build a successful UJM copy? That would require straying from the v twin motor.
Nothing wrong with a v-twin.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #328
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

No, but Buell's sales weren't all that great. I think a lot of riders dogged the brand because of the motor more than the bike as a whole. Consider that the XB12 was raced in the 600 class rather than with other literbikes. My 10 year old F4 had 2 ponies more than my 3 year old XB.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #329
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Nope, not when they are well executed.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #330
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
Consider that the XB12 was raced in the 600 class rather than with other literbikes. My 10 year old F4 had 2 ponies more than my 3 year old XB.
So are air cooled Ducatis if you want to be technical about it.

In CCS Thunderbike you see SVs, XBs ect ect.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote