Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #751
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,373
Of course i was making some sweeping generalities about South Park's audience. There will always be exceptions of which i'm included. I'm 37 and I watch, but none of my peers do.

And yes, you can buy HD's for less (I was exaggerating obviously), but what do you get? An $8000 883 which equates to essentially a beginners bike?

The fact is I see VERY few people under 40 riding HD's (I don't ever remember seeing anyone under 30, but they're probably out there) and I imagine the cost alone is a huge limiting factor. Add to that the bang for buck and HD's dead in the water.

I also realize that HD is going after the younger crowd with their Dark Custom blog, etc. I am sure they'd love nothing more than to capture a younger audience just like everybody that wants to sell something, but until they can make competitively priced bikes I don't see it happening.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #752
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Also, I would love to see Harley succeed. I'm all for union made American products, but it seems they are caught in a similar loop that the auto co's were.

They would like to sell less expensive, efficient motorcycles (and capture that younger audience), but the big ones pay the bills.

Dropping Buell did not help, not that the dealership attitude toward Buell did. I went into my local dealer a few years ago and as I looked at the pretty Dyna's I was swarmed with sales people. When I asked about Buell they pointed to a far off corner where hidden by clothing racks were the Buell's. No sales people followed me there. It was like I was walking into no man's land.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #753
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
And yes, you can buy HD's for less (I was exaggerating obviously), but what do you get? An $8000 883 which equates to essentially a beginners bike?

Hmm... after 46 years of riding, i should probably consider stepping away from the beginner scoots.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #754
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Hmm... after 46 years of riding, i should probably consider stepping away from the beginner scoots.
Very cool bikes, no question, but you have to admit you are the exception not the rule.

In fact I bet if you knew nothing of motorcycles and went into your local HD dealer you would be pushed away from that $8000 883 and told specifically that it is a beginner's bike or a girl's bike.

EDIT: Something tells me you have a bit more than $8000 invested in those machines.

Thanantos screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 08:06 AM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #755
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
I don't have a picture BUT yesterday I did see 2 XR1200 riders that were young (20's) at a gas station even in most of the gear., they were leaving as I pulled in. Both bikes were not stock, loud, and one looked to have non-stock rear shocks. SO that bike is getting some interest with the younger demographic.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #756
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,631
The only Harley I would own is an older pre rubber mount, pre FI sportster.
I HAVE a 2009 1200 with 4700 miles on it for sale, for $6500.00, not a bad price for a like new bike with extra's.
Too small and heavy and low for my tastes, but nice on the road.
You can get big ones cheap if you look around, not sure about the brand holding their value....I paid $9000.00 for my leftover 2009, put shocks, seat, etc on it and its not selling for $6500.......
If that is holding its value, whats the ones that don't hold there value like???
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #757
Thanantos
Ride hard.

BTW, just looked it up. The 883 is about 50 hp at about 600lbs wet @ $8000.00

The Suzuki GS500F is 47hp at 396lbs dry (with a windshield and fairing) @ $5200.00
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #758
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The only Harley I would own is an older pre rubber mount, pre FI sportster.
I HAVE a 2009 1200 with 4700 miles on it for sale, for $6500.00, not a bad price for a like new bike with extra's.
Too small and heavy and low for my tastes, but nice on the road.
You can get big ones cheap if you look around, not sure about the brand holding their value....I paid $9000.00 for my leftover 2009, put shocks, seat, etc on it and its not selling for $6500.......
If that is holding its value, whats the ones that don't hold there value like???

It's a conundrum......supply and demand.....demand falls and supply goes up and prices fall..... can't have it both ways. As the market grows or contracts HD will build more or fewer bikes, usually lagging the market by a good bit. Your 1200 is effected by used 96ci coming on the market like the one I bought.

Truth is, the dollar has fallen by well over 30% so import bike prices have risen where Harley has had to keep the price flat or lower. Would you rather have a $15K Kawasaki Concours 14 or a Harley Street Glide for 17K? Which do you think will hold it's value better?

Hey, it's just money. Go for a nice ride on your 1200 and I bet you'll be glad you still have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #759
cardoctor1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
been hearing the b.s. that hd riders are getting older yes its true but everybody is getting older which means that 20 something crotchrock rider is getting older also. buell was a big mistake for harley the crowd they are trying to sell to wants cruisers. just like when bmw came out with a cruiser a few yrs ago. how did that work out.hd sale are up from last yr and their product gets better every yr. if you can afford 8g's for a new 883 which has really become a cool bike. buy a used one. one of my old guys at work bought a used 883 for $3,500 .
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #760
Boston_Sprint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Sigh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSmith View Post
"What they need to do is FIRST make more sporty bikes, not older classic badass bikes! I mean they tried with the XR 1200, but it still runs a Sportster motor, and is a bit pricey. Plus, it is under advertised, as I meet many who haven't even heard of such a bike. If they could drop the price and drop a V-Rod motor in, tune it, and show it smoking an R6 it JUST MIGHT draw some younger riders in! "

Great idea! Maybe start with a Sportster engine, then get a guy with real racing experience to build a trick chassis for it, set him up in a separate division to design and build them, and then sell it through Harley dealers...

Oh. Wait.
LOL..... they sold Erik down the river, I never saw a committed effort and by the time the real engines arrived it was deemed Too Late Dollar Short. I absolutely LOVE the look of the Ulysses -- it's beautiful to me at least -- but I'm friends with the head mechanic at Greater Boston Motorsports and he just said, "you don't want to go there."

It does remind me though to wrap a quick movie of some video I shot last year of a guy on the Rotax model on the highway. It was a little odd-looking but I still give it mad props.
Boston_Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #761
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Quote:
The fact is I see VERY few people under 40 riding HD's (I don't ever remember seeing anyone under 30, but they're probably out there) and I imagine the cost alone is a huge limiting factor. Add to that the bang for buck and HD's dead in the water.
You are still showing that your knowledge about Harley Davidson motorcycles is very limited. I have sold 4 HD's to riders under 30 in the first week of this month alone. Without actually going back and graphing it out I would guess that about 40% of the bikes I have sold are to the 30- riders. (this may not be the case in all areas)

Quote:
Very cool bikes, no question, but you have to admit you are the exception not the rule.
In fact I bet if you knew nothing of motorcycles and went into your local HD dealer you would be pushed away from that $8000 883 and told specifically that it is a beginner's bike or a girl's bike.
This is simply not true. (at least not where I am) The 883 is a small bike but it is not a "girls bike" I would agree it is a good bike for beginners.

I lead people toward (not away from) Sportsters if this is the bike that best fit’s the rider and what they want to do then it is the bike they are guided to.

Why would you think that a customer would be guided away from buying the bike that best meets their needs?

Quote:
BTW, just looked it up. The 883 is about 50 hp at about 600lbs (560) wet @ $8000.00 <<<URBAN ASSAULT TORQUE MONSTER THAT MAKES YOU LOL (55 ft-lbs)

The Suzuki GS500F is 47hp at 439lbs empty (with a windshield and fairing) @ $5200.00 <<< CHEEP air cooled carbed Albeit capable commuter bike that needs to be wound up to even put a smile on your face and looses half its value the moment it leaves the lot and only has 29 ft·lbs of torque. Also 2009 was he last model year they brought to the US.
Colored text- DAKEZ

DAKEZ screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 08:47 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #762
Thanantos
Ride hard.

[QUOTE=DAKEZ;15932512]You are still showing that your knowledge about Harley Davidson motorcycles is very limited. I have sold 4 HD's to riders under 30 in the first week of this month alone. Without actually doing going back and graphing it out I would guess that about 40% of the bikes I have sold are to the 30- riders. (this may not be the case in all areas)

This is simply not true. (at least not where I am) The 883 is a small bike but it is not a "girls bike" I would agree it is a good bike for beginners.

I lead people toward (not away from) Sportsters. If this is the bike that best fit
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #763
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #764
Boston_Sprint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
I don't have a picture BUT yesterday I did see 2 XR1200 riders that were young (20's) at a gas station even in most of the gear., they were leaving as I pulled in. Both bikes were not stock, loud, and one looked to have non-stock rear shocks. SO that bike is getting some interest with the younger demographic.

Rod
Plenty of 20-somethings on some NICE Harleys I see them at the Harley store all the time, I love Harleys so I stop by from time to time. Love ALL bikes.
Boston_Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #765
KaHOnas
One big piston

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I suppose he agrees with you. He decided to reiterate (read: quote) everything you said with no comments of his own. Well done, Dakez! You left him speechless.

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
It's not an adventure unless you lose your pants.
KaHOnas is offline   Reply With Quote