Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #796
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Wrong forum? Racing's over ---------> there.
Yes, Yes... But when the Moco races at Indy for the first time in almost a 100 years I thought it warrented a post in the "What is Harley doing" thread.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #797
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Yes, Yes... But when the Moco races at Indy for the first time in almost a 100 years I thought it warrented a post in the "What is Harley doing" thread.
If they wanted to go racing, why did they kill Buell?
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #798
RMZMZM
Not adventurous

Oddometer: 335
"We can’t survive on our core customers alone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
If they wanted to go racing, why did they kill Buell?
If I recall correctly, it was to focus on their "core customers" and now almost exactly 24 months later the same executive with a multi-million dollar annual salary has concluded that their "core customers" might not be able to sustain the MoCo in the long run.

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...tegoryId=48447

“If we bring out products that make them say, ‘Wow,’ then they’ll know we’re still investing in them,”

I wonder what a golfer thinks will make a motorcyclist say "wow"
RMZMZM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #799
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
This is simply not true. (at least not where I am) The 883 is a small bike but it is not a "girls bike" I would agree it is a good bike for beginners.

Just so you know. I travel for work. All over the Southeast, some Northeast, Arizona, Nevada etc.

I stop in dealers of all brands on a regular basis just to poke around and kill time. Except for the Harley (ex-Buell) dealer in Hickory, NC every Harley salesman that has approached me has tried to turn me to a Softtail, Dyna Etc when I say I'm interested in Sportsters. If a salesman asks me if I currently ride they then ask me "what's an SV, DR, XR?" etc and/or ask me when I'm going to get a real bike or mans bike. All but the Hickory guys without exception have acted like they have no knowledge other bike brands. Real or acting, I have no idea.

I'm glad you and guys at your dealership do things differently, and it would be nice to shop there, but your shop is not the norm by a long shot.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #800
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

A dealership of 'Riders' not HD snobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
I'm glad you and guys at your dealership do things differently, and it would be nice to shop there, but your shop is not the norm by a long shot.
Yes I do believe that George Latus runs a different kind of store. He is a great guy and loves racing. He not only sponsored two bikes in the XR AMA racing series. (3rd & 6th at Daytona and 3rd at Indy) He Began the year sponsoring a Ducati team that won the Daytona 200 and the next three races of the year.

When the AMA caved to the factory backed teams and added too much weight to the bike to allow us to compete we switched to Triumph and will be running two Triumph teams next year.

I met George back in the early 80’s before he ever owned a Harley Davidson Dealership. While there are a few techs that are “Harley Snobs” ... All the other employees are just real riders.

George has a KTM 640, a Triumph 800 XC as well as his Road Glide.
The Service Manager rides his DR650 to work most days.
Our Tech guy has a Ducati Street Fighter,
Our internet sales guy has an airhead Dakar a Concours and a few others…. I could go on an on.

We also take all makes on trade and actively buy bikes from Japan to make sure that new and returning riders have a good selection of lower priced bikes to choose from and good beginner bikes for those who may be small of stature.

A quick summary of how we explain the Harley Line-up

Sportsters = Giggle (fun to ride)
Dyna's = Laugh (fun and travel worthy)
Softails = Smile (the iconic look but do not turn well due to being low with soft suspension)
Touring Bikes = Comfort (Comfortable for travel but heavy for daily use)

We give our best advise as riders and guide our customers to what we honestly feel is best for them. Sometimes they don't listen and buy something other than what we recommended only to come back a week or a month later and say: "I should have listened to you I bought the wrong bike"
We are generally very accommodating to these customers and buy the bike back for what they paid and sell them what they should have bought in the first place. It wins loyalty.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #801
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,085
By God Dakez, that sounds like a bike shop that deserves it's own thread, great posting !

What is Harley doing ? Just fine, thank you !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #802
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Harley is only doing as good as the local dealer you go to is treating you................H-D services varies greatly dealer to dealer.
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #803
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
Harley is only doing as good as the local dealer you go to is treating you................H-D services varies greatly dealer to dealer.
True for all dealerships no matter what make/makes... That is why so many have gone out of business.

There must be over 2000 motorcycle dealerships that have folded since 2008. Some have re-opened. Others ore just done waiting for better days.

(no I do not know the number... Just a guess based on what has taken place in OR)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #804
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,838
Quote:
Yes I do believe that George Latus runs a different kind of store. He is a great guy and loves racing. He not only sponsored two bikes in the XR AMA racing series. (3rd & 6th at Daytona and 3rd at Indy) He Began the year sponsoring a Ducati team that won the Daytona 200 and the next three races of the year.

When the AMA caved to the factory backed teams and added too much weight to the bike to allow us to compete we switched to Triumph and will be running two Triumph teams next year.

I met George back in the early 80’s before he ever owned a Harley Davidson Dealership. While there are a few techs that are “Harley Snobs” ... All the other employees are just real riders.

Our internet sales guy has an airhead Dakar a Concours and a few others…. I could go on an on.

We also take all makes on trade and actively buy bikes from Japan to make sure that new and returning riders have a good selection of lower priced bikes to choose from and good beginner bikes for those who may be small of stature.

Softails = Smile (the iconic look but do not turn well due to being low with soft suspension)

We give our best advise as riders and guide our customers to what we honestly feel is best for them. Sometimes they don't listen and buy something other than what we recommended only to come back a week or a month later and say: "I should have listened to you I bought the wrong bike"
We are generally very accommodating to these customers and buy the bike back for what they paid and sell them what they should have bought in the first place. It wins loyalty.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #805
PapaBravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:

V-Rod = Shit Eating Grin

Fizzed it for ya.
PapaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #806
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Fizzed it for ya.

V-Rod = Shit Eating Grin
If they put that motor into a halfway-ergonomic frame, that would be something.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #807
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
If they put that motor into a halfway-ergonomic frame, that would be something.
... that, unfortunately, no one would buy.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #808
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Fizzed it for ya.
My V-rod does put a shit eating grin on my face, it's the only H-D I ever thought of owning. After waiting over 10 years my wife got me one this past Easter as a gift. I have to take my hat of to H-D, the bike is one the best fit and finished bikes I have ever owned.

I wish H-D would make an RK with that motor, I would get it in a heart beat.
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #809
PapaBravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
My V-rod does put a shit eating grin on my face, it's the only H-D I ever thought of owning. After waiting over 10 years my wife got me one this past Easter as a gift. I have to take my hat of to H-D, the bike is one the best fit and finished bikes I have ever owned.

I wish H-D would make an RK with that motor, I would get it in a heart beat.
I think they have to do a few things to the motor to make it a decent touring platform. I have stroked mine to 1402 cc. and it's now making just over 100 lb-ft of torque... At those levels it would work great, but H-D would have a lot of work to do in the long term reliability dept, although I am regularly thrashing this motor now and no ill effects yet.

The poster above you said it would not sell - I do agree it would not sell to the "Traditional" H-D crowd, but H-D does need to make some radical moves to attract new blood. This would be one way to do that.

PapaBravo screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 05:35 AM Reason: I boneheaded in cu in. instead of cc on the displacement
PapaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #810
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Yes you did.

Quote:
Fizzed it for ya.

... And the sound!!!! It's Music.

(the 2012 VRSCDX is even comfortable. The best yet IMO)

Quote:
The poster above you said it would not sell - I do agree it would not sell to the "Traditional" H-D crowd, but H-D does need to make some radical moves to attract new blood. This would be one way to do that.
Word!