ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #871
996DL
Buell me
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: finally back in paradise...
Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
The new girl is 29.
And probably lap dances for advancement. It's a little known fact, but when KLR production was shifted to Thailand, the Japanese Kawasaki factory workers were forced onto a Chinese container ship, full of Harley parts...

How about that new Dyna Switchback !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #872
PapaBravo
Adventurer
 
PapaBravo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Wild, Wonderful Pennsyltucky
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
NOT parroted myth. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I purchased a brand new 2000 model year 883, H model and it was a GIANT TURD! It handled poorly, vibrated so bad that you could not ride at 75mph for for than a few miles without your hands going numb for hours. The transmission was very cluncky, and sometimes would hang up between gears and grind. The seat was TERRIBLE, you could not ride 60 miles without needing a break. I had to pay $100 to get my leaky valve covers fixed, after the dealership caused the leak! Two times I had to replace the tail light assembly because it broke and fell off, caused by vibration, and that wasn't covered by the warranty. It used large quantities of oil, even though I broke it in exactly as the owners manual stated. But I will give it this, it always ran, and got 50 mpg.

I understand that this was a base model bike, but the quality and overall value of the bike, purchased at $5500, was so poor, that I am now a Harley hater and would never even consider buying another one. I really cant stand cruisers in general, mostly because of that bike and the "image" crowd.

And as for air cooling, it is not a bad thing, my favorite cruiser(Yamaha Warrior) is air cooled, my favorite dirtbike (XR400) is air cooled. And I am quite fond of old airhead BMW's. I even like OLD Harleys for nostalgia's sake. But I am not going to pay 20K for any bike, especially a Harley Davidson.

My Taiwan built KLR 650 is of vastly superior quality and value than that sportster was. IMHO
Your basing your info on a 2000 model HD? You might be well off going to take another look at how things have progressed since the turn of the century
__________________
__________________________________________________ ____
PapaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #873
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Your basing your info on a 2000 model HD? You might be well off going to take another look at how things have progressed since the turn of the century
Well... At least he isn't basing his opinion on things from 30 years ago like so many others do.

I don't understand people that complain about seats. There are only a handful of bikes ever made that I wouldn't modify the seat on and very few that I wouldn't change the suspension on.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #874
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I don't understand people that complain about seats. There are only a handful of bikes ever made that I wouldn't modify the seat on and very few that I wouldn't change the suspension on.
2000 KLR650. Stock seat, stock suspension, 1100 mile day. 2001 Falco, same/same, 850 mile day.

But that's me- and some of the things people say about me- well, they're true.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #875
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,697
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #876
Oh 3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Oh 3's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee, IL
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
NOT parroted myth. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I purchased a brand new 2000 model year 883, H model and it was a GIANT TURD! It handled poorly, vibrated so bad that you could not ride at 75mph for for than a few miles without your hands going numb for hours. The transmission was very cluncky, and sometimes would hang up between gears and grind. The seat was TERRIBLE, you could not ride 60 miles without needing a break. I had to pay $100 to get my leaky valve covers fixed, after the dealership caused the leak! Two times I had to replace the tail light assembly because it broke and fell off, caused by vibration, and that wasn't covered by the warranty. It used large quantities of oil, even though I broke it in exactly as the owners manual stated. But I will give it this, it always ran, and got 50 mpg.

I understand that this was a base model bike, but the quality and overall value of the bike, purchased at $5500, was so poor, that I am now a Harley hater and would never even consider buying another one. I really cant stand cruisers in general, mostly because of that bike and the "image" crowd.

And as for air cooling, it is not a bad thing, my favorite cruiser(Yamaha Warrior) is air cooled, my favorite dirtbike (XR400) is air cooled. And I am quite fond of old airhead BMW's. I even like OLD Harleys for nostalgia's sake. But I am not going to pay 20K for any bike, especially a Harley Davidson.

My Taiwan built KLR 650 is of vastly superior quality and value than that sportster was. IMHO
I have a 1999 sportster 883. I had to replace a primary gasket, had a slight leak. I have no other issues with this bike. Runs great up into 90+ mph.

Yes it vibrates! But nothing I can't tolerate for a days ride
Oh 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #877
Cgirou
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 89
Wow. I against at least a couple people just on this page.. I have an 09 KLR with a Sargent Seat because I wasn't not happy with the stock seat but liked the bike. As for Harley, I am trying to figure out how soon my jeep will be paid off and might just add an Electraglide or Road Glide to my garage. I have ridden 6 Electraglides and 4 '11 Road and Street Glides and want one more every time I demo or rent. Harley's of old and the new line are NOT the same bikes. '

On a side note I will be at the York, Pa plant on Monday and if given the chance I will have to ask what their turnover is like to see what type of answer I get.
Cgirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #878
waveydavey
happy times!!
 
waveydavey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Pulling dragons from the ground again
Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
A good proof read and a little editing is in order..

it is true. harley fans do eat their own.






__________________
"...once the honey was gone he wandered off, farting and too soon satisfied."



FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #879
Cgirou
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Oh come on... Tell me that you understood that.

"I against..." "... wasn't not..."
Wow...That's what I get for posting from my bed while fallling asleep. I is college edumacated... Usually I proof read everything but apparently not this time.. Sorry Dad.
Cgirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #880
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,697


I think I like what you had to say but after reading it three times I am not sure.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #881
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Spudville, Idaho
Oddometer: 710
Still a hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Your basing your info on a 2000 model HD? You might be well off going to take another look at how things have progressed since the turn of the century
I have ridden my Father-in-laws 06 Soft tail many times. While it is quite a bit better than the sportster was, it is still a Harley. I am not a fan. If someone gave me a brand new one I would not ride it, I would sell it and buy two bikes that I actually like.

Part of my anti-harley bias came from when I went to the plant in Milwaukee (I was in town on unrelated business) at 2pm on a weekday to check out the museum and take a tour. I was treated very rudely and told that the plant closes at 2! WTF? Sure as shit, I saw all the union guys packin up and heading out. This was in 2004 when demand for new bikes was ridiculous, and these guys worked a 6 hour day They are all union so they probably only actually worked about 3.5 hours, for a ludicrous salary and benefits package. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.
__________________
"You can have anything you want, but not everything you want."

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #882
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 1,379
They asked for TARP funds and were denied. They then went on a middle level management and line worker purge to reel in their costs, then promptly rewarded executives with big bonuses. Say what you want about them, but they have at least become a "typical" American Corporation. Sadly.
__________________
2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 {SOLD} * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge {SOLD} * 2005 BMW R1200ST {maybe FOR SALE} * 2003 Yamaha PW80 {FOR SALE}
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #883
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,377
This sounds just like where I work (Verizon).
Well, we might have more raw stupidity at the top, but its about the same.

Sad to see Harley going this way, sort of explains why the bikes are going the way they are...
Its all about stock price and bonus size...



Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
My hatred for hardly is for the right reasons; it's personal.

My father in law worked at the York plant. He got laid off from the engineering firm he worked at and his best friends wife worked there and got him in. The level of incompatance and union nonsense would make your head spin. Also only H-D bikes were allowed in the motorcycle lot. If you brought another brand you had to park in the furthest car lot. When the economy turned they asked for bailout funds, black mailed PA into millions in tax relief, killed Buell over ego, made the rank and file take pay and benefit cuts then gave the executives bonuses, and now the biggest kick in the balls, once the plant manager left they started firing everyone loyal to him and brought in a bunch of outsiders. They have also begun laying off and firing anyone over 45. My father in laws best friends wife I spoke of earlier, was there for 15 years. She is the only person with her title in the whole company to get 13 outstanding ratings in those 15 years. Her new boss is from Cascade Paper and has run everyone out of his section and replaced them with friends, family, and former co workers. She was told her position was being eliminated, yet his former secretary was hired for more then she makes, and they told her to train her before she leaves. She is 48. The new girl is 29. My father in law left on his own and went to a defense contractor. A lot of the H-D parts are made in China as well. The whole company can blow up and burn in hell for all I care.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #884
xsthomas
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Coastal North Carolina
Oddometer: 36
I started riding in the early 70's, Buying a Harley has never crossed my mind. I take that back.The XR750 Flat tracker I would own.
xsthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #885
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
SgtDuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
Part of my anti-harley bias came from when I went to the plant in Milwaukee (I was in town on unrelated business) at 2pm on a weekday to check out the museum and take a tour. I was treated very rudely and told that the plant closes at 2! WTF? Sure as shit, I saw all the union guys packin up and heading out. This was in 2004 when demand for new bikes was ridiculous, and these guys worked a 6 hour day They are all union so they probably only actually worked about 3.5 hours, for a ludicrous salary and benefits package. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.
What the hell does this "story" have to do with the whole thing?

You hate HDs because the plant closes at 2 p.m.?! You have nothing more serious than that?



I don't personally like HD bikes but it's because:

1. I'm not into this kind of bike (be it a Honda, HD, Kawa, Victory, name it)
2. I THINK I could have more for my money with a Japanese brand. But it's just me. Can't say for sure, never really tried (only tried a Fat Bob for 3 days). I just don't thing it's the summum of a bike.
3. I'm not into the HoG and HD crowd thing

I don't dislike the brand, I don't care in fact. It doesn't hurt me on a day to day basis. Doesn't hurt me at all actually. And maybe, yeah maybe, I could buy a XR1200 one day.

But you seem to have a big problem with this brand yourself...for suspicious and incomprehensible reasons. I guess it is hiding something...wanna talk about it?
__________________
2010 Buell Ulysses
1984 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter"
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014