Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #91
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,736
i would indeed, but harley is not doing anything for the type of riding i like to do...along with ALOT of others and noobs coming into the adv market.
highland is floundering. atk is going no where. motus might have a cool sport tourer one day but it will be unreall $$$. the reality is there is not much in the way of american motorcycle mfg. except for the 1950s bikes harley makes. kinda sad to the state of our homegrown industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
Some posters in here have no hate for H-D. Some of us would actually prefer to buy a US made motorbike and have the incredible dealer support that H-D offers. But the motor company doesn't make bikes for the way we want to ride. We can still comment on the motor company, can't we?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #92
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Do yourself a favor and go rent one for a weekend. You may well find that you DO NOT want to buy one.

Or, You might like the bloated feel, uninspiring power and that thing they do when accelerating out of a turn with the ill advised motor mounts.

Be careful.

Maybe I will. I am not looking for much power, or I wouldn't be considering a Harley! Handling, whatever its a highway bike. But they make what, 40-60 HP right? Not THAT bad, a lot of guys are riding these huge 650 cc scooters all over on barley 40 HP, that those things weigh far more or as much as than the Sportsters do! And most people say a Sportster will beat them.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #93
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,612
Yes, Sportsters are rated at about 53 hp+/- and those Burgman things are heavy pigs tipping the scales around 35 lbs more than a Sporty.

I have always liked the Sportster. I would recommend that you also try out a Triumph Speed Triple.... You know, just to compare the two.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-28-2011 at 12:06 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #94
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Well, thats it then. I'm putting the Road King up for sale tomorrow. I wish I had consulted with the experts here before I wasted all that time and money.
If I'd only known what a piece of crap it was before I bought it and put 60,000 k on it. My luck must be about to run out. It's either going to explode or my poor riding skills combined with the bikes crappy handling will surely kill me.
If none of that happens at some point one of those robber baron dealers will screw me out of all my money and leave me homeless.
Failing all that, it's only a matter of time before I end up in a drunken 50 pirate pile up on the freeway during a poker run.
It's only a matter of time until Willie G burns Wisconsin down and collects the insurance so he can pay for the contract he put out on Erik Buell. Sure it will look like an accident but we'll all know the truth.

Or... maybe I'll just keep riding my overpriced underpowered ill handling piece of shit because I'm not as hardcore as you Marlboro men. I'm the guy on the Harley with the big shit eating grin. Now that I know how much that pisses off the righteous I may just buy another one.
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #95
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,113
I don't think anybody would argue with you that H-D makes a good bike for its intended purpose. At least I wouldn't. They are great bikes for rolling up highway miles and cruising. My buddy rolls up thousands of miles a year on his E-Glide commuting back and forth from here to SC to visit his grand kids. The bike is comfortable and reliable and looks damned good. And another friend rides a Rocker just for kicks and rides a KLR650 for his DD.

But the OP was lamenting that H-D has nothing to offer somebody looking for a bike that is a bit more sporting and/or youth oriented. And that is absolutely true. H-D at least used to have that pathetic Buell Blast for n00bs. And Buell did offer some fun sporting alternatives using the H-D Sportster motor. I was interested in a Uly. But all that is ancient history now. H-D now has nothing for riders like me and all they offer new riders is a couple of iterations of the Sportster.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:19 AM   #96
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Maybe I will. I am not looking for much power, or I wouldn't be considering a Harley! Handling, whatever its a highway bike. But they make what, 40-60 HP right? Not THAT bad, a lot of guys are riding these huge 650 cc scooters all over on barley 40 HP, that those things weigh far more or as much as than the Sportsters do! And most people say a Sportster will beat them.
Sportsters weigh a LOT for what they are.

Now Drakez's power wobble isn't a problem with the sportsters, as they have a unit construction.

My ex's 1996 Ultra HOLY SHIT, I helped her rebuild this thing, and the first time I rode it I brought it straight home and immediately ordered new shocks, new springs front and back and motor/tranny brace that kept the motor and tranny (roughly) in line with the rest of the damn bike.

Before that it was a big unwieldy wobbling whale bastard. After that it rode fine.

Sportsters aren't ill handling bikes....IF you avoid hugger/low yada yada variants......and find one with mid controls (I HATE forewards) Add 2" to the rear shock and put decent springs all around and a cartridge emulator/heavier fluid up front and you can outride the chassis and surprise the shit out of a few people that think "just a sportster LOL"
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #97
Teaksmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Is the Sportster really that uncomfortable and bad handling? I am buying a Sportster 1200 this year, and want to know.

I know they aren't touring bike stock, so I plan on lots of upgrades, including a seat, highway pegs, bags, truck/other storage, windscreen, etc to make it a reasonable bike to tour on.

As for handling, I DO NOT expect good handling, just like any other Harley, just a "little" bit better. I don't care much as I plan on using it as a highway bike, but like the idea of it being a little bit more numble than your average Ultra Classic.

And yes, I KNOW for a FACT that Harley is not even anywhere CLOSE to going out of business, and NEVER will. But I was basically having a good laugh at the Dark custom idea and wandering if they will come up with anything better.

BTW, I guess the 1125 DOES basically have a souped up V-Rod motor. It was a damn cool bike, to bad they dropped them.
I just bought a used 1200 Custom Sportster a few weeks ago and I can tell you it's not uncomfortable or bad handling at all. I absolutely love it and like you plan to use it for touring, as many people do (just drop by the XL forum or read Cavebiker's threads here).
Teaksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #98
ChainSaw
Ironbutt Wannbe

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
...For the 1125 he got HD to admit they couldn't supply an engine that met his requirements, so he had permission to go buy one. Which he did, from Rotax.
Thanks for saving me from making that correction.

I was starting to think some of these guys have never actually seen a VROD motor...although the 1125 Rotax is a rare sight in the wild.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #99
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,343
I think its more then 125 pounds.
And it FEELS like at least 200 pounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
A 750 that has 3 less horsepower than the 1200 and it weighs 125lbs. less.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #100
ChainSaw
Ironbutt Wannbe

Quote:
Is the Sportster really that uncomfortable and bad handling?...

I know they aren't touring bike stock... reasonable bike to tour on.

As for handling, I DO NOT expect good handling....
Comfort: Highly dependent on the individual, easy to tailor. Change bars for better reach, you can get mid-controls or forward controls, plenty of seat options.

Touring: The fuel range could be better, that aside in my experience they'll do fine for touring. I've seen 49 states, Canada, and Mexico on mine. Longest trip has been 5,000+ miles in 7 days, and did one Iron Butt 1000 on it too. Get saddlebags, a windscreen, and point it in the direction of your choice. Some maps from AAA come in handy too.

Handling: With the addition of Progressive fork springs on the front, and Progressive shocks on the back, I think mine is surprisingly nimble in the twisties. Raised my clearance about 1"-1.5" overall, which keeps me from scraping pegs just about anywhere except Deal's Gap.

I think 'rider ability' and lean-angle are the most limiting factors in HD handling. Google 'police motorcycle video', you'll see what some guys can do on the Ultra Classics.

BTW: When the salesman tries to sell you a bigger bike, remember this formula: HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252. The 1200 Sportster has 60hp, the 103 Cu. In. Road King has 68hp, and it's 200+ lbs. heavier and $10,000 more. There is a reason HD doesn't publish HP numbers on anything except the VROD, but the do publish torque and RPM data.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #101
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,488
^^

Good advise there.

The fuel range with a peanut tank SUCKS, you are around 90 miles total at full tilt, which can be an issue when you are way out west and the fuel spaced 60mile apart.....

Never saw a sportster get that 48MPG they advertise either.....38...maybe....
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #102
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
IIRC the XR1200 has 90 hp.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #103
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloopsrider View Post
I'm the guy on the Harley with the big shit eating grin. Now that I know how much that pisses off the righteous I may just buy another one.
Here you go....

You know, to get the bugs out of your teeth.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #104
ChainSaw
Ironbutt Wannbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post

Under 'Specs and Pricing" on HD site, the XR1200 shows 73.91 ft pounds of torque @ 4000 rpm, which puts it at 56.29 HP. The 1200 Low and 1200 Nightster show higher HP than the XR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
^^
Good advise there....Never saw a sportster get that 48MPG they advertise either.....38...maybe....
Thanks!
Mine has a 3.3 gallon tank, and I've seen above 60mpg running up the east coast on the Blue Ridge Parkway, mostly high 50's on the slab. The absolute worst I've seen in 80,000 miles has been 39mpg, in a headwind thru NM being really heavy handed on the throttle.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #105
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Now Drakez's power wobble isn't a problem with the sportsters, as they have a unit construction.
This is good to know.

It was rather unsettling when it happened to me... More-so because it was my first time on the bike and I had only ridden it for about 10 minutes when it happened. Definitely a sphincter puckering WTF? moment. I am very pleased to hear that they have addressed the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
WOW. Reports are all over the place. I found 56 hp on the 2006 model and a wide range from 65 to 90 hp (as you posted). Now I am truly curious as to just how many ponies they actually have when they roll of the showroom floor.