Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #1066
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
The profits you quoted for Harley are for the last quarter of 2011.

For the year, 2011, Harley made over a half billion dollars.

The profits you quoted for Ducati are annual profits.
. I thought those number looked a lot screwy!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #1067
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
and do you know why it's damn near impossible to run a chroming operation in the u.s.a.?
epa
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #1068
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post

So apparently HD rakes in over 5 times the profits of one of advriders favorite manufacturers and the inmates here wonder why HD doesn't fall all over itself following their advice??
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #1069
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
So apparently HD rakes in over 5 times the profits of one of advriders favorite manufacturers and the inmates here wonder why HD doesn't fall all over itself following their advice??

Old 01-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #1070
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
How the hell does Ducati make $102 million?
The same way HD does... brand merchandise.

I saw something about Ducati's last financials; The US is now the largest market, and half the profit coming out of the US is in branded merchandise.

Ducati truly is the Italian Harley Davidson.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #1071
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post

That explains the valve adjustments. -------------
Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #1072
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Wow, I didnt relize they was doin that well!

Actually, lately H-D prices are pretty decent. Hondas the ones thats gonna outprice them selves. But they really don't care cause there moneys in the cars and others in America. But they'll probably doing well, just a little pricy the Goldwing and such is now $23K not bad but still more than an Electra Glide, it used to be like $19K or $20K.

But yep, Harleys here to stay Y'all! Well, MAYBE there is a time when H-D will fade away, maybe when we run out of gas! That may be 100 years though, but still, no more V-Twin=Probably no more Harley. Or maybe they'll be something. But, Harleys here to stay! Like it or not!

There bikes are good bikes. People say they's shit but face it they ain't. There well built and designed. Ever ridden a Softail? Smooth as fuck. Sportsters are decent priced, the Shadow 750 is not much less by maybe $1K or less more expensive, and the new 750s are slow bikes, underpowered only 43 HP vs the Sporty's 50-55 HP or so for the 883 and 65 or something like that for the 1200. But also a little money can get big gains on H-Ds.

As far as the others go, Harleys are usually only $1,000-$2,000 over the price of Jap bikes, not a real big deal when your spending $13K vs $15K on a bike anyways.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #1073
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,373
Quote:

I saw something about Ducati's last financials; The US is now the largest market, and half the profit coming out of the US is in branded merchandise.

Harley's 2010 financials show 6.2% of income was general merchandise and parts and accessories was 17.9%. So if half the profit of Ducati is branded merchandise they are selling a butt load (as a %) more t-shirts than HD.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #1074
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
As far as the others go, Harleys are usually only $1,000-$2,000 over the price of Jap bikes, not a real big deal when your spending $13K vs $15K on a bike anyways.
When you look into the pricing 6 months (or a year or 5 years or 10...) after new the Harley pricing looks pretty damn good.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #1075
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,840
Quote:

I think Ducati makes most of it's profit on valve adjustments.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #1076
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

In 2011 80% of the metric bikes sold in the US were 2010 or older.

In 2011 20% of the Harley Davidson bikes sold in the US were 2010 or older.

It is January and I have one (1) 2011 Harley left on the floor. (and a very nice selection of 2012's)
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #1077
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

The quality & desirability of Harley Davidson may be debatable but one thing is pretty clear. They have done a better job than anyone else marketing and supporting their products. They are selling more than motorcycles. They are selling image and a "way of life" When you buy a Harley you instantly become member of a huge club. It is easy to find all kinds of Harley events and through the events lots of like minded Harley riding friends. This is appealing to a lot of people.

Buy a Japanese bike and you are much more on your own. Yes, the dealer will sell you accessories and service your bike. The dealer may even host a couple of poker runs or club events a year but nothing compared to what you get with a Harley. Sure there are some exceptions. There are some really great Non Harley dealers that offer a lot more than Sales, accessories and service, but from my experience they are more the exception rather than the rule. Even the European brand dealers don't do as well as Harley in this respect (in general).

In many parts of the country (those parts with straight, boring roads ), it is difficult to find like minded riders if you don't ride a Harley. The internet is making it easier but it is still a problem. If I lived in the middle of Kansas, or southern Florida I might be tempted to get a Harley............or not.

I realize that many inmates on the forum don't care about this sort of stuff, they can find adventure and satisfaction on their bikes without dealer and club support. The average biker/rider is not like the average ADV rider. Many riders won't wander off the beaten path or even do much riding by themselves. I have occasionally gone riding with more casual riders. It always amazed me that they would just cruise the boring main roads while bypassing all kinds of interesting back roads. I sold Kawasakis and Yamahas for a while in N. Georgia. It always amazed me how many customers had never ridden, or even heard of the great riding not too far away in the Mountains to the North.

I'm not trying to stereotype any kind of riders. There are some seriously adventuresome Harley riders (read a RTW Doug ride report ), as well as some GS riders who never leave the pavement. My point is that Harley has been successfully marketing their products by offering what a high percentage of the people want. A superior product will not always sell better and not everyone has the same idea of what a superior product is. Superior marketing will almost always sell more product. Too many non Harley riders are trying to judge Harley by what they want in a bike.

BTW, I don't own a Harley, never have and most likely never will. I do think that the other Brands could learn something from Harley.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #1078
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Very true klav, and I will say HD (and BMW) does a very good job of simply getting people on their bikes.

Japanese dealers are terrible about this. In my experience test rides on Japanese bikes are a no go and that often includes used bikes as well .

At both HD and BMW dealers I have always felt comfortable riding any bike I like.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #1079
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Very true klav, and I will say HD (and BMW) does a very good job of simply getting people on their bikes.

Japanese dealers are terrible about this. In my experience test rides on Japanese bikes are a no go and that often includes used bikes as well .

At both HD and BMW dealers I have always felt comfortable riding any bike I like.
I have only owned one BMW but the dealer let me take a couple of bikes I was interested in on several hour long test rides. The KAW/YAM dealer I worked at had a Demo Stratoliner but other than that only allowed demo's of used bikes.

Also, if you buy a Harley you can buy pretty much everything you need to complete your "image" Many Japanese dealers carry a bare minimum of accessories and riding gear. At the dealer I worked, you could get a bike and Helmet but good luck finding a jacket or gloves that fit.

The biggest problem with BMW and other European dealers is that they are few and far between. Harley on the other hand has dealers everywhere and has even put dealers in places where there are a lot of riders such as the start of the Cherohala Skyway.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #1080
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori

Well, the spirit of my numbers is still valid, even if I suck at accounting. HD is killin' it with profits compared to other manufacturers. Even if they don't fit my tastes, I'm still glad to see an American company doing well.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote