ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #1546
lddave
been there
 
lddave's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Frydek, Texas
Oddometer: 479
Texas Adventure Riders

Welcome Bender I live southwest of you . Spending the weekend in the hill country in May.
__________________
Dave
IBA 178
lddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #1547
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
As of April 21, 2011 I will officially become a Texas Advrider. I will be based out of Cypress and am going to try my hardest to make it to THC this year. Any of y'all that are close, I'd be glad to hear from you. This is gonna be a whole new world for me!
Well, if you are settled in and have the weekend free to ride, head NE and come have some pie with us! There is also a regular bike night in NW Houston. We also have a weekly bike night down in the Montgomery/Conroe area (maybe 30 minutes from you).

If you just want to get out and explore, there are lots of little backroads to the NW, N and NE of you. I am up in Huntsville (about an hour from you), right off I-45. If you like, shoot me a PM and I can email you some GPS tracks of some of the DS riding in this area. If you have a dirt bike that is trail worthy, there are lots of fun trails in the Sam Houston Natl Forest around the North end of Lake Conroe. There are quite a few folks that like to do weekend rides.
__________________
Scott Friday
05 BMW R1200 GS - 10 KTM 530 EXC

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #1548
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Oddometer: 1,054
Also keep an eye on this event! Should be a blast. I just hope I can make it this year

TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY:II The RIDERS STRIKE BACK 10/28-10/30/11
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586403

http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
__________________
Scott Friday
05 BMW R1200 GS - 10 KTM 530 EXC

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #1549
super8mm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
super8mm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: DFW
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Also keep an eye on this event! Should be a blast. I just hope I can make it this year

TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY:II The RIDERS STRIKE BACK 10/28-10/30/11
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586403

http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
I hope to do this one too this year, I sent my down payment to RawHyde Saturday as they are doing a class where i was going in July anyway
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #1550
Old crawler
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 9
dualsport west of Houston

I am in west Houston and ride at least once a month in the area between Houston and La Grange. All public roads but many not paved.
Old crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #1551
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98
 
thebigman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old crawler View Post
I am in west Houston and ride at least once a month in the area between Houston and La Grange. All public roads but many not paved.

PM sent Old crawler
__________________
Marko

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #1552
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet
 
veriest1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Central Tejas
Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old crawler View Post
I am in west Houston and ride at least once a month in the area between Houston and La Grange. All public roads but many not paved.
It's more North of Houston but are you familiar with the area around Sam Houston National Forest? I'm in Lufkin most of the year and have been contemplating some rides out there.

The area west of I45 doesn't look bad either.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #1553
swdirtrider
Adventurer
 
swdirtrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Northern Colorado
Oddometer: 24
Just getting into DS riding. 09 KLR and KLX. Live in NE Houston in Kingwood. Looking for anybody thats up for riding during the week. Unfortunately I work almost every weekend, so if anybody else is up for weekday riding let me know. Looking to find some of the dirt roads around the area. I have made my way out to SHNF quite a few times in the last year, just looking for some new areas for the KLR.
-Dave
swdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #1554
KnobblyOne
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 10
I have become a bit of a dual sport and adventure riding addict and just wish I had more time. I am located in Houston within 6 miles of downtown, so it takes a little effort to get to the good roads and trails, but I am always up for it. Currently I have a DR250 (soon to be 349) that has taken me all over Texas (as well as parts of New Mexico and Colorado) and a plated CRF450X. This year's event list includes the Sept 3-5 Arkansas ride, the TRH Terlingua ride in November, Roll the Bones in October, and (hopefully) a re-do of the EasTex 450. Still looking for weekend rides in THC (Junction) and maybe down toward the beach.

If anyone has a half-baked plan, I am in.
KnobblyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #1555
bikejones
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bikejones's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Nowhere else but Texas!
Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikejones View Post
Howdy!

I'm not new to Texas, as I was born, raised and will surely die here.

I'm not new to dirt sports either...but that's another story.

I am new to dual sport and adventure riding. I've been hangin out at the XL600 thread and just now started looking around for the regional threads.

For now, I have my bike set up for riding the single track and 4-wheeler trails and old dirt roads around my neighborhood.

Here's a pic of my bike.....although I'm still 'KicKin' it old's cool, I plan to get my MC license soon and join up with some of you on some rides.




Adios!
Well..... as of Tuesday last week I'm 100% legal to ride on the road.

I took a short ride today of about 50 miles and it sure felt fine.

Are there any regular, or irregular, rides in the Austin/Central Texas area?
bikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #1556
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet
 
veriest1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Central Tejas
Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by swdirtrider View Post
Just getting into DS riding. 09 KLR and KLX. Live in NE Houston in Kingwood. Looking for anybody thats up for riding during the week. Unfortunately I work almost every weekend, so if anybody else is up for weekday riding let me know. Looking to find some of the dirt roads around the area. I have made my way out to SHNF quite a few times in the last year, just looking for some new areas for the KLR.
-Dave
I haven't made it down that way yet. Is there a road in SHNF you'd like to recommend?

I'm not sure about what's to the west but the Angelina National Forest has a lot of dirt roads. This was taken near Boykin Springs Lake.

veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #1557
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer
 
K_N_Fodder's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Ten Sleep, WY
Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikejones View Post
Well..... as of Tuesday last week I'm 100% legal to ride on the road.

I took a short ride today of about 50 miles and it sure felt fine.

Are there any regular, or irregular, rides in the Austin/Central Texas area?
Hey man, cool bike! Did I see that at Zabor's awhile back? I had an XL250 of the same vintage.

Lots of DS riders in Austin. Most hang out on Two Wheeled Texans or on Ride Dual Sport. The Austin crew is a good group of guys, and you'll see quite a few of us on Thursdays at 11:30 at Billy's on Burnet. If you make it to next Thursday I'll get a chance to meet you, otherwise not because it's my "last lunch" prior to packing up and moving to Oregon.

Take it easy and have fun!
Justin
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #1558
bikejones
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bikejones's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Nowhere else but Texas!
Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Hey man, cool bike! Did I see that at Zabor's awhile back? I had an XL250 of the same vintage.

Lots of DS riders in Austin. Most hang out on Two Wheeled Texans or on Ride Dual Sport. The Austin crew is a good group of guys, and you'll see quite a few of us on Thursdays at 11:30 at Billy's on Burnet. If you make it to next Thursday I'll get a chance to meet you, otherwise not because it's my "last lunch" prior to packing up and moving to Oregon.

Take it easy and have fun!
Justin
Thanks for the additional forum suggestions Justin, I'll check'em out.

The guy I got this bike from said the previous owner had the top end rebuilt recently at Zabors.

Of course when I called Zabor to ask some questions, I got the typical Zabor third degree....Why do you want to buy a 25 year old bike? I haven't had a bike like that in here in years! CLICK (sound of phone hanging up) I like it when people are direct and tell you what is on their minds.

Don't know if I can make it to Billy's that soon but good luck in Oregon.
bikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #1559
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dejr2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Haslet,TX
Oddometer: 347
I'm in the north DFW area near Texas Motor Speedway and would be interested in meeting up for some D/S riding. For now anything I can tackle on my 990 Adventure, may add a lighter D/S in the future but for now it'll have to do.
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #1560
tapper
rider
 
tapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: East Texas
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
It's more North of Houston but are you familiar with the area around Sam Houston National Forest? I'm in Lufkin most of the year and have been contemplating some rides out there.

The area west of I45 doesn't look bad either.
If you do something out SHNF way, hit me up. I'm in Groveton, and I've been wanting to head that way too.
__________________
"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire (but in French)

Currents: '84 GL1200 Cafe Project, '01 250 MXC, '04 400EX, & '09 KLR 650
tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014