Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #1846
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,638
If you haven't been to big bend then I would say go for it, but as mentioned it will be hot. I would just loop it through, exit the slab at ft stockton down to marathon on 385 and in to the park, ride up to chisos basin and then make my way west to study butte then north to alpine on 118. I would consider spending the night in ft davis, and maybe going to the mcdonald observatory.

The observatory is on one of the top 5 roads in texas, you can make a loop out of that too and pick up a second top 5 road, 166

On the return leg you might want to stop at balmorrhea springs.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #1847
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR View Post
Would it be worth planning an excursion to Big Bend and making this a 2 day trip? Any lodging nearby Big Bend? Any "big bike" friendly tracks out there for Big Bend?

Most certainly worth it! There aren't a lot of options for paved roads through the park so it's easy to navigate the main loop. From Study Butte/Terlingua take 170 west all the way to Ruidoso and do Pinto Canyon Road. The main road through the park is scenic and a decent ride. Then there are numerous good spots on the paved 170 and it is fast. And Pinto Canyon is an outstanding dirt road as you can observe in my report here: The Pinto Canyon Climb.
At the end of Pinto Canyon I would shoot up to Ft. Davis and do 118. As mentioned, it is one of THE BEST twisty roads in Texas.

Your route may go something like this (with side trips into Chisos Basin and Santa Elena Canyon as WoodButcher mentioned):

View Larger Map
TXjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #1848
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR View Post
Hello all,

I'm from Baton Rouge, LA and heading toward NM to do the CDR on my Super Tenere in a few days.

I am staying with friends in Austin and the second day of my trip is from Austin to Las Cruce, NM (about 9hrs by slab).

Would it be worth planning an excursion to Big Bend and making this a 2 day trip? Any lodging nearby Big Bend? Any "big bike" friendly tracks out there for Big Bend?

Thanks in advance!

Andy
I'd do it. Keep in mind though that the fun route will be close to 1000 miles. But on the Tenere 1200, it should be no problem. Here is a Garmin (GDB) file with two routes. In case you can't view it, the KMZ is a Google Earth file with the same routes. Just right click, save as.

http://twtex.com/linkfiles/misc/Austin-LasCruces.gdb

http://twtex.com/linkfiles/misc/Austin-LasCruces.kmz

Personally, I think Route 3 would be the most fun. FM 1341 between Comfort and Kerrville is a blast. Lots of tight corners and fast elevation changes. Hwy 27 West out of Kerrville is very scenic as it follows the river and as you get out of town it is a lot of fun because it has lots of tight corners and fast elevation changes. Hwy 187 down to Vanderpool is fast and open. Just before Vanderpool is the Lone Start Motorcycle Museum, lots of really cool bikes and run by a really cool Aussie guy. From Vanderpool you run a nice section of FM 337 over to Leakey (say it like Lakey). Stop in at the Frio Canyon Bike Stop for lunch/t-shirts. Get gas in Leakey. Head up FM 336, West over to the top of FM 335, then down 335 to Hwy 55. You will have now completed a nice portion of the "Twisted Sisters", FMs 335. 336. and 337, probably the most twisty and technical paved roads in all of Texas. Watch for loose livestock, cow patties and cattle guards. Have fun but BE CAREFUL as the area is very remote and any help would be a long time coming... If you see any warning signs stating 20mph corner (or less) TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY! Hwy 55 out toward Rocksprings has fantastic banked double lane sweepers. The speed limit is 55mph, but I promise you will be going faster than that I left out FM 674 from Rocksprings to Brackettville, It is a really nice ride and doesn't really take you far out of the way. Can be run at 70mph with no problems.

Once you reach Del Rio on US 90, it is all slab to Marathon. GET GAS in Del Rio. If you do the Rocksprings-Comstock loop, get gas in Rocksprings. You might even consider carrying a little 1 gallon spare tank on the back of the bike. If it is windy along 90, which if not uncommon, your average mpg can take a hit.

Once you are in the Big Bend NP, watch your speed. It is 45 mph on all paved roads and 25 mph on all unpaved roads. They are patrolled and they do write tickets. The main road drops you at Panther Junction, which is where the park HQ is located and you can get gas if you need/want. The little dog leg to the West of that is The Basin. This is a nice tight fun road that climbs up to about 5000 feet. There is a nice lodge up there where you can get lunch and enjoy the view. Camping is also available. The big loop West of that takes you down to Santa Elena Canyon, which is cool. It is a fun ride, most of it paved until you reach the South end of Maverick Rd. That road is wide and maintained, so you should have no problem. When you leave the West side of the park, you will come to Study Butte. There is food, gas, and lodging here. When you head West on Hwy 170 a few miles, you come to Terlingua. If you stay in either Study Butte or Terlingua, you have to hang out on the Front Porch of the general store and have a beer. You can eat at the Starlight Theater or several other places in town. Just off the West edge of town on 170 is a Pizza place that looks like a shack. Great pizza! The Chisos Motel or the Eldorado are both nice places to stay.

Hwy 170 to Presidio is called the River Road. All paved, very scenic and lots of fun to ride. Watch for the wild horses... At Presidio, you can turn North to Marfa, or... you can continue West on 170 and run Pinto Canyon Road. Most of Pinto Canyon is unpaved but wide and maintained. There is a short section that is narrow, a little rougher, and kind of steep, but people have been known to do it on Goldwings and the like... So the Tenere should have no issues. On the North side of the mountains, it becomes a paved FM and runs up to Marfa. Pinto Canyon is worth doing if you have the time.

Keep in mind when riding in ALL of these parts of West Texas that you will be in very remote places. Cell signal is iffy at best once you get away from a town. Emergency services will be slow in responding. So ride accordingly.

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #1849
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
Yea, I would recommend a trip to Big Bend between October and April. It is a very hot place in the summer and don't let the marketing fool you. The temperatures are extreme, sometimes you can get into elevation and it helps, normally the Basin is much cooler, but not always. The closer you are to the river the worse it gets.

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #1850
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphorde View Post
Yea, I would recommend a trip to Big Bend between October and April. It is a very hot place in the summer and don't let the marketing fool you. The temperatures are extreme, sometimes you can get into elevation and it helps, normally the Basin is much cooler, but not always. The closer you are to the river the worse it gets.
Without a doubt it will get hot. But then, the same is true of pretty much ANYWHERE in West Texas in the summer If you are sticking to pavement and relatively easy dirt, then I would not be too worried about it. Get a 3 liter camelbak. Carry some extra water and food. Ride. Now, there is NO WAY I would recommend the more technical stuff out there where your speeds would be lower and the likelihood of a get off is much higher.

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #1851
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Without a doubt it will get hot. But then, the same is true of pretty much ANYWHERE in West Texas in the summer If you are sticking to pavement and relatively easy dirt, then I would not be too worried about it. Get a 3 liter camelbak. Carry some extra water and food. Ride. Now, there is NO WAY I would recommend the more technical stuff out there where your speeds would be lower and the likelihood of a get off is much higher.
I am headed west June 27 and I plan to ride into the night to beat the heat...Just make sure you have good lights
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #1852
lddave
been there

Oddometer: 479
There is 24 hour gas in Sanderson and 3 cheap motels also . I stay at the one on the west side of town across from the store . It has an old Yamaha motorcycle under the sign .

Dave
Old 06-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #1853
NMDesertRider
BOLLOCKS!!

Oddometer: 528
Don't forget to ride to Black Gap WMA and say hi to Billy at the end of the road...bring him a sixxer and he'll show you around his shop (cool race bikes) and maybe let you drag race on his landing strip.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #1854
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDesertRider View Post
Don't forget to ride to Black Gap WMA and say hi to Billy at the end of the road...bring him a sixxer and he'll show you around his shop (cool race bikes) and maybe let you drag race on his landing strip.
Where is this?

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #1855
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,114
I think he's talking about the road just outside the BBNP. To the east. I have seen the sign for the WMA and the road , just never had a reason till now to check it out.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 09:51 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #1856
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I think he's talking about the road just outside the BBNP. To the east. I have seen the sign for the WMA and the road , just never had a reason till now to check it out.
Ahhh... I see it now. Have never been over that way. Looks interesting...

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #1857
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 284
Red river

Wanting to ride red river sat morning. Anyone in?
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #1858
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Just checking in. Am available MOST Saturdays for Hill Country Rides, know my way around most of the dirt between Bandera and Junction and can get wonderously lost in the dirt between F'sburg and Llano. Heading out to the Blue Ridge Parkway next week for 10 days or so. Stopping in at the San Antonio Beer Night, Las Glorias, 6/25.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #1859
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Wanting to ride red river sat morning. Anyone in?

Hey JT, I was actually planning on riding there Sunday (wife is busy all day)
But I may be able to do Sat instead. I am not in shape to do all day riding yet, and it is supposed to be a scorcher this weekend. What time will you try to be there?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #1860
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Black Gap WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Where is this?
hey scott

goto

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...wma/list/?id=2

shiny side up