Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #1876
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapabq View Post
Hey guys!

I'm relocating from New Mexico to the San Antonio area next month. I'll be living on the north side of town in the Stone Oak area. Any riding groups/events I should know about?

Cheers!!
Events? Not at the moment but if you keep an eye on TWT, you'll see where Sander Avant schedules Hill Country dual-sport rides from time to time. His rides usually start from Castroville and head for places a couple hundred miles away. Great rides, lots of fun, some over-nighters, some day rides.

Then there is a small group of us in the Pipe Creek/Medina Lake area that get together from time to time. We mostly ride KLRs but there is a Tiger in the midst (mist?)
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #1877
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,427
October events

I'm attending three great events next month, The East Texas 450 dualsport on TWT, The Harvest Classic Vintage MC show in Luckenbach (very near SA), and Roll the Bones ADV Rally in Hamilton. Busy month!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #1878
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
I'm attending three great events next month, The East Texas 450 dualsport on TWT, The Harvest Classic Vintage MC show in Luckenbach (very near SA), and Roll the Bones ADV Rally in Hamilton. Busy month!
Jet Set !

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #1879
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Eastern TX Adventures?

Hey All:
Looks like I'm going to be living in Houston area but retaining a home in my current state of Idaho for a while. Should I bring my 950 Adventure to TX or leave it in ID for a occasional trip back? I have aftermarket pipes so if cat's are required for Houston Smog check that could be an issue.
My desired riding is 300+ mi/day with most say 200mi on dirt roads - so not likely in eastern TX or am I wrong?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #1880
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewestKTM View Post
Hey All:
Looks like I'm going to be living in Houston area but retaining a home in my current state of Idaho for a while. Should I bring my 950 Adventure to TX or leave it in ID for a occasional trip back? I have aftermarket pipes so if cat's are required for Houston Smog check that could be an issue.
My desired riding is 300+ mi/day with most say 200mi on dirt roads - so not likely in eastern TX or am I wrong?
Bring the 950. If you don't you'll wish you did because of the distances you will have to ride to get to the playground. There is no smog check on moto's in TX. Only lights, blinkers, brake lights, horn, and brake check.

There is a good bit of dirt within 20 to 30-ish miles of outer Houston area on West and NorthWest sides, but you have to work at it to get some extended mileage. Will have hard time doing 200 in a day and staying in the general area, but I've found a lot of Farm roads on the West side and you can go 100+ West on dirt and ride it back, but it'll be a LONG day of riding. Also, most of the roads are straight as an arrow, but that's because everything here is private property and the roads follow the property lines, but if you get out into the hill country that all changes.

Look us up when you get here.....
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #1881
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Jet Set !
I better see you at two of them at least!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #1882
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
I better see you at two of them at least!
I'm bringing my 250 and expect an Epic Ride at RTB following you!

I'll have to work on Kitchen Passes for more of them. I kind of stretched the Boss Lady's good will in the last few weeks.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #1883
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

hill country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneggz View Post
Bring the 950. If you don't you'll wish you did because of the distances you will have to ride to get to the playground. There is no smog check on moto's in TX. Only lights, blinkers, brake lights, horn, and brake check.

There is a good bit of dirt within 20 to 30-ish miles of outer Houston area on West and NorthWest sides, but you have to work at it to get some extended mileage. Will have hard time doing 200 in a day and staying in the general area, but I've found a lot of Farm roads on the West side and you can go 100+ West on dirt and ride it back, but it'll be a LONG day of riding. Also, most of the roads are straight as an arrow, but that's because everything here is private property and the roads follow the property lines, but if you get out into the hill country that all changes.

Look us up when you get here.....
"Hill country" tell me more what and how far?
Thanks
Old 09-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #1884
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
"Hill country" tell me more what and how far?
Thanks
Texas Hill Country. Check out Butler Maps. Also, if you are in Houston and headed to the THC you won't start getting into it until you get into the Austin area or the other side of San Antonio. Draw an imaginary line between those two cities and that's basically where the hill country starts With that being said it's a 2.5 to 3 hour run from Houston to any of the THC.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #1885
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneggz View Post
Texas Hill Country. Check out Butler Maps. Also, if you are in Houston and headed to the THC you won't start getting into it until you get into the Austin area or the other side of San Antonio. Draw an imaginary line between those two cities and that's basically where the hill country starts With that being said it's a 2.5 to 3 hour run from Houston to any of the THC.
good info
I'll get back to you when things are firmed up, but I think I'll get another bike so I can leave the 950 in ID. May be a Wee Strom or Versy
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #1886
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Hey All:
Bring it. Now that high summer is over, its comfy to ride in full gear. Check in at TWTx for dual-sport rides.

No worry with pipes. If you plan on registering the bike in TX (not necessary if you are keeping residency in Idaho, but there is no income tax in TX ), you will need a safety inspection, but no emission test. The inspection is a joke.

Which part of Houston will you be in? Its kind of a big place...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #1887
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
good info
I'll get back to you when things are firmed up, but I think I'll get another bike so I can leave the 950 in ID. May be a Wee Strom or Versy
PM sent
Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #1888
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
Bring it. Now that high summer is over, its comfy to ride in full gear. Check in at TWTx for dual-sport rides.

No worry with pipes. If you plan on registering the bike in TX (not necessary if you are keeping residency in Idaho, but there is no income tax in TX ), you will need a safety inspection, but no emission test. The inspection is a joke.

Which part of Houston will you be in? Its kind of a big place...
Looking for apartments in/near Katy then I think I'll look for a WeeStrom or Versy - Got to have something to ride when I vacation in Idaho.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #1889
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Looking for apartments in/near Katy then I think I'll look for a WeeStrom or Versy - Got to have something to ride when I vacation in Idaho.
You need to be looking for a thumper. You'll be 30 miles from the Forest!

But if you do get a street bike, especially the DS kind, and are here weekend before Halloween then be sure to come hang out in Hamilton with us (see sig).
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #1890
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Hey All:
I used to live in the Woodlands (North Side of Houston). I'd bring the 950 and head north on 45 toward Huntsville. There are a lot of fire roads (lots of sand) and then head toward Trinlady Park, lots of sandy roads. If you just get out and do a little exploring in the Big Thicket, you'll find there are a lot of places to take the 950 and have a good 200 to 300 miles adventure. Go out around the Trinity River and Lake Livingston area and you'll find great riding.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote