Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2005, 04:11 AM   #196
turbohawk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
*sigh* It would help if I had someone to ride with more often I don't have any DS riding buddies nearby that can ride after work and I always either have a big street ride planned or have to work every weekend.

Adios,
Tourmeister! Ride with me! Ride with me!

Seriously, I posted a message about Davy Crockett National forest, isn't that in your neck of the woods? Another KLR rider buddy of mine and I are planning to investigate it for a few days during the last week of April (plan to camp unless we wuss out). Of course the place could totally suck but we don't know that yet.

Plans right now are to get out there on Monday morning and stay through wednesday just exploring all the trails/dirt roads we can find. Plans could change if I get some info that talks us into foregoing the expidition and we decide to head west instead...but three days is three days...and west texas is BIG...not that east isnt...hehe.
turbohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:09 AM   #197
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Turbo, where are you located?

I can point you to some areas that have some fun roads. Unfortunately, the REALLY good stuff is usually on private property, often big deer leases or timber company property with all the logging roads. I won't be able to play during the day on weekdays except for maybe a few evenings, which won't leave enough time to get over to the Davy Crockett NF. However, there are a bunch of single track dirtbike trails in the Sam Houston NF right here by Huntsville around Lake Conroe. I've never run them though, the GS is a tad big for them

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #198
Hop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Another DFW area rider checking in. I actually live in Bonham and work in Plano. I just picked up a BRP and I have the KTM Adventure as well. I am open for DS rides if anyone has one planned. I have been to Big Bend many times to ride Bicycles but have not yet taken a DS ride out that way. I may get a chance later this year.
Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #199
turbohawk
Adventurer

Quote:
Turbo, where are you located?

I can point you to some areas that have some fun roads. Unfortunately, the REALLY good stuff is usually on private property, often big deer leases or timber company property with all the logging roads. I won't be able to play during the day on weekdays except for maybe a few evenings, which won't leave enough time to get over to the Davy Crockett NF. However, there are a bunch of single track dirtbike trails in the Sam Houston NF right here by Huntsville around Lake Conroe. I've never run them though, the GS is a tad big for them

Adios,
I live near Round Rock, which is just north of Austin. A friend of mine wanted to see if there is anything worth seeing at Davy Crockett NF and I said we can find out. Since we only have 3 days it doesn't give us a whole lotta time to drive to our favorite west texas riding spots. Sam Houston is an option but a bit further away.

I wish I had the time off to do Baja with my other buddies end of this month. Drats.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #200
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Thanks for the nice ride report and the great pictures. Also, thanks for the nice review of the KLR650 a few posts north. I am putting the TKC80's on my 1150GS and getting ready for a ride to Arkansas next month, doing a section of the trans-american trail.

Since we are so close, I would like to do some dirt trailes with you at some point. My calendar is booked up with things for the next few months...

Thanks for the information about the KLR.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #201
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Turbohawk,

I think the SHNF is closer than the Davy Crockett. There are tons of trails around the Lake Conroe area:

West side of the Lake

East side of the Lake

I think you have to register with the NF service on FM 1375 a few miles West of I-45. It is something like $20 for a year. Also, the trails are closed in wet weather so you need to either call or check the NF website (no idea what the link is...)

If you are looking to do more dirt roads and stuff, I can set you up with tons of stuff here in the Huntsville area. It would include sand, mud, gravel, clay, pine needles, etc,... Enough to keep you busy for a few days (about 250 miles per day).

If you go further East into the area North of US 190 and East of US 59, there are lots of little roads. I would not try to explore many of them without a GPS. After a short while they all start looking alike and getting lost back in the woods is a definite possibility, hehe. The Garmin Topo maps show most all of the roads, all the way down to the little cow trails across pastures...

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 04-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #202
turbohawk
Adventurer

Thanks Tourmeister for the maps and you're right, SHNF is closer than DCNF. Well, I'm gonna show my friend the maps and let him decide. I'm pretty easy when it comes to riding and where.

We're kind of leaning towards DCNF since nobody has done a report from it.

Peace out.

Dave
Old 04-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #203
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Howdy,

Looking over the maps, it looks like the area between Crockett and Lufkin, bounded by US 287, Tx 21, US 69 and TX 94, had TONS of great little backroads to explore. Most of the FM's in that area are ho hum though. Although, Hwy 21 is a really nice ride. I hope you guys like riding in sand. That area has a LOT of it! Should be real fun! Usually the best roads, those with nice elevation changes and curves, are going to be near the creeks and rivers. Everything else tends to be flat and straight.

Do you guys have a definite date yet? What bikes will you be riding? How many of you will there be?

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 04-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #204
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,312
Hey Scott, thanks for the TROH link, didn't know of it's existance. I sure want to get up and putt around in the piney woods soon (before it gets to hot). Maybe I should follow ThirdCoast's lead and put some TKS 80s on the 12.

When ya headin out west?

Try this for NF pass info. http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/passes/
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #205
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

DS, we're heading to Big Bend in two weeks. Gonna head to Austin on Thu night, get up early Friday and haul out there. Stay in Alpine, do some DS riding Sat, then haul back home on Sunday. I hope the weather cooperates!

Anyone been out there in the last week or two? Have they got Hwy 170 repaved yet between Study Butte and Presidio??

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 04-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #206
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,312
Geesh dude, you'r on a GS, I assume you are hoping it isn't
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:28 PM   #207
Stromboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I was out there week before last. I can't say about 170 between Presidio & Lajitas, but they are still working on it between Study Butte & Lajitas.
BTW, the desert flowers are awsome right now!

Randy

Quote:
DS, we're heading to Big Bend in two weeks. Gonna head to Austin on Thu night, get up early Friday and haul out there. Stay in Alpine, do some DS riding Sat, then haul back home on Sunday. I hope the weather cooperates!

Anyone been out there in the last week or two? Have they got Hwy 170 repaved yet between Study Butte and Presidio??

Adios,
Stromboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #208
turbohawk
Adventurer

Quote:
Howdy,

Looking over the maps, it looks like the area between Crockett and Lufkin, bounded by US 287, Tx 21, US 69 and TX 94, had TONS of great little backroads to explore. Most of the FM's in that area are ho hum though. Although, Hwy 21 is a really nice ride. I hope you guys like riding in sand. That area has a LOT of it! Should be real fun! Usually the best roads, those with nice elevation changes and curves, are going to be near the creeks and rivers. Everything else tends to be flat and straight.

Do you guys have a definite date yet? What bikes will you be riding? How many of you will there be?

Adios,
Supposed to go April 25th-27th. We'll be on KLR's. 2 of us so far.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #209
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
Geesh dude, you'r on a GS, I assume you are hoping it isn't
Only about half of our group will be doing DS type riding. The others will all be on various sport and touring style bikes. I was askign for them The DS guys will be doing Palo Pinto Rd to Ruidosa down 170 to Casa Piedra Rd (169) up to Casa Piedra and Plata, then on up to Marfa. We'll probably explore some side roads along the way. I am hoping to send the street riders around the Ft. Davis loop, then down to Presidio and over to Study Butte and back up to Alpine. At last report, 170 was unpaved loose gravel for nearly 15 miles. I know for a fact that some of those street riders will freak at the prospect of 15 miles of gravel on a twisty road

Quote:
Supposed to go April 25th-27th. We'll be on KLR's. 2 of us so far.
The weekend right before that, we will be having lots of folks come over to do some riding in the SHNF and on the unpaved county roads in the area. Some of the folks will be doing the trails on full blown dirtbikes and others will be riding the numerous dirt roads in the area. A couple of the guys are also AdvRider guys. Here is the thread where we have been yakking about it and getting stuff setup. There are several good camping places right where we will be: Sam Houston State Park, Stubblefield Lake Nat'l Park, and a few others on/around Lake Conroe.

http://twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=3979

Anyone that would like to join us is welcome!

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 04-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #210
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,784
Quote:

Adios,
Dang, you'll miss all the great roads in-between
if you do austin-alpine in a day. I 10 is
sooooo boring compared to US 90

I can safely say that 67 from alpine
to Ft Stockton is one of the most
boring roads I've been on lately. Good
for making time though.

This is the time of year to go, temps
on easter weekend when we went were in the low
'90s.

If'n y'all want to do some dinner