Old 05-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #226
GSLad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thumb Fun Ride Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
I have this weekend off...

I have had this itch to get up to Arkansas to do some DS riding for some time. Thirdcoast's report did not help any...

IF I can swing it, I would like to head up to the area just North of I-40 and maybe stay in Ozark or Clarksville. I am not totally opposed to camping either. I would be leaving Huntsville Thursday morning, riding there Friday and Saturday, and returning Sunday evening.
Anyone interested?

Adios,
Hey Scott Tourmeister,

I'd love to make a run up to Arkyville, but can't make it this weekend. I am a Boy Scout leader and we have a camp out this weekend. From the camping trip, I'll have to ride my moto up to the pan handle for work, then up to Kansas, then across OK. Man, it's a tough job, ... Long story short, I was planning to ride over to Clarksville next weekend (Memorial Day weekend), if you have that weekend to ride, we could meet up. I've got some relatives in the area, and a nephew who rides, and should know some good trails/ roads.

Larry D.
Now, Time to Ride,
Type on this computer in the winter!!!
GSLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #227
GSLad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Welcome fellow Advrider Mtn Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizo
I'm new to the group. I live in Midland TX and I spend a lot of time in and around Big Bend National Park riding and hiking. I have many Big Bend pictures and a few motorcycle ride reports on my website at www.biketexas.net. Sorry I missed the last tour, it looks like you had a great ride.

Schizo
2001 klr650
Hey Schizo,

Welcome to the group. Great website. Makes me know that I have to get to Big Bend and do some real mountain biking.

I ride out through Midland several times a year. Next time out there, you'll have to introduce me to some good adventure rides in your area.

Larry D.
Now, Time to Ride,
Type on this computer in the winter!!!
GSLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #228
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,350
its just me again

Yup. changed email addresses and forgot my password.
I was, and for that matter still am, Andruboz.. [of New Braunfels,tx.]

Got the klr now but with many projects going this summer, may not get to rig it for long trip touring until late fall. great for fartin around locally though.

will try to meet the Sport-Touring.net folks in montrose, colorado [in june?]. maybe make it up to minnesota this summer and heck, if its slow at work in Sept, the concours could even make it to Vances' party.

Go Spurs Go!
andruboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #229
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
"Texas Adv riders"

I will be one soon. Yeap, the East is throwing ole Poonie out and now yall have to put up with me.

Moving back to Austin around July... we''ll see how many TX ADV rides are out and about around then

Looking forward to it . And yes, I agree that Texas should have her own forum.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #230
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Let us know when you are settled and we'll throw you a NAG reception. It'll be about time for another one by then.

Maybe late July would be good. Mrs. Cat and I are riding our bikes to Santa Fe the week of the 9th.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #231
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Will do CC. , but be careful what you invite me to, the "East" had to learn the hard way

I'll be bringing down a well used GS-S and a barely broken in DRZ (less I sell it first). Is there a Central Texas Old Farts With DRZ crowd?? If so I might keep her??
Old 05-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #232
schizo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLad

I ride out through Midland several times a year. Next time out there, you'll have to introduce me to some good adventure rides in your area.

Larry D.
There's not much adventure riding in my area. There are some sandhill pretty close, but I usually go to Big Bend for a good back country ride. The plains of the Texas Panhadle are nice, but not very challanging.
schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:46 AM   #233
scottw
Steppe Rider

Oddometer: 291
Want to buy a used DS in Texas soon

Hello Texas riders; Please forgive the thread hijack, but I just wanted to bring my thread in the flea market to your attention. I'm looking to buy a used DS bike and have it shipped from Georgetown to Mongolia. Time frame is very short.

Thanks!

-Scott
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:21 PM   #234
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
Is there a Central Texas Old Farts With DRZ crowd?? If so I might keep her??
I may qualify for that. Only 43 though, but I have the DRZ. I'm in Austin.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #235
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
GSLad,

We will be doing a TWT rally in Eureka Springs Memorial Day weekend. No DS riding though I'll be two up with the wife and she does not have an appreciation for the DS style of riding Something to do with, "Who will raise our baby if we get killed out here...??"

Woodbutcher, how'd the day in the dirt go this Sunday?

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #236
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
GSLad,

Woodbutcher, how'd the day in the dirt go this Sunday?

Adios,
Good day in the dirt. I'll get a couple of pics posted later. Huge trees in the area we parked. It was still very green and the rain on saturday had the sand firm, but the creek bed only had a few puddles left. I got four laps in and I thing Irondawg slipped an extra one in on me. Lupita forgot her helmet and had to share with Irondawg. She looped around the beginner/kids area and beeped the horn on that old DT80 everytime she came by. That little bike is in really good shape and John gets lots of complements on it.

The hard loop (which we did) had a couple of cool areas. One was a big dip that had some roots near the top on the way back up, then the trail went to the left as you hit the top. So basically you have to gas it enough to get up the steep hill and over the roots, but not so that you miss the turn. Guaranteed to catch air right at the top. It was actually easier to do than it sounds. Another was a turn into a steep, narrow downhill with a turn soon after. Had to watch to make sure you didn't go into it fast.

Anyway, no injuries, just sore muscles. Weather was good. Love bugs are starting to hit up this way. Fortunately that area is the northern/western edge of them so I don't get them at home.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #237
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
I'll be bringing down a well used GS-S and a barely broken in DRZ (less I sell it first). Is there a Central Texas Old Farts With DRZ crowd?? If so I might keep her??

There are several off road riding clubs that focus on the 200-400 size bikes. Most of them have annual dues and a certain amount of trail maintenance duties that reward you with unlimited access to a number of ranches when your can get into all kinds of trouble.

If you get a good price for your bike, I can understand selling it. But if you don't get a perfect offer, keep it. I'm sure yu can find a use for it here.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #238
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecat
There are several off road riding clubs that focus on the 200-400 size bikes. Most of them have annual dues and a certain amount of trail maintenance duties that reward you with unlimited access to a number of ranches when your can get into all kinds of trouble.

If you get a good price for your bike, I can understand selling it. But if you don't get a perfect offer, keep it. I'm sure yu can find a use for it here.

That's good to know CC. Its a matter of trailer space more than a strong desire to part with the DRZ. Hopefully I can work it out and get her there.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #239
Mountain Goat
Wandering Bike Dude

Oddometer: 205
Another ADV Rider Central Texas

I am at Temple, Tx. just south of Waco about 35 miles. I ride DR650s and DR350s. Man we need some kind of better way to organize and plan some rides.

Carl
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:12 PM   #240
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
I am at Temple, Tx. just south of Waco about 35 miles. I ride DR650s and DR350s. Man we need some kind of better way to organize and plan some rides.

Carl
Hey, that's damn close to me! We'll have to go riding some time.