Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2005, 09:39 PM   #16
ChubbyDodds
Mervin Cruddy

Oddometer: 7
"Hope you don't live around DNT/Preston Rd/SH121 we're in the process of fuckin' up your world "

Don't I know it! At least I can cross 121 from the DNT before exiting - well, most of the time anyway. It takes me longer to get out of Frisco than it does to go all the way to 635.
ChubbyDodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:12 PM   #17
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyDodds
Don't I know it! At least I can cross 121 from the DNT before exiting - well, most of the time anyway. It takes me longer to get out of Frisco than it does to go all the way to 635.
You can thank us for that as well, we built the interchange a coupla years back

Going east/west is gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Here's some time lapse on the interchange for you.

stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:21 PM   #18
Jeephoto
Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer: 433
Howdy Ya'll,

I'm in Grand Prairie, just west of Dallas.

I read and post on ADVrider, but I don't know if I would be considered an Adventure Rider. All I have are dirt bikes so my riding territory is limited to off road only. I love to travel and I especially like exploring all over Texas; I just do it in my Jeep. I hope to buy a Honda XR650L someday then maybe I can join ya'll on rides.

I'd like to explore the Hill Country, I'd like to ride up the coast from Galveston to Port Arthur, I'd like to ride the Angelina National Forest and I'd like to ride Big Bend. Texas has some great riding areas, I just need a dual-sport to take advantage of it.
Jeephoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #19
ChubbyDodds
Mervin Cruddy

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
You can thank us for that as well, we built the interchange a coupla years back

Going east/west is gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Here's some time lapse on the interchange for you.
Amazing pics! Puts the changes in perspective. East/west is definitely a beating already. Fortunately, I don't have to travel that route too often. I just have to sneak across 121 somewhere - Coit, Hillcrest, Preston, DNT. I'm sure all those will be dug up at once! I'll have to leave the day before to get to work on time!
ChubbyDodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:13 PM   #20
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyDodds
Amazing pics! Puts the changes in perspective. East/west is definitely a beating already. Fortunately, I don't have to travel that route too often. I just have to sneak across 121 somewhere - Coit, Hillcrest, Preston, DNT. I'm sure all those will be dug up at once! I'll have to leave the day before to get to work on time!
They're about to breakground on the DNT mainlanes up to Main St in Frisco, the good news is they had the foresight to build the feeders first so traffic won't be any slower than it is now...not that that is a good thing.

The infrastructure in that whole area is so far behind the residential growth, I doubt it will ever catch up, such is life in the big city.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #21
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
So if you live in Texas and post here, how about posting up so we have a way of contacting everyone. This way we can do a better job of getting out the word for Statewide stuff like trips to Big Bend, dirt riding in East Texas, etc,...
I live South of Houston. I love trips to the hill country or big bend area. Put something together for the Texas Riders and I am there, 'cept sometimes I have to work. I have an 1150GS now; but lusting for the F650 Dakar. Several folks from work are planning to ride part of the Trans-American Trail in April. We plan to do Arkansas East to West. I am hoping to have the F650 by then, or I might just do it on the 1150. Anyway, thanks for posting this to bring us Adv-Texans together.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:38 PM   #22
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
For anyone local to Houston or willing to ride a few hours to get here, I do weekend rides out into the National forests which includes a nice mix of paved and unpaved stuff.

I also do maintenance days. I have everything for doing the OVAD, twinmax, feeler gauges, etc,... Of course, you need to have the engine COLD to do the valves. So that would mean you show up the night before and we do it Saturday. I usually post that kind of event on the Two Wheeled Texans site and will also post it here.
I would be interested in learning more about your area and riding some of your routes. I live South of Houston, Alvin, TX. If you plan a ride PM me.

Also your maintenance days sound like a very great experience. I leave my service to BMW and as you know that is very expensive. I want to learn to do my own maintenance. The "Two Wheeled Texans" site is something I have to check out.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:41 PM   #23
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoast
I live South of Houston, Alvin, TX. If you plan a ride PM me.
The home town of Nolan Ryan
Old 01-15-2005, 11:45 PM   #24
RobTx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Arlington here. Got to be a lot of adventure and DS riders in Texas, we once had 13 KLR's together for breakfast a few months ago. And Third Coast, Joe's BBQ in Alvin ROCKS. A BBQ stuffed baked potato bigger than your head for $5! (I used to live in Pearland).
Rob
RobTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #25
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTx
(I used to live in Pearland).
Rob
Small world, I lived there (518 @ Old Alvin Rd), before moving to League City
Old 01-16-2005, 12:03 AM   #26
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Howdy,

I did Junior High, High School and a few years at ACC in Alvin. Graduated High School in '84.

There is a big meet going down on the TWT site. Everyone is meeting in Hico at the Koffee Kup Cafe for lunch/pie Jan 29th at 11:30am. So far we have about 40 people claiming they will show up.

http://twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=2789

There are regular Bike nights in the DFW area and in Houston. The Austin people seem to have a hard time getting organized, hehe. Although they did meet at Blue Bonnet Cafe for lunch this afternoon. Another TWT member was picking up a new to her Vstrom 1000 in Leander. They rode 1431 and LCR. If you are interested in any of the meets, just keep an eye on the Upcoming events forum on TWT:

http://twtex.com/viewforum.php?f=8

If anyone has an itch to come riding over here in the woods, let me know. I occasionally get a free weekend to ride and am always happy to do so when I can. Here is a list of the rides/trips I am already planning for this year:

http://backroadmotorcycletours.com/events.htm

We just had our first baby in Dec so I am running behind in getting all the links to the events updated with all the info. But I am working on it! The Colorado trip looks like it is going to be a popular one in June.

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #27
Hacksaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Present
Nederland
Matthew 22:37-39
Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

http://hacksaw.smugmug.com/
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #28
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Tourmeister,
I'm in the Cypress area.

We need to get together and ride some of the roads up in your area.

Let me know.

Waco Kid How are things going?
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #29
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
DFW here.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #30
walks
Beer budget adventurer

Oddometer: 74
San Marcos, Texas

Quote:
Howdy,

Okay, so I poked around and the closest thing I could find to a thread where Texas riders can all find each other is the NAG thread, which is mostly Austinites.
I'm checking in from San Marcos. My new KLR has 13 miles on it and I need to break that puppy in. I'll be looking to do some Hill Country riding soon enough. Maybe even head over to East Texas (Huntsville area) to visit family and do some National Forest riding. Planning a trip to Mexico in March, another to Big Bend when I can get away.