Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #61
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
[QUOTE=Ant Ware]We did Creel-Batopilas in a day. Played around in Batopilas leaving late the next day and wanting to camp in the canyon we stayed at La Bufa, then back to Creel the next day.[UOTE=Ant Ware]

It doesn't look like the route we took, I don't recognize the towns, but still hats off to you for making it though. Hats off to me for only droping my 1150 twice and my friend only droping it once.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:08 PM   #62
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoast
What type of bike got drowned out in the river? Guy from work is talking me into the KLR650 due to lack of sofisticated electronics. You could dry it out and be back on the trail. What ya think?
It was a GS1100. Didn't get the engine cut off as it went over so it sucked water down the intake, hydrolocking the motor. We drained the airbox and exhaust, pulled the plugs and cranked the water outta the cylinders but couldn't get it to fire. The starter housing was broken and if I remember correctly there were a couple of electrical issues which meant no matter how long we had stayed there this thing wasn't going out under it's own power. We eventually got the bike to Austin where IronDawg got it sorted out.

Like I said, it was a collective fubar, there's no reason that river wasn't doable regardless of bike, although there was a fella there on a KLR that made it across 3 times

Here's the original trip report LINK
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:10 PM   #63
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
It doesn't look like the route we took, I don't recognize the towns, but still hats off to you for making it though. Hats off to me for only droping my 1150 twice and my friend only droping it once.
That's all part of it, you've got to hand it to the Beemers, they do crash well
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:06 AM   #64
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,272
Santa Fe rider checking in

Only got 3K on the new GS with not much dirt as of yet. Hopefully ThirdCoast and I will get to do something about that. I have however found that the machine is lazy and will lay down on ya if ya don't keep yer spurs dug in at times.

Howdy Scott
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #65
Bounce
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Harry Potter fan?
Kid, Been out of town for a couple of days, so my reply is tardy. My daughter is a huge Potter fan and named my new GS "Buckbeak" the day I brought it home. I'm glad I didn't buy yellow cuz then I'd probably be stuck with "Big Bird". Anyhow, I couldn't think of anything more clever when I registered.

If you won't stand behind our troops, please stand in front of them
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #66
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
The main reason for disabling a radiator fan is to keep the fan blades from being drawn/pulled into the radiator itself. It's common for vehicles set up for this type of thing to have a circular guard on the engine side of the radiator that prevents the fan blades from contacting said radiator.
Thanks for the information. This site is such a great resource of information that it has become my favorite site. I wish that they would consider an adventure forum for just us Texans. After all, we have to travel great distances to meet and find mountains and stuff. It is not like Colorado where the good stuff is in your back yard.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:18 PM   #67
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrno2
Native Texan on a KLR650.
I was looking at the BMW F650 Dakar, but looking harder at the KLR... What do you think about the KLR650 and what modification are necessary to get the beast to carry the load (me and camping gear). I am thinking front and rear progressive springs... others stuff. Let me know your view point.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #68
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
We eventually got the bike to Austin where IronDawg got it sorted out.

Like I said, it was a collective fubar, there's no reason that river wasn't doable regardless of bike, although there was a fella there on a KLR that made it across 3 times Here's the original trip report LINK
I have read the original trip report, but maybe didn't get all the way to the end. I'll look again. You make some of the most awsome trip reports that I have seen. I have seen IronDawg on here and I would really like to meet some of you guys face to face. Some of you are way more experienced than I; and, I want to learn from you because I know that I love this stuff.

What are your thoughts on the KLR650... I was lusting for the BMW-F650 but the price is way high... I currently have the 1150GS Sport model, (non-abs) and will not sell it... but it is not the do-all bike that the sales pitch guys told me about. What do you think about the KLR650, I have friends that ride them and swear about them, hehe on the highway, but love them in the dirt.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:39 PM   #69
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKBEAK
Kid, Been out of town for a couple of days, so my reply is tardy. My daughter is a huge Potter fan and named my new GS "Buckbeak" the day I brought it home. I'm glad I didn't buy yellow cuz then I'd probably be stuck with "Big Bird". Anyhow, I couldn't think of anything more clever when I registered.
So funny, I like that whole thing. Welcome BuckBeak. I have the yellow sport model so Big Nurd might me my name. haha
Old 01-20-2005, 07:45 PM   #70
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
That's all part of it, you've got to hand it to the Beemers, they do crash well
Mine has had hardly a scratch from me. My son did put scratches on it when he laid it down on pavement (just hand gaurds and plastic engine gaurds). But off- road the big jugs sticking out the side make excellent crash bars. Very well designed to make built in crash jugs. Much better than crash bars.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:58 PM   #71
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies
Only got 3K on the new GS with not much dirt as of yet. Hopefully ThirdCoast and I will get to do something about that. I have however found that the machine is lazy and will lay down on ya if ya don't keep yer spurs dug in at times.

Howdy Scott
I really am a rookie but I have done copper canyon. It was my first trip off road. What little I learned is that power is your friend. Keep the power on, go faster than you think you need to. Hammer down and the BMW suspension will soak up the mistakes that I make. Those more expeirenced please feel free to abuse me if I can learn from it. From what I see, faster is better. Sorry about so many posts in one night, I have been working and just not getting caught up.

The whole idea of a Texas forum is a good one. I hope the moderators consider it. We are not all that bad. MODERATOR please consider. I love this forum.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #72
formulals1
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
The whole idea of a Texas forum is a good one. I hope the moderators consider it. We are not all that bad. MODERATOR please consider. I love this forum.
Maybe Arch could put a bug in the proper ears.
formulals1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #73
therockmantex
Geezer

Oddometer: 68
Pissed Texas Adventure Riders Check In Here

Hi. I am Steve from Bryan. I ride a XR650R (tagged), FJR-1300, & a1800 Wing. I try to get over to the hill country 2-3 times a month and would like to take the XR to Big Bend with someone who knows the dirt roads out there. Always open for a weekend ride -dirt or street.
therockmantex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:02 PM   #74
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockmantex
Hi. I am Steve from Bryan. I ride a XR650R (tagged), FJR-1300, & a1800 Wing. I try to get over to the hill country 2-3 times a month and would like to take the XR to Big Bend with someone who knows the dirt roads out there. Always open for a weekend ride -dirt or street.
Desert Sky knows his way around; at leat I think he does. Anyway we are planning to go next month. I have been the the Big Bend park it's self but looks like he know way more than I. I'll follow him.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:19 PM   #75
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies
Hammer down is the way that worked best for me. I got in trouble when I took my hand off the throttle. Let's do big bend and we will have a blast doing the hamer down thing. Hey, will you help me pick my bike up, it has fallen and can't get up.