ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #1156
farfetch
this is what I look like
 
farfetch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Australia...touring
Oddometer: 149
texas riders

new to texas, ride an 1150 ADV, made it out to Big bend last weekend loved it. Regretfully did it in the truck, I dont ride dirt two up. looking to ride out again, possibly next weekend ( the lady is out of town), got a hunkering for black gap road. a four day is the way to go for big bend, a 3 day is possible. based out of Temple. wondering, doubtfull if any dirt riding is close by. Hard to find good riding public land in this state.
__________________
“Beware the phantom dozer!”

http://thelongestfriday.com/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=orizaba
farfetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #1157
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas
 
Zapp22's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Tejas Hill Country
Oddometer: 13,615
there's more dirt than you think. just a pain to find it on maps.
some guys here turned me to acmemapper - as it has better detail on unimproved roads. Also, the paper-book "The Roads of Texas" has terrific detail on unimproveds. The problem is that you don't know which ones might have locked gates.

not that far from temple are the areas described in Eric [austinite] post:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=414

there's also a good bit of dirt stretches near Bastrop, and a lot of other areas. just takes some digging to find.

You might also check on this thread for the Thanksgiving run: i forget what the organizers called it, but two years running, a dualsport ride originating in Austin and covering a few of the same spots mentioned in the thread above, plus more. basically north and westward out of austin. I think austinite Kenaroo was one of the organizers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by farfetch
new to texas, ride an 1150 ADV, made it out to Big bend last weekend loved it. Regretfully did it in the truck, I dont ride dirt two up. looking to ride out again, possibly next weekend ( the lady is out of town), got a hunkering for black gap road. a four day is the way to go for big bend, a 3 day is possible. based out of Temple. wondering, doubtfull if any dirt riding is close by. Hard to find good riding public land in this state.
__________________
Zapp
"I will not let the White City fall... nor our people fail.” - Aragorn
K4 WEESTROM Stealthfighter Black -SOLD - Invisible to Radar, '02 DR650SE SOLD ,'Ole 97' DR650SE My Fave K5 WEESTROM ADVbomber
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #1158
graemebo
Hello Feng's Mansion!
 
graemebo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 103
Back in SA TX

Just moved back to San Antonio after 3 years in FL. Got some riding done there but looking for riding here now. Really like riding the 525, but doctors orders have me waiting till Jun. I am able to ride the GS, so any info, web forums or info on upcoming rides would be appreciated. Glad to be back in TX.
__________________
Graeme
04, 525 EXC
05, R1200GS
graemebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #1159
scooterhose
Dare to Win Well
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: OUT THERE !
Oddometer: 8,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by graemebo
Just moved back to San Antonio after 3 years in FL. Got some riding done there but looking for riding here now. Really like riding the 525, but doctors orders have me waiting till Jun. I am able to ride the GS, so any info, web forums or info on upcoming rides would be appreciated. Glad to be back in TX.
Welcome back.


This is a good place to start for info.
__________________
Scooter
scooterhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #1160
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas
 
Zapp22's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Tejas Hill Country
Oddometer: 13,615
welcome back also
I'm north of you in Comal Co.
For the 525, there's the Dirt Bike club there in san antonio that keeps a play ranch for bikes etc. But for dualsporting ... sheesh, there's a lot going on thankfully. the second annual Texas Adventure Ride out of Junction is coming up quickly: April 24 weekend. need to get registered if you want to do that one.
If you come out to the hill country and want to meet and ride pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemebo
Just moved back to San Antonio after 3 years in FL. Got some riding done there but looking for riding here now. Really like riding the 525, but doctors orders have me waiting till Jun. I am able to ride the GS, so any info, web forums or info on upcoming rides would be appreciated. Glad to be back in TX.
__________________
Zapp
"I will not let the White City fall... nor our people fail.” - Aragorn
K4 WEESTROM Stealthfighter Black -SOLD - Invisible to Radar, '02 DR650SE SOLD ,'Ole 97' DR650SE My Fave K5 WEESTROM ADVbomber
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #1161
Klantz
Texas born and bred
 
Klantz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Oddometer: 69
Hey zapp

Hey zapp, I'm headed back into town. I'll be living in the Austin area. Do you know if scott is still around? We'll have to do a ride, I'll be around all summer long and need to hit some hill country roads.
__________________
'82 XL500R, "filthy whore"
'04 Weestrom, (sold)
Klantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #1162
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere between here and there.
Oddometer: 158
I need to hurry up and get my '08 R1200GSA already!
__________________
What's in front of you is what kills you, what's behind you only gives you tickets.
heavyjeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #1163
00SS
Always a vicious cycle
 
00SS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Keller, Texas
Oddometer: 1,646
+1 Hopefully on or around the 5th of May it should be delivered
__________________
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
00SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #1164
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas
 
Zapp22's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Tejas Hill Country
Oddometer: 13,615
yes but he's got a wedding coming up shortly.. in May. cuttin' into his riding time! ... actually, he's hardcore: commutes on the bigstrom every day

lets finally take that ride.. just not on day with 70mph crosswinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klantz
Hey zapp, I'm headed back into town. I'll be living in the Austin area. Do you know if scott is still around? We'll have to do a ride, I'll be around all summer long and need to hit some hill country roads.
__________________
Zapp
"I will not let the White City fall... nor our people fail.” - Aragorn
K4 WEESTROM Stealthfighter Black -SOLD - Invisible to Radar, '02 DR650SE SOLD ,'Ole 97' DR650SE My Fave K5 WEESTROM ADVbomber
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #1165
Klantz
Texas born and bred
 
Klantz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Oddometer: 69
Sounds like a plan, maybe we should schedule a RTE up to coopers starting in NB, we can head up 281 and some side roads till we hit 71 and find Llano. How about the 11th? I'll be riding 2 up probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
yes but he's got a wedding coming up shortly.. in May. cuttin' into his riding time! ... actually, he's hardcore: commutes on the bigstrom every day

lets finally take that ride.. just not on day with 70mph crosswinds
__________________
'82 XL500R, "filthy whore"
'04 Weestrom, (sold)
Klantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #1166
pbureau69
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Royse City, Texas
Oddometer: 14
Nice to see ya again Tourmeister :)

I have been in Texas since 1997, Left the Frozen Canadian City of Montreal back when to find a State I can Ride most of the year....

Now to invent: textile suit with AC plugin Air conditionning.
__________________
Patrick B. 05 Modded GS500F with mods.
pbureau69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #1167
DirtRideRoader
Armed and Dangerous
 
DirtRideRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbureau69
Nice to see ya again Tourmeister :)

I have been in Texas since 1997, Left the Frozen Canadian City of Montreal back when to find a State I can Ride most of the year....

Now to invent: textile suit with AC plugin Air conditionning.
There was an article going around the internet a few years ago about an AC for motorcycle riders. Being worked on in Israel maybe?
__________________
Chris
IBA #23263
DirtRideRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #1168
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere between here and there.
Oddometer: 158
So am I an ADVRider if I commute 120 miles clean across San Antonio dodging screaming soccer mom's in SUV's, worktrucks with 17 people in them and wannabe racer kids in Honda Civic on a Hayabusa for work?

Might not be the adventure I'd like, but it sure seems freakin' adventurous sometimes!
__________________
What's in front of you is what kills you, what's behind you only gives you tickets.
heavyjeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #1169
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,305
Hey guys!

I lurked on this sight for about a year and finally bought a DR250s about 3-4 weeks ago. I'm a newbie, but haven't had much time to practice yet as I was working on bringing the bike up to par both functionally and to get inspected. I live in DFW (Euless for the locals) and this is my first visit t the regional forums.
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #1170
DirtRideRoader
Armed and Dangerous
 
DirtRideRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
So am I an ADVRider if I commute 120 miles clean across San Antonio dodging screaming soccer mom's in SUV's, worktrucks with 17 people in them and wannabe racer kids in Honda Civic on a Hayabusa for work?

Might not be the adventure I'd like, but it sure seems freakin' adventurous sometimes!
One of your Texas Hayabusa bretheren rode his to Alaska. While not as adventurous as commuting in San Antonio, just shows you can do anything on one of those long bad bikes.
Not sure if I read about it here or on www.TWTEX.com.
__________________
Chris
IBA #23263
DirtRideRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014