User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #1156
farfetch
this is what I look like

Oddometer: 149
texas riders

new to texas, ride an 1150 ADV, made it out to Big bend last weekend loved it. Regretfully did it in the truck, I dont ride dirt two up. looking to ride out again, possibly next weekend ( the lady is out of town), got a hunkering for black gap road. a four day is the way to go for big bend, a 3 day is possible. based out of Temple. wondering, doubtfull if any dirt riding is close by. Hard to find good riding public land in this state.

http://thelongestfriday.com/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=orizaba
farfetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #1157
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,615
there's more dirt than you think. just a pain to find it on maps.
some guys here turned me to acmemapper - as it has better detail on unimproved roads. Also, the paper-book "The Roads of Texas" has terrific detail on unimproveds. The problem is that you don't know which ones might have locked gates.

not that far from temple are the areas described in Eric [austinite] post:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=414

there's also a good bit of dirt stretches near Bastrop, and a lot of other areas. just takes some digging to find.

You might also check on this thread for the Thanksgiving run: i forget what the organizers called it, but two years running, a dualsport ride originating in Austin and covering a few of the same spots mentioned in the thread above, plus more. basically north and westward out of austin. I think austinite Kenaroo was one of the organizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfetch
new to texas, ride an 1150 ADV, made it out to Big bend last weekend loved it. Regretfully did it in the truck, I dont ride dirt two up. looking to ride out again, possibly next weekend ( the lady is out of town), got a hunkering for black gap road. a four day is the way to go for big bend, a 3 day is possible. based out of Temple. wondering, doubtfull if any dirt riding is close by. Hard to find good riding public land in this state.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #1158
graemebo
Hello Feng's Mansion!

Oddometer: 103
Back in SA TX

Just moved back to San Antonio after 3 years in FL. Got some riding done there but looking for riding here now. Really like riding the 525, but doctors orders have me waiting till Jun. I am able to ride the GS, so any info, web forums or info on upcoming rides would be appreciated. Glad to be back in TX.
graemebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #1159
scooterhose
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 8,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by graemebo
Just moved back to San Antonio after 3 years in FL. Got some riding done there but looking for riding here now. Really like riding the 525, but doctors orders have me waiting till Jun. I am able to ride the GS, so any info, web forums or info on upcoming rides would be appreciated. Glad to be back in TX.
Welcome back.

This is a good place to start for info.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #1160
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

welcome back also
I'm north of you in Comal Co.
For the 525, there's the Dirt Bike club there in san antonio that keeps a play ranch for bikes etc. But for dualsporting ... sheesh, there's a lot going on thankfully. the second annual Texas Adventure Ride out of Junction is coming up quickly: April 24 weekend. need to get registered if you want to do that one.
If you come out to the hill country and want to meet and ride pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemebo
Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #1161
Klantz
Texas born and bred

Oddometer: 69
Hey zapp

Hey zapp, I'm headed back into town. I'll be living in the Austin area. Do you know if scott is still around? We'll have to do a ride, I'll be around all summer long and need to hit some hill country roads.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #1162
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™

Oddometer: 158
I need to hurry up and get my '08 R1200GSA already!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #1163
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,646
+1 Hopefully on or around the 5th of May it should be delivered
Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #1164
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

yes but he's got a wedding coming up shortly.. in May. cuttin' into his riding time! ... actually, he's hardcore: commutes on the bigstrom every day

lets finally take that ride.. just not on day with 70mph crosswinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klantz
Hey zapp, I'm headed back into town. I'll be living in the Austin area. Do you know if scott is still around? We'll have to do a ride, I'll be around all summer long and need to hit some hill country roads.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #1165
Klantz
Texas born and bred

Oddometer: 69
Sounds like a plan, maybe we should schedule a RTE up to coopers starting in NB, we can head up 281 and some side roads till we hit 71 and find Llano. How about the 11th? I'll be riding 2 up probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
yes but he's got a wedding coming up shortly.. in May. cuttin' into his riding time! ... actually, he's hardcore: commutes on the bigstrom every day

lets finally take that ride.. just not on day with 70mph crosswinds
Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #1166
pbureau69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Nice to see ya again Tourmeister :)

I have been in Texas since 1997, Left the Frozen Canadian City of Montreal back when to find a State I can Ride most of the year....

Now to invent: textile suit with AC plugin Air conditionning.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #1167
DirtRideRoader
Armed and Dangerous

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbureau69
Nice to see ya again Tourmeister :)

I have been in Texas since 1997, Left the Frozen Canadian City of Montreal back when to find a State I can Ride most of the year....

Now to invent: textile suit with AC plugin Air conditionning.
There was an article going around the internet a few years ago about an AC for motorcycle riders. Being worked on in Israel maybe?
IBA #23263
DirtRideRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #1168
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™

Oddometer: 158
So am I an ADVRider if I commute 120 miles clean across San Antonio dodging screaming soccer mom's in SUV's, worktrucks with 17 people in them and wannabe racer kids in Honda Civic on a Hayabusa for work?

Might not be the adventure I'd like, but it sure seems freakin' adventurous sometimes!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #1169
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Hey guys!

I lurked on this sight for about a year and finally bought a DR250s about 3-4 weeks ago. I'm a newbie, but haven't had much time to practice yet as I was working on bringing the bike up to par both functionally and to get inspected. I live in DFW (Euless for the locals) and this is my first visit t the regional forums.
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #1170
DirtRideRoader
Armed and Dangerous

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
So am I an ADVRider if I commute 120 miles clean across San Antonio dodging screaming soccer mom's in SUV's, worktrucks with 17 people in them and wannabe racer kids in Honda Civic on a Hayabusa for work?

Might not be the adventure I'd like, but it sure seems freakin' adventurous sometimes!
One of your Texas Hayabusa bretheren rode his to Alaska. While not as adventurous as commuting in San Antonio, just shows you can do anything on one of those long bad bikes.
Not sure if I read about it here or on www.TWTEX.com.
IBA #23263
DirtRideRoader is offline   Reply With Quote